What's new

The Princess Needs Help 2.0

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I was playing a Kitana in ranked, had them in the corner and thought jk on oki might be a good idea. But what if they u2 I thought?

Well he did, I got a full combo into brutality, and I was pretty much inside the u2 animation.

Seems like a reasonable thing to buff.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I was playing a Kitana in ranked, had them in the corner and thought jk on oki might be a good idea. But what if they u2 I thought?

Well he did, I got a full combo into brutality, and I was pretty much inside the u2 animation.

Seems like a reasonable thing to buff.
Her U2 is one of the worse ones in the game man. Sucks

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Yes I know I reserved a spot but this is easier to find and see.

Alrighty, I’ve put some serious thought into what I believe Kitana should have, including both variations and taking into consideration her frame data, and current universal bugs/issues.

And to quote REO “Kitana needs a lot of changes."

Whiffing Issues and Bugs:

• U3 Wakeup/Flawless block has a larger hitbox in front and upward to make this a true FB Launcher
  • Quick Execution no longer whiffs on grounded female characters
  • B231’s last hit no longer whiffs on certain characters (Example: Liu Kang).
  • D4 no longer randomly phases through whiffed attacks (Example Erron’s F4)
  • F2 has a larger hitbox to prevent it from whiffing on crouch blocking opponents
  • B231343 no longer randomly whiffs on the last kick.
  • B1 Has a larger hitbox below to prevent whiffing on crouching opponents
  • D1 now consistently hits at the same range regardless if the opponent is crouching or standing
  • D3 has a larger hitbox in front of Kitana
  • Amping Square boost no longer randomly whiffs on hit
  • Amping Fan Toss now consistently hits with both fans on an airborne opponent
Universal Frame Data:
  • D1 now starts up in 8 frames (lowered from 9)
  • B1 now starts up in 11 frames (lowered from 13)
  • 1 now starts up in 7 frames (lowered from 8)
  • 3 now starts up in 10 frames (lowered from 12)
  • 12 is now -1 on block (up from -5)
  • 21 is now +2 on block (12 frame high, currently is -7)
  • B231D2 is now -2 on block (Originally -6, string still starts from a 17 frame mid that ends with a 9 frame gap and can be flawless blocked for a full punish without spending bar)
  • F2222 is now -7 on block (lowered from -12)
  • 3212 is now -6 on block (lowered from -11)
  • F234 is now -3 on block (lowered from -7)
  • Fan Toss on a grounded opponent is now +5 on hit (up from -4)
  • Fan Toss on an airborne opponent is now at least +14 on hit (up from -2)
  • B131 Flawless block gap removed
  • B23 (new string) is -5 on block
Krushing Blows:
  • B142 KB Base damage increased form 29.5% to 33.5%
  • Square Boost KB requirement now triggers only on a counter hit/ punish and no longer requires max distance
  • Square Boost KB can now be AMP’d on hit leading to more damage (28%)
  • B321D2 KB now triggers if the opponent was hit with B321343 in a round
  • Forward throw KB added that triggers if opponent forward or back rolls.
  • Forward Throw KB does 31%
  • Sai Stab Krushing Blow requirement changed from landing three sai tosses to three sai stabs instead
  • D2 now properly triggers KB when used against high cmd throws
Universal Buffs:
  • Increased damage (Main bnb off fastest starter currently does 22-24%, should do 26-28%)
  • The third hit of 3212 can now be special cancelled
  • Amping Fan Toss now hits High Mid (changed from high high)
  • B34 no longer knocks the opponent away and allows a meterless followup
  • Kitana can now AMP Fan Toss in the air to immediately return to the ground
  • Fatal Blow Damage increased from 31% to 34%
  • Fatal Blow Damage scaling reduced
  • F234 can now be special cancelled on the 2nd hit.
  • B23 added as a new string
Fanfare Specific Buffs:
  • Kitana can now AMP Royal Protection at the cost of a defense meter to increase the duration of the move, parrying multiple projectiles as a result
  • The opponent can no longer breakaway while suspended by Fan Lift
  • Royal Protection Damage Buff duration increased from 2 seconds to 6 seconds,
  • Parrying a projectile resets Buff duration of Royal Protection
  • Square Boost base damage increased from 6% to 9% and AMP increased from 10% to 14%
Highborne Specific Buffs:
  • Edenian Razors now consistently hits grounded opponents when cancelled from a string.
  • Hitbox of Edenian Razors becomes active immediately and no longer phases through the opponent
  • Opponents hit by Sai Toss can be followed up for a combo
  • Directing Sai Toss location is now shown in the movelist
  • Teleport kick AMP has reduced recovery on hit to allow a followup if the opponent was hit while airborne.
BONUS: Third Variation
  • Includes Edenian Twist, Low Fan Toss, and Upward Fan Toss

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I would on,y give her mid MB fans, fix her whiffing issues, buff her projectile parry and give her a b23 string (make it -10 if you want, I just want b231 to not be completely free to jumps)

This is the first patch coming, i'd like to see them patch the game carefully. Give her these qol changes and see what happens.

I feel like what you sugested was a lot lol, sure if we want a broken Kitana. More Damage + being able to combo off fans is too much considering she gets meterless damage.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

Alrighty, I’ve put some serious thought into what I believe Kitana should have, including both variations and taking into consideration her frame data, and current universal bugs/issues.

• U3 Wakeup/Flawless block has a larger hitbox in front and upward to make this a true FB Launcher
  • F2 has a larger hitbox to prevent it from whiffing on crouch blocking opponents
  • D1 now consistently hits at the same range regardless if the opponent is crouching or standing
Universal Frame Data:
  • B231D2 is now -2 on block (Originally -6, string still starts from a 17 frame mid that ends with a 9 frame gap and can be flawless blocked for a full punish without spending bar)
Krushing Blows:
  • Square Boost KB requirement now triggers only on a counter hit/ punish and no longer requires max distance
  • Sai Stab Krushing Blow requirement changed from landing three sai tosses to three sai stabs instead
Universal Buffs:
  • Increased damage (Main bnb off fastest starter currently does 22-24%, should do 26-28%)
Fanfare Specific Buffs:
  • Kitana can now AMP Royal Protection at the cost of a defense meter to increase the duration of the move, parrying multiple projectiles as a result
  • Square Boost base damage increased from 6% to 9% and AMP increased from 10% to 14%
  • Edenian Razors now consistently hits grounded opponents when cancelled from a string.
  • Hitbox of Edenian Razors becomes active immediately and no longer phases through the opponent
  • Teleport kick AMP has reduced recovery on hit to allow a followup if the opponent was hit while airborne.
Not enough buffs. She needs about 40 more.

EDIT: Ok no, I counted your buffs you have 52 buffs there, so she needs 48 more exactly to make it an even 100 buffs.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Why not? I’m generally curious.
Sure allow me to elaborate. I always try to think like this "I want the stupid character to be less stupid. Not the decent/good character to become more stupid." And while I'm not saying your changes would equal her being stupid, I think they go overboard.

- B13 not connecting to fan lift mid screen
I like that it's a string that is a small damage midscreen footsie tool Pushback so you can't even be thrown after the full string. The two B1 strings are slow enough to be easily hit confirmed. both of them. So I like that if you want to throw out this mid and hope for a hit confirm into fan lift, you gotta go with the B14 and risk the high punish. Which makes B13 in itself useful to counter that. Plus with kitana having amazing corner carry, and 2 specials that allow her to escape the corner, I like this string being a corner only combo starter.

- Less recovery on fans
I don't want her zoning to be faster. She has fast zoning. Give her a mid fan on the EX version, totally. But I don't want her throwing fans faster. And I also don't want combo conversions from air fans. All I want is for air fan to connect to square wave, which can be EXd for extra damage + oki. That's good enough.

- More damage
I wouldn't raise her damage because in combination with other things to buff, it would become overkill. You don't want to give a character more damage AND more ways to get damage. It's like Liu Kang players saying "We need to do more damage with our Bnbs! Oh and we need an overhead too!" which would lead to people getting opened up more by F4 which would naturally increase how much damage they did in a fight anyway.

- 6 frame poke
It's just unnecessary. I don't want Geras to have it. I don't want Kitana to either. 7 frames is plenty. I'd much rather see 3-4 more recovery frames on down1s universally.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
As much as I'll take any buffs to Kitana the only one I absolutely NEED is for all fan tosses to be plus on hit so I don't require upward fan to do better combos. Especially since I can't have upward fan and low fan on the same loadout. Just make the fans convertible to combo so she feels like classic Kitana PLEASE. @16 Bit, As a Kitana fan yourself, WHY did you not smack the person who did this upside their head? Lol. Mostly kidding. And maaaybe give low fan an Amp that serves a purpose. Am I missing something or is the amped follow up pointless?

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!

Universal Frame Data:
Krushing Blows:
Universal Buffs:
Fanfare Specific Buffs:
Even though I agree with most of your changes, they are toooo many buffs and those would make her very very good. My personal buff list would be something like this (even though I've posted this in the general thread):
-Make her d1 (8 frames) and d4 faster.
-Not sure what the purpose of 21222 is but I'd like to see some plus frames on it.
-B231 is now cancelable as B23 (Also B2 is now 15 frames instead of 17)
-Increased range to her B1 (Not sure if she should be able to convert off B131 in neutral, she can in the corner)
-Increased range to her B3 (It's shit, let's be honest)
-F234 now hits Mid-Low-OH (And we can cancel the string at the low move, as you mentioned)
Special abilities:
-AMP fan toss is now a mid and it's safe on block
-Ground war as well as Fan Flutter (debateable) is now in her main kit and no longer an ability.
-Fan nado gets it's range decreased but can now connect combos, however requires 2 ability slots to use (since it would be a veryyyy good neutral tool).
Half blood stance:
-Increased damage to her dive kick
-Make Gutted either faster or fix hitboxes so that it can be connected to combos much more reliable.
-Make seeking Sai faster
-Rework the KB on that variation
I don't really use her edenian razors so I can't talk about that.
Also give us back the fan conversions, probably at the cost of a damage decrease. I don't want to see her getting more damage, I think her damage is pretty good since she gets combos meterlessly
I believe those changes would greatly help kitana and put her in a good spot.

DarksydeDash

Even though I agree with most of your changes, they are toooo many buffs and those would make her very very good. My personal buff list would be something like this (even though I've posted this in the general thread):
-Make her d1 (8 frames) and d4 faster.
-Not sure what the purpose of 21222 is but I'd like to see some plus frames on it.
-B231 is now cancelable as B23 (Also B2 is now 15 frames instead of 17)
-Increased range to her B1 (Not sure if she should be able to convert off B131 in neutral, she can in the corner)
-Increased range to her B3 (It's shit, let's be honest)
-F234 now hits Mid-Low-OH (And we can cancel the string at the low move, as you mentioned)
Special abilities:
-AMP fan toss is now a mid and it's safe on block
-Ground war as well as Fan Flutter (debateable) is now in her main kit and no longer an ability.
-Fan nado gets it's range decreased but can now connect combos, however requires 2 ability slots to use (since it would be a veryyyy good neutral tool).
Half blood stance:
-Increased damage to her dive kick
-Make Gutted either faster or fix hitboxes so that it can be connected to combos much more reliable.
-Make seeking Sai faster
-Rework the KB on that variation
I don't really use her edenian razors so I can't talk about that.
Also give us back the fan conversions, probably at the cost of a damage decrease. I don't want to see her getting more damage, I think her damage is pretty good since she gets combos meterlessly
I believe those changes would greatly help kitana and put her in a good spot.
B231 can already be special cancelled with B23 but she has nothing safe to cancel into.
Her B1 doesn't need more range when she has B2.
Me making her B34 a universal launching option makes up for the lack of range, and the string would still have a FB gap
Making her fans a mid is absolutely insane, they should be high mid like everyone else's.
You take away an ability, you need to add something in return so all characters in game have the same amount of specials.
Fanado isn't even in any of her variations, only lift is.
Making seeking Sai even faster is insane when on block it's like over +40 and jails into her fan toss at midscreen
Isn't allowing converts off an AMP teleport kick only if it hits an airborne opponent already a damage boost?

Please tell me in detail how my changes make her "very very good" when we have characters who have:
  1. 50/50s some of which are safe
  2. More damage than her
  3. Faster pokes and normals than her
  4. Better krushing blows especially those from throws when she has NONE despite relying on them
  5. Always get to have their turn back
  6. No Flawless block gaps
  7. Better Oki
  8. Strings they don't have to commit to
  9. Plus on block or safe cancels, some of which cost no meter
  10. Parries that actually.. PARRY.
  11. Unbreakable grounded damage
I can go on but you get the idea.

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

- More damage
"I wouldn't raise her damage because in combination with other things to buff, it would become overkill. You don't want to give a character more damage AND more ways to get damage. It's like Liu Kang players saying "We need to do more damage with our Bnbs! Oh and we need an overhead too!" which would lead to people getting opened up more by F4 which would naturally increase how much damage they did in a fight anyway."

22% for a bar midscreen with our best punisher is why everyone wants a damage boost. Even then we barely break 30% in the corner unless we some how hit them with a 13 or 17 frame mid. If they happened to jump, you can't convert and are full combo punishable when they get up. If that wasn't enough all they have to do is block and they get their turn back because everything we have is negative and our best poke (d3) doesn't even reach them.

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I’m honestly surprised no one else is really mentioning her back walk speed or back dash. Without mixups I feel like she should be able to weave in and out of footsie range a little easier.

A minor buff to these would go a long way in making her a more viable whiff punisher without completely overhauling her frames.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Much less complicated...

Air Fan conversions
Second fan in AMP Fan toss mid and safe on block
Fix current whiffing issues / hitbox weirdness.

The end.
This and if she’s still not good she can be buffed again. I expect many of the top tiers will be nerfed next patch.

DarksydeDash

EDIT: Ok no, I counted your buffs you have 52 buffs there, so she needs 48 more exactly to make it an even 100 buffs.
So, how many of those did you actually read as bugs, hitbox and whiffing issues, or movelist corrections? Hint: over 10

Or Variation Specific?

What about having practical and useful KBs? Which EVERYONE should have, btw.

Did I mention we're negative on everything and have the worst d3 in the game?

Also let me apologize for actually giving an idea to make her parry useful in a manner that fits MK11 instead of Royal Storm 2.0

I would on,y give her mid MB fans, fix her whiffing issues, buff her projectile parry and give her a b23 string (make it -10 if you want, I just want b231 to not be completely free to jumps)

This is the first patch coming, i'd like to see them patch the game carefully. Give her these qol changes and see what happens.

I feel like what you sugested was a lot lol, sure if we want a broken Kitana. More Damage + being able to combo off fans is too much considering she gets meterless damage.
Everyone keeps saying meterless damage but they fail to mention that it's AWFUL and our opponent gets to breakaway despite being in a stun state from lift. 22% off our fastest punish midscreen.. for a bar!? Yeah our mid starter gets us 26% midscreen, and we barely break 30% for a bar. Sure we have a KB to cash out damage with but midscreen that gives us the same amount as our corner damage, and in the corner we sacrifice positioning for damage that Geras, Kung Lao, Sonya, Noob, Baraka, Jax, Erron, Scorpion, Raiden, and more essentially get for a bar.

If we are able to combo off fans, then sure, we don't need a damage buff, because that in itself is one. Even then, her damage scaling is awful so it'd most likely be more hits for the same damage. I'm not asking for her to be hitting 30% no meter, but at least 26%-28% for bar actually takes a quarter of their life.

DarksydeDash

So, how many of those did you actually read as bugs, hitbox and whiffing issues, or movelist corrections? Hint: over 10

Or Variation Specific?

What about having practical and useful KBs? Which EVERYONE should have, btw.

Did I mention we're negative on everything and have the worst d3 in the game?

Also let me apologize for actually giving an idea to make her parry useful in a manner that fits MK11 instead of Royal Storm 2.0

Everyone keeps saying meterless damage but they fail to mention that it's AWFUL and our opponent gets to breakaway despite being in a stun state from lift. 22% off our fastest punish midscreen.. for a bar!? Yeah our mid starter gets us 26% midscreen, and we barely break 30% for a bar. Sure we have a KB to cash out damage with but midscreen that gives us the same amount as our corner damage, and in the corner we sacrifice positioning for damage that Geras, Kung Lao, Sonya, Noob, Baraka, Jax, Erron, Scorpion, Raiden, and more essentially get for a bar.

If we are able to combo off fans, then sure, we don't need a damage buff, because that in itself is one. Even then, her damage scaling is awful so it'd most likely be more hits for the same damage. I'm not asking for her to be hitting 30% no meter, but at least 26%-28% for bar actually takes a quarter of their life.