What's new

Discussion The negativity online (mkxl)

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I made a status update about this, but it is a subject I want to get as much feedback as possible, so I decided to make a thread. Put it in the label of MKXL since this opinion comes mainly from playing mkxl online modes.

All these years playing mk online (in particular mkxl), I have to say that online in mk has one of the most toxic environments one can imagine. Entering I find a variety of people I would absolutely never interact with in real life.
Sparingly, I find friendly people that just want to play and enjoy. But 99% of the times I stumble upon salty people, sore losers, harassers, passive-aggressive dudes, self grown guys trying to prove something, 1 game and runners, quitters, people insulting and threatening you...

And, sadly, also good and very well known players or "pro" ones often fall in some of these categories too (many would be surprised if I gave names). So it's definitely not a matter of skill. Entering online feels like entering a shithole of negativity, and it seems to be getting worse over the years, imo. All of this causes that many times, I feel in a worse mood after playing, even to the point where it makes me seriously consider just quitting and play single player games.

Is really this set of attitudes what represents the people who like MK?
Is it something one will find by default in any competitive game, or generally in any online game?
If that is the case, what is the reason in your opinon? Legit concerned.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
This is something that is gonna happen with any online game regardless of it being competitive or not. Of course that the more people play the game, the higher chance you would run into such players that act in a bad way, but at the same time that you will get a higher chance to meet people that act in a good way, because you have a much larger amount of players to play with.

I myself ran into some shitty people online, but also some really nice people, and the majority of them where nice IIRC.

And as for other communities and games, there are far worse, and these stuff happen with other Fighting Games online.

So in short, don't get discouraged to play MK online, go out there and have fun, and keep the nice people close to you :)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don’t think it’s an MK problem in particular, although some things are infuriating to lose to. If they somehow got outzoned in MKX they won’t like that, or same for not liking Fate in Injustice. MKX does have a lot of infuriating ways to lose though, so if it was to some setplay AND they were already an immature person, it’s gonna be bad

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Ismael, do you play Overwatch? If not, play competitive mode in that and then come back to MK. You will be surprised how light the FGC is in comparison.

In my experience, fighting games have always been hella toxic, I will say though. I don't have any pictures from the MK9 days anymore (used to be loads) but here's some from back in the late IGAU days. These days it's just the nature of online games I think.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
Ismael, do you play Overwatch? If not, play competitive mode in that and then come back to MK. You will be surprised how light the FGC is in comparison.

In my experience, fighting games have always been hella toxic, I will say though. I don't have any pictures from the MK9 days anymore (used to be loads) but here's some from back in the late IGAU days. These days it's just the nature of online games I think.
MMH main detected!

/blocked

ismael4790

Never played overwatch. The only games I have played long enough online to give an opinion on this are mk9 and mkx. And these behaviours definitely got worse in mkx in comparison to 9, as sassolino says. I wouldn't end citing examples. It makes the experience a lot worse. Reason? Maybe society is changing, for the worse.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I remember my Doomsday days in IGAU. I met this one guy online who mained Frost, which many pepple considered pretty bad for DD. We played 10-20 at a time and he mopped the floor with me. We were both pretty cool about it and laughed at the stupity of the mu. Then, I took a break from him after a while and returned. Games began to be in my favour, up to 18-2. Holy shit that guy got salty, unfriended me and thrashed me in every koth we were in, and I entered every koth he was for a while to play the mu and piss him off, cause he wouldn't accept me anymore. But me, I got so proid of myself that I could beat that one dude that mopped me hard before and never looked back.
In short, enjoy yourself and don't take online seriously.

Roy Arkon

I remember my Doomsday days in IGAU. I met this one guy online who mained Frost, which many pepple considered pretty bad for DD. We played 10-20 at a time and he mopped the floor with me. We were both pretty cool about it and laughed at the stupity of the mu. Then, I took a break from him after a while and returned. Games began to be in my favour, up to 18-2. Holy shit that guy got salty, unfriended me and thrashed me in every koth we were in, and I entered every koth he was for a while to play the mu and piss him off, cause he wouldn't accept me anymore. But me, I got so proid of myself that I could beat that one dude that mopped me hard before and never looked back.
In short, enjoy yourself and don't take online seriously.
Good point, people can get salty very easily. We shouldn't put emphasis on people online that much, because they who knows how they will behave afterwards. This is not the communities fault, it's not even online's fault, it's just how some people wanna use online for their "advantage".

Dayvon

Noob
It's the online world we live in. People are more prone to be savage. I think since ranked is first to one and MKXL is so dirty people get salty easier.
Hit me up for some games. I'm tired of playing salty adults :p CIES_Dayvon

Roy Arkon

I don’t think it’s an MK problem in particular, although some things are infuriating to lose to. If they somehow got outzoned in MKX they won’t like that, or same for not liking Fate in Injustice. MKX does have a lot of infuriating ways to lose though, so if it was to some setplay AND they were already an immature person, it’s gonna be bad
It's the online world we live in. People are more prone to be savage. I think since ranked is first to one and MKXL is so dirty people get salty easier.
Hit me up for some games. I'm tired of playing salty adults :p CIES_Dayvon
It has nothing with to with how MKX is or how the Ranked system works in MKX. Also, IJ2 can have the same amount of "infuriating was" to lose, just like in a lot of other fighting games, and it's really not that hard to get outzoned in MKX.

It only boils down to the online and how people wanna take advantage of the anonymity in it, period.

ismael4790

It has nothing with to with how MKX is or how the Ranked system works in MKX. Also, IJ2 can have the same amount of "infuriating was" to lose, just like in a lot of other fighting games, and it's really not that hard to get outzoned in MKX.

It only boils down to the online and how people wanna take advantage of the anonymity in it, period.
Only anonimity shows the true face of the people. And it sucks to see the kind of garbage that there is out there, tbh.

Roy Arkon

Only anonimity shows the true face of the people. And it sucks to see the kind of garbage that there is out there, tbh.
Damn right on that one. When you're in public, you wanna say and do so many things, yet you won't be able to do it without getting your ass whooped, either physically or verbally, so people use the online to do and say their stuff, and that is why I myself starting to get the whole internet in a much more different light, TBH.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
semi-unrelated but, team games are usually saltier than FG's for me due to the fact that you're relying on something that's out of your control (team) whereas in FG's if I lose it's either:
  • A bad MU, which can be countered by picking a different character.
  • I just played bad, which is my fault,
  • or I got outplayed
You only get better by admitting your mistakes. I once had a dude rage quit and told me I was playing like a bitch because I cornered him, or another one where I was playing our classic overpowered Bane. If they don't want to learn - Fine, have fun getting salty the next time someone comes around and does the same thing.

Best one I had was that I was playing as Bane (Pre-buff) v Batman (Pre-nerf) and CLEARLY getting my ass stomped because Batman wins basically at every place on the screen provided he has bats and bar (Which he ALWAYS does in that MU). The guy was good execution wise, his neutral was on point and he knew the MU - To abuse fullscreen meter build (i.e zone) and bats armour breaking properties, play the patient game vs Bane. I'm alright because I know he's playing the game right, why would he try and play up close against Bane?

So I pick Fate after losing 2 games straight (I'm 0-2 and trying to learn Fate for counter picks, specifically for a character like Batman) and as soon as he's getting zoned out you hear this mic crackle to life complain about the "spam" and "OP Fate" etc etc. So I win the next 2 games, go into the third, and am basically working on a 150% life lead and I just decide leave and give him the win.

I don't have time for people like that, I'm trying to learn the game. Sure maybe he didn't have a pocket counter pick, but he's not trying, he's just complaining and blaming his loss on the "game" and not the fact that I was prepared for this situation and had a pocket Fate.

Cursa

Idk I just don't really see why people feel the need to rage message in FG's. Like I get frustrated when Fate zones me out, or Flash just 50/50s me to death, but that just means I need to either get better against them, whether by learning the MU or by picking a better character for the MU.

^Pretty much this. I do find the internet and online culture more toxic in general than it was, say 20 years ago, but that's to be expected with the ease of online gaming now.

I've heard MOBAs and team shooters tend to be the worst, but of those genres and titles I've only played a bit of Heroes of the Storm, and always private games or Quick Matches so I haven't seen much of it. StarCraft II has been my more recent Multiplayer game, and even there, after a few hundred games of 1v1, I thankfully only encountered a few bad mannered opponents.

Honestly though, Private games are typically the way to go now, at least for me. That or Single Player (Versus AI is my main mode in Mortal Kombat XL since my friends no longer play).

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

I think MKX and Injustice 2 produce different kinds kinds of rage.

For example zoning in I2 is a lot harder to get around without run or half the cast having a teleport or slide and zoning tools in general being stronger so some people who may not be too stable will rage about being zoned in Injustice.

Cursa

Playing against salty people is also way better than having to play with salty people.

When you play an Overwatch comp game and the first thing you hear on the mic is some 23-28 year old dude who picked a 3rd DPS going "Why do i always get stuck with people who don't go fucking healer", you know it's just gonna be another 5v6 game because he thinks he's too hot as DPS to go healer/tank.

From that point you can make the safe assumptions that:
  • He'll blame his team for his death every time
  • Ask "where is my team" every time he's out of position
  • Always be out of position anyway and get picked as a result
  • Never make call outs on enemy positions and let his team die as a result
  • Never follow plays/counterpicks/choke/ult combos suggested by other team members
  • Never counterpick to a different DPS to counter one of their strong players (i.e I don't need a Genji against a Pharah-mercy)
  • Just assume that everyone knows that he wants to combo ult
  • Complain about the meta, while simultaneously not playing the meta
Yea FG's are way less salt inducing if you know what you're actually doing.

Edit - I forgot the big one: "Well on my main account I'm in Grandmasters/Top 500, I just go on this one to practice my Genji/Widow/Hanzo/Mcree"

Probably every second person I run into in an OW comp game is on their "smurf"

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Is really this set of attitudes what represents the people who like MK?
Is it something one will find by default in any competitive game, or generally in any online game?
If that is the case, what is the reason in your opinion? Legit concerned.
1. Depends on your definition of "represent". If you watch streams of pro tournaments such as EVO you'll see handshakes and good spirit and in all these years I haven't seen a tournament that ended badly for anyone because in the actual pro scene it is understood that you keep your whiny bitch ass to yourself if you lose.

2. PVP games have this attitude. Also, games where trading is prevalent. It's human nature: the average IQ of humanity is getting lower according to some research so there will only be more of the same.

3. The reason is that people are dumbasses and they stop drop and crybaby if something so simple as a game does not go their way.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Imo people in ij2 are even worse. In mkx I made tons of new friends, The people who were good at the game also were really friendly and respectful Most of the time. There were some Really toxic and salty people of course but I rarely encoutered them and if so I just ignored them especially in rooms.
Now ij2 is about 1 year old And during that time I met exactly one person online that I ran some sets with because most of the time when I try to say something nice to people after a set I almost always get fuck you‘s, kill yourselfs or ur playing cheap characters back. I only run sets with people From my FL who I already know or play ranked and that‘s kinda sad