What's new

The Official Souls Forum (Demon/DS1/DS2)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I RPd Ornstein. His spear was the ultimate footsie tool. Low as hell damage but the reach man...

Maaan, I was one of the best pvpers in that game. I only DKS didn't have shit netcode and lagstabs didn't count like in DS.

I was seriously considering bringing FGC culture to the official Souls forums. Weapon matchups, build matchups, those things actually exist, the Souls series is very much like 3d fighters.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I'm assuming "SL" means level? Level 39 with the Black Knight Sword +3.
My bad, force of habit, yeah Soul Level. Black Knight Sword can actually be an endgame weapon, and level's fine for where you are. Black Knight Sword scales with Strength and Dexterity, D level and E respectively. That means more Str. means higher damage, Dex. will improve the damage as well, but at a lesser rate. The better the letter is, the more damage you get for that stat (an A scaling Str. weapon will do more damage with a higher Str. stat than one with a B-E). Elemental weapons (you'll see) have no scaling as a heads up. So if you aren't happy with your damage, upgrade your Strength more, but that doesn't apply to every weapon.

To answer about I Invading, there is a limit, but if you are doing the Red Spirit invasion (you being red) you invade people at a higher level. Blues invade people at a lower level.

Website if you want to see how your level will work with your gear. Just a character planner: http://m.mugenmonkey.com/

I used to treat Dark Souls pretty seriously :p

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
My bad, force of habit, yeah Soul Level. Black Knight Sword can actually be an endgame weapon, and level's fine for where you are. Black Knight Sword scales with Strength and Dexterity, D level and E respectively. That means more Str. means higher damage, Dex. will improve the damage as well, but at a lesser rate. The better the letter is, the more damage you get for that stat (an A scaling Str. weapon will do more damage with a higher Str. stat than one with a B-E). Elemental weapons (you'll see) have no scaling as a heads up. So if you aren't happy with your damage, upgrade your Strength more, but that doesn't apply to every weapon.

To answer about I Invading, there is a limit, but if you are doing the Red Spirit invasion (you being red) you invade people at a higher level. Blues invade people at a lower level.

Website if you want to see how your level will work with your gear. Just a character planner: http://m.mugenmonkey.com/

I used to treat Dark Souls pretty seriously :p
Spirits of Vengeance from the Darkmoon covenant actually have no upper or lower soul level restriction. You could be a lvl 10 spirt invading a lvl 573 player.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Spirits of Vengeance from the Darkmoon covenant actually have no upper or lower soul level restriction. You could be a lvl 10 spirt invading a lvl 573 player.
I remember seeing that was actually exaggerated, but haven't tested myself. Doesn't help that From never releases the numbers and we have to figure it out our selves. Btw's my PSN is W-Lrd_GreyWolf if anyone wants to hit Lodran with me

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
No matter how bad Blighttown is, it should be experienced if it's your first time playing the game. Still not as awful as 5-2 in Demon's Souls, though.
Meat cleaver black phantom is the hypest fight of the series for me. I'll never forget the first time she appeared. A true Soul's series moment when something just appears out of nowhere, makes you go "Oh god no wtf nooo" and kills you effortlessly :D

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I RPd Ornstein. His spear was the ultimate footsie tool. Low as hell damage but the reach man...

Maaan, I was one of the best pvpers in that game. I only DKS didn't have shit netcode and lagstabs didn't count like in DS.

I was seriously considering bringing FGC culture to the official Souls forums. Weapon matchups, build matchups, those things actually exist, the Souls series is very much like 3d fighters.
That's how I end up talking about it anyway. Always find myself saying like "dude you're at like -1000 when you get your stamina blown out!" Not to mention they actually have some of that in the Demon's Souls forums. They actually list general weapon types and what weapon types would counter them. Lol...pole weapons was on every single counter list. Mirdan hammer is so unfair! :) And hey, if you actually want to break it down I could try and help out and I'll gladly add it to the OP. (I would just rather get more input before I post something and get blown up for it.)

Killphil

Meat cleaver black phantom is the hypest fight of the series for me. I'll never forget the first time she appeared. A true Soul's series moment when something just appears out of nowhere, makes you go "Oh god no wtf nooo" and kills you effortlessly :D
Lol...Maneater Mildred. You ever use the meat cleaver yourself? A friend of mine is right now...gets health back even on blocked swings. Almost like some sort of counterpoint to the blade of chaos. :)

You're right. I invaded a guy at like level 35 when I was around 80 in Anor Londo. I was shocked that he died so easily, I messaged him and apologized because I didn't know the level restriction played in when you were Darkmoon (only thought it applied to the Forest Hunter Covenant)

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
The Zweihander is my absolute favorite weapon for both PVE and PVP and if it has the same attacks in Dark Souls 2 I will be using it in that game as well. I'll just go for a straight up strength/endurance/stamina/vitality/more HP and max equip load stats, I watched some DKS2 beta gameplay and they have changed some of the attributes and their properties a bit. I just hope there will be a way to PVP without soul level limitations and I hope Grass crest shield and Vow Of Silence-type of spell makes the game too. I really liked killing the ganker hosts as a forest hunter. Most of the time I would just run away until a red phantom or other forest hunters showed up and then proceeded to fight the host and his phantom(s) 2v2 or sometimes 2v3. The hosts would carry so many souls it was actually good for farming as well killing them, and of course it was not boring like farming is.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Lol...Maneater Mildred. You ever use the meat cleaver yourself? A friend of mine is right now...gets health back even on blocked swings. Almost like some sort of counterpoint to the blade of chaos. :)

You're right. I invaded a guy at like level 35 when I was around 80 in Anor Londo. I was shocked that he died so easily, I messaged him and apologized because I didn't know the level restriction played in when you were Darkmoon (only thought it applied to the Forest Hunter Covenant)
No, Maneater Mildred is a joke. I am talking about the meat cleaver black phantom in DEMON'S SOULS.

DarkPage

Kombatant
Oh shit i didnt know there was a souls forum on tym, when i platinum ed Dark Souls man.. still one of my greatest accomplishments lol..

Killphil

No, Maneater Mildred is a joke. I am talking about the meat cleaver black phantom in DEMON'S SOULS.
Oh well that's another story altogether. In my defense they do both show up in a swamp level. But you're right, the black phantom in that swamp had me squinting...then I couldn't move...then I died. Hell that swamp still kills me to this day.

Killphil

On paper, Dark Souls 2 is sounding a little more balanced than it's predecessor. Strength weapons get rewarded for blowing out stamina by getting a free riposte-like critical, spells can be manually aimed and have weak and strong versions (like using heavy button to cast soul arrow casts a more powerful version), you can move while readying a shot with bows, dexterity weapons focus on bleed and the effects go through shields. Its gonna be interesting for sure.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
On paper, Dark Souls 2 is sounding a little more balanced than it's predecessor. Strength weapons get rewarded for blowing out stamina by getting a free riposte-like critical, spells can be manually aimed and have weak and strong versions (like using heavy button to cast soul arrow casts a more powerful version), you can move while readying a shot with bows, dexterity weapons focus on bleed and the effects go through shields. Its gonna be interesting for sure.
I am just gonna level up so far that I can max out Health points, stamina and equipment load, as well as all the weapon dmg modifier stats eventually (strength, dexterity, intelligence etc.). Then I'll play through the game a few times to get some slabs for max weapon upgrades and unique drops more than once and experiment with different weapons for PVP and PVE. I only used one character in DS, DKS and I am hoping to use only one in DKS2.

Lock-ons have been nerfed so you actually have to manually aim your attacks which will be interesting, I just hope that weapons with vertical r1/light attacks won't suck because of this. I used the Zweihander in PVP without lock-on anyways in DKS so I could counter high poise backstab fishers. R1-mash stunlocks will probably be in DKS2 as well, which is kinda boring to be honest.

Killphil

I am just gonna level up so far that I can max out Health points, stamina and equipment load, as well as all the weapon dmg modifier stats eventually (strength, dexterity, intelligence etc.). Then I'll play through the game a few times to get some slabs for max weapon upgrades and unique drops more than once and experiment with different weapons for PVP and PVE. I only used one character in DS, DKS and I am hoping to use only one in DKS2.

Lock-ons have been nerfed so you actually have to manually aim your attacks which will be interesting, I just hope that weapons with vertical r1/light attacks won't suck because of this. I used the Zweihander in PVP without lock-on anyways in DKS so I could counter high poise backstab fishers. R1-mash stunlocks will probably be in DKS2 as well, which is kinda boring to be honest.
Nah man, they nerfed stunlocking in DKS tremendously with greatswords at least. And agility might actually speed up your hitstun recovery in DKS2. They tweaked a few stats and added a few new ones too.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Nah man, they nerfed stunlocking in DKS tremendously with greatswords at least. And agility might actually speed up your hitstun recovery in DKS2. They tweaked a few stats and added a few new ones too.
Yeah I hope they'll at least tone down if not completely remove stunlocking to make PVP fights longer and more interesting.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
They also added a respec so you can try multiple suit on the same guy. Think all the "Keep the PVP SL cap at 125" talk is insane with the new stats. Returning ones have different effects as well (Resistance isn't useless for example)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Being invaded at level 19 by someone who has end game armor/weapons and 1 hit KO's you is really dumb. I like the PvP but damn, that shit is just unfair.

Anyway, I'm notorious for always going to "new game" in RPG's so that's what I did. I foolishly spent about 6 stat points early on into Faith and Intelligence b/c I didn't even know what they did. Those 6 stat points may not be much but they're wasting away, besides wanted to be more of a tank anyway. Seems fitting for the Juggernaut.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Been testing out some PvP. The demon spear is really good in PvP. Great range and can attack while blocking... ala UMK3. Only have problems in severe lag or against magic users, other than that it's been hard for people to even damage me. Taking dat turtling to the next level.

Killphil

Been testing out some PvP. The demon spear is really good in PvP. Great range and can attack while blocking... ala UMK3. Only have problems in severe lag or against magic users, other than that it's been hard for people to even damage me. Taking dat turtling to the next level.
Try two handing a spear. You'll outrange basically every other weapon in the game and do more damage/recover stamina faster. Silver Knight Spear is great for this. :) Unfortunately turtling might be a little trickier in the sequel though, as getting your stamina blown out is going to severely hurt. x.x

Im so excited for March 11th :3
Me too! I'm trying desperately not to spoil anything more, but here check out some system changes.

-you can party up with people to give their signs priority in your world
-voice chat (you need a ring for it though)
-Total world death counter available somewhere in the game. (total for ALL users. that number is gonna be fucking huge.)
-Resistance stat has been removed and merged with Agility.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Me too! I'm trying desperately not to spoil anything more, but here check out some system changes.

-you can party up with people to give their signs priority in your world
-voice chat (you need a ring for it though)
-Total world death counter available somewhere in the game. (total for ALL users. that number is gonna be fucking huge.)
-Resistance stat has been removed and merged with Agility.
I heard the inventory system is going to be much better, some kind of grid system.

Not going to be able to do as much at bonfires. Also heard that you can warp from bonfire to bonfire essentially at the beginning of the game, not sure how I feel about that.

Killphil

I heard the inventory system is going to be much better, some kind of grid system.

Not going to be able to do as much at bonfires. Also heard that you can warp from bonfire to bonfire essentially at the beginning of the game, not sure how I feel about that.
I don't know about kindling because the estus system is changed, but you can get a fire stick from bonfires, and they made it so if you're with someone else and they have a fire stick to light the area, YOU can see their damn light, unlike in the previous game. The warping part doesn't seem AS big a deal because you probably still need to fight your way to those bonfires anyway.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I don't know about kindling because the estus system is changed, but you can get a fire stick from bonfires, and they made it so if you're with someone else and they have a fire stick to light the area, YOU can see their damn light, unlike in the previous game. The warping part doesn't seem AS big a deal because you probably still need to fight your way to those bonfires anyway.
Yeah, but it means there will be a lot less backtracking. Which, backtracking can be perceived as both a good and bad thing. The way Dark Souls did it, it is awesome to me because no other game really does that. The shortcuts and having to go back to areas you have been is cool as long as it isn't tedious. And when it got to the point that it could be tedious, you were given the warp ability at bonfires.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Can't wait for DS2. I've been playing the crap out of Dark Souls and getting into PvP. Sucks I got into it so late, but at least I will have some experience going into DS2.

If anyone wants to get raped by me in PvP next week in DS2, just lemme know.

EDIT: Also, who all is getting it next week?