What's new

The new wake up system is broken

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I'm not sure people realize how huge that is yet but it's truly a game changer and it's going to make rushdown players rage.

What it basically means is that some characters can now gtfo for free on wake up. They don't even need to spend meter to be completely invincible to meaty pokes, projectiles and specials. That alone makes rushdown characters struggle a lot more now. As a Stryker player, that wake up buff really helps a lot so I'm not really complaining. But at the same time I can see how broken some wake ups are now.

I had a Cyrax player go through all my bullets and grenades on wake up using only his air throw (not even enhanced version). That alone made it extremely difficult to zone him. This meant I couldn't get that zoning advantage and I had to stop zoning because otherwise I would just trade with net. And up close I couldn't even pressure him with meaty B3 or D4, all my attacks would just whiff and Cyrax would cross over with air throw and get me cornered. Seriously, Cyrax is nearly untouchable on wake up now. And he can keep all his meter for his 50% combos because the guy doesn't even need armor or breakers anymore.

What NRS has done basically is made normal wake up attacks bette than enhanced wake up attacks. Invincible for 12 frames is better than armor because you don't trade at all, you just go through all attacks.

EDIT:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I want them to remove that. I'm just realizing how much it changes the game and how easy it is now to avoid pressure without meter.

Only time will tell if it changes things for better or worse.

EDIT2: Changed the title and wording lol.
Well Jax will be better. I is gonna have fun with my wake up attacks. Also.........Take that KL players!

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I honestly don't find it a major game changer. It's not that big of a deal. I watch reo deal with it by delaying his cross up a bit now. So if your looking to rush down just wait till your foe wakes up and cross over punch.

But I suck so I don't know for sure.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

DanCock

Cock Master!!
waking up early sucks I like sleeping in.
Lolol I know wtf

On topic though - I just realized I probably shouldn't be commenting on this thread because I have major issues with my mk PDP stick the joy stick sucks and the block button is s random. So much so that I tore some parts out the other day O_O so yea disregard what I said in my last post.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

AC1984

Kaballin!
I'm so happy about that...now wakeups are working the way they were designed to. I was so pissed every time a character beats me out of my wake up move. Wakeups should be scary and powerful so you think twice before you get in. With so many options available by choice (overhead,low or unblockable throws,) the lack of consistent wake up attack is plain ridiculous...Good job Nrs.

P.S. Dan, get IL stick and IL buttons from arcade paradise and forget about the problem.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
A working wake up system in my MK? GTFO.

I want my Teleport Uppercut, Teleport Punch, and Geyser Kick stuffed 24/7.

Ughhh I hope this is the first and LAST change to the wake up system. If this game turns into a turtle MK fest, instead of the rush down...in your face... game I love currently, my time with this game will dwindle quite fast.

Sheeva doesn't even have a good wake up without needing to spend meter lmfao. So I figure to make up for that I'd try to rush down and be as aggressive as I can (even though I play like that with all my characters lolz).

Why punish those who encourage the rush down (thank god the meter system is the way it is)? Hell to be honest, I think "wake up attacks" (how they work in this game) are a tad scrubby as it is. That shit would cost a bar of meter if it was up to me. Oh well...

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Why punish those who encourage the rush down (thank god the meter system is the way it is)? Hell to be honest, I think "wake up attacks" (how they work in this game) are a tad scrubby as it is. That shit would cost a bar of meter if it was up to me. Oh well...
I think they're kinda silly in this game aswell, but at least they're working correctly now. I think you have the same problem I do (I know you've played many different games competitively as I've been on SRK for many years). Things that should absolutely not even have the chance of being a wakeup move have wakeup properties like fireballs. I can't think of another serious fighting game that has something like that. Basically, if wakeup moves we're dedicated to particular moves then it would have made much more sense, but what can you do. Just gotta go with the flow, Dude.

Somberness

Lights
Tom Brady said:
its 10 frames of invincibility.

the first 2 frames are there to give you a bigger window to input the attack.
Proof that it is more than 10 frames now: http://i.imgur.com/e3PnR.jpg

The image on top is the first frame of an enhanced roll on wakeup, done by the cpu so it is perfect. The 12th image is where it hits, so the attack takes 12 frames to execute. Normally, CSZ's parry will counter it (not the regular roll though) but it does not happen here, shown by the 13th image.

I think they're kinda silly in this game aswell, but at least they're working correctly now. I think you have the same problem I do (I know you've played many different games competitively as I've been on SRK for many years). Things that should absolutely not even have the chance of being a wakeup move have wakeup properties like fireballs. I can't think of another serious fighting game that has something like that. Basically, if wakeup moves we're dedicated to particular moves then it would have made much more sense, but what can you do. Just gotta go with the flow, Dude.
You are absolutely right brotha. ^_^

Just gotta keep on keepin on. I love this game though. But now I have to..."think" after I score a knock down lol.

Its not broken just some guy that got his ass kicked online came here to complain.That's all I get out of this thread.
lol truth is I actually beat a Noob Saibot just before I made this thread.

We were both low on life, at the end he got a teleport on me and tried to chip me with a shadow tackle. Out of desperation I tried a normal roll toss on wake up. To my surprise my roll just went through his clone and killed him for the win. Even I thought that was stupid and shouldn't have happened. The worst part is the clone wasn't even meaty, he seemed to delay it a bit but I still went through like it was made of wind.

So again, I'm not complaining. I'm just realizing this: Now we have a game where resets are king and any type of meaty attack is no longer reliable/viable.

This not only affects rushdown players, but also zoners. No more meaty projectiles on Cyrax to keep zoning advantage.

galindo

Noob
i love it, makes you think a bit more on what to do after a knockdown....except everyonce in a while it does look like its a few frams too damn long!

but hey still an awesome game for many, including me

NRS has nerfed johnny cage's nut punch, then made wake ups better. I'm beggining to feel someone at nrs took one to many shots to the dick playing this game and wanted to give johhny a taste of his own medicine

Proof that it is more than 10 frames now: http://i.imgur.com/e3PnR.jpg

The image on top is the first frame of an enhanced roll on wakeup, done by the cpu so it is perfect. The 12th image is where it hits, so the attack takes 12 frames to execute. Normally, CSZ's parry will counter it (not the regular roll though) but it does not happen here, shown by the 13th image.
I thought there was something fishy about Tom Brady's numbers.

I've witnessed some stuff that was WAY longer than only 10 frames of invincibility. Then again, there might be a collision bug no one is aware of yet. Like, maybe there's some bug that makes some characters keep invincibility for a longer period of time than they normally should.

davidovitch

In Europe!
Okay, so now that Brady filled us in on exactly what was changed, the following characters are the one with full-covered wakeup.

Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Raiden
Nightwolf*
Kabal**
Sub-Zero
Kenshi
Kano
Jade
CSZ
Baraka*

* = Gained a fully-covered wakeup attack
** = Kabal is a special case, as his projectiles will become active on the very first frame of the final input
What I don't understand is: If you guys find it so fair that every character gets a safe wake-up, then what about all the characters that are not on that list?

Man I just realized how good Baraka is now.

His wake up Blade Spin is 100% invincible and is like +0 on block. He has a reset (F4) and a full screen armor move. Godlike.

Justice

Noob
I haven't been able to download the patch yet, but this sounds like a good thing to me. I was sick and tired of watching Sonya lay on her back (not in a good way) while doing EX Kartwheel wakeup and having the only thing happen is that I lose a bar of meter for nothing.