What's new

The most recent Shang Tsung match up chart

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The cyrax community even says this is a 5-5. I don't know where Detroit got 3-7 from, even if it is in Cyrax's favour.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Detroit why do you feel Baraka-Shang is 6-4? Blade Charge is really good in this matchup I feel because Shang can't really punish it, and it forces him to have to guess from midscreen. Plus Baraka has a decent armor move and a 6 frame D3 to get out of pressure. Full screen Raka gets zoned to shit though, I know that :/ I feel it's more 5-5, maybe 5.5-4.5 in Shang's favor.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Detroit why do you feel Baraka-Shang is 6-4? Blade Charge is really good in this matchup I feel because Shang can't really punish it, and it forces him to have to guess from midscreen. Plus Baraka has a decent armor move and a 6 frame D3 to get out of pressure. Full screen Raka gets zoned to shit though, I know that :/ I feel it's more 5-5, maybe 5.5-4.5 in Shang's favor.
there is nothing shang can do to punish blade charge. my clanmate spams the hell out of this when i want to try something from midscreen or go in for pressure. Best thing is to poke at him with a soul steal after they do it cause what my mate started doing was either doing another one or jump backwards if i went in for d4 pressure or if he sees my trying to guess a gs skull to throw out, i have a 33% chance of choosing the right one. Only time im scared to zone him is when he has meter but other than that you getting skulled to do death.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
there is nothing shang can do to punish blade charge. my clanmate spams the hell out of this when i want to try something from midscreen or go in for pressure. Best thing is to poke at him with a soul steal after they do it cause what my mate started doing was either doing another one or jump backwards if i went in for d4 pressure or if he sees my trying to guess a gs skull to throw out, i have a 33% chance of choosing the right one. Only time im scared to zone him is when he has meter but other than that you getting skulled to do death.
Yeah but like I said, the Shang player can't really just throw out Up/Ground Skulls once I get within Blade Charge range. At that point it becomes a guess both ways. Like you said, all you can do is just check with a Soul Steal, which can actually get beat by a jump-in, or another Blade Charge (unless it's an EX Soul Steal of course), And if it trades (I.E. I get hit by a Close Ground Skull right as Blade Charge hits) Shang loses the trade. And once Baraka get's in close, he really has the advantage I feel. That's why I think it's 5-5. Shang destroys far away, Midscreen is even, Close is slightly in Baraka's favor. Thanks for the input guys!

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Don't overstimate the power of F+4,cGS.
tbh i agree with you. anyone with a 7 frame d3 and good timing can just poke the hell out of this after the first one you do. that is why you have to mix it up by throwing in you own d3 sometimes but still they have stopped my pressure. Also, sometimes they can counterpoke you when you try the d3 to f4 link especially if they are p1 :)

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
As a Cyrax main, I feel Shang has the tools to compete with Cyrax at the highest level. After a soul steal, a super-powered cyrax does over 100% with a one bar reset. The key to the match is not trying to soul steal unless its in a combo, because usually a soul steal will be trading with a net thats on the screen. Just my .02...

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
As a Cyrax main, I feel Shang has the tools to compete with Cyrax at the highest level. After a soul steal, a super-powered cyrax does over 100% with a one bar reset. The key to the match is not trying to soul steal unless its in a combo, because usually a soul steal will be trading with a net thats on the screen. Just my .02...
After talking to Maxter this past weekend, I would agree that the matchup is in Cyrax's favor. It is just too risky for Shang to throw any projectiles or SS's because all of the trades are in Cyrax's favor. What is even more messed up is that if Shang SS's at the wrong time then he can bomb trap himself, even on hit. And I have difficulty accepting the superpowered Cyrax argument. SS isn't particularly useful against Cyrax because even if you get a combo immediately after morphing, Shang will usually morph back before you can do much damage, even with EX SS. I hope to see you at EVO, Han. The only GGA guys I haven't met yet are you and Jeremiah.

Reactions: HAN

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
It is probably in Cyrax's favor I would say, but not 7-3, likely a 6-4 matchup. And all of GGA will be at EVO; I hope to meet you and a bunch of other great players that I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet. Later...

-Pete

I say Shang vr Sonya is 5 - 5 arguing that all effects of SS are particularly powerful in this match up and Shang's quick strings can make advantageous distance between Sonya

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
I say Shang vr Sonya is 5 - 5 arguing that all effects of SS are particularly powerful in this match up and Shang's quick strings can make advantageous distance between Sonya
after playing this match up so much with showtime and gamerblake, this is clearly a 6-4. It is no way shang's quick strings keep up with sonya. f4~gs can be interrupted with ex cartwheel so u have to do more f4~ss. she can armor 121 and 122 string. Your zoning has to be on point or ur gonna get eaten up with d4~ms mixups. Once she has u in the corner good luck cause ur only saving grace then is exSS. Maybe im doing something wrong but she owns this match up.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Baraka- 6/4
Cyber Sub-Zero- 4/6
Cyrax- 3/7
Ermac- 5/5
Freddy- 4/6
Jade- 6/4
Jax- 5/5
Johnny Cage - 5/5
Kabal- 4/6
Kano- 6/4
Kenshi- 4/6
Kitana- 5/5
Kung Lao- 4/6
Liu Kang- 5/5
Mileena- 5/5
Nightwolf- 5/5
Noob- 4/6
Quan- 5/5
Raiden- 5/5
Rain- 6/4
Reptile- 4/6
Scorpion- 6/4
Sektor- 6/4
Sheeva- 6/4
Sindel- 5/5
Skarlet- 5/5
Smoke- 4/6
Sonya- 4/6
Stryker- 5/5
Sub-Zero- 5/5

Match ups in Shang Tsung's favor: 7

Even Match ups: 13

Bad Match ups: 10

EDIT: Changed the match up against Jade.

Discuss.

This MU chart isnt correct anymore imo

Shang does better against kenshi

Clayman

you don't get it, do you?
I admit that i'm nowhere as good @ shang as DetroitBalln is, but this chart looks like random numbers to me.