What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

I played a long set with a friend of mine who plays Liu Kang today, and got punished for landing a successful telekick on him. Maybe I hit him at an odd height or something, but I ate an uppercut to the face for making a good read. He just laughed at how ridiculous it was. I don't get why she's not at frame advantage for making a correct read with a move that's easily launched on block, and I REALLY don't get why it's so negative even on hit.
^This is one major issue so far that I haven't seen talked about much yet. I know the EN Telekick gives a free combo this time around, but you're right. It seems wrong that if you read a projectile, you are forced into a dangerous position. Or worse, combo punished.

A move like this NEEDS to be advantage, imo. I understand if they didn't want to give her a free safe jump like in MK9, but she should still be able to pressure with offense.

I think ethereal could be really good as a tool to evade alot of special attacks, midscreen to full, if you can react in time. You should have slight advantage over their wiffed special, enough to throw a combo out, or block string if thats all you get, then fade away again.

Id like her to be more of a rushdown character, but i think shes great at baiting and punishing mistakes. Condition your opponent to do what you want them too. The sais are great for getting jump ins or teleports. I also like to use low sai sometimes after i knock them down, ill ex it (a little wasteful, i know) , but you get a little more space and a bit of damage.

I agree with her needing some tweaking, but as she stands, i think shes a pretty solid character. I think her game is counter and punish.

Im a new mileena player, but im sold. I remember how much she pissed me off in mk9.

I hear ya. Since the variation system was introduced I was really excited coz I was sure Mileena would get a stun special for a free hit (kinda like Scorpion's demon). I always thought they'd give her a move where she'd throw her sais on the opponent's feet to stab them on the ground (ala MK9 2nd fatality) and the variations would be a perfect excuse to do that. It'd make so much sense and it would benefit her Ethereal soooo much! What a shame
That sounds like an awesome idea! Stabbing them to ground with a low hitting sai, it could use the same animation as the ethereal tele but instead she throws a sai at their feet to pin them down for a combo, but of course the frames would be different so that it's not broken. And if her tele-kick became an overhead in this variation she essentially would be inferno Scorpion 2.0. I never understood why Scorpion could summon demons now... I mean how is a servant suppose to summon stuff? Mileena's version of the inferno playstyle makes more sense. And with those added bonuses to ethereal I think being able to be throwed is justified. However the meter burn tele should make her tele startup quicker and/or throw invulnerable.

why does mileena & kung jin have a normal with the same animation yet kung's a overhead and mileena's mid :/ #the32frameoverheadstruggle
#32framesofstruggle
I think ethereal could be really good as a tool to evade alot of special attacks, midscreen to full, if you can react in time. You should have slight advantage over their wiffed special, enough to throw a combo out, or block string if thats all you get, then fade away again.

Id like her to be more of a rushdown character, but i think shes great at baiting and punishing mistakes. Condition your opponent to do what you want them too. The sais are great for getting jump ins or teleports. I also like to use low sai sometimes after i knock them down, ill ex it (a little wasteful, i know) , but you get a little more space and a bit of damage.

I agree with her needing some tweaking, but as she stands, i think shes a pretty solid character. I think her game is counter and punish.

Im a new mileena player, but im sold. I remember how much she pissed me off in mk9.
Yeah I've been winning matches by doing B12 as a punish to most blocked strings but even so, I feel it's only a matter of time before she NEEDS an option of mixing people up. I'll admit, despite being slow enough to be blocked on reaction, I've won some games by hitting opponent's low on wakeup with F44 and when I know I've conditioned them enough, I'll throw out her F3. Again, it's blockable on reaction and so slow the opponent can stand and at least n1 her out of it but I admit I do still use it. AFAIK, it's one of the only two ways to combo her X-Ray when you need unbreakable damage and F343 has a better chance of hitting than B3.

I can see her being a punish character with B12 having good range and being fast (in Piercing at least), roll being a viable AA that leads to damage, and being able to convert into BnB off air normals (even if you don't cancel into Sai, I think you can still ball for a follow up) and air Sais. But when we meet an opponent that knows this and stays on the ground (or is Sonya) and keeps their strings safe (like Sonya <_<) we need a way to go on the offensive and get some damage.

I actually was practicing Liu and I now want to see if Mileena has any combos utilizing run but so far Throat Piercing still doesnt lead to a mixup.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I actually was practicing Liu and I now want to see if Mileena has any combos utilizing run but so far Throat Piercing still doesnt lead to a mixup.
Well, the only practical run combo I can think of atm is
f343~tele~sai, rc~f23~roll, ender.

And when I say practical, I mean it starts with f3
:DOGE

EDIT: starter~EXTele~sai, rc~f23~roll, ender. Uses 1 bar, not worth it.

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
Well, the only practical run combo I can think of atm is
f343~tele~sai, rc~f23~roll, ender.

And when I say practical, I mean it starts with f3
:DOGE

EDIT: starter~EXTele~sai, rc~f23~roll, ender. Uses 1 bar, not worth it.

lol, which indicates it's not practical but a nice combo.

I need to actually sit down and practice for like a good couple of hours like I used to in FGs. I find myself thinking stuff is gonna work exactly the same and end up missing my enders which is where all the damage is. For example, I kept thinking EX ball places you in the same position as ball but it actually has a bit more space inbetween you and the opponent. You can just walk forward before njP but I forget and mess up or I forward jump instead by accident.

Also I was wrong, AFAIK she cant confirm off a raw air-to-air Sai hit. She seems to either have more recovery or using a normal first puts them at a higher height allowing you to link roll.

Also I was wrong, AFAIK she cant confirm off a raw air-to-air Sai hit. She seems to either have more recovery or using a normal first puts them at a higher height allowing you to link roll.
Hmm... I thought I was messing up the inputs or something. So air sai got nerfed somehow too?
I'll admit to needing to learn the game more in depth, since it's nothing like MK9... but this isn't a good sign.

Hmm... I thought I was messing up the inputs or something. So air sai got nerfed somehow too?
I'll admit to needing to learn the game more in depth, since it's nothing like MK9... but this isn't a good sign.
Nerfed from MK9? I wouldn't know. Although I re-bought MK9 last year, I haven't had any interest in playing Mileena until MKX (love her model and story). But yeah, I thought I had did raw Air Sai to ball before when playing against my friend but when I went to practice, I notice the game doesn't let me roll when I hit the ground as if there's extra landing recovery.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Cassie's a real pain in the arse to fight, same with Dvorah.

I got Piercing in the back, but will try Ethereal, (tried Ravenous yesterday) tonight. Will let everyone know how it goes, game plan is to play lame keep away because once either of them get in it's a real pain to get them back out. Anybody share any past experiences against those two?

Feel some of you guys who are struggling, but keep your head up. Mained her since MK:II no chance in hell, that's changing.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Cassie's a real pain in the arse to fight, same with Dvorah.

I got Piercing in the back, but will try Ethereal, (tried Ravenous yesterday) tonight. Will let everyone know how it goes, game plan is to play lame keep away because once either of them get in it's a real pain to get them back out. Anybody share any past experiences against those two?

Feel some of you guys who are struggling, but keep your head up. Mained her since MK:II no chance in hell, that's changing.
D'Vorah is painful, feels like all of her footsie tools outrange Mileena in Ethereal (not sure in Piercing with B12). In Ethereal I feel it is best to play lame and zone, also ending combos with B221+3 for knockdown and also create space to still keep away

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
That's her best option you think? I was thinking perhaps F14 into away fade.
Yeah F14 fade away is good as well. I stated the other one if you wanted more damage but in playing super lame F14 will probably be better. However, if D'Vorah has no meter and you are feeling brave you can do F14 Fade towards and attempt a mixup before running away again.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I've gotten around 400 online games with her in now, and I've come to one solid conclusion, if someone plays you for 3-4 games, they will realize you are trying to get them to block low with law sais and f44 to condition them for f3.

Any of the pretty decent players are starting to use the option select out of block to jab out or special out so f3 is becoming worse and worse as more tech evolves.
b21 into roll works sometimes, but seriously once they start just blocking low I try to tick throw and people just body me with ex+special into full combo or I sit back watching everyone jump in on me bc my d2 is rubbish.

She is very fun to play, but has a hard time punish people when roll is not fast enough and even if you want to play the footsies game with her, half the cast will out footsies you or just throw out normals that are WAY better than hers.

Unfortunately, I do not believe she will be very good as the game progresses and more option select tech comes out.

Nerfed from MK9? I wouldn't know. Although I re-bought MK9 last year, I haven't had any interest in playing Mileena until MKX (love her model and story). But yeah, I thought I had did raw Air Sai to ball before when playing against my friend but when I went to practice, I notice the game doesn't let me roll when I hit the ground as if there's extra landing recovery.
Yeah in MK9 air sai would give you ball into combo. In this game it's weird since using air sai mid combo allows you to do it, but not starting with air sai.
You think maybe a run cancel will give you time to link something?

Also, I think they removed the shortcut for instant air sai that existed in MK9. The move exists, just harder to do now.

Rapid99

Resident Mileena Researcher
Greetings again guys.

I have begun putting together a short series of videos going over a simple combo building process with Mileena.

Hopefully this will give new players who don't know where to begin when picking up Mileena a good reference point to start from. Hopefully some of the more experienced players here can help build on the basics I go over and really help everyone old and new alike improve with our lovable ol' butterface.

The videos for Piercing and Ravenous basics are almost ready but for now here's the first video going over some of the simple strings that I'll be using in the series - for anyone that's interested.

Once both videos are done processing etc. I'll be doing a write-up with some general information on Mileena's strengths and weaknesses so if you guys have anything in particular you think is essential knowledge when picking up Mileena - let me know and I'll add it to the write up.

Cheeers again guys - updating with the Piercing and Ravenous videos soon.

Hopefully...

Assuming my internet doesn't crap out again

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Alright reporting in, tested some Ethereal against Hollywood Cassie, while I lost the games definitely closer and felt more comfortable than Ravenous.

Sadly, where the somewhat good news ends, he switched to Spec Ops, while the EX Lock On and fade where funny got my ass kicked. Not sure if it's lack of variation knowledge for Spec Ops but it felt like a tougher match up than Hollywood.

Glaga

Professional Lurker
Greetings again guys.

I have begun putting together a short series of videos going over a simple combo building process with Mileena.

Hopefully this will give new players who don't know where to begin when picking up Mileena a good reference point to start from. Hopefully some of the more experienced players here can help build on the basics I go over and really help everyone old and new alike improve with our lovable ol' butterface.

The videos for Piercing and Ravenous basics are almost ready but for now here's the first video going over some of the simple strings that I'll be using in the series - for anyone that's interested.

Once both videos are done processing etc. I'll be doing a write-up with some general information on Mileena's strengths and weaknesses so if you guys have anything in particular you think is essential knowledge when picking up Mileena - let me know and I'll add it to the write up.

Cheeers again guys - updating with the Piercing and Ravenous videos soon.

Hopefully...

Assuming my internet doesn't crap out again
A little off topic, but one thing that I always wanted to say during my times of being a professional lurker is that I REALLY like the way you write in forums. I find myself either being too wordy or having nothing to say.You seem say just the right amount.

Anyway, awesome video! There wasn't really anything worth complaining about that I saw. You were quick with what you needed to say but not so quick that everything flies over our heads (some people saying combo strings just sounds like a mesh of letters and numbers after a while). It's also very inspiring and makes me think about making a video myself.

Now, some stuff that is not for this video but for any future videos you might make:
You might know this by now, but these comments are based on a list of combos you made on the combo thread a while back. The biggest one is you said that the b12, 1+3, dd2 string deals more damage than b21, 2+4 therefore you always end with the former. That may be true when you use them by themselves, but the damage decay affects 1+3, dd2 while the 2+4's stabs all stay at 1% (I think many notices that the 2+4 deals more damage, but no one ever pointed out that the stabs don't decay). Like I said, you probably know that by now, but just making sure.

Also, one combo that you had in your list stated:
Overhead Start
NJP, TK, AS, f23, BR, b12, 1+3, dd2

If you start off the NJP on a grounded opponent (as in not in the air), you can actually throw a b3 in there like so:

NJP, walk, b3 xx TK xx AS, f23 xx BR, b12, 1+3, dd2

That's actually one thing I would like to discuss. How practical is it to attempt to OH NJP someone in the middle of the screen? Is it worth it? Only when they're knocked down? Only in the corner? Never?
In piercing variation, I've been swapping f23 with b12 as they deal the same damage and the b12 comes out quicker so it's a little easier. However, in situations where I only use f2, it'll land where b1 will not since f2 has more range (like in the upcoming example).

Now, if we were to use NJP as an AA, I'd use the following:

NJP, jumpkick xx TK xx AS, f2 xx BR, b12, 1+3, dd2

As we discussed, the b21, 2+4 ender deals more damage, but in these scenarios, b12, 1+3, dd2 is a LOT more reliable to land.

Looking forward to your future posts and good luck on your next video! Hope I helped! :cool:

Last edited:

Rapid99

Resident Mileena Researcher
A little off topic, but one thing that I always wanted to say during my times of being a professional lurker is that I REALLY like the way you write in forums. I find myself either being too wordy or having nothing to say.You seem say just the right amount.

Anyway, awesome video! There wasn't really anything worth complaining about that I saw. You were quick with what you needed to say but not so quick that everything flies over our heads (some people saying combo strings just sounds like a mesh of letters and numbers after a while). It's also very inspiring and makes me think about making a video myself.

Now, some stuff that is not for this video but for any future videos you might make:
You might know this by now, but these comments are based on a list of combos you made on the combo thread a while back. The biggest one is you said that the b12, 1+3, dd2 string deals more damage than b21, 2+4 therefore you always end with the former. That may be true when you use them by themselves, but the damage decay affects 1+3, dd2 while the 2+4's stabs all stay at 1% (I think many notices that the 2+4 deals more damage, but no one ever pointed out that the stabs don't decay). Like I said, you probably know that by now, but just making sure.

Also, one combo that you had in your list stated:
Overhead Start
NJP, TK, AS, f23, BR, b12, 1+3, dd2

If you start off the NJP on a grounded opponent (as in not in the air), you can actually throw a b3 in there like so:

NJP, walk, b3 xx TK xx AS, f23 xx BR, b12, 1+3, dd2

At least in piercing variation, I've been swapping f23 with b12 as they deal the same damage and the b12 comes out quicker so it's a little easier. However, in situations where I only use f2, it'll land where b1 will not since f2 has more range (like in the upcoming example).

Now, if we were to use NJP as an AA, I'd use the following:

NJP, jumpkick xx TK xx AS, f2 xx BR, b12, 1+3, dd2

As we discussed, the b21, 2+4 ender deals more damage, but in these scenarios, b12, 1+3, dd2 is a LOT more reliable to land.

Looking forward to your future posts and good luck on your next video! Hope I helped! :cool:
Thanks a lot.

Honestly if even one player gets something out of the info I bring to the table then I'm glad, my knowledge is mostly pieced together with a mixture of way too much time in practice mode and stuff integrated from players here so it's kind of a group effort already.

Nice catch on the b12, 1+3, dd2 vs b21, 2+4 by the way, I have been meaning to make an off-hand comment about this at some stage but I never got around to it. The long story short is that for a while I was testing on a mix of patched and un-patched machines. When playing an un-patched MKX the hit scaling on the b12, 1+3, dd2 is really strong, similar to how the b21, 2+4 combo is behaving in the current patch.

I go over this a little in my Piercing video but mostly I only find myself using b12, 1+3, dd2 if I am dealing with meterless bnb combos started from common strings - in which I sometimes do not mind trading the extra distance it leaves me from the opponent for an extra 3-4% damage. In any combo of a decent length it is exactly as you say: b21, 2+4 starts doing crazy work.

As I am completely working with up-to-date games now I've pretty much 100% changed my combos accordingly, though I was a bit sad at the Ravenous b12, 1+3, uu2 combo damage scaling nerf because while hard to land in longer combos - that thing used to bring some wicked damage.

Also, you're the meterless Piercing corner combo vid fellow aren't you?

I have to say nice work on those two vids - those two combos altered how I was approaching meterless combos from launching starters in the corner when I was 90% convinced there was nowhere else to go from what I had, kudos.

EDIT: I was having a quick think about OH NJP mid-screen.

On adding the b3 after the NJP mid-screen, this is actually pretty funny. The reason I ommit the b3 so often is basically muscle memory. Since adding the b3 before the TK causes the xxAS to miss when you're opponent is either in or super-close to the corner I find myself omitting the b3 mid-screen as well.

On OH NJP as a useful tool mid-screen?

Honestly I feel that jiP and NJP are quite useful tools for Mileena in particular.

Because her meterless mix-up is so weak I find it's useful to throw some jump-ins on opponents who like to perma-crouch to force them to stand up every now and then.

NJP not only leads to better meterless damage than your standard jiP (unless you jiP to b3 but that is impossible to hit confirm) but I find it tends to for want of a better description "bop" more wake-ups than other characters NJPs.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is because Mileena does her fancy-pants mid-air splits and actually lifts her character model ABOVE where her arms swing - but that's just a theory for now.

Last edited:
I can definitely confirm raw air Sai does not confirm into combos. The only way you'll ever get a combo off it is in the corner, spaced far enough so that the Sai has time to travel and the opponent is a bit higher than Mileena. All I've been able to hit afterwards is B1 (fastest normal). Didn't even bother trying to find an optimal combo for such a impractical confirm. Oddly, ball wouldn't come out fast enough to hit. It may just be that I was timing the Sai wrong but it seemed like she regained access to her normals before she could input specials. Probably the former.

It's worth noting tho, that recovery doesn't apply to air EX Sai. After air EX Sai, whiff or hit, Mileena is free to roll almost as soon she touches the ground it seems. If burning a meter wasn't enough, this also brings with it the problem of having two air Sais before she lands. So if the opponent only gets hit by the first one, she still can't combo off it. If both do land, you can roll if close enough or run and connect at LEAST a B1. Haven't tried anything else. B12 connects but the opponent is too high for roll afterwards. Also just a tidbit, the second comes out a bit lower than the first.

As for IAS, I can't do it consistently to hit standing opponents but it's possible with a U,UF,B,F motion. The game seems to hate motions inbetween the motions for projectiles (Ball roll can be done with a full HCF and I think SubZ's slide could be done with one as well).
What does Ethereal have going for it? Ever since the variation stream I wondered why a teleport variation would be in a game with a block button so I havent even tried it.

Last edited: