What's new

Guide The Last Czarnian: Lobo Character Guide

BGMD

Noob
Lobo noob here (I get a hard time against the scrubs and lose to people I would obviously destroy with other characters). I was struggling to B2U1, 113~Czar Toss. I find 12 to be wayyy better to use. Is there an advantage with using 113 mid combo over 12?

What do I do when people put on a boat load of pressure (like batman doing his amazing Rushdown) , or I'm in a air to air situation. J2 is really slow and it's tough to get a cross up with Lobo when everyone is jumping around.
if you're doing 113 toss, just input everything at once... 12 is fine too, but 113 is a bit more damaging

try to avoid jump to jump, standing 3 is good anti-air to keep people in check from jumping at you and can be confirmed into hook charge
also after recent d2 buff, Lobo's uppercut is also much better now (it was good before), and you can follow up with b2u1 for 36-40% (depends if trait is loaded)... not bad scaling for d2 combo
Batman matchup I find much more manageable thanks to this

personally I don't have that much problem with Batman's pressure in neutral since he has no starting overhead, and f3 you can react too... on knockdown you just have to guess with lack of good wakeup... I imagine Nightwing and Flash being much worse in that respect
only problem for me is when it comes down to the wire, he always has more meter since Lobo kinda sucks when it comes to building it

if you're doing 113 toss, just input everything at once... 12 is fine too, but 113 is a bit more damaging

try to avoid jump to jump, standing 3 is good anti-air to keep people in check from jumping at you and can be confirmed into hook charge
also after recent d2 buff, Lobo's uppercut is also much better now (it was good before), and you can follow up with b2u1 for 36-40% (depends if trait is loaded)... not bad scaling for d2 combo
Batman matchup I find much more manageable thanks to this

personally I don't have that much problem with Batman's pressure in neutral since he has no starting overhead, and f3 you can react too... on knockdown you just have to guess with lack of good wakeup... I imagine Nightwing and Flash being much worse in that respect
only problem for me is when it comes down to the wire, he always has more meter since Lobo kinda sucks when it comes to building it
What should my main punish be? I dont know what moves I can use to punish people with. So far I'm only using 2,1 hook charge.

BGMD

Noob
Ann, a sting I really don't like using =(. Just gotta practice 113~ Czar Toss. Any other good punishers?
well, since i find it easier to confirm toss after 113, I guess you can go for 12... I don't use it but I can imagine 2 whiffing in some scenarios (if not totally up close)

BGMD

Noob
It's cool man, anything else I need to know with lobo so I don't lose to noobs?
well, I wish if it was that simple, Lobo requires a lot of work and most importantly patience
it's too easy to zone him since he has no long range options, so you'll have to work your way in, either by dash blocking, or walking
I don't play online, but I can imagine that online environment doesn't favor him in both getting in part and execution wise
gather information about toss confirmable blockstrings, safe strings etc.
if you have specific questions ask, I'm also sure there are more knowledgeable Lobo mains than me who will answer you

12 whiffs from really close (not super duper up close) from time to time. Also, if you want to attempt to air-to-air someone, Jump 1 is the way to go. It's really good, seriously. A tip to help with cancelling out of 113 is to input your special of choice before he hits them with his hook-hand.

So inputting 113 xx Czar Toss would be like 113(wait for 3 to come out) DB F+2. A side note, you can make the input of Czar Toss easier on yourself if you input it as DB, delay, F+2 (or downback, delay, forward 2).

For on the fly whiff-punishes, I tend to go for either 3 xx Hook Charge into oki shenanigans, or 3 xx Low Hook to leave them closer to me/switch sides.

oh, and from D2, you can go into my setup with B12 xx MB Hook Charge into ambiguous setup, or BGMD 's reset with [bnb of choice here], Back 3, Empty jump behind the opponent, Meaty Czar Toss to reset the damage and do around 60% - 70%

Lobo noob here (I get a hard time against the scrubs and lose to people I would obviously destroy with other characters). I was struggling to B2U1, 113~Czar Toss. I find 12 to be wayyy better to use. Is there an advantage with using 113 mid combo over 12?

What do I do when people put on a boat load of pressure (like batman doing his amazing Rushdown) , or I'm in a air to air situation. J2 is really slow and it's tough to get a cross up with Lobo when everyone is jumping around.
113 is more damage, and it just takes some practice to land I guess. On air-to-airs, you probably shouldn't jump around as much since the d2 anti-air buffs. Lobo just has to play really careful, and remember you still have the best forward dash in the game. If you're playing online, I can almost guarantee no one will expect a forward dash into command grab from half screen.

Ansumana

Noob
It's cool man, anything else I need to know with lobo so I don't lose to noobs?

Some basic things that I think help against noobs to get you started:

Standing 3 is your best friend. Pretty fast, sweeps at a decent range in front and above. If it anti-airs you can combo on reaction with Hook Charge or Shotgun. Not huge damage but keeps them from jumping around everywhere and starts to get them to plant their feet.

Air to air - you're better off with j1. j2 has a better hit box, cross-up potential, and hit stun for follow up, but j1 is better to trade.

If you Hook Charge and the chain hits their block, you can still MB it if you're fast enough which will make it safe and keep you from being punished. Also a good way to end a combo you started which is going to be unsafe/punished. Try not to use Hook Charge to close distance/move.

Another good way to avoid being punished at the end of a blocked/whiffed combo is MB shotgun shot. It's pretty safe, chips really well, and pushes them back to that ideal middle range.

Lobo's floaty jump can get him in trouble up close, but it seems to be designed that way to help him avoid projectiles and get in on his opponent. Practice how to jump over projectiles and Party Crash to minimize your vulnerable time in the air while closing distance. Everyone knows that Lobo is terrible at full screen, so you'll get a lot of noobs trying to fireball spam from range. Dash roll is also designed for this, but you should try mixing between the two to keep them guessing.

Last thing I'll say for anti-noob fights, play fast. Lobo has some pretty fancy and hard hitting combos that people post up on YouTube, but most of the time they're pretty tight links or require some pretty specific set-ups. I think the worst thing that happens to first time Lobo players is they'll spend a lot of time mastering those 45-52% combos in the training room and then just frustrate themselves waiting to pull them off in a match.
Lobo does a decent amount of damage with just specials and parts of combos. Play fast to keep them off balance, know how to close distance with Party Crash and the dash roll, but also learn how to keep them off you with standing 3 and shotguns. You want them midrange, where you can alternate fishing with the relatively safe low hook, and Czar throwing them (f3 is also a pretty good option once you know that space and have trained them to down block). Oki mind games once you've knocked them down.
Play fast until you've slowed them down, forced them to think with tick standing 3 shots and surprisingly damaging short combos/specials. Then, you go for those big fancier combos and finish the fight.

Well, hopefully some of that rambling helps out. Good luck out there.

I have no problems with Lobo offline, he's pretty good in a lag free environment if used correctly. While online, I want to kick my TV, and throw my PS3, controller, even my rarely used mic out the window.

Getting MB Czar toss into B3 consistantly is damn near impossible with that terrible net code.

Ansumana

Noob
I have no problems with Lobo offline, he's pretty good in a lag free environment if used correctly. While online, I want to kick my TV, and throw my PS3, controller, even my rarely used mic out the window.

Getting MB Czar toss into B3 consistantly is damn near impossible with that terrible net code.

Yeah, offline play vs. online play can be very different for some of the cast...and especially Lobo. Toss into B3, D1 into Toss, even basic 113 into Toss can be tough/just not register.

My only advice is to have a few safe alternatives in your bag of tricks. ex. MB Toss ~~b2u1~~12 1+3 may not be a sexy combo, but the damage is solid, it's consistent/easy to do (no tight links or height issues), and downs the opponent at a great range for a bunch of oki options (meaty toss, J~deep Party Crasher, bait wake-up, down Shotgun, etc).

It's a shame because one of the reasons I got into Lobo as a main was I got that Toss~B3 timing almost innate (which was satisfying), but that didn't seem to matter online. However, I gotta say moving away from that and focusing more on mind games, short damage, and block strings into toss (probably the biggest boon to my game, personally) has actually made me a more competitive player against what I consider to be good players.

Now to work on my Shotgun/MB Shotgun pressure...

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
I think the worst thing that happens to first time Lobo players is they'll spend a lot of time mastering those 45-52% combos in the training room and then just frustrate themselves waiting to pull them off in a match.
This was me when I first started.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Are you still updating this?
Yea I just haven't really had time to get on the forums or PS3 cause of my new job, though training week is almost over. So once I learn my work schedule I can make a thread about it on TYM to notify you guys of when I'll be on, I thank all those who are being patient with me.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Yea I just haven't really had time to get on the forums or PS3 cause of my new job, though training week is almost over. So once I learn my work schedule I can make a thread about it on TYM to notify you guys of when I'll be on, I thank all those who are being patient with me.
Red, I have my guide on SRK's wiki. Feel free to use anything that may help you, man.

Yashiro Aniki

Aniki of Steel
).

For on the fly whiff-punishes, I tend to go for either 3 xx Hook Charge into oki shenanigans, or 3 xx Low Hook to leave them closer to me/switch sides.

oh, and from D2, you can go into my setup with B12 xx MB Hook Charge into ambiguous setup, or BGMD 's reset with [bnb of choice here], Back 3, Empty jump behind the opponent, Meaty Czar Toss to reset the damage and do around 60% - 70%

can you explain to me this 2 part i still cant understand it...
oki shenanigans
Meaty Czar Toss to reset the damage

thank you all for sharing your idea! & nice thread ^^