What's new

The Problems That Plague "Kombat League: S1"

Do you dislike Kombat League S1?

• Total voters

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I'd like NRS to use Kombat League to experiment with the round format.

We all know Bo5 is not viable. Regardless of what some people are saying it is impractical for large events and the SmashGG stats make it clear that the VAST majority of games are won by 1st to 2, as in most games who ever gets to 2 first wins the set, so all that time is wasted for most games in the event.

Yet, Bo3 feels a little lite to me.

What I would like to see is them play with round counts. Tekken for example is Bo5 Rounds... not Bo3. So maybe have 2 sets in a match but have First to 3 rounds per match. I mean KL is reset every month, small changes like this are perfect for the format to see how it works in the wild and how the community responds to it. They can always change it again latter.

dc1902

Noob
Man, I played Kombat League today and it was not a good experience. I'm like 50 points from being warrior with a record of 13-9 with Kotal and I'm matched up with a dude with 149 ms. I tried to decline because I prefer 100ms or under. Game wouldn't let me so I'm forced to play. Soon as game starts the network icon starts flashing. Make a long story short I lost to his Kung Lao in a connection that I could not play right in.

Its disheartening when this b.s. happens. I don't mind losing ,but I prefer to lose to a better opponent and not cause of shitty connection.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Wifi filter and ability to decline any connection over 100ms. played some dickhead who had wifi where the connection said it was 95 ms and it winded up being 150 and extremely laggy where I somehow won and I still felt annoyed by how awful the connection was. Also reward system could def use some work

phnmnl

Noob
This won't solve much bit I think there'd be a lot less disconnects if we didn't know the rewards at the start of a season.

My only example is Rocket League which only releases the rewards with like three weeks left in seasons which last 3 months.

This stops the people who desprately need "that kool skin" from fixing their results because they don't even know if it's worth it.

I can't explain how insanely competitive RL becomes near end of season but at least the first 2/3 are good natured.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
What I think needs to be done:

Custom Variations Need to Be Allowed in Kombat League.
whats the point of having a ranked mode where competitive variations are locked, and then having a mode, which arguably, appeals more to casuals because of the cosmetic unlocks and First to 2 wins. It's bizarre to have this and have a ranked mode with the same criteria.
Aand the fact that everyone is playing KL so rooms and versus kasuals are less diverse

Gaxkang

Banned
Wifi filter and ability to decline any connection over 100ms. played some dickhead who had wifi where the connection said it was 95 ms and it winded up being 150 and extremely laggy where I somehow won and I still felt annoyed by how awful the connection was. Also reward system could def use some work
Heh yup, happens a lot.

I had one where it shot up to like 400 ms more than once. Thus the quit button was pressed... :coffee:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
The only real problem is that you lose points for not playing. I don’t know if any other game with a ranking system does this but I find it very unfair for those of us who have other commitments in life and can’t play all the time. We slog through ranks to get to where we are only to be punished for not playing. That’s just sad. :(

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I like knowing what the rewards are before hand. I couldn care less about my score or rank, I’m just going for the rewards.

I’d anyone at nrs is listening, please make shao kahn rewards low or mid rank. Thanks :)

The only real problem is that you lose points for not playing. I don’t know if any other game with a ranking system does this but I find it very unfair for those of us who have other commitments in life and can’t play all the time. We slog through ranks to get to where we are only to be punished for not playing. That’s just sad. :(
You only lose a few points per day, ~10-20 I think it was said, and that's only after 48hrs of no play. They may adjust things over time depending on how things play out. Google says that League of legends does the same, Starcraft used to, and it's a common thing with ELO rating.

Only real issue is if you have extended breaks during each season of 1+weeks or more and never get very high in the ranks. But remember the rewards are based on your highest rank during the season, not where you finish up at the end. So you can reach elder god then not play at all and lose all your points and you'd still get all the goodies. Only thing you don't have is your name in flashing lights at the top of the ladder.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Disconnecting to avoid an L has to go. The decline option should be at like 100ms or at least 120ms (or in my case i would be happy to decline at all cuz the decline option is bugged for me :( ) You should also be allowed to decline players below your rank. Risking like 150-180 points to get nothing is bs. Otherwise the point system needs to be adjusted.
Yes dodging loses has to go for sure.
I agree we should be able to matchmake with Wired only if we choose, I'd wait a minute between each match or longer to guarantee better connection.
100ms would be a great cutoff point. WiFi can say 80ms and turn into 200ms in game.

KL also definitely needs to implement character select before entering matchmaking or hide character select from opponent until both have locked their pick. For me this is even more important than fixing lag or anything else when it comes to KL.
That is a great idea idea. I would love to have counter pick to be eliminated since every time I choose Shang they select Scorpion, Sub, Cassie, Erron or Geras. It would be nice to play character loyalists for once.

Reward system needs to be changed. Its stupid as it is now as its totally unfair. Instead of having the skins/gear pieces placed arbitrarily they should allow you to select the stuff you want at season end. For skins you get 1 choice for each tier and for gear you get 1 choice for each rank.
It would be nice if we could select from available skins in the current season by the point system. Instead of having Errons locked behind top tiers we could choose Erron skin instead of Kitana skin.
Maybe change points into currency to purchase them from earning it?

Gaxkang

Banned
That is a great idea idea. I would love to have counter pick to be eliminated since every time I choose Shang they select Scorpion, Sub, Cassie, Erron or Geras. It would be nice to play character loyalists for once.
Oh yeah I'd like to see no counter picking in Ranked. Somebody loses with a character then go to a character they can take advantage of stuff from. Counterpicking is a big thing with NRS but eh, it gotta go.

Folks should have to stick with the character they chose and only be able to switch variation.

On some side notes I had to play a Wifi guy and his Wifi crapped out soon into the fight...but I lost points, like 30 points. That's bad.

And it's like the online is getting laggier...game already feels light with on block punishing, but it's like they should add a tag to the game...on the rails fighter.

DeftMonk

Noob
Fools yoinking out the cable is suuuuper annoying. Lag switching I am not sure about but one of the most toxic players I’ve ever met was a few days ago just constantly talking shit. EVERY time it was my turn and I started pressure all of a sudden it got a connection error then lagged like fuck. I was really suspicious.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Very infuriating having to face the top tiers over and over and over and over. I swear every top character is busted in some way except for cassie. Played this guys geras and all his strings, pokes were safe and stuffing my strings, pokes. I also got thrown a lot while I'm ducking and poking or just ducking. So much for getting thrown only while blocking....lol

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Very infuriating having to face the top tiers over and over and over and over. I swear every top character is busted in some way except for cassie. Played this guys geras and all his strings, pokes were safe and stuffing my strings, pokes. I also got thrown a lot while I'm ducking and poking or just ducking. So much for getting thrown only while blocking....lol
Throw hit mid on counter hit. Major bullshit if you ask me.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
FT2 is enough time to learn to adapt, please have some faith in yourselves
I still don’t really like ft2. U get cheesed once, you lose. You adapt, you win. Counterpick or another cheese win with different character and you’re done. I’m like 20-5 now and 3 of those losses were just people doing random shit. I adapted and then they did other random shit. Basically at low level play you just have to assume people go for unsafe options ALL the time, since the reward is so high in FT2 sets. I like FT3 better and think they are the perfect balance between not too long and just short enough.

FreshFromTheDeli

FrostFromTheDeli
Connections

If a player goes to the trouble of hooking up to wired connection then we should be given the option to only choose to vs. other wired connections.

Will it make wireless less diverse? Sure, especially in the higher ranks but this will be the thing that motivates the WiFi warriors to upgrade to wired. It will be a better experience for all.

Oh, and please allow me the option to decline over 100ms ping.

Rewards

It's actually insulting that the higher echelon of ranks give you worse rewards then the first three ranks. Time Crystal's are not a good reward when I can't choose to buy whatever I want with that currency. NRS tell me what I can buy but have the audacity to charge for time crystals in the first place.

The shop needs an overhaul but this is more of an economy problem then a Kombat League problem.

One change I would like to see with Kombat League rewards is gold rewards for every rank. Or create a new currency called Kombat gold which if I have enough of will allow me to purchase any skin of my choosing in the customise menu.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
yep, all those statements are true ... KL is a great ideia in theory, but in the practical field, a totally disaster, waste of time, with a lot of problems :confused: ..... wanna see if NRS will do something to improve this online experience, or just once again, gonna turn their backs to the problems with that "we don't give a shit" attitude. :oops:
Just summed up the whole game for me. A lot of great ideas and poor execution.

that motivates the WiFi warriors to upgrade to wired
I honestly don't think people give a shit. They figure it's connected, it's good enough. It's only once you know a little about the technical side of it and online gaming do you really care that it makes a difference.

What would be nice is if WiFi players get a preferential match against other WiFi players and wired with wired. At least that way there's less chance that you'll get that random WiFi guy, but could still happen if there's no wired players that fit your matchup at that point in time. The problem is that given the popularity and ease of setup of WiFi it makes sense there are so many people that play on WiFi, so you'll end up severely restricting your player base if they force something like that.

I'd rather play a solid wired 200ms anyday over a janky 80ms WiFi that fluctuates constantly, but if there's no wired players or they're all declining because they don't see a <100ms, then i don't mind the occasional not so great match with a WiFi opponent. So long that it doesn't turn into a janky popup slideshow.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Throw hit mid on counter hit. Major bullshit if you ask me.
Agreed, NRS seriously needs to fix this shit. I know a lot of people like MK 11's mechanics and wake up options but I'm not one of them. I would take MK 9's over this game's any day and the throws were better in that game too as far as I'm concerned.