What's new

Guide The Last Czarnian: Lobo Character Guide

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Years ago on the blissful utopian planet Czarnia, a child was born. Before he even left the delivery room, he was named Lobo. In the language of the Khundian empire it's a name that translates thusly: He who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it.

Hey guy's I thought that I would take all of the tidbits of Lobo's gameplay around the forums, and smash it all together into one definitive guide. The information within the initial post will consist of my experiences combined with information posted from other users, hopefully if newer members decide to pick up Lobo after learning the ropes of Injustice they'll come to this thread first for the most useful information.

Special Moves
Spin Cycle: A decent anti-air grab which can be used to catch jumping opponents. The MB variant increases damage and allows you to select the direction of the toss, making it useful as a combo ender should you be near a corner.

Pump Shot: A mid range projectile which can be fired high, mid, or low. With trait active you can augment the damage of the shots and the low shot acts as a launcher. This move is useful for using on you or your opponents wake-up depending on the situation. Range is barely past Lobo's standing 3, somewhat useful as an anti-air.

Czarnian Toss: This move tosses the opponent in the air and leaves them barely within range of Lobo's Low Space Hook. The MB variant opens up bigger combo possibility making this move essential for higher damage combos.

Space Hook: A mid range chain grab that functions as a useful combo ender and sometimes an anti-air. The MB variant leaves your opponent within range of a Czarnian Toss or Low Space Hook placing you within Lobo’s sweet spot. You also gain the ability to chose the direction you want your opponent to land.

Low Space Hook: Slightly longer range than Lobo’s Space Hook, this move functions well as a mix-up and can be used as a combo ender, The MB variant increases damage.

Hook Charge: A fast special which can cover distance between you and your opponent or function as a combo ender. Don't throw this move out recklessly as the meter is taken before the armor is given allowing your opponent to stuff it if they react in time.

Strings
112: A decent string which can combo into most of Lobo’s special moves, slightly lower damage than 113 making this string rarely used.

113: A string with good damage but poor range, great combo starter if you can hit confirm. Normally to be used mid combo and cancelled into special moves.

12 1+3: The first two hits of this string are usually used mid combo and cancelled into special moves, however the full string is useful if you’re going for meterless combos enders.

B12 1+3: A useful string for mix-ups, the first hit can be cancelled into a Czarnian Toss though execution is difficult. You can opt for trait after the 2 or cancel into a MB Hook Charge as an ambiguous cross up. Advantageous on block.

213: A dangerous string that can be used as a combo starter. Most opponents are unaware the second hit is an overhead, from touching distance to mid range you should cancel into a low Pump Shot, any further and the low Space Hook is a good choice.

B2U1: Your main combo starter, the initial hit overhead is slow but if you can land it, it’s very useful as this links into Lobo’s higher damage combos. Should this string be blocked cancel into a low Pump Shot or Space Hook.

F213: A decent damaging string which functions well as a combo ender, cancel into a low Pump Shot if your opponent blocks the first two hits.

F23: A slow starting string useful as a mix-up.

Gameplay Strategy
Lobo is a character that thrives in mid range combat. He has nothing going for him at range and some characters have a better advantage in close quarters. Lobo’s Okizeme game is strong and his mix-ups are nothing to scoff at. The ideal range to be with Lobo is slightly closer than the reach of his low Space Hook or just past his standing 3. With Lobo it is imperative to condition your opponent too expect certain moves on their wake-up, then do the opposite of what they’re expecting.

Example: If you initially knockdown a Sinestro player say 2-3 times and you get caught with an Arachnid Sting, then go for an armored F3 or back-up then catch them with a low Space Hook.

The armor F3 is very useful on wakeup if you find yourself closer than you’d like to be on your opponents wake-up just be cautious when using it, as well as how often. It can be comboed into with a Ji2 into 113xxCzarnian Toss then end how you’d like. Ideally you’ll want to be ending your combos with a Hook Charge, Low Space Hook, or MB Space Hook as these all place you in Lobo’s sweet spot, which is where you want to be.

So then, the name of the game is mid range zoning with an emphasis on footsies, You have to control this finite amount of space between you and your opponent and can’t allow yourself to get zoned out by other characters. Because you’re so close to your opponent you need to be able to react within an instant and punish off of any oppourtunity, Lobo’s combos tend to be higher execution compared to most of the cast meaning if you get an opening take it otherwise your opponent will punish you for it.

IMPORTANT: While Lobo is a relatively high damage character, combos should not be the main priority, you'll need to give up damage in most situations for practicality and safeness. However, once the match is in your favor don't be afraid to go for your high damage options. Just remember that mix-ups are everything with this character.

Trait
Lobo's trait is relatively simple, it loads a nuclear shell into his shotgun increasing the damage of all shotgun based attacks. In certain instances the nuclear shell will change the properties of certain attacks. Lobo's low Pump Shot acts as a launcher, and his F23 string splats the opponent, making that string useful for certain set-ups. Trait gives Lobo safe 50/50's as well, so trait up as soon as you can. Trait is good to have but against more aggressive players you may having trouble accessing it unless you combo into it. Nevertheless, opt for trait whenever possible the slight extra damage may mean the difference between a win or loss.

BnB Combos
B2U1, 113, DB3- 32%
B2U1, D2, B2U1, 12 1+3-(Hard to time online) 33%
21xxDF1D, 21xxBF3-(Must have trait) 27%
B2U1, 113, DBF2(MB), 21xxBF3- 43%
B12xxBounce Cancel B3, Ji2, 21xxBF3- 36%
Ji2, 113, DBF2(MB), B3, Ji2, 213-(Trait increases damage) 42%/46% w/Trait
B2U1, 113, DBF2(MB), B2U1xxDB1- 46%
B2U1, 3xxDBF2(MB), B3, Ji2, 21xxDB3- 49%
113,113, DBF2(MB), B2U1xxDB1-(Corner Combo) 45%
21xxDF1D, 113, DBF2(MB), B2U1xxDB1-(Corner Combo w/Trait) 42%

(Note most of these are my personal preference, however some are taken from the Lobo Living Combo Thread. Certain combos can be ended based on your preference, all MB highlights are mandatory. However, you can opt for MB enders for more damage.)

Command Grab Frame Traps
All of the following strings can be cancelled into a Czarnian Toss if blocked...
12, 21, D1, B2U1

Safe Block Strings
All of the following strings leave you at a frame advantage if blocked...
11, 113, 12, B12, F213

Recommended Viewing

Footage Courtesy of PND_Ketchup

(Misc. notes courtesy of Wildoom Hook chain becomes almost safe at -6 if you whiff the first hit. He has a safe jump after MB Czar toss, after the ground bounce dash under the character as late as possible then jump forward and a do a J.3 really late. It hits real deep on block or hit. If the opponent does a wake up move they go the other way and half the time you can reel them back with low chain. He has a mini vortex with his low chain. After one low chain you can follow up with another low chain that catches backdashes and people just not blocking low. MB High Chain if you think they will jump (Some characters can jump right through like batman, I use a jump 2 on these characters instead) Czar toss if you think they're gonna just sit there blocking low. D1 jump back instant dive bomb usually dodges other characters pokes D1 spaces out a lot of characters for a counter hit B1)

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Reserved

Members, guide is still in progress. Please feel free to add suggestions or changes to certain descriptions so far such as damage, frame data, etc. I will still need to add in combos and other information vital to Lobo's game, any knowledge I have omitted thus far will either be included within the OP or added to the thread.

Gobblerr

Noob
Great job with the guide. I can't wait until it's done. It's nice having everything you need to know about a character, all in one thread and in the OP.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Good for beginners might want to link I think that beginner Lobo video that I think pnd mustard made.
That's my goal, however I plan on adding an advanced section in my reserved spot covering match-ups against S tier characters. As well as a guide to get around Zoning.

Gobblerr

Noob
In the BnB section, I think you made a mistake on the damage percent on this combo:

21xxDF1D, 21xxBF3-(Must have trait) 37%

I'm pretty sure it's around 27%. Not 37%.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Just a little bit of cool tech with 2,1 if you can condition your opponent.

2,1 mind game:

None of this is guaranteed, it's just another tool for you to use.
When the opponent is conditioned to respect the 2,1 string, Lobo can start an interesting mind game using nuclear low shot.

2,1 as you all know, is a really solid tick throw, and tick throws at the max range of his chain during that string. This becomes slightly harder to tick throw from range though, as the chance of the opponent pressing a button and getting hit is much higher, in my experience. Which of course makes the throw wiff.

Here's the cool thing, once the opponent begins to respect the tick throw, and decides to start jumping after the 2,1 string, you can then start using your nuclear low shot instead of the command grab, which blows up the jump entirely, letting you B1,Grab, or standing 3 into low chain, which gives you meterless damage, and potential grab mixup/knockdown. This guessing game applies to all ranges of the 2,1 string, but the nuclear low followups become more limited the further the opponent is from you.

It's a nicer means to land your 2,1 mixup up close, which is why conditioning the opponent is really important. Due to the frame advantage of b1,2. Land a B1,2 on block, and throw a 2,1 into low nuclear shot. It's a really cool mixup that's just one thing you can do after a blocked B1,2. Every Lobo should start abusing it!

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM

2,1 mind game:

When the opponent is conditioned to respect the 2,1 string, Lobo can start an interesting mind game using nuclear low shot.

2,1 as you all know, is a really solid tick throw, and tick throws at the max range of his chain during that string. This becomes slightly harder to tick throw from range though, as the chance of the opponent pressing a button and getting hit is much higher, in my experience. Which of course makes the throw wiff.

Here's the cool thing, once the opponent begins to respect the tick throw, and decides to start jumping after the 2,1 string, you can then start using your nuclear low shot instead of the command grab, which blows up the jump entirely, letting you B1,Grab, or standing 3 into low chain, which gives you meterless damage, and potential grab mixup/knockdown. This guessing game applies to all ranges of the 2,1 string, but the nuclear low followups become more limited the further the opponent is from you.

It's a nicer means to land your 2,1 mixup up close, which is why conditioning the opponent is really important. Due to the frame advantage of b1,2. Land a B1,2 on block, and throw a 2,1 into low nuclear shot. It's a really cool mixup that's just one thing you can do after a blocked B1,2. Every Lobo should start abusing it!
Will definitely use this! Also something I've noticed that works, I normally cancel a standing 3 into Hook Charge but most opponents expect this and block. However, canceling into a low chain seems to catch them of guard not really anything major but people seem to not expect it online. If I notice my B2U1 or any other attack is blocked, I immediately cancel into a low pump shot or chain. For some reason people like to let go of block and try to punish you after a string which is why this tends to work. lol

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
In the BnB section, I think you made a mistake on the damage percent on this combo:

21xxDF1D, 21xxBF3-(Must have trait) 37%

I'm pretty sure it's around 27%. Not 37%.
I performed the combos in training mode as I was posting the damage but I'll check again. :D

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
This video was posted in another thread, but I suggest you watch the whole thing. This guy plays through Classic on Very Hard difficulty. Watch how he follows up on his D2's, and he also tries to get the most out of everything he connects. I firmly believe that this is how a good Lobo should be played. The video is also pretty lulzy :D

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!

2,1 mind game:

Can you post some of yours Lobo matches?!?!

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Something I found earlier today, which I'm not sure has been found already, but I'll go ahead and write this up anyway.

F2,1 frametrap:
Lobo's F2,1 string can be special cancelled as you all know, but a pretty cool thing Lobo can do from this string is give himself a small frametrap on hit. This is useful when chasing down an opponents backdash. The f2 wiffs, but against most characters the 1 will connect. Usually I just go for low gunshot, but now I've been messing around with his frametrap, it's a much nicer situation to put the opponent in for potentially more damage..

How this works:

When you land F2,1, special cancel the string into Lobos air grab. It cuts the recovery of the string and instead of being at neutral, which Lobo usually is, Lobo becomes plus on hit. I'm not entirely sure by how much though, It's really hard to tell without having correct frame data, and the fact the frames of the move I need to do the maths aren't on the pause menu.

The thing about this, is that whenever I wiff an air grab by mistake as a missed input, the opponent ALWAYS tries to wiff punish me with a string, which means that when you hit F2,1,airgrab, the opponent will get beat clean by standing 1 if they go for a string. I tested this with mustard using batmans standing 1, which is 6 frames. Lobos 1,1,3 beat it every single time. On top of Lobos B1,2 beating a mashed D1 clean also.

The opponent can backdash to beat your string, which is why it's just another thing with multiple ways out, you can jump in on them with jumping light and it will chase down the backdash, so it's another game of rock/paper/scissors. I guess that's Lobo in a nutshell though haha!

Any thoughts for putting a matchup chart or something in here? The one on the board currently is really dead and would be good to see updated info on matchups.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Any thoughts for putting a matchup chart or something in here? The one on the board currently is really dead and would be good to see updated info on matchups.
Lol we're working on it. check out the previous match-up thread to see our convo, its either there or in the Lobo discussion thread. ;)

You haven't listed any of the strings that are frame traps into his command grab or any of the strings that lead to guaranteed meaty czar tosses

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
You haven't listed any of the strings that are frame traps into his command grab or any of the strings that lead to guaranteed meaty czar tosses
I'm still in the learning process with this whole thing but if you'd be kind enough to provide that information I'll gladly add it to the guide. I started with all the basic information which I thought players should know, like I stated in my second post within the thread. Guide still in progress members feel free to add info...

You should probably list 113 as being a good combo starter and a safe poke. It's safe on block, and if it lands you can do a full confirm off of it.

Lobo noob here (I get a hard time against the scrubs and lose to people I would obviously destroy with other characters). I was struggling to B2U1, 113~Czar Toss. I find 12 to be wayyy better to use. Is there an advantage with using 113 mid combo over 12?

What do I do when people put on a boat load of pressure (like batman doing his amazing Rushdown) , or I'm in a air to air situation. J2 is really slow and it's tough to get a cross up with Lobo when everyone is jumping around.