What's new

The Quan Chi Improvement Thread: Speak Up!

King

Sig Maker
I can tell you put a lot of thought into that and some of those are pretty good ideas. Very interesting skeletal boost ideas. Quan chi may be finalized, though. :( Everything we do now, I'm afraid, is for our own amusement/therapy.

Yea, I did put a lot of thought into this as Quan is too bad-ass to be left in the dust. And hey, its better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all.

Nonetheless, NRS if you're reading, these are ideas to consider. Let me add one more: Make En Trance like Sektor's En Teleuppercut - to continue a combo. You can scale the damage if you like, gravity the shit out of the opponent, whatever. If you use En trance to BEGIN a combo, regular trance can still be used one more time while in said combo. Toy around with it a bit, NRS! Oh, and PLEASE GIVE HIM A USEFUL WAKEUP ATTACK!!! ahem, sorry.

Well, if they implement my SB ideas, no one would want to waste meter on a scaling-down EX Trance when they can go for increased-damage EX SB off of a normal trance. And yes, Quan needs a wake-up attack.

The chip damage for health boost is a TOUGH one. A good Quan Chi player will just turtle or sky drop away from the madness so the boost can take it's full effect. A chip here and there not stopping the boost might be a little TOO Godlike. Who knows, though.

Well, if the Quan player decides to go for the health power-up, he'll be neutral on frames with his opponent so its up to the opponent to put work in to stop Quan - for once.
Replies are in red.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The next patch is coming soon, guys. We've got five long and informative pages yet no response from Mr. Colt. We must bring him from the Sub Zero forum to the Quan Chi forum to read this thread. LOL.

KingRey

Noob
Wake-up trance with invincibility frames would be nice also. Does a wake-up rune have invincibility frames?

Malec

Noob
Wake-up trance with invincibility frames would be nice also. Does a wake-up rune have invincibility frames?
i dont think that wakeup trance would help at all, its also fucking slow so i guess the invincibility frames would be as useless as it is on wakeup skydrop and it would not help against crossup jump ins either AND its also launch punishable on block. so in my opinion they have to buff skydrop, make it faster, armor on ex version, safe on block on ex (sektor ex teleport anyone? and thats even a juggle starter wtf)

Warplay

Noob
sky drop already has invincible startup frames but it's still not good enough.
How many frames, do you know? I always get knocked out of sky drop on start up, even the EX Drop.. I don't think it has any invincibility. Never once have I been hit on sky drop start up and it still went through. They just need to add armor to the EX-Sky Drop and I will be happy. That'd give you a good way out of corners and rush down characters.

Albo

Noob
How many frames, do you know? I always get knocked out of sky drop on start up, even the EX Drop.. I don't think it has any invincibility. Never once have I been hit on sky drop start up and it still went through. They just need to add armor to the EX-Sky Drop and I will be happy. That'd give you a good way out of corners and rush down characters.
very, very few frames. playing against a good aggressive kano plaer yesterday i decided to test out quans wake sky drop in the corner while getting rushed down. i must have tried six/seven times and a few with ex skydropn and evry single time i was hit out of it with his strings or his upball. i honestly think giving it completelty invincible frames until he drops would be a good idea. he's completely punishable on recovery as he lands anyway so he's still at a disadvantage.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think all wake up attacks that have invincibility frames have 8 frames of invincibility frames. That is excellent news if your name is Kung Lao and Reptile. Spin and elbow dash have a 6 frame start meaning each move is entirely invincible. That is bad news if your name is Quan Chi because the sky drop must have a 20 frame start up at best meaning there are at least 12 frames that Quan Chi is vulnerable. That is why Quan Chi players are getting hit.

The wake up invincibility system in this game is fairly flawed because of the universal 8 frames of invincibility. Invincibility frames should be unique to each special attack.

Malec

Noob
i would like to see a faster startup on quans trance, so u can actually trade with other projectile spammers, i dont think that would be to strong, look at sub zeros ice ball and cyrax net, they also got that no brainer trade projectiles

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Not sure if this has been suggested(probably has). Make trance invincible on wakeup or make ex trance have armor. At least I could waste a meter to get out of pressure and in return steal some of their meter for mixups without having to worry about them breaking out going back on the offensive.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
i would like to see a faster startup on quans trance, so u can actually trade with other projectile spammers, i dont think that would be to strong, look at sub zeros ice ball and cyrax net, they also got that no brainer trade projectiles
No brainer trades? Sz's iceball is slow and has ass recovery and projectiles that knockdown will usually make it so he can't get there in time and if your constantly trading projectiles with cyrax's net then you suck.

His trance speeds is fine and as it is I think it's one of the best trades in game beating out freeze and net. It doesn't need any buffs. IMO main thing quan needs is his teleport needs to be completely invincible on wakeup or have more frames on it at least.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
When opponents are in Trance, let us do the skull buff, and make it last only for that combos length.
Give him wakeup skull, invincibility on wakeup stomp, and wakeup trance, but no invincibility on trance.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
My Quan-Chi buff suggestions:

- Give :u:fk maybe 1 less frame of start-up or allow it to hit confirm to Trance
- Different inputs for damage/health bonus on Skeletal Boost (more of a fix than a buff, random is so stupid)
- Armor on :en anything for wake-up.
- Can Skeletal Boost after Trance, but this ends the Trance state.
- Decent + frames on blocked Rune for pressure (i.e. :bp:fp~close Rune x N). His meter game is the best thing about him, but he's so bad at building it, it's embarrassing. And considering his only real defensive options are uppercut and breaker, I don't really see anything wrong with this guy having almost Kabal-like pressure.

King

Sig Maker
My Quan-Chi buff suggestions:

- Give :u:fk maybe 1 less frame of start-up or allow it to hit confirm to Trance
- Different inputs for damage/health bonus on Skeletal Boost (more of a fix than a buff, random is so stupid)
- Armor on :en anything for wake-up.
- Can Skeletal Boost after Trance, but this ends the Trance state.
- Decent + frames on blocked Rune for pressure (i.e. :bp:fp~close Rune x N). His meter game is the best thing about him, but he's so bad at building it, it's embarrassing. And considering his only real defensive options are uppercut and breaker, I don't really see anything wrong with this guy having almost Kabal-like pressure.
1) Agreed. It's too easy to block low by default to Quan Chi and react to hit laughably slow overhead attack. I'd just like to add that we should be able to combo into trance after the :bp :fp :u :fk string.
2) As it stands now, the Boost is useless anyways so this won't do much really.
3) If the trance ends at the start up of the Skeletal Boost, then we are back to square one - the Boost will be useless. It'll be even more unsafe because now you'll be in the laughably long start up frames of the Boost while your opponent recovers out of the trance and gets a free combo.
4) Well, if you give him armor on his :en Sky Drop, for instance, then Quan could easily use :en Sky Drop on his wake up and immediately pressure 21 Rune to build that meter right back. It'll also make his offense more dangerous because I can now surprise my opponent by switching things up. An example of this would be:

2,1 Close Rune 21 Close Rune F1,2 Trance...
2,1 Close Rune B3, 1+2 Dash 112 Trance...
2,1 Close Rune 21 Close Rune 21 EX Rune Dash F1,2 Trance
2,1 Close Rune 21 Close Rune 21 EX Rune Dash B3, 1+2 Trance

The best part would be that I'd be pretty safe with the 21 Rune pressure and I'd have a plethora of options after each repetition of it. Don't forget that I'd also be building meter for free doing this so this might make Quan a little TOO good IMO.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Call me crazy, but I think armor on either Ex Skydrop or Ex Rune, plus tweak U+3 (make it hit confirmable/trance from 2, 1, U+3), would make him an actually pretty solid character.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
2,1 Close Rune 21 Close Rune F1,2 Trance...
2,1 Close Rune B3, 1+2 Dash 112 Trance...
2,1 Close Rune 21 Close Rune 21 EX Rune Dash F1,2 Trance
2,1 Close Rune 21 Close Rune 21 EX Rune Dash B3, 1+2 Trance
I hope you're talking enhanced runes when you say close runes. 2, 1, Close Rune....If I'm not mistaken.... is pretty unsafe on block

EDIT: Ooops didn't mean to double post...

King

Sig Maker
I hope you're talking enhanced runes when you say close runes. 2, 1, Close Rune....If I'm not mistaken.... is pretty unsafe on block

EDIT: Ooops didn't mean to double post...

Vilen wanted the 21 Close Rune to be a good pressure tool so I was responding as to what the effects of that might be.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Un-pokable air drop, armor on EX air drop and trance.

Shorten the skeletal boost animation or tweak it some way i dunno, right now skeletal boost is completely obsolete. At least rain has a free H2O boost after a lightning, unfortunately for quackers he doesn't have a move that can free up some time for a boost.

And for the love of GOD do something about the whole random ability on skeletal boost. Sucks when you do it hoping for damage and getting health, which if chipped you'll lose anyway. Oh and give the skeletal boost the same property as with soul steal, just give it a set time and not lose it if he gets hit.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
For anyone who missed it, I asked pakostevens (from NRS) in the STBL show chat about Quan Chi's wakeups, he said:

"ex drop has armor kinda better wakeup"

So yeah, looks like he'll have a legit wakeup, but not for trance or anything.