What's new

The most broken moves(Chars) in history of fighting games, list them here.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Also, Piccolo in Shin Budokai 2 was retarded. In Shin Budokai, literally one of your 2 primary attack buttons (Smash Attacks/S Attack) gave you autoguard for one hit, and could be charged to be unblockable, on top of being guard cancellable during the charge. Piccolo had a string, SSS. It reached 3/4 of the screen, each S hit twice, and each hit caused enough hitstun to link naturally. It was the ultimate keepaway option in the game, and outside of taking certain risks, it was ridiculous for the rest of the cast to handle. On top of this, his super easily comboed from this string, and gave him easy confirms for a full bar and a half of your life (competitive play set the life to 4 bars). And should you get hit by this super, it didn't matter that it costed so much meter. He could charge it all back before you ever got back up. This not only allowed him to have meter to escape combos with teleports, you couldn't fuck up vs him. He was such a broken character.

In Burst Limit, he was heavily nerfed, but still managed to be fucked up.

made this vid long time ago, not 100% accurate, but a few things are true

Akuma is the noteworthy ban due to the fact that the gameplay mechanic he introduced could not truly be dealt with in the frame of the game he was in. When Akuma starts raining down air fireballs on you in ST, there's not much you can really do about it.

Gill in SF3 is only available in console versions, so this wasn't a legit ban in the scene for a while, but when he was finally selectable, it was obvious he had all of his boss abilities. He wasn't toned down for player use. He ranks number 1 in pretty much every metric you can measure in Third Strike, and his banning isn't debatable.

Mini's ban was because of the insane damage she did with normal
moves while this character was able to dodge every attack easily.
Basically once she was cornered she could easily escape
and start the whole full screen projectile keep away game again.

Hilde, however, is probably the first example of a standard, non-boss character being banned in a major scene. Why? She can ring-out people on hit confirm at mid-stage.
She can win any round at mid-stage from a hit confirm. So to beat her, you need to play solidly (of course), but you have to be careful anytime your back is less than half the stage distance to the ring end.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Also, Piccolo in Shin Budokai 2 was (soap bar in my mouth). In Shin Budokai, literally one of your 2 primary attack buttons (Smash Attacks/S Attack) gave you autoguard for one hit, and could be charged to be unblockable, on top of being guard cancellable during the charge. Piccolo had a string, SSS. It reached 3/4 of the screen, each S hit twice, and each hit caused enough hitstun to link naturally. It was the ultimate keepaway option in the game, and outside of taking certain risks, it was ridiculous for the rest of the cast to handle. On top of this, his super easily comboed from this string, and gave him easy confirms for a full bar and a half of your life (competitive play set the life to 4 bars). And should you get hit by this super, it didn't matter that it costed so much meter. He could charge it all back before you ever got back up. This not only allowed him to have meter to escape combos with teleports, you couldn't fuck up vs him. He was such a broken character.

In Burst Limit, he was heavily nerfed, but still managed to be fucked up.
Dragon Ball Z used to have some good competitive setting, i wonder what happened because the direction Raging Blast 2 went was so crap lol

THTB

Haha, although i agree Broly was one of the best characters in the game, since tenkaichi 3 was codded with power levels differences in mind.
Anyone below a certain level couldn't even make him finch by default without charging their ki to full power.

He also had one of the best setups in the game when his Ki slot had 3 uses, he could use his super which was a command grab then uses the Kakarot powerup while the opponent is falling after getting hit by the super so he could use his unblockable ultimate and pick them up as they land, i admit that was stupid dumb.

But broly has the same issue as everyone else who wasn't an android, they need to have ki to wistand on their own, so if they're just idling they ki won't rise up they need to charge head on for that to happen, and Broly normals were hella slow.

I dunno how the game was played overseas, but in here we've seen ppl cry, adult ppl dropping tears because the most advanced players wouldn't let you charge, the first one to charge his ki in front of the other will die.

That's something A-17, A-18, A-19 and A-20 (dr.Gero) didn't had, although they couldn't charge ki without being completely full they ki would built up on their own even when they're not attacking, so you never had to worry or doing ki management with them, but all other androids were weak, A-17 was so dumb, he would win you in Ki management, and his normals were incredibly fast, and his blast was so fast, multi hitting, lesser ki consumption and incredibly hard to vanish in between, and the best part is that if he finished his combos with his blast, even if you dodge it, you will reappear in the same place, so you don't have a chance to counter him, and you have spent nearly half of your ki to perfectly avoid his 2 fireballs, while his Ki is still building up, if you move in fast you will spend more of your ki, you can't charge anyway because you're in front of him, you cannot block while charging and you won't be able to block if you stop charging when they're already at your face.

So many learned the hard way, that character was rad, and the best part was that he could cancel his dash into body blows, body blows could be vanished but usually they win trades against light attacks, when he gets behind you after making you suffer that long, its over.

Pretty sure he was one of the strongest characters in the game, but i loved Tenkaichi 3, very well compettive and was one of their best games system ever, the charge system was fine as well, building up ki was at your own risk, the best way of having ki was to fight and make them block your attacks, or you could give up offense to build ki, but you wouldn't build that much.

These were the most playable characters in here, and had some really strong representations

Teen Gohan
A-17
Broly
Krillin (Krillin was damn good)
Ultimate Gohan (One of my favorites)
Son Goku
Vegeta
Gogeta
Picollo
Cell
Buu (Damn i forgot Buu, he was stupid strong as well)
Goten
Super A-17

There were many others who i can't recall that much, but used to be good too.
Broly's combo set wasn't fast, but it had really good options overall. His main weakness was that his rush string got out prioritized vs some characters, since it was based more on length of the string, so clashing rushes sucked. Broly's also had higher than average life, and good defense. He also wasn't easy to sway.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Broly's combo set wasn't fast, but it had really good options overall. His main weakness was that his rush string got out prioritized vs some characters, since it was based more on length of the string, so clashing rushes sucked. Broly's also had higher than average life, and good defense. He also wasn't easy to sway.
Yeah true too, you talking about broly brought back some old memories, hence the laugh, those were the days.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Wesker was popular in vanilla MvC3 but he was no Wolverine or Pheonix, he actually got a little better in Ultimate. And if you're referring to the dark wesker fad during UMvC3, that was very short lived. Once people realized what Morrigan, Vergil, and Zero could do Wesker's popularity died down significantly.

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Bio Freaks: Zipperhead's machine gun!
X-Men Next Dimension: Too many to list!
Bushido Blade: That fucker who brought a gun to a sword fight!

THTB

Dragon Ball Z used to have some good competitive setting, i wonder what happened because the direction Raging Blast 2 went was so crap lol
The scene was there until RB2. Which sucks because it was probably the best of the Tenkaichi games.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
Kuhbawl was for sure the best character in mk9, but when I think of most broken I would say cyrax.

I mean he is like the definition of a broken character.

This is a fun yet informative thread, pretty sure half of TYM has played other games and had to deal some real mean stuff in fighting games like ST Akuma who has a lot of notoriety or T4 Jin considered to be a tier of his own during the T4 days, some of these chars were coded with some really dumb moves or a combination of such tools which makes some characters extremely broken. Find out there by every members hand the most broken characters to ever exist.

Personally, i dunno about ST Akuma, but i know he is pretty famous so i'm sure someone will fill us in on this one.

KOF 96
Iori Yagami
If you played KOF 96, pretty sure you learned about how stupid broken Iori was, a 3f DP move with capable of absorbing multiple hits and win trade blows 99% of the time, Iori shoryuken was so good that was basically impossible to punish if blocked or whiffed, besides he had some really good zoning tools as well, SNK saw how stupid strong he was in KOF96 that from 97 ownwards they added some pushback to his DP and more recovery on block so he can't spam DPs one after another.

Street Fighter II Vanilla
Fuckin Guille
Yeah, once upon a time in capcom, Daigo saw a Guille with no charging to perform sonic booms, blowing everyone up from fire ball into crouching heavy that was just as safe and he had to practice whiff punish on a turbo version of the game in order to get that frame, he got the name "fuckin Guille" back in the japanese arcade days, makes you wonder how much of a fucboi "Guiller" was lol.

MK Gold
Sektor
Just ask Shock

Mahvel "Vanilla version"
Albert Wesker
Wesker made a name for himself with his Samurai Edge hand gun that used to give him some ridiculous infinities off one single shot with his ex factor on, fun times, sadly he got heavily nerfed in the UMV3 update.

Tekken 4
Jin Kazama
This character had a laser cannon, laser scrapper and a laser annihilator, the last one was a holdable move with unblockable proprieties and cancelable on reaction, the problem is that this laser annihilator move could be just framed to perform a unblockable laser scrapper and make any other character in the game pray for the player in control of him.

World heroes perfect
Hattori Hanzo
I didn't knew of this one until later on, for a game i used to think is fun, discovering how dumb Hanzo is made me stop playing the game, he could cancel ANITHING with a taunt, and then taunt cancel with a dash, this mechanic would make him land multiple his until the opponent gets dizzy and then takes him out of the dizziness with another combo making him dizzy again.

MK Trilogy
MK2 Kung Lao AKA Kung Broken
Imagine a KL with the best run speed in the game although he doesn't run, he walks faster, boss damage and really good normals, no one had a chance. a 24% damage combo with JK~DK, and often 74% on one BnB

Breakers and Breakers revenge
Sho
For a game that got an update visco games forgot to patch it, the only reason he is even allowed to play is because while broken he is very nice appealing, Sho has a kick which on block leaves him do a small jump behind you which it can be punish, the problem is, sho can cancel any of his air animations with a super move, so when you think its your turn to retaliate you might want to reconsider, because that super bruh.

Samurai Shodown II
Ukyo Tachibana
Easely the most broken character in the game, has a 3f mid with 2 active frames and nearly no recovery time, Ukyo could spam mids and win every possible trade or swords in the game just by walking forward, Ukyo sword is so fast even air bone that negates jumps, and he has a projectile good enough to zone ppl with it.

Ninja Master's Hao Ninpo-cho

Ranmaru Mori
M2dave would surely love this character, she has a very big disjointed hitbox sword which will anti-airs anyone who jumps over her zoning game, she is a zoning master in many ways, she also has a weaponless stance where she has a dp motion move and use her clothes to slash in anyone much closer where the sword cannot hit, has a supper that trains life, a projectile desperaction move that wins trades with projectiles, has a command grab to anyone blocking her pressure game and she can do infinites.

Tekken 6
Vanilla Bob
(Fill me in TYM)

Street Fighter 4
Cammy
Hahaha, you think this is a game? Imagine a Cammy that could do cannon spikes with no air restriction just like the ones she does when using meter, now imagine she jumping you to apply pressure and the easiest stun in the game.

MK9
Kuh Bawl
needs explanation?

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
Masked Man
This character has the best justu in the game, the move itself is a substition techinique which is an universal mechanic that everyone uses at the cost of a kawarimi meter to escape combos, however, the jutsu of this chaacter (Kanade moyi) has invincibility frames while attacking, so he gets to phase right through you with explosive tags dealing enough damage while leaving his kawarimi meter intact

Budokai Tenkaichi 3
A-17
While every other character even sayans had to fight to build Ki, on a game so competitive where the first one to build Ki in front of the opponent has 98% chances of getting Killed, the androids are built on a mechanic different from the rest, they build ki on their own even when idling, besides A-17 has some stupid moves which requires an impecable time to desappear in between them, such has is bodyblow move, he is also damn broken in Raging Blast 2.

Pretty sure there is definitely more, feel free to add anyone that is not on this list yet.

Also i would like to know about ST Akuma, heard some really nasty things from him. Akuma Matata bruh!
Maskman jutsu is broken on Generation not s3 even tho it did happened but they nerf that shit so it apply to storm generation not storm 3.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
@Eddy Wang @Slips Are there any videos showcasing Tekken 4 Jin's OPness? I remember thinking h was super good back when I played it but I wasn't into competitive fighters back then so never really went all that in depth with Tekken 4 but he's a character that used a lot to compare super dumb shit.

Just wondered if anyone ever did a breakdown of him somewhere.
T4 I think was before YouTube so I don't think there is one. But pretty much Jin had the silliest offense in the game with some of the silliest defenses options in the game too with his parry.

He had the best low in the game, best mid, and his mid had a an unblockable at the end you had to guess if he was going to do or not. It was all especially stupid considering most characters in the game had shite offense.

MK9

Noob
This is not even a discussion, it was mk2 revision 1.1 subzero. Most of you are just to young to have seen it. One move unblock able kill.

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
MKX Summoner Quan Chi - that is totally bullshit !!!

I've never seen so unfair and braindead character in fighting games. Oh wait.....

......Cyrax MK9

d3v

SRK
Cammy in vanilla sf4 was awesome and had potential but Akuma, Seth, Sagat, Rufus and Ryu were still gonna be better. There was also Fei and Gen who were also better but only got explored after vanilla died.
Vanilla Sagat is overrated by most people.

General consensus is that, had we stuck to Vanilla SFIV, the game would have been run by Akuma, Gen and Cammy.
Gill in SF3 is only available in console versions, so this wasn't a legit ban in the scene for a while, but when he was finally selectable, it was obvious he had all of his boss abilities. He wasn't toned down for player use. He ranks number 1 in pretty much every metric you can measure in Third Strike, and his banning isn't debatable.
Gill's ban doesn't matter since he isn't available in the tournament standard for the game, which is arcade (revision A to be precise).

It's like EX character ban in GGXX.

Last edited: