What's new

The Problems That Plague "Kombat League: S1"

Do you dislike Kombat League S1?

• Total voters

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
My problems with Kombat League Season of Blood is the following:

Lag Switches:

Players who tank your connection so they can make punishable move unpunished. This is achieved by using multiple devices on your shitty WiFi connection or by using programs that increase ping and ultimately ruin the rollback netcode.
Note: many players don't understand that when Rollback is functioning properly it turns 10f 7+3static into 3f delay that is constant. But rollback has its ups and Downs. On bad connections (mostly WiFi) it fluctuates far too much for the netcode to accurately rollback. But when its a stable connection the gameplay is generally constant 3f delay.

WiFi Connections:
We should be able to choose Wired/WiFi before playing sets in KL.

Ability to Decline:
As it stands currently we can only decline ping above 150ms. I feel this should change. What they should do is allow anything above 100ms to be declined but hide Win/Loss and % from opponents view so players won't decline based on stats. That way players can choose to decline unstable or potentially laggy connections.

No penalty for disconnected matches:
As this thread states players can have perfect records and easily climb up the leaderboards by unplugging at fatality screen after they lose. They lose no points and there is no record it even happened. This needs to go!

The point system in KL:
Its a joke, after making it to grandmaster its exponentially harder to climb the ranks to Elder God because the point system is unjust. You are not only playing people in your Rank you are playing all ranks and if you lose to a lower tier its incredibly outif your favor win or loss.

Rewards are lackluster past champion:
Anything above the bottom 3 ranks only gives you time crystals which are basically useless. Maybe this can be made more rewarding. This is fine if they fix everything else.

FT2 Sets:
You don't have much tine to adapt to your opponents in Kombat League. I understand some think FT5 is too long but why not have the option for all players? Add the ability to choose FT2/FT3/FT5 before searching opponents. That way there is a hype comeback factor and players have the ability to adjust to unorthodox playstyles and players who hate longer sets can choose FT2.

If all of this was fixed I feel Kombat League would be perfect especially if they add Shang Tsung skins as rewards.

Does anyone else have issue with KL: S1 please post below and help make NRS more aware of potential problems with thier competitive game mode KL.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep, all those statements are true ... KL is a great ideia in theory, but in the practical field, a totally disaster, waste of time, with a lot of problems :confused: ..... wanna see if NRS will do something to improve this online experience, or just once again, gonna turn their backs to the problems with that "we don't give a shit" attitude. :oops:

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
What I think needs to be done:

Custom Variations Need to Be Allowed in Kombat League.
whats the point of having a ranked mode where competitive variations are locked, and then having a mode, which arguably, appeals more to casuals because of the cosmetic unlocks and First to 2 wins. It's bizarre to have this and have a ranked mode with the same criteria.

Vagrant

Noob
Everything is fine except the disconnect thing.

Ideally KL and tournament would be ft3 but it's clear from TOs that that's apparently asking too much. I think that's why they switched rank from ft3 to ft2. That's not really on NRS.

I really like the extra little motivation KL gives. Good way to prep for tournament if you make sure you're building the right habits and you don't take it too seriously.

All your points are valid and spot on. But my main issue is LLLLAAAAGGGGGGG this is the only game I have connection issues with. Especially if I'm up against a wifi warrior. I would have been to elder God days ago if it wasnt for laggy matches back to back to back and the weird point system. Were both in grandmaster but because hes lower on the tier, he gains 60 to my 40. I lose 30 to his 20?

If everyone in grandmaster was 50 per win and 25 per loss would be way better

The point system in KL:
Its a joke, after making it to grandmaster its exponentially harder to climb the ranks to Elder God because the point system is unjust. You are not only playing people in your Rank you are playing all ranks and if you lose to a lower tier its incredibly outif your favor win or loss.
Maybe it's because a lot of fighting game players don't play other competitive genres, but this feels pretty expected to me. Progression is rarely a linear graph for online ranked modes, and can get quite steep at the highest ranks.
Rewards are lackluster past champion:
Anything above the bottom 3 ranks only gives you time crystals which are basically useless. Maybe this can be made more rewarding. This is fine if they fix everything else.
I don't think time crystals are useless! You're confusing them with useless because you haven't found anything you wanted to spend them on yet, I don't think that will be true for the foreseeable future.
FT2 Sets:
You don't have much tine to adapt to your opponents in Kombat League.
Really? I enjoy the Ft2, it's a nice compromise between determining who is playing better and getting in more matches and more opponents. People tend to have very positive association with Ft3 because it feels like they have more agency + they selectively remember the euphoric feelings they had upon coming back from down 0-2, but I would bet the numbers prove out that those situations are such outliers they are safe to prune in this situation.
Was really looking for a character-based system but whatevs. Wouldn't work with them resetting it monthly.

It's really just another way to get people who care about those skins to grind the game.
Absolutely, and I think this is great :) it's a fresh new approach to try and convert more players who may play offline exclusively or only dabble online into dedicated online players.

LawAbidingCitizen

All great points.

You earn like 10-15 points for beating someone 1 rank below.

I made it to Demi God today and it took me over 3 sets to rank up from 3400 points because they wouldn’t match me with another Grandmaster lol.
YeaH iM AlmOst Demi-God about 100 points away and if I liked KL I'd probably play more than 5 sets. I think many on here would make Elder God if the things I suggested where fixed.

wired

Noob
I think there's a certain strategy to FT2 if you don't know the person you're playing. Game 1 use your basic offense to see how well the opponent knows the matchup and how to block your strings. Get a feel for when that opponent likes to press certain buttons and use their specials in neutral and defense. Play very conservatively. Game 2 you adapt to what they're doing and be more willing to take more risks. Game 3, go with what worked in prior games.

Gaxkang

Banned
It's got different probs.

Yeah you get forced into Wifi fights that are quoted as 100ms or something, but become 200 or 250 in fight.

The points system is unwieldy. If you beat a laggy Erron Black below your rank you get like 10 points, if ya lose...you lose a chunk. Yeah ok heh.

It looks like the only way that saves someone's points is by pulling the cable. It appears altf4ing still awards points won or lost, but doesn't count the set for daily task is all.

And as per usual with a ranked mode, people play to protect them points like crazy, even if it ends up just being an annoying fight really.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I never had someone use lag switch, neither have i seen it on a stream. Im not saying it doesnt excist but i have my doubts of this lag switch thing is a big problem in KL.
Players have bad connections, if it randomly lags when your doing a combo it doesnt automatically means hes lagswitching.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yes, I was playing a Scorpion during the match who was smooth AF when he was comboing and punishing me but whenever I comboed him it would get slower and his amp teleport on block I could NOT punish, this has never happened before so this dude was pulling some shit. Counterpicking me with Scorp wasn't enough, he had to do that shit too. Then get this, I beat him with my Raiden the second match and the whole thing suddenly loses connection.... People like that deserve to be desynced on and reported. I don't normally support that mentality but against people like that, they deserve it. I never heard of a lag switch til now, perhaps that's what he was doing.

Lag can be random and should be for both, but I can tell when someone is cheating. Smooth when he's hitting me but when I hit him in a combo it suddenly gets slow, yeah BS.

Second issue is the first to 2 wins, this is such a dumb, small number should be at least best of 5 or first to 5.

Third issue, of course the desyncing issues/pullers/internet lag masters etc that don't go unpunished. As someone else mentioned, why are FG's behind with this shit? It's not just MK either, I've noticed the same for SF, Smash and other FG's.

Teabagging when you barely win. I know there's nothing one can do about this other than reporting for bad sportsmanship and believe me, if you do this I WILL report you no mercy. Don't like it? Don't be a dick, simple. No teabag, no report. You teabag, you get reported. Capiche? lol

I don't get this ranking system or any in any FG for that matter, with points, negative, positive what happened to good old W/L lol. I feel every game now has points. That aside, I get paired up with people a rank level or two higher than me so ok....system either pairing me with random people or it's saying "well you're better than your rank so you get paired up with higher ranked people" lol

I'm about to hit Grand Master, I've been getting paired against Grand Masters and Demi God a few times. Yet I'm still on Master currently.

LawAbidingCitizen

All your points are valid and spot on. But my main issue is LLLLAAAAGGGGGGG this is the only game I have connection issues with. Especially if I'm up against a wifi warrior. I would have been to elder God days ago if it wasnt for laggy matches back to back to back and the weird point system. Were both in grandmaster but because hes lower on the tier, he gains 60 to my 40. I lose 30 to his 20?

If everyone in grandmaster was 50 per win and 25 per loss would be way better
I agree it should be even points within your tier. They should also limit Grand Master to play within thier Rank. Maybe a Grandmaster has to play Demi-God only once on rank-Up match to get promoted.

I never had someone use lag switch, neither have i seen it on a stream. Im not saying it doesnt excist but i have my doubts of this lag switch thing is a big problem in KL.
Players have bad connections, if it randomly lags when your doing a combo it doesnt automatically means hes lagswitching.
There are multiple definitions of lag switching and the one I'm talking about wasn't selective just for my combos.
I can actually show you what I mean.

I've played you and know you can punish 5 frame Windows. Kung Lao has a huge window to punish teleport with D1 xx combo (more than 12 frames) I think you know I can punish that as well. I even considered it was possible I was mistiming it but I wasn't. I play sets with TYMers all the time and even on connections that are 160ms I can consistently punish Liu Kangs F43U3 gap with standing 1s into full combo and Kung Laos TP with D1/S1/S3/D2 while playing my TYM friends. But I was playing a Kung Lao on Kombat League that had a record of 300/8 and he was jumping over and over and using teleport more than 10 times per match if allowed. First round I punished them consistently on reaction (near flawless) second round couldn't punish and lag got bad. He even asked his wife to get on the WiFi (on the mic) and then it got bad.

This has happened multiple times and there are several at top rank with unbelievable W/L records. They are unplugging or lag switching.
BTW Sonics score is worse than theirs being more than 400 loses. I find it incredibly hard to believe all the top players in the world have dramatically worse scores than the person I described who had zero fundamentals.
The moment me and you started playing I instantly knew you where a good player. But this player looked like an 8 year old behind the wheel.
I'll try to find the replay but honestly it probably doesn't show what I felt. The caution symbol Pope up several times but only when it went above 300ms but the match started at 80ms then turned to 200 after he did whatever he had his wife do.

I saw it in another thread but can't find it again... How do we choose a custom look for a character in KL? I know we're stuck with the preselected moves but I've fought people with custom skins and gear

Vagrant

Noob
To be totally honest, people have been blaming imaginary lag switchers since mk9. It's a tempting thought to have this nefarious lag switch guy on the other side who made the connection bad just to beat you but I've been playing fighting games for like 10 years and have never encountered one or seen one. They could very well exist, but I think it's much more likely that people just kinda make it up out of salt because a connection was bad.

My feeling is a mix between the answers. I like more than I dislike about it.

I don't know what situations allow people to duck out of sets with no penalty, but if a person leaves early for any reason they should lose points, I should gain points and I should get the win. This is going to burn people who have an honest reason for a disconnect, but that's the risk of gaming on a shitty connection.

I wish the kombat points were currency and not XP-style. I wish I could just spend the points on stuff I want that's available during the season. Alternatively, it would be cool if I got rewards that were specific to the character I was playing KL with. It would incentivize me to play a lot more and try out characters I don't feel as confident about. I realize this is a lot more dev time to come up with gear or a skin for every character, but I'd personally rather the season last longer to offset the time spent to create the rewards.

In all though, I'm pretty happy with it as a v1.0.

Disconnects and "FT2 wifi Scorpion" are my only real gripes. Don't care that the rewards are lackluster, they are in all ranked fighting games I've played. I enjoy the climb for the sake of it. The pointing system is obviously generous and trends towards inflation in a good way. Better players climb the ranks faster but persistent players can still get stuff, just slower. I might have preferred it be less generous if it were longer sets and I could decline WiFi

But FT2 still baffles me. If anything, Pro League rules are an endorsement of FT3- and FT2 is just a concession due to constraints that are absolutely irrelevant in an online ranked mode.

Pro league sets until top 8 are FT2 because time constraints, not because it's more effective at determining the better player.

Pro league Top 8s are FT3 because time constraints are less an issue and it's much more important to determine the better player.

Afumba

Noob
Like the general idea but not how it is right now.

Disconnecting to avoid an L has to go. The decline option should be at like 100ms or at least 120ms (or in my case i would be happy to decline at all cuz the decline option is bugged for me :( ) You should also be allowed to decline players below your rank. Risking like 150-180 points to get nothing is bs. Otherwise the point system needs to be adjusted.

KL also definitely needs to implement character select before entering matchmaking or hide character select from opponent until both have locked their pick. For me this is even more important than fixing lag or anything else when it comes to KL.

Reward system needs to be changed. Its stupid as it is now as its totally unfair. Instead of having the skins/gear pieces placed arbitrarily they should allow you to select the stuff you want at season end. For skins you get 1 choice for each tier and for gear you get 1 choice for each rank.

Personally i would like a character specific ranking but sadly seasons are too short for that. I would take character lock though as i hate counterpicking.