What's new

The Science of QUAN - Ultimate Video Guide

Thanks again, Mayo.

I've been maining Quan for three weeks now. I'm doing incredibly well, even online. People simply aren't prepared for a competent Quan, and his mix-ups are downright evil.

If only I could land AA f1, Trance more often...

Mayo you have the best tutorials i've seen on here tbh. ALMOST made me use quan lol[i might now though with him getting a buff in the patch], but your and teefs tutorial made me use and buy kenshi. Keep making these!

Good stuff Mayo.

I have been using Quan for the last month or so, mainly because of your video, and am loving him. Checked out your info on the new Quan tech on the stream and I will admit to being a Quan player that over uses the EX rune trap to to often in a match. Definitely something to work on and your new discoveries will definitely make that meter management a bit easier.

Thanks for the great info. :)

Hey guys. Sunday night 9-4 I'll be on STBL revealing some pieces of the new Quan tech we've been working on for the past 3 weeks. Tune in! http://www.twitch.tv/s1lent1
"No one has even mentioned it before; that the Trance gives time to build meter."

Wanted to note that you can whiff a Trance or Sky Drop now after a successful Trance for a bit of extra meter, though you lose positioning and the dj.1 can become a bit difficult.
:(
Whatever; it wasn't very easy to find the post and I hadn't optimized it, but I'd been doing that since the patch came out... good thing more people know about it now, though. Guess I should post something like that in a more obvious place next time... Had no idea you had time for both Trance and Rune, though; gonna have to use that from now on. Going to try ending combos with whiffed Trance a bit more, as well; I've considered it before, but thought that the damage and meter from the Ground Burst ender in addition to the better oki(also potentially providing damage and meter) made that the better option... I'm rather interested to see what else you've found.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Surprised you left the reset out. I've gotten more flawless victories with this offline than with any other character.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
"No one has even mentioned it before; that the Trance gives time to build meter."

:(
Whatever; it wasn't very easy to find the post and I hadn't optimized it, but I'd been doing that since the patch came out... good thing more people know about it now, though. Guess I should post something like that in a more obvious place next time... Had no idea you had time for both Trance and Rune, though; gonna have to use that from now on. Going to try ending combos with whiffed Trance a bit more, as well; I've considered it before, but thought that the damage and meter from the Ground Burst ender in addition to the better oki(also potentially providing damage and meter) made that the better option... I'm rather interested to see what else you've found.
Hey Krames. Sorry I hadn't seen your post. The thought had occurred to me that other people could be using the trance, or other freeze moves with other characters, as a meter opportunity. But I hadn't heard anything to this extent of capitalizing on the potential of it to alter his game. I think if it's talked about that "you can whiff 2 specials during the trance", it won't seem like a big deal and people would shrug it off. Now they'll know the unique meter rates for certain specials, start earning breakers, and be able to set up long Rune Traps when they're far away from enough meter to do so. But I would have said something if I knew, trust me man. I just really wanted to full present this in a mathematical breakdown to show just exactly what you can do (or rather, get away with!) with this stuff.

And for everyone else, here's a check out my new thread explaining all the new Quan meter building tech right here.
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?11294-The-new-Quan-meter-building-tech.

Error

DF2+R2
Quanstion, What's the difference between 2,1 ex rune and 2, 1, 2 ex rune when doing rune traps?

2, 1, Ex Rune will always hit, unless Breakered. After 2, 1, 2 your opponent can retaliate, escape, etc...
You know, I've been wondering about this myself for quite a long time now... when exactly can you get out? I always assumed that was the reason nobody did it, but I'm trying to find a time or way to get out in training right now, but can't; the opponent's stagger off the EX Rune lasts long enough to dash forward and connect with another b+3, 2, f+1, 1, etc. Blocking the 2,1,2 keeps the opponent in blockstun for too long to do anything about the EX Rune and getting hit by the 2,1,2 leaves the opponent staggering long enough to get hit by the EX Rune. Am I missing something?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
How about in the corner?
Here's the difference between 2 1 EX Rune and 2 1 2 EX Rune. 2% chip damage. They are both inescapable. The EX Rune comes out way too fast for them to recover from block stun. Here's what you want to do. If you're using a single Rune in a trap, do 2 1 2 EX Rune to take the extra chip damage. If you're doing multiple runes, you use 2 1 Rune to keep them close enough for the next 2 1 to hit, and so on, until your final rune. And then you do 2 1 2 rune. There is no way for them to retaliate between the 2 and the rune. It's only a matter of keeping them close for the duration of the trap.

In the corner you can do 2 1 2 rune repeatedly.

You sure you can't dash in after 2,1,2 xx EX Rune and connect another 2,1,2 xx EX Rune or b+3 or f+1? That seems to be the case in training. I've tried it on a friend with various combinations of blocking and taking hits, but my friend could not get out. The meter gain off the extra hits would be nice if it's possible.

Here's the difference between 2 1 EX Rune and 2 1 2 EX Rune. 2% chip damage. They are both inescapable. The EX Rune comes out way too fast for them to recover from block stun. Here's what you want to do. If you're using a single Rune in a trap, do 2 1 2 EX Rune to take the extra chip damage. If you're doing multiple runes, you use 2 1 Rune to keep them close enough for the next 2 1 to hit, and so on, until your final rune. And then you do 2 1 2 rune. There is no way for them to retaliate between the 2 and the rune. It's only a matter of keeping them close for the duration of the trap.

In the corner you can do 2 1 2 rune repeatedly.
I have had a few escape when I was testing 2, 1, 2 EX Rune. Must have been an error on my end, or lag.

Good to know.

Faceless Felon

Technician
I'll be honest, There isn't to many "Kombotists" out there that can teach me something I don't know. You, Under_The_Mayo, have done just that. I can't stop watching this video!

This is a really great combo video so thanks for that.

I'm wondering though, when you say you get a free jump in punch after ex skull does that mean I'm suppose to hit them for free or that they'll have to block it? And is it better to just use ex rune or ex skull for resets?

I'm wondering though, when you say you get a free jump in punch after ex skull does that mean I'm suppose to hit them for free or that they'll have to block it? And is it better to just use ex rune or ex skull for resets?
The timing is strict with the JIP, and I'm not sure it is free.

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope

I've been in the lab with Quan extensively and exclusively for the past few days and I believe the ex skull gives a free jump-in, and the punch must be blocked. This isn't a bad thing, however, far from it, as it opens another mixup opportunity for Quan that can lead into full combos, whether you hit the JIP -> any starter, or it's blocked -> b3,1+2/f1,2/u3 -> trance.

In my opinion, if your playing online or just wanna play safe, stick with the rune. If you wanna risk it and go big or go home, try your luck with the skull.

Error

DF2+R2
So I heard safe jump was removed from skydrop because it was "too strong," but Scorpion's fine.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Ex Skull provides a safe jump in and makes you look like a gangsta.... Safe jump ins are key for quan because it allows him to start mixups.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
212 EX runex3 is not escapable even midscreen.Plus another setup is that if the opponent tries to jump out of the runetrap QC can do 212 trance for another combo.So the best option is combo breaker.

Edit: Dont know if its escapable if you do a veeery fast ex armored move though.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
212 EX runex3 is not escapeable even midscreen.Plus another setup is that if the opponent tries to jump out of the runetrap QC can do 212 trance for another combo.So the best option is combo breaker.

Edit: Dont know if its escapable if you do a veeery fast ex armored move though.
Take the last hit of 212 to get out should work right? I cant remember if it knocks you down or not.