What's new

The new wake up system is broken

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Cyrax basically has Raidens old teleport on wakeup but with no recovery at all and can punish most moves you try to use while hes grounded. Thats messed up.
actually ive been getting hit out of it by cages f33 alot, its good against projectiles and jumpins but still its still able to beat.

Sasuga

Noob
But... You still have to do a perfect wake-up for it to have full invincibility for 12 frames? Otherwise a meaty will still stuff it?

[EDIT] Read Tom's statement. It is now easier to get perfect wake up, right?

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Tom Brady said:
its 10 frames of invincibility.

the first 2 frames are there to give you a bigger window to input the attack.
so what exactly was the change in the wakeup system? was it just a few more frames to input the attack?

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Tom Brady said:
2 more frames to input, 2 added frames of invincibility.

again, its a sad day in the mk community when we have a thread where the statement is "damnit nrs!! you made the wake up system work right!!! we need to talk about maybe changing it back"
thanks, i think people are just a bit confused as to how to change their rushdown this far down the games release, i dont think anyone is truly asking for it to go back though.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Tom Brady said:
this thread should be closed. it is only future open invitation for the ignorant to be able to come in and cry after losing.
or they can now come to this thread, see what they're doing wrong, adjust to the new system and then never complain again?

Tom Brady said:
2 more frames to input, 2 added frames of invincibility.

again, its a sad day in the mk community when we have a thread where the statement is "damnit nrs!! you made the wake up system work right!!! we need to talk about maybe changing it back"
Err... I never said they should bring it back to the way it was before. Fail at reading Brady. :) I personally love it and I know it will make Stryker that much better. This wasn't supposed to be a complaint thread.

I've just seen some.. "things" that made me question this change. That's all.

I didn't know it was horribly wrong to discuss system changes and their possible impact on the game.

Sasuga

Noob
Tom Brady said:
what community are you in? look around, that doesnt happen here. close this thread please.
You mostly read complains from people who don't adjust. But most people here come to learn and adjust, you just don't hear them whining.

If only time will tell if it makes the game better or worse, then "broken" is definitely not a proper choice of words.

I've mained Jax and Cage for a long time now and done pretty well without relying on meaty pokes or specials, I just predict whether they're doing a wakeup special or not and act accordingly. I block if they think they will (and if I'm right I get a full combo) and I attack if I think they won't (and they're afraid to so they might not). The only thing this will change for me, as a primarily rushdown player, will be that I'll no longer get hilarious full screen forceballs on Scorpions trying to teleport.

I agree with Tom that this is how the wakeup system was always intended to work.

Altaire

Noob
So... Wait. People think it's bad that you can't consistently stuff certain "invincible" wakeups anymore?

Invincible wakeups are invincible for a reason. The point is that you have to actually make reads and guess as to whether or not they'll jump/block on recovery, or use a wakeup attack. If you can stuff your opponent's wakeups, you don't have to make reads at all, you can just flail around like a jackass with high priority attacks and force them to block every time.

I really can't understand how this change is a bad thing.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Err... I never said they should bring it back to the way it was before. Fail at reading Brady. :) I personally love it and I know it will make Stryker that much better. .
It already is, I used to harass Strykers If I would pick Sindel/Kang with a low fireball after a knockdown now he consistently just rolls through it on wake up with the bf4 if I'm at a somewhat close range which seemed to always stop him before. So it's definitely helping. Just need to adjust a little bit for my rushdown characters I guess. I don't really mind it though, definitely made me think twice before tossing out random low fireballs after hes knocked down now.

Shady

Noob
Moral of the story... End combos with resets.... :).... But no, seriously, all this has done is actually made the wake up system work. I took advantage of this so many times before the patch with Kabal, mostly because the ground saw does come immediately after the input regardless if the rest of the animation is interrupted. If I scored a knockdown I would just throw out a saw immediately after stuffing most wake up attempts in their tracks. Now, with this new system, I can't do that because of the recovery on the saw and the added invincibility. So that means I actually have to be smarter about pressuring the wake up. Makes the oki game much more relevant to MK9.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Okay, so now that Brady filled us in on exactly what was changed, the following characters are the one with full-covered wakeup.

Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Raiden
Nightwolf*
Kabal**
Sub-Zero
Kenshi
Kano
Jade
CSZ
Baraka*

* = Gained a fully-covered wakeup attack
** = Kabal is a special case, as his projectiles will become active on the very first frame of the final input

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Wow and we PS3 users are missing this?
If wakeups work now, then I'm one happy mofo.

btw, does anybody know how many frames does one have to input the wakeup attack in order for it ot have invincibility?(10 frames of invincibility, mrite?) I dont think im understanding it that well.

NariTuba

disMember
Sounds like this was the way the wake-up system was originally intended to be... stuffings were way too easy on some characters and impossible on others which was definitely odd; especially when one type met the other. Im all for this change, lets play the shit out the game guys so they can tweak it if needed. Thanks Colt for showing up and posting.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Idk what the problem is Im on psn so I dont know yet but countless times I've tried a wake up attack that didn't come out and I'd be like WTF.Why wouldn't people want better wake up properties? What is the point of this thread anyway?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
My friend and I always thought it was pretty stupid that when we play against this certain individual he would always stuff our wakeup attacks. We've been saying "why the hell does it say wakeup attack on my side if I'm the one still getting combo'd?" This is great news. I can't wait for this patch.

Okay, so now that Brady filled us in on exactly what was changed, the following characters are the one with full-covered wakeup.

Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Raiden
Nightwolf*
Kabal**
Sub-Zero
Kenshi
Kano
Jade
CSZ
Baraka*

* = Gained a fully-covered wakeup attack
** = Kabal is a special case, as his projectiles will become active on the very first frame of the final input
Jax's dash punch doesn't count?

Also I could have sworn that I've wakeup gotcha grabbed (by accident) through full screen projectiles.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Tom Brady said:
what community are you in? look around, that doesnt happen here. close this thread please.
This is a silly attitude to have, i for one wouldn't have known about the in depth change to the wakeup system if i hadn't seen your explanation (not that i had a problem with it anyway) but straight up saying that the thread should be closed just because of a handful of bitchers and denying this info to people that seek it isn't a great idea.

Let the bitchers bitch and leave the information out there for people that need it.

Yeah, I really like this change on the whole. Much better way of making rushdown tougher than letting people break throws while blocking!

Although she's not on THTB's list, Mileena might get the most out of this. I have never been able to hit her out of wakeup EX teleport since the patch, and that's one of the less punishable wakeup moves with one of the best situations on hit.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't think the wake up system is broken. Seems fine to me, the block button does wonders.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Its not broken just some guy that got his ass kicked online came here to complain.That's all I get out of this thread.