What's new

The Real MK9 Top 10 Characters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
But freddy is not 5 with that 8-2 mu imo.
Not too long ago Wafflez and his group of fanboys tried to convince me that Freddy only lost 6:4. The Smoke community is arguably the most dishonest community in the FGC.

I have no idea whether Freddy is top 5 or not, but I do know that he is as tournament viable as any other top tier character in the game (unlike somebody else whose best move was "normalized" by 10 frames).

Anyway, aside from Kabal, there is no top 10 that is in a particular order because of match ups.

- Kabal is obviously the best character in the game but requires the most execution in comparison to other top tier characters.

- Technically, Cyrax only loses to Kabal but has more difficult match ups than Kabal.

- Freddy and Kenshi beat Cage and Sonya but lose to Kabal, Kung Lao, and Smoke.

- Cage and Sonya beat Kitana, Kung Lao, and Smoke but lose to Freddy, Kabal, and Kenshi.

Etc. Etc.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Judging by character strength rather than MU lists simply because the odds of a player being inept enough to purposely fight an 8-2/hard 7-3 MU...

1. Kabal.
2. Kung Lao.
3. Cyrax.
4. Kenshi.
5. Freddy.
6. Kitana.
7. Sonya.
8. Cage.
9. Smoke.
10. Reptile.

Shazam.

Yes, Kitana is better than Sonya.

Judging by character strength rather than MU lists simply because the odds of a player being inept enough to purposely fight an 8-2/hard 7-3 MU...

1. Kabal.
2. Kung Lao.
3. Cyrax.
4. Kenshi.
5. Freddy.
6. Kitana.
7. Sonya.
8. Cage.
9. Smoke.
10. Reptile.

Shazam.

Wait what ?
Kung lao top 2 ?
Freddy better then sonya ?
Kitana better then sonya ???
WHAT

Sent from. SECRET using Tapatalk

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Alright, since our community loves lists, MK9 has been out for over two years, and we have never been able to settle on the top 10 characters, I figure that now is the time to decide. Here is my attempt at placing the top 10 characters in the game:
1. Kabal
2. Kenshi
3. Sonya
4. Cyrax
5. Freddy
6. Kung Lao
7. Smoke
8. Jax
9. Kitana
10. Skarlet

Feel free to discuss and critique the list and please post your own.
Nice list Wound. Deciding between Jax & Cage is tough because most people think Cage is better but he has some bad MU's where as Jax only loses to Sonya badly really. Anyways, here's my personal list: (dash seperation indicated tier differences)
-------------------
1. Kabal
-------------------
2. Kenshi
3. Sonya
4. Cyrax
-------------------
5. Lao
6. Freddy
7. Smoke
8. Kitana
9. Cage
10. Jax
11. Skarlet
-------------------

Kabal only has a seperate tier because he really doesn't lose any match ups, if you're comparing characters looking at how much then can completely body fish characters for example, he really isn't much different from Sonya, Kenshi and Cyrax.

Skarlet would be the cutoff for A tier imo, characters like Kang, Reptile, Shang, Raiden, etc would make up B tier

coolwhip

Noob
Kitana has quite a few 7-3s and a couple 8-2s. A character that has MUs like that should definitely be considered top 10

Her only 8-2 is Kenshi IMO. It's a HUGE stretch to suggest Kabal-Kitana is 8-2 (assuming that's the match-up you're referencing). Opinion is really divided on Kabal-Kitana, with some saying it's 6-4, and others going as high as 8-2. Call it in the middle, 7-3.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Take Skarlett the fuck outta there, put Lao over Freddy and add Raiden at #10.

Other than that i agree for the most part.

1.Kabal
2.Kenshi
3.Sonya
4.Cyrax
5.Kung Lao
6.Smoke
7.Kitana
8.Jax
9.Freddy
10.Cage or Raiden

I've always though Kenshi is a bit overrated but i can see why people have him so high. Im kind of biased since i play Cyrax and i find that MU mildly easy.
Da fuq? You don't know about skarlet

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Wait what ?
Kung lao top 2 ?
Freddy better then sonya ?
Kitana better then sonya ???
WHAT

Absolutely.

Kung Lao has the EVO titles.
Kenshi has the exploits of @Pig Of The Hut, Blackula, Under_The_Mayo, and others, but in spite of his power, no great and shimmering trophies to speak of otherwise (although goddammit, would it have been satisfying to see him pull off the upset at EVO 2012.)

Sonya, for all her armor and all her pressuring absurdity, can still be out-zoned and readily defended against by a heavy amount of the cast. Including Kitana and Freddy. Sub-Zero can contend. Ermac can contend. Rain can counter-armor. Skarlet can counter-armor. Not easily, but definitely doably.
On the right stage, you can distance yourself from D4~everything else and the Cartwheel, but if you're fighting a Mr. Mileena or the like who can iAFan to near-perfection, or a general m2dave who can Claw you to death without touching you, you're playing their game whether you like it or not.

Again I will say: There is no such thing an an ironclad Top 5 or 10 in Mortal Kombat.
There are too many variables, and too many strengths and weaknesses in each fighter to say anything certainly.
The only certainty is Kabal, and as has been proven, even he can lose on a good day.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
My top ten:

1) Kabal
2) Kenshi
3) Cyrax
4) Sonya
5) Kung Lao
6) Freddy
7) Reptile
8) Skarlet
9) Shang
10) Kitana

Smoke, Raiden, Cage, Jax and Liu Kang could easily make the list too, but I feel like these are the overall best.

1. Kabal.
2. Kung Lao.
3. Cyrax.
4. Kenshi.
5. Freddy.
6. Kitana.
7. Sonya.
8. Cage.
9. Smoke.
10. Reptile.

Shazam.

Kitana is not even top 10.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Kitana is not even top 10.

See?

This is the Neverending Debate. Lol.

I don't think of it in numbers anymore. I just think of it in terms of which characters have caused me the greatest pains in the ass over the years, or which ones I've seen put on more convincing fights/tournament runs, and IMO, it seems like Kitana's always been a lot more consistent. Sonya has Foxy, Clint, Showtime, Evil Riu, a lot of good representation, but Kitana's always the one on the forefront that you see in the big clutch matches. Maybe there's just more Kitties left than Blades in what remains of competitive MK, Idk, but she's definitely put a lot of space between the two of them.

See?

This is the Neverending Debate. Lol.

I don't think of it in numbers anymore. I just think of it in terms of which characters have caused me the greatest pains in the ass over the years, or which ones I've seen put on more convincing fights/tournament runs, and IMO, it seems like Kitana's always been a lot more consistent. Sonya has Foxy, Clint, Showtime, Evil Riu, a lot of good representation, but Kitana's always the one on the forefront that you see in the big clutch matches. Maybe there's just more Kitties left than Blades in what remains of competitive MK, Idk, but she's definitely put a lot of space between the two of them.
Lol, I have her 10 or 11.

She's not better than Sonya though.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Gen won Evo. He isn't top 10 in AE. I don't even think he's top 15.
Xian himself put him in top 10, and from what I'm aware, top players have been putting him pretty high up.

Btw, the "Reptile is Top 10" dream is dead once again?

Absolutely.

Kung Lao has the EVO titles.
Kenshi has the exploits of @Pig Of The Hut, Blackula, Under_The_Mayo, and others, but in spite of his power, no great and shimmering trophies to speak of otherwise (although goddammit, would it have been satisfying to see him pull off the upset at EVO 2012.)

Sonya, for all her armor and all her pressuring absurdity, can still be out-zoned and readily defended against by a heavy amount of the cast. Including Kitana and Freddy. Sub-Zero can contend. Ermac can contend. Rain can counter-armor. Skarlet can counter-armor. Not easily, but definitely doably.
On the right stage, you can distance yourself from D4~everything else and the Cartwheel, but if you're fighting a Mr. Mileena or the like who can iAFan to near-perfection, or a general m2dave who can Claw you to death without touching you, you're playing their game whether you like it or not.

Again I will say: There is no such thing an an ironclad Top 5 or 10 in Mortal Kombat.
There are too many variables, and too many strengths and weaknesses in each fighter to say anything certainly.
The only certainty is Kabal, and as has been proven, even he can lose on a good day.
Still no
Kung lao is very good
But top 2 ? Hell no
The way to stop zone with kl is to tp or dive kick
And both r risky as fuck
His f3 is good vs zone tho
Sonya has amazing things and a safe bitch she is in top 5
Kenshi is a safe blind mofo he is top 3
Cyrax top 2 to how broken he is with the resets
Probably might be top 1 but he has bad mu's and shit unlike kabal
Kung lao is top 5 or 6
Nothing near 2

NKZero

Noob
Shang tsung is #1 because he can turn into any character
You were probably joking but Shang Tsung must surely be in contention for top 10. Think about it. Soul steal grants you your opponent's move set + a damage boost so you essentially become a better version of that character. Not to mention that Shang alone has great tools up close and zoning and boasts very strong footsie tools in the mid-range game to boot.

He has some difficult MU's such as Reptile and Cyrax and struggles against Kung Lao and Kabal. So maybe his MU chart doesn't look to impressive against the top tier. Tool wise however he has some pretty good stuff going for him.