What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
So I've been pretty vocal about maining Cassie Cage and I've picked up Mileena recently. I love her pressure style it really suits me. Is there anyone else I should add to my arsenal? I was thinking Smoke or CSZ. Is it really necessary though?

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
So I've been pretty vocal about maining Cassie Cage and I've picked up Mileena recently. I love her pressure style it really suits me. Is there anyone else I should add to my arsenal? I was thinking Smoke or CSZ. Is it really necessary though?
Mileena Cassie probably covers most of your matchups I'd think.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
That's what I thought, thanks! I really wanted to try Kitana since the new patch but I kinda hate playing her. Maybe Covert Ops Sonia in the future just cause I really love her :D

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Need help picking someone new for XL I used to play Lackey and HW Jax before PC lost support and I dropped the game. I have kp1 but not kp2 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not play Kit or Sub so anyone else is ok.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Need help picking someone new for XL I used to play Lackey and HW Jax before PC lost support and I dropped the game. I have kp1 but not kp2 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not play Kit or Sub so anyone else is ok.
You ought not lose hope, for now PC version is finally getting the support now that QLoc took the trouble to fix HVS mess.

Judging by your criteria, you would use Tremor. If you like to stay in mid-air, try Ermac, because he's trolling with him being in mid-air.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
You ought not lose hope, for now PC version is finally getting the support now that QLoc took the trouble to fix HVS mess.

Judging by your criteria, you would use Tremor. If you like to stay in mid-air, try Ermac, because he's trolling with him being in mid-air.
Thanks man, I just wanted to stay mid tier area because i know if i pick and put time into kit or cyro they will mostly likely get nerfed. I will give the Tremor a try though.

Temetias

"MKX kid"
Ok so...

I've been playing this game for quite a while but still haven't managed to stick with a character fully. I think it's high time for the commitment.

At least I finally know what I'm looking for: I want a character that has a safe special that I can just end most strings with. Preferably pressure-heavy. Some set up play is also nice too but not necessary. Runcancels I just can't do reliably, I most likely wold be maining HQT if I could.

My current "mains" are Warrior and Assassin. Warrior has nice bf1 which leaves you not that much minus. Usually you can get away with d3 checking them afterwards to keep spamming the pressure.

Kitana in the other hand is just so nice because you rarely get punished for going fan after a string and it converts to nice damage.

Anyone can come up with a character that I might've missed that has the same kind of playstyle?

TLDR Character with special you can cancel string into to be safe and preferably the ability to go full rushdown. "Safe rushdown" so to speak.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Ok so...

I've been playing this game for quite a while but still haven't managed to stick with a character fully. I think it's high time for the commitment.

At least I finally know what I'm looking for: I want a character that has a safe special that I can just end most strings with. Preferably pressure-heavy. Some set up play is also nice too but not necessary. Runcancels I just can't do reliably, I most likely wold be maining HQT if I could.

My current "mains" are Warrior and Assassin. Warrior has nice bf1 which leaves you not that much minus. Usually you can get away with d3 checking them afterwards to keep spamming the pressure.

Kitana in the other hand is just so nice because you rarely get punished for going fan after a string and it converts to nice damage.

Anyone can come up with a character that I might've missed that has the same kind of playstyle?

TLDR Character with special you can cancel string into to be safe and preferably the ability to go full rushdown.
I'd say DF Liu if you could get used to run cancels, otherwise Flame Fist is a better bet. Amazing rushdown with a -2(IIRC) Backhand to cancel strings into.

I can't think of anymore right now, it's too early here. I'll update the post if I think of any more, and remember to do it.

Temetias

"MKX kid"
I'd say DF Liu if you could get used to run cancels, otherwise Flame Fist is a better bet. Amazing rushdown with a -2(IIRC) Backhand to cancel strings into.

I can't think of anymore right now, it's too early here. I'll update the post if I think of any more, and remember to do it.
Thanks! I've actually not even really tried Liu yet, I kinda don't like him as a character so I've just not given him a proper chance, but maybe it's a high time to try how he really plays and not just judge him for that funny sound he makes haha.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I feel you, some characters I won't play because I just don't like them. Liu is a really good choice, I always have a hard time fighting him, even if you block his strings on FF the chip damage is ridiculous. You might like Cass as well. I've been playing her since I got the game and so my opinion is totally biased but she's super solid, albeit hard to learn.

Temetias

"MKX kid"
I feel you, some characters I won't play because I just don't like them. Liu is a really good choice, I always have a hard time fighting him, even if you block his strings on FF the chip damage is ridiculous. You might like Cass as well. I've been playing her since I got the game and so my opinion is totally biased but she's super solid, albeit hard to learn.
Thanks! Yeah, I guess FF Liu is the one I'm looking for then. It's just gonna be hard to kinda look past the fact I don't find him "cool". But safe rushdown really is his thing and that's what I'm after and I don't think my options are many, so...

Cassie I've tried and play a bit actually. She's really cool but not the kind of rushdown I'm looking for. She gets punished for a lot of things and that's just not for me. I play too reckless.

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

Thanks! Yeah, I guess FF Liu is the one I'm looking for then. It's just gonna be hard to kinda look past the fact I don't like him. But safe rushdown really is his thing and that's what I'm after and I don't think my options are many, so...

Cassie I've tried and play a bit actually. She's really cool but not the kind of rushdown I'm looking for. She gets punished for a lot of things and that's just not for me. I play too reckless.
FF is not only easy, safe and fun but he's also one of the stronger characters in the game i highly suggest you check him out. He has a cool meta involving the windmill punches

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Hey guys I main Grandmaster Sub and want to find a second character. I don't care about them being top tier, I don't have near as much time, and tbh not as much motivation to be good at the game as I used to, im just looking for fun. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here are the characters I use/have used:
- Grandmaster Sub, iv played and loved him since launch.
- A-List Cage, dropped him since he was boring.
- Stunt Double Cage, dropped because I stopped having fun with him after this latest patch, the changes to the mimics kind of hurts my ability to be creative with him and pressure at all really.
- Cyber Sub-Zero, dropped after 3/29 patch for obvious reasons.
- Royal Storm Kitana, played her off and on for a bit, in not great with her but I know a lot about her in general.
- Ninjutsu Scorpion, still play him for fun every once in a while but I used him for his armor shredding capabilities and would always end in f42 and that's gone so as a result so is the reason I used him.
- War God Kotal, dropped because he's no longer braindead, I only ever played him because of B1 and have no drive to advance the character.
- Tarkatan Alien, dropped because he's garbage now, only played him because he was OP and complimented Sub's bad matchups very well pre patch.
- HQT Predator, no real reason I dropped him, just kinda stopped playing him.
- Sektor, same as HQT

Any tips on who to play?

CrazyFingers

Hey guys I main Grandmaster Sub and want to find a second character. I don't care about them being top tier, I don't have near as much time, and tbh not as much motivation to be good at the game as I used to, im just looking for fun. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here are the characters I use/have used:
- Stunt Double Cage, dropped because I stopped having fun with him after this latest patch, the changes to the mimics kind of hurts my ability to be creative with him and pressure at all really.
- Royal Storm Kitana, played her off and on for a bit, in not great with her but I know a lot about her in general.
- Ninjutsu Scorpion, still play him for fun every once in a while but I used him for his armor shredding capabilities and would always end in f42 and that's gone so as a result so is the reason I used him.
- War God Kotal, dropped because he's no longer braindead, I only ever played him because of B1 and have no drive to advance the character.
- Tarkatan Alien, dropped because he's garbage now, only played him because he was OP and complimented Sub's bad matchups very well pre patch.
- Sektor, same as HQT

Any tips on who to play?
Tbh play Leatherface so I can further my Hillbilly Cannibal agenda.

CrazyFingers

- Sektor, same as HQT

Any tips on who to play?
If you love oppressive corner game like with GM, grab Quan, Tremor or Bo. No only do they encourage you to think outside of the box with their gameplan but like I mentioned, their setplay is disgusting and since you love playing GM I assume you're a man who enjoys his setplay.

CrazyFingers

OH Dualist Liu Kang is also a super creative character that has some of the dumbest pressure ever. He's tons of fun if you're up to that challenge.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If you love oppressive corner game like with GM, grab Quan, Tremor or Bo. No only do they encourage you to think outside of the box with their gameplan but like I mentioned, their setplay is disgusting and since you love playing GM I assume you're a man who enjoys his setplay.
Summoner would be fun, I don't really like the way Tremor and Bo play.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm gonna main Cyber Sub-Zero. I know how he is and he has his weaknesses but he is definitely usable and he's the funnest character in the game for me. I don't have the time or drive to be super good at the game anymore so I don't need a super top tier character any more. And he's still Sub, so he helps feed my Sub-Zero boner so win-win.