What's new

The RoboCop Thread

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Unfortunately I almost never use the Cobra Cannon, so not sure about setups with it. The rockets don't get you a kb, but they do drastically enhance your f21 string, since the amp rockets leave you +8 on block. The sequence of f21~bf2.amp-dash-f212 triggers the f212 kb like 9 times out of 10 since people try to mash after they block the rocket.

Surprisingly, I might stop using Low Auto-9 except in a few specific matchups where I need to shoot under projectiles. I've been having a ton of success using a loadout of Rockets, Flamethrower, and OCP Charge and playing a mostly rush-down RoboCop. Against a lot of characters, tossing out an Amp Mine and then using OCP charge is almost a guaranteed way to get in, it deals great chip, it's usually plus but at worst it's totally safe, and it opens up some really swaggy conversions.

All day I've been beating people who usually spank my Low Auto-9 variations really hard, including the Sindel I fought a few days ago and some crazy high-level Erron Black players. I highly recommend giving this variation a shot (no pun intended...).

My robo is totally bad right now. Was grinding Kano until I hit a wall of superior players where it feels like he isn't improving lmfao. I'm about to switch back to Murphy, and trying to focus on properly utilizing all available KB's

I never used the rocket like that...good to know. I do think air charge is the wave for Robo. Even if you don't play rush down, the threat makes his zoning multidimensional.

Any setups or conversions off the top of your head using the amp mine?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Any setups or conversions off the top of your head using the amp mine?
Just the ones I posted in those videos. You get a free mine after f212 or arm cannon hit. Once the mine is down, you can basically OCP Charge to get in for free and are usually super plus if they block it, enough to where it's a true strike/grab mix. If they block the Charge but eat the mine, you can usually convert into f32~ender for roughly 25% percent. In the corner, you get this conversion even if they eat both the Charge and the Mine for a total of roughly 35%. You can also deal an unblockable 12% by grabbing the opponent before the mine detonates.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Anyone have any tips for dealing with Air Gas Kabal? Can't zone him, can't fight him up close, and can't go for any kombos while he has breaker or you risk eating a max-damage punish. Air Buzzsaw beats Anti-Air Shot. You can try to use preemptive j1 but if he doesn't jump then you eat a full kombo. If you try to react with j1 you eat his j2 or jk into a full kombo. Even if you hit, you can't safely go for a kombo. If he doesn't have breaker and you manage to j1 him and you manage to convert that into f32, you're still only dealing 20ish%.

The entire match is basically you just trying to guess, but when you win the guess you get maybe 20% if you're lucky and he doesn't have breaker, but if he wins the guess you eat 35% into more oki, and his guesses are more likely to win, like flipping a coin weighted heavily in his favor.

Once he's in, he can just keep jumping back-and-forth over you and you can't do shit about it. Go for an s1 or f3 anti-air and lose 35% health into more oki. Try to low profile with d3 and lose 35% health into more oki. Try to d2, watch it whiff, and then eat 35% health into more oki. Try to db1 and lose 35% health into more oki. And the entire time this is happening, you have to watch out for staggers, throws, and 50/50s. Maybe, maybe, you're a Jedi and you managed to catch him with a hit and hey, let's say you're the luckiest person in the world and he doesn't have breaker for some reason, then you might be able to convert into 20ish% before he wakes up and just air-gasses back into your face.

Right now, this straight-up feels like an unwinnable matchup. I've managed to take a few rounds from some of the sweaty Kabals I face, but it's almost entirely luck, landing stray hits, blocking yolo Nomad Dashes and FB's, etc. If the Kabal doesn't play like a potato, wtf is Robo supposed to do?

The more I play this game, the more furious I get about how much the terrible breaker system utterly screws RoboCop. Toxic opponents are constantly whining about his zoning and asking why we don't go for kombos, but legit he gets punished for trying to kombo. It's pretty terrible, not gonna lie.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
The more I play this game, the more furious I get about how much the terrible breaker system utterly screws RoboCop. Toxic opponents are constantly whining about his zoning and asking why we don't go for kombos, but legit he gets punished for trying to kombo. It's pretty terrible, not gonna lie.
Unfortunately never dealt too much with one beyond occasional KL set. The game's plus frames on jump ins pretty much make that kabal stuff OP, so I just eat the L and move on lol.

Your last point is why I feel like Flamethrower is such a necessary combo ender for Robo...it keeps him unga bunga but I ain't eating no dmg for hit confirming either lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
and can't go for any kombos while he has breaker or you risk eating a max-damage punish.

What's your normal kit with Robot Constable? I just bought all the expansion stuff and I now I have access to RoboCop. Just thought I'd did into practice mode with him. Also, which combos get punished from breakaway?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What's your normal kit with Robot Constable? I just bought all the expansion stuff and I now I have access to RoboCop. Just thought I'd did into practice mode with him. Also, which combos get punished from breakaway?
I need to experiment with his kombos to see if anything is safe, but so far it's pretty dire. If you launch with f42, b2, or d2 kb and commit to any full string, you will get full-kombo punished. If you even just do f32, see that they break, and end the string, you can still be full-kombo punished. S4 does solid damage, so I plan to experiment with using it in my kombos instead of f32.

My try-hard kit is low-auto, arm cannon, terminal strip. But I mostly just play with friends and like to do less zoning, so I use OCP Charge - Arm Cannon - Flamethrower quite a bit.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Just so I understand:

B2 - At it's simplest, if you go B2-D2 it's 176 if you simply commit and they don't break, and leaves RoboCop +30, or if they do break it's 139 damage (equivalent of a throw) and you're right next to the opponent. Not sure what the hit advantage is on this, or what kind of pressure options it leaves him.

F42 - So at it's safest, this string hits for 78. Can you follow up with an immediate J3 and still be safe? That yields 135.88 damage, but whiffs if they don't break. Otherwise if they break would this let RoboCop set up either his grenade or his Cheval trap? The damage clearly sucks on this, no way around it, but at least it gives frames for RoboCop to back off and create space. Not ideal, but seems like the only viable way to go if safety is your main thing.

F32 - If you end with a simple amped Flamethrower, seems like you bag an unbreakable 19% damage into a +17 re-stand.

What abilities are you normally selecting? My first thought is that if people are going to breakaway does it give Robocop any free setups?

Cleary the mechanic isn't great for him since is combo damage is already fairly low. On the positive side he does get more damage from zoning anyways, so if nothing else him getting a chance to just backup and force the opponent to come in isn't the worst thing in the world.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just so I understand:

B2 - At it's simplest, if you go B2-D2 it's 176 if you simply commit and they don't break, and leaves RoboCop +30, or if they do break it's 139 damage (equivalent of a throw) and you're right next to the opponent. Not sure what the hit advantage is on this, or what kind of pressure options it leaves him.

F42 - So at it's safest, this string hits for 78. Can you follow up with an immediate J3 and still be safe? That yields 135.88 damage, but whiffs if they don't break. Otherwise if they break would this let RoboCop set up either his grenade or his Cheval trap? The damage clearly sucks on this, no way around it, but at least it gives frames for RoboCop to back off and create space. Not ideal, but seems like the only viable way to go if safety is your main thing.

F32 - If you end with a simple amped Flamethrower, seems like you bag an unbreakable 19% damage into a +17 re-stand.

What abilities are you normally selecting? My first thought is that if people are going to breakaway does it give Robocop any free setups?

Cleary the mechanic isn't great for him since is combo damage is already fairly low. On the positive side he does get more damage from zoning anyways, so if nothing else him getting a chance to just backup and force the opponent to come in isn't the worst thing in the world.
I couldn't say off the top of my head, but I'll do a bit of labbing before the stream today and can get back to you. Hell, I'll probably go ahead and stream while labbing, so you can ask questions in realtime.