What's new

The RoboCop Thread

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm having some success with a non Low Auto-9 build. It uses Arm Cannon, Flamethrower, and Grab. It's got drawbacks, for sure, but is proving to be fairly reliable in some matchups. The normal Auto-9 is pretty nice after f21. On block , it pushes them far enough away that they have to respect a followup projectile.

So, basically, you zone with a combination of Arm Cannon and Shoulder Cannon. You've still got the nice synergy between Flamethrower and Grab, but now you're able to keep poeple out of the air a lot better. It would be pretty viable if bombs didn't go away when you take damage.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Finally played against my first good Jacqui (though they turned out to be a very disrespectful player, unfortunately), and man was it nuts. I got so mad when I realized I wasn't streaming, but then I realized I could just screen-capture the replay. So, here you go!
I was playing pretty scrubby (scrubbily?), but mostly because I was having to figure shit out mid-fight. Like, I wasn't sure how to correctly punish anything she was doing lol. I took a few more from him, but he ended up beating me more in the long set. I got those recorded and will upload soon. We had some really good matches.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Here is some footage of me testing out the build that doesn't use Low Auto-9 (just Arm Cannon, Grab, and Flamethrower). I was against Erron Black, so I wasn't really able to test the effectiveness of zoning with just Arm Cannon and Shoulder Cannon, and I keep forgetting to cancel into Flamethrower since I typically don't use it. It was also around 180 ping, so not the best testing environment, as many of my buttons were getting eaten (I'm sure my opponent's were, as well). Despite those issues, the build shows some promise. I imagine it will be pretty strong in some matchups. However, you do lose a ton of utility from not taking Low Auto-9, and you miss out on the KB, which is a big deal for RoboCop, considering his low damage output.

Last edited:
Bombs going away on hit is so annoying. One of my single biggest grievances, honestly. I know he doesn't need more zoning options. But man, there have been a lot of instances where being able to trade bombs with my opponent's projectile would have saved my whole ass.

Good look on the new variation, that was actually the very first variation I tried with RoboCop until I fought a Cassie with Knee Cappin' and put on the shelf. May have to revisit it.

@RoboCop are you currently only PC?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@TheJaxLife Yup, just PC for now. However, now that I run a video game website, I'll probably end up picking up a console before too long.

Awesome! If you do end up in the console world I'll be more than happy to help you with some match ups in the future. Between myself and my friends that I play offline with, I've access to just about the whole damn cast.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Now, then, as proof of it not being intentional (because this is NRS we're talking about): Kotal's 12 xx cmd grab tick works just fine - you cannot unblock to go through it or duck it. Kano 24 xx cmd grab works fine if you let go of block standing, so you have to neutral duck it because it's high, just like you'd expect from the game's rules. Geras f2 xx cmdgrab works, because of course it does. Aaaand... Nightwolf's some strings work, just not 11 xx cmdgrab, for example.

Any down-poke into cmdgrab works fine. It's just all random nonsense that you have to learn case by case, not like we have rules for this.
It is case by case, but it's not random; there are consistent rules at work. It has to do with the gap between the blockstring and the command grab you're canceling into.

As far as I can tell in the labbing I've done, these rules apply to every command grab in the game:
  1. Is there a gap between the blockstring and the CG special cancel? If yes, the blockstring is a tick throw; if no, the string won't tick.
  2. Is the gap large enough for duck/jump animation to come out? If yes, then you have to duck/jump to beat the tick throw; if no, you can beat the throw just by releasing block.
For example, Nightwolf's block cancel advantage off his 11 string is 11 frames, and his CG has a 12 frame startup; that's a 1 frame gap. The fact that there's a gap at all is what allows the CG to tick, because the opponent has to be out of block stun for the grab to connect. NW's 111 has 20 frames of block cancel adv, so there's no gap and his CG won't tick.

The size of the gap determines how you're allowed to beat the tick throw. 1 frame isn't enough time even to duck, so the game allows you to beat the throw just by releasing block. NW's s1~CG and s2~CG tick throws are also 1-frame gaps, so you can beat them all the same way.

OTOH, NW's d1 has 6 frames of block cancel adv, which means there's a 6 frame gap in d1~CG (most pokes have very small block cancel advantage, probably to make it risky to spam special cancels, but it's also why they're almost always tick throws). NW's f2121 has 9 frames of block cancel adv, so f2121~CG is a 3-frame gap tick throw. Since the gap is large enough for a duck to come out, the game forces you to duck (or jump) to beat those particular tick throws.

For Robo, his s1~CG and 121~CG both have a 1 frame gap, so they tick but you can beat them just by releasing block. His d1~CG and d3~CG have a 6 frame gap and it's a mid CG, so you have to jump to beat them. His d4 has 11 frames of block cancel adv and doesn't tick.

Whether you call a 1-frame tick throw "fake" is an arbitrary semantic/philosophical choice, imo. To each their own. Every tick throw is based on the frame data, so in my personal opinion, none of them are more real or fake than any other.

Yeah, I feel like the 121 tick is just an unforeseen consequence of their tiny frame-data adjustment. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets taken out in the next patch. Like you said, it's a total scrub killer.
Maybe, but I kinda think it was intentional. If all NRS wanted to do was make 121 safe (-8 to -5), they could've just removed 3 frames of block recovery and called it a day. They chose to get there by removing 5 frames of block recovery and adding 2 frames of general recovery. I can't think of any reason to do that except to create a gap in 121~CG that wasn't there before. The gap is just large enough to tick, no more, no less.

And why not? Robo needed (still needs) buffs. It's cool and gives him new mind games, but I don't think anyone can call it broken.

I wish the regular Auto had more going for it, and spent some time with it months back. It's a good ender for f32 (keeps the opponent closer than low auto or f322 would), but beyond that...

You obviously lose the KB, but you lose being able to cancel almost anything into it (and be mostly safe), which has implications beyond d4 xx low auto gimmicks. F42 / F4 xx low auto gives you a chance at getting an actual launch!

OutWorldAleMerchant

Hotaru's Number One Fan
I don't play at a super high level but good use of the Riot Shield and the good old 121 + low auto gets me pretty dependable wins online. Emphasis on the riot shield, lot of average players don't see it coming. If it were a frame or two faster and countered more thing it could be pretty solid.

Last edited:

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Is there a list of gaps that Robocop can interrupt with Shield? When I use noob, I use upshadow to interrupt certain gaps and gain my space. Wondering if anyone knows gaps that Robo is able to do this with shield.

Off hand, I know he can neutral duck and then shield Kollector's S44 to parry the 2nd hit.

Cheval Trap into grab
There is a small window where you can follow f32 xx amp cheval trap (close) with a microdash + regular grab, without them being able to jump or duck to avoid it. This is the closest thing you have to a mid-screen combo extender - you do 170 dmg if they tech it correctly, otherwise you do 290 dmg (and perhaps get Escape Failed).

I thought NRS removed these hitstun-into-grab things, but either they missed a few frames, or the interaction is possible because it is enabled for the rarely-seen 'stand in the gas grenade until you get stunned' part of the amped Cheval.

Last edited:

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Is there a list of gaps that Robocop can interrupt with Shield? When I use noob, I use upshadow to interrupt certain gaps and gain my space. Wondering if anyone knows gaps that Robo is able to do this with shield.

Off hand, I know he can neutral duck and then shield Kollector's S44 to parry the 2nd hit.
I haven't seen a whole list posted anywhere, no. But it's easy enough to sum up: His parry has a 9 frame start-up (same as Skarlet's and Joker's), so he can interrupt gaps that are 9 frames or larger.

Honestly, 9 frames is pretty fast as melee parries go; I think only Sonya (7 frames) and Liu (8 frames) have a faster one (if you don't count parries with special conditions, like Spawn, Rambo, Raiden, or Fujin). Even still, there just aren't that many gaps in the game that large. The vast majority of flawless block gaps are 7 or 8 frames. The gap you mention with Kollector's s44 is 8 frames, so if Robo were to block s4 instead of ducking it, he couldn't parry the s44.

Off the top of my head, thinking about strings you'll actually see in a match, I can think of only a few gaps that are large enough for Robo to parry: Cetrion's f234, Liu's f43u3, Nightwolf's s112, Terminator's f32. Hard to say if it's worth going for those. For the really big gaps (Liu, NW, Term), if you're going to challenge, you're better off going with a jab string for more damage. And those are all strings where your opponent is probably trying to mix you and fish for a punish that could be more damage than you'll get by parrying.

Anyway, I like Robo's parry quite a lot, but mainly for soaking up zoning all day, punishing d1 and wakeup mashers, and making people scared to use their big advancing buttons. Blowing up gaps really isn't what it's good for.

Reversal specials come out 1 frame faster, not that it changes much. Like, Sonya's parry is the absolute best one to use mid-strings, and even it is basically just the meterless option for when you cannot go for flawless block u2.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've been experimenting with his B12 string and it may be a little better than I had initially thought. Unlike his shoulder bombs, the B12 bombs don't go away if he's hit, instead trading and sending the opponent full screen. You can mix in b1~db4 and it looks identical to B12, allowing you to remain -1 or +1 if they're not reacting quickly enough.

B1 seems to have almost zero blockstun, similar to Kano's b3. This makes it very good for tick throws once you condition the opponent to respect B12. The hitbox is also very nice, catching airborne opponents and reaching deceptively far.

The finally thing I noticed is that it can be used after a command grab in the corner to catch regular or delayed wakeups and it can't be jumped out of, as far as I can tell.

Overall, it may not be as useless as I initially thought, but I'm still having to purposefully work it into my game plan rather than using my other tools.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've been messing around with OCP Charge, Rockets, and Low Shot and having some success. I previously used the command grab instead of OCP Charge, and while certainly strong, I feel like OCP Charge may help more in his problem matchups, and gaining access to the parry is just icing on the cake.

I love the grab because it helps you even when you're not using it. When the opponent knows you have it, they start getting opened up because they expect it and try to jump. It's like a magic ability that makes your opponents play worse.

My issue with the grab is the risk/reward. Every time you go for that grab you are gambling your 16% amplified damage against the opponent's highest-damage punish. If I said, "I'm going to flip a coin and you have to call it. If you call it correctly, I'll give you $16, but if you guess wrong, you owe me $35," would you play that game? I imagine not, but that's the game RoboCop is playing every time he goes for the grab.

Initially, I was worried taking OCP Charge and Crowd Control Cannon would be redundant, since I use them both primarily to keep my opponent out of the air. However, it seems that the combination of Low Shot, Cannon, and OCP Charge is exceptionally difficult for the opponent to approach. It gives you almost full-screen short-hop gimmicks, since you can short-hop OCP Charge or short-hop followed by a projectile. OCP charge is also good at punishing things the Cannon misses, like Jade's and Cetrion's tools.

I need more time with this variation to say for sure, but so far it's feeling alright, and Sooneo used it rather well in his Evo sets.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
OCP Charge allows for some nice conversions off the amp mine against a cornered opponent:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
One more swaggy anti-air kombo using the mine. If I'm landing a s4 anti-air, I'm almost certainly doing 4~db1.amp-dash-f32~ender for 30ish%, but this was still a fun setup to work out.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Was it already know that short-range shoulder bomb (db4b) kombos off of 121? It deals solid damage and leaves you +31 within dash~f4 or dash~j4 range. So, basically, every time you land 121 you can choose to send the opponent full screen or keep them mid-range while deal identical damage either way.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've been worried about the Sindel MU, and I finally ran into a high-level Sindel running low scream, the aerial overhead flip, and the aerial low-hitting projectiles and damn if I couldn't press a button anywhere on screen. Zoning was out of the question, as she low-profiles everything RoboCop can throw at her, so your option is to try to fight in her f4 range, where you just get mixed and out-damaged nonstop. She seems to utterly counter him at all distances. It felt seriously bad.

[edit] I continued my long set and here is the onle thing I was able to figure out. I use the Arm Crowd Control Cannon (the "wrist rockets"), and if you do a late rocket against her low scream, she'll get caught and you'll win the trade, similar to when you fight Low Fan Kitana. Because you do it so late, you can actually do it on reaction. The downside is her amp low scream will still beat it out, so you do have to watch for that. Eventually, I was able to win enough of these trades that Sindel was forced to stop zoning and had to start trying to get in, and that's when I finally started winning some matches.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Messing around with more Amplified Mine nonsense. The combination of the mine and the amplified wrist rockets allows for some extended blockstun sequences.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I've ditched arm rocket for air dash bc I want to try to have as many Kb's on deck as possible and I like the jump mind games.

What are yall's favorite setups for getting the base kit Rifle KB? I see it's B4 dash back cannon can catch people WU's and wakeup buttons. Any other setups?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've ditched arm rocket for air dash bc I want to try to have as many Kb's on deck as possible and I like the jump mind games.

What are yall's favorite setups for getting the base kit Rifle KB? I see it's B4 dash back cannon can catch people WU's and wakeup buttons. Any other setups?
Unfortunately I almost never use the Cobra Cannon, so not sure about setups with it. The rockets don't get you a kb, but they do drastically enhance your f21 string, since the amp rockets leave you +8 on block. The sequence of f21~bf2.amp-dash-f212 triggers the f212 kb like 9 times out of 10 since people try to mash after they block the rocket.

Surprisingly, I might stop using Low Auto-9 except in a few specific matchups where I need to shoot under projectiles. I've been having a ton of success using a loadout of Rockets, Flamethrower, and OCP Charge and playing a mostly rush-down RoboCop. Against a lot of characters, tossing out an Amp Mine and then using OCP charge is almost a guaranteed way to get in, it deals great chip, it's usually plus but at worst it's totally safe, and it opens up some really swaggy conversions.

All day I've been beating people who usually spank my Low Auto-9 variations really hard, including the Sindel I fought a few days ago and some crazy high-level Erron Black players. I highly recommend giving this variation a shot (no pun intended...).