What's new

Tech The NEW Black Adam Combo Thread

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I didn't say crossups weren't enough. I said he didn't have much of an oki game, which he doesn't. Adam's more reliant on punishing the opponent for whiffs or catching them with counter hit set ups rather than actual mixup. He's a lot like Cody in that sense.

Celerity

Lab Monster
I guess I don't agree with that. He has great oki, the hard part is getting the knockdown. If Black Adam had a good route to untechable knockdown, his setups would absolutely be the best in the game. No other character can do a safe jump double crossup and have it be completely safe on block. Plus, bombs are pretty underrated I think.

I definitely agree with the Cody comparison, but, mixup and oki are not directly related. It's just about forcing them to play a certain way, and exploiting their lack of options. You can use oki for running away, even.

SonicBoomBrad

I guess I can agree with you in that sense. Though I find the main problem with his double over heads is the fact that he has no lows. So generally good players won't even block low against Adam unless you're full screen. I do agree with you in the sense that bombs are underrated. I think it's just because it's hard to lock people down with Adam unless they're in the corner. I feel like we're both on a similar page but not agreeing on the terminology. I'm going to guess that as the game progresses and people figure him out more we'll probably end up having to sacrifice his huge damage combos for less damage combos that lead into untechables. While saving the big damage for punishes.

Celerity

Lab Monster
The double crossup is ambiguous though. You can do J2 into either divekick, and at certain ranges the DB3 will hit left while the DF3 hits right. It's basically the reason you should always roll vs Black Adam.

If you're going to use 22b1 you have to confirm with 11xxT first. 22b1 is a pretty bad block string, specially if you can't confirm the last hit. And if they block the 11xxT you can just d1xxZap as a follow up for safe pressure.
If they block 22b1 you can just special cancel into Lightning Storm to remain safe/create some distance or cancel into Orbs for a frame trap. 22b1 is a great hit confirm especially because you don't need trait to confirm into a juggle. b23 is still better because it's +frames of course. But you can't cancel the 3.

Adam doesn't really have an oki game other than cross ups and overheads to be honest.
You should start ending your combos with Lightning Storm, Dive Kick, Black Magic MB and interactables more. Watch my oki thread for ideas.

Even off Ra Power and Ka Servant I'm able to mixup my opponent to death. And those are knockdowns with less frame advantage.

SonicBoomBrad said:
And he has no lows. So nobody really crouch blocks against him.
d3, Lightning Strike and Lightning Bomb are lows.

"Nobody crouch blocks vs Black Adam". Yeah and that's why I land 90% of my d3s. Which is an untechable knockdown that leads into his ambiguous dive kick, double cross-up or single cross-up setups.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Man great job with the thread. I love how Black Adam plays. I am maining Green Arrow but his future seems uncertain. I am waiting till tuesday to decide if those NRS fools (tribute to M2Dave) are nerfing unfairly again, to decide on dedicating on a new main. Right now I'm caught between Black Adam and Superman. Both are very good and Superman's combos are a piece of cake compared to Black Adam but I really hate Superman as a character in general so... My question and I know it's in the op is if any of you Black Adam mains have any tips on how to practice, either visual or audible or timing tips on the B23, 11 link. Maybe I lack the talent but it's really inconsistent for me. I will keep practicing but if I can get any tips it would really help. Thanks.

Btw Vulcan Hades your Stryker was Godlike on xbl.

Lockett

Noob
I'm not sure why you think crossups aren't enough. It's worked for years in Street Fighter.

Lockett I think Vulcan Hades made a video somewhere on these boards, but IMO the best potential of this character is still unexplored because everyone just wants to U1+3 for bigger numbers. The U1 ender in the corner is a true 50/50 if they don't have an invincible wakeup. Midscreen Boot Stomp gives you a ton of time, so you can go for the crossup, throw down a bomb, get to an interactable, whatever you want.

Remember that rolls are reactable. You know whether they've rolled as soon as they hit the ground. That means you can easily judge your options knowing where they're going to end up, and if they're close enough you can go for the crossup even if they roll, but it won't be safe. Certain characters like Deathstroke can actually blow up all of your oki options including bombs, so with him you'd just U1+3 every time. It's really matchup and spacing dependent, you can't flowchart with this character.
Trust me when i tell you i have been following these forms since day one release, Thanks to the dedicated BA's on this form Ive seen alot of Black Adams potential and i do understand that BA has a oki game . I was looking for Matches show casing his oki game. I haven't seen any Ba's Utilize this in Tournaments. Tho i see BA's place all the time, they arnt utilizing his oki game at all.

When we have igau sessions, i do well with my BA many people struggle against him. My oki game is some what decent im just trying to utilize it to a different degree i suppose. Which is why im looking for match videos show casing his oki to better improve my oki ( Show by Example kind of guy lol).

EDIT: Vulcan Hades I follow your Informational/match vids, Actually i use your unblockable bomb set ups(SOOOO DIS RESPECTFUL)

SonicBoomBrad

If they block 22b1 you can just special cancel into Lightning Storm to remain safe/create some distance or cancel into Orbs for a frame trap. 22b1 is a great hit confirm especially because you don't need trait to confirm into a juggle. b23 is still better because it's +frames of course. But you can't cancel the 3.

You should start ending your combos with Lightning Storm, Dive Kick, Black Magic MB and interactables more. Watch my oki thread for ideas.

Even off Ra Power and Ka Servant I'm able to mixup my opponent to death. And those are knockdowns with less frame advantage.

d3, Lightning Strike and Lightning Bomb are lows.

"Nobody crouch blocks vs Black Adam". Yeah and that's why I land 90% of my d3s. Which is an untechable knockdown that leads into his ambiguous dive kick, double cross-up or single cross-up setups.
You can still combo after b23, as tight as the timing is. I've actually been working on the combo ending in j1 dive kick for the past couple days. Completely changing my bnb in my head is going to take some time though. I'll make sure to go watch the oki videos. I actually corrected myself in a post saying that people don't usually block low against Adam unless he's full screen. And I'll be the first to admit that I don't use bombs nearly as much as I should. But I do appreciate the help. I've evolved my playstyle overnight pretty much thanks to this thread. Hopefully it'll help me place higher in tournaments. I actually have been meaning to incorporate sweeps and grabs a lot more into my game in order to keep people guessing, I just never got around to it until now.

Edit: Just to add to that. When I was talking about Adam not having much of an oki game, I was comparing him in my head to characters like Shazam, who have amazing oki game. Just for some clarification.

SonicBoomBrad

Is there a certain way to connect the j2 xx divekick after 22b1? Half the time I try it the dive kick whiffs or doesn't come out.

Celerity

Lab Monster
Is there a certain way to connect the j2 xx divekick after 22b1? Half the time I try it the dive kick whiffs or doesn't come out.
If the J2 is connecting, you've got the hard part. Boot Stomp can be chained from J1/J2 so you're allowed to do the input as early as you want, unlike J3 where you have to wait a little bit. Just do J2 DF3 as quickly as possible. Check your input display and make sure you're doing it cleanly.

As for whiffing, you can thank NRS hitboxes for that. It feels like there's a weird spot around most character's knees where I just fly through them, and I have no idea why. Personally I always aim for the feet.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
The way I do it is like this:

after 22b1 delay the jump, wait till they begin to turn their faces to the ground, thats your visual cue to j2 xx dive kick. Practice it a bit and then you'll get the timming down. I get that now with no problem, because I was doing it like you were, too soon.

Hope I've helped o/

EDIT: clarified my explanation.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
What's up dark magicians. I have got a timing tip for connecting the 11 after the B23. This timing tip is intended only as a guide because with time and practice (enough repititions) you will get it down by muscle memory. Here goes: After the B23 wait till Black Adam's back hand reaches his back thigh and then input the 11. This is just a guide though and it's not 100 percent guaranteed but for a visual cue, the sweet spot to connecting the 11 is when you see that animation. With some practice it will become kind of easy and very consistent where I can do it without looking for it. I'm sure most of you won't have problems with this because he takes good execution to play and the advanced players will have this down no doubt, but for the newer people picking him up hope this can help.

(This can also be achieved by mashing but its more inconsistent and in my opinion and I believe to learn the proper timing will be more beneficial to players in the long run.)

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Thanks man, thats a 1f link and a visual cue is always handy till you get it down.

With that Dark Magicians you reminded me of Yu-Gi-Ho LOL

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Celerity yeah I forgot there was a new combo thread. Glad to see you are doing such a great job keeping up with the thread though. Great stuff man it's appreciated. :)

vicious1024

Does it matter?
I've been using 1 3 to end some of my combos when playing against characters with weak wakeup options - trying to get jump in pressure afterwards. Using JI3 helps to dodge a lot of wakeup attacks - Lantern's lift, for example.

Example: B2 xx T, 2 2 xx Lightning Cage [MB], B3, JI3, 1 3; 50%

I've also been trying to Use Orbs as early as possible, and extending combos long enough to mitigate the cooldown.

Example: 2 2 xx T, 2 2 xx Lightning Cage [MB], B3, JI3, B2 3, U1+3; 54%.

You have a hit confirm so you don't needlessly waste Orbs, and they should be done cooling down as soon as Teth hits the ground.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I've been using 1 3 to end some of my combos when playing against characters with weak wakeup options - trying to get jump in pressure afterwards. Using JI3 helps to dodge a lot of wakeup attacks - Lantern's lift, for example.

Example: B2 xx T, 2 2 xx Lightning Cage [MB], B3, JI3, 1 3; 50%

I've also been trying to Use Orbs as early as possible, and extending combos long enough to mitigate the cooldown.

Example: 2 2 xx T, 2 2 xx Lightning Cage [MB], B3, JI3, B2 3, U1+3; 54%.

You have a hit confirm so you don't needlessly waste Orbs, and they should be done cooling down as soon as Teth hits the ground.
Everything you cancel into orbs on block is + so you never waste it. You want to use the orb cancel blockstrings to chip down your opponent and give you free throw/d3's

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Finally some lab time with BA!

Meterless and Traitless BNB

J2, 22b1, b2~Black Magic, b23u 1+3 31%

J2/J1 22/b2~Black Magic, b23u 1+3 30%

50% + easy combos for online

j2/j3, b1~Trait~22~MB Cage, b1~Black Magic b2,3,u 1+3 51%

j2/j3, b1/22~Trait~22~MB Cage, j3, 13~Lightning Storm 50%

j2/j3, b1/22~Trait~22~MB Cage, j3,1~Black Magic~ b2,3,u 1+3 52%

Personally i don't like ending b2,3 into 1+3, but im posting damage not setups. Prefer doing U1...

If these have been posted before then my bad guys!