What's new

The lack of new tech found and information about this game is killing me slowly.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
This happens with every game.

1- Most tournament players will actively hide tech until after EVO.
2- There's still gonna be a handful of stuff that gets discovered over the next two years.
3- Some characters are comparatively underplayed, meaning less lab time for some characters.
4- This early on, tier lists will dictate the most commonly played characters. This is why we avoid tier lists this early into a game.
5- World class players stopped posting on TYM around 2013 due to old drama.
6- A lot of the charismatic faces of the community are no longer active or traveling for tournaments.
7- NRS hired a lot of the tech finding giants and put them under NDA/contracts that prevent them from interacting with the community like they used to.
8- TYM is no longer the home of MK discussion. It is fragmented between a couple forums and dozens of discord channels.
9- The game will significantly change as DLC is released, since DLC often tends to be OP for at least 1 patch (effective sales technique).
10- The apparent corporitization of NRS streaming has killed the formerly hype non-official tournament scene. (hotel matches with pick up commentary)
11- The extreme amount of call outs and shit talking has been eradicated by the puritan element of the community, cutting down on pretty much all the "dead time" hype between tournaments.

I love MK11 so far, but the community dissolves a little bit more with every passing year.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Evo in general is bigger cant assume bigger Evo number = more people interested.
People here claim mk9 had no issues and was the most fun MK yet the tournament numbers back then were weak AF, so whats the reality.
People here claim MK9 had no issues? Wtf?

Not going to touch that one. Let's just talk about the numbers: 1567 people don't enter a game that no one likes -- period. And 1567 don't enter from our own community alone either. So if you see 1500+ people entering our game, you can pretty well assume it has crossover appeal.

There are other games at EVO that didn't break 1500, or even a thousand (Yeah, in this era/time, in 2019), so that argument is completely moot.

Last edited:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

Not going to touch that one. Let's just talk about the numbers: 1567 people don't enter a game that no one likes -- period. And 1567 don't enter from our own community alone either. So if you see 1500+ people entering our game, you can pretty well assume it has crossover appeal.

There are other games at EVO that didn't break 1500, or even a thousand (Yeah, in this era/time, in 2019), so that argument is completely moot.
Anyone that said MK9 didn't have issues never played MK9 and is feeding you bullshit. Considering the game is coming up on a decade old, I'd assume a lot of that is coming from players that were 6-10 in 2011.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Anyone that said MK9 didn't have issues never played MK9 and is feeding you bullshit. Considering the game is coming up on a decade old, I'd assume a lot of that is coming from players that were 6-10 in 2011.
Yeah, exactly -- I've never heard anyone say it. It's pretty much universally agreed by all of us that MK9 had serious issues. He basically just made up a straw man argument for the purposes of trying to push this false agenda about numbers.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

Yeah, exactly -- I've never heard anyone say it. It's pretty much universally agreed by all of us that MK9 had serious issues. He basically just made up a straw man argument for the purposes of trying to push this false agenda about numbers.
Did you ever play the MK9 community patch on PC? It was pretty awesome but only had like 12 players at its peak.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dark Souls 1 PVP was trash. DkS2 was the GOAT.
Just to clarify, Dark Souls 2 PvP was the GOAT. Which I definitely agree with. Dark Souls 1 had variety but there was too much unbalanced or broken stuff in PvP for it to be really taken seriously. Go watch any two actual HIGH LEVEL players in Dark Souls. Hardly any attacking because it was pretty easy to poise stab most of the meta weapons. I mean I love DS1 PvP because it’s fun, dead angles were the most fun part imo. But competitively DS2 PvP is superior. Even DS3 has better PvP than DS1, just way less variety in builds.

i said this after week 1. i haven't played the game but i check in every now and again because while i've never taken NRS games seriously as fighters, mkx was at least funny because of its wacky design elements that no japanese fg dev would dare put in (but that's also the downfall of NRS games because while there's fun stuff there's also a ton of scrubby shit.) so i've still been checking in occasionally hoping that mk11 might get some change (although i've given up that now.)

mk11 is the sfv of mortal kombat to me. excruciatingly bland, pretty much everything was discovered in week1 and the only thing left after first week was drilling timings for jailing into highs or perfect blocks. mk11 tries to be less wack than mkx (although it's just as wacky, it just has less flair and options so people don't seem to realize for some reason) but it's come at the cost where they removed pretty much everything fun and that gave it some training mode depth. even my day1 combos turned out to be the optimal ones people still use! for a fighting game that's embarassing imo.

D

Deleted member 35141

Took sarcasm as what I believe, then proceeded to post a number ok thanks for the reply

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
I think there’s this expectation now for new things all the time; people are complaining about the game being stale after what, three months!? There’s no way everything’s been discovered: I think there was still more to mkx and injustice 2. But people want it all now. Just chill out and enjoy the game.
But lets be honest here. This game has BARELY any dirt behind it's ears. This was the idea when this game was created though so that would explain it. There is barely any leeway for things because the frame data of things that could be turned into dirt are god awful. Look at Kollector/Kano DoTs. Both take years to startup or have year long recovery frames that make you not want to use the move. Most normals arent neutral or plus or strings have gaps for days to encourage the advanced guard mechanic.

This game is bare bones. No if, and, or but about it.

I must be one of the few who think that this MK is the best ever of the franchise and a very good fighting game in general. I had no interest in previous mks because of the lack of neutral and footsies (just like DBFZ for instance). To me, because of the flexibility the dash cancel mechanism offers, MK11 has a very rich footsie game. The throw meta is also very well thought (my favorite of all the Fighting games I played so far). The wake up game is also very rich with all the options given. I could go on and on. I'm convinced that MK11 has more depth than most think. But I guess you must be a player like me who loves neutral and footsies to enjoy it.
That's just my own opinion. I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings.
r/UnpopularOpinions

Just to clarify, Dark Souls 2 PvP was the GOAT. Which I definitely agree with. Dark Souls 1 had variety but there was too much unbalanced or broken stuff in PvP for it to be really taken seriously. Go watch any two actual HIGH LEVEL players in Dark Souls. Hardly any attacking because it was pretty easy to poise stab most of the meta weapons. I mean I love DS1 PvP because it’s fun, dead angles were the most fun part imo. But competitively DS2 PvP is superior. Even DS3 has better PvP than DS1, just way less variety in builds.
DS1 PVP>DS2
While DS2 had a wider variety of spells and made pure casters viable which I am a fan of, it didnt feel as fun to play as DS1. I remember the Gravelord Greatsword being my weapon of choice and I had setups that caused toxic damage and would play around that or the amazing dead angles the weapon had. I could write a page and a half on the tech and synergies of that weapon. There were clear a clear distinction between people who knew how to play and those who didnt. An obvious way is stun locking and if they knew how to get out of it and then the potential to bait it and then bait the bait. DS3 had a vision and was way more refined but the spell variety kinda had me sad until the DLC came out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Here I am at 3:00 am in the morning and see a tweet of Baraka anti airing Dvorahs jump in with Gutted.

#MK11HasNoTech.

I think people forget the game is like almost 4 months old and they're expecting to know everything about the game when in reality we've only scratched the surface. There is still a bunch of issues, but I feel like people are judging this game a bit harshly and maybe it's because we've played almost every day since launch, and we unpatiently waited for 3 months before release, to us it feels like we've been playing for way longer when it hasn't been that long.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
did you just post some scorpion bnb including his "weaker" variation and call it tech
I'd say the point is that is what the developers probably see as "tech" in this.

Ya get hit by a low from Baraka in this and you lose a huge chunk of life if you don't have a breakaway.

I suppose it's true that it can feel like things are supposed to be played a certain way and not wander away from it much. When I get ideas of different things to try, I run into a wall. And so one returns to just the thing that does stuff.

It's kinda like when you block most things...there isn't a lot you can do.

I'd say the point is that is what the developers probably see as "tech" in this.

Ya get hit by a low from Baraka in this and you lose a huge chunk of life if you don't have a breakaway.

I suppose it's true that it can feel like things are supposed to be played a certain way and not wander away from it much. When I get ideas of different things to try, I run into a wall. And so one returns to just the thing that does stuff.

It's kinda like when you block most things...there isn't a lot you can do.
well I've definitely heard a number of people say that mk11 feels like it's been developed in a way where, "you're supposed to do this or you can do this but you can't do this." that feeling seems evident by the ability system they gave us

DeftMonk

Noob
Well, sure the game isn't as tech heavy as MKX was with all the different cancels, NJP and other stuff, but to me the real problem is most of the interesting stuff being locked behind a shitty variation system... This game needs a third competitive variation and a full rebalancing of the current ones. Too many useless variations and waaaayy too many moves unused...
Having run cancels and more juggles doesnt = more tech. Theres lots of wakeup options in this game so any kind of oki tech that defeats multiple wu options is really useful. Also as the nature of mk11 and staggers being so prevelant means fuzzy gaurding and option selects are also well to be desired. But does anyone post anything about this kind of stuff? Not really, people are all about "lets hop on that hate on mk11 for lack of yolo into this combo i spent 4 hours and a couple bong rips labbing bandwagon"

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
It amazes me how fast people have fully learned this game. I'm still figuring out most of my main's matchups and trying to find some tech and strategies for them. But it seems that many people here has already learned all of it and even had time to got bored... amazing, really amazing.

Seriously, I think/hope NRS is trying to make things a little slower, in order to do every forthcoming change in an informed way. Considering all the moves we have in the game for each character, it is safe to assume they have planned to make a progressive implantation of them all in competitive modes and tourneys. I'm pretty sure that if they had made custom variations legal on day 1, it would have been a big mess really difficult to handle. If I'm right, in less than a month we will have new variations to learn (to play with and against) and, if everything goes well, in some more time we will have custom variations in tourneys, implemented after a good period of testing through the premade variations previously launched. If they follow this path, the game will have a longer lifespan than any other previous title.

However, all this said, I have to agree that NRS needs to improve its communication strategy and it's already time to fix some glaring issues (e.g. hitboxes), but I think the complaining is going a bit wild around here.

trufenix

bye felicia
Whoa big talk about mkx being super deep. The netcode still holds up bitches, let's see some matches and vids then.

Sanjo

Noob
Having run cancels and more juggles doesnt = more tech. Theres lots of wakeup options in this game so any kind of oki tech that defeats multiple wu options is really useful. Also as the nature of mk11 and staggers being so prevelant means fuzzy gaurding and option selects are also well to be desired. But does anyone post anything about this kind of stuff? Not really, people are all about "lets hop on that hate on mk11 for lack of yolo into this combo i spent 4 hours and a couple bong rips labbing bandwagon"
I agree with you. There are a lot of things to find out and I admit that the Tech I find, I don't post. And that's for 2 reasons. 1, I enjoy the research process and I think that some people do to. 2, I don't like this kind of lazy attitude that consist of waiting for others to do the job. That's why I prefer To not contribute To this. Instead, I prefer to share ideas and hope for a constructive group thinking.

xKMMx

Banned
How are people complaining about MK11 getting stale and at the same time praising MKX?

That game was one of the most one-dimensional FG's I have ever played. Most "tech" in that game was "here is another way to mix" or "here is a way to mix more".
I LIKE EM BOTH

elephantvision

Your Cousins, Sisters, 1st cousins favorite gamer
I'm actually shocked that so many TRULY believe future tech is going to be discovered lol. Without customes... MOST of the shit has been found.
The game is not that deep. I don't necessarily think that's all bad but.... the game isn't deep. Ground breaking tech is NOT going to be coming out.

anyone who says the tech hasn't been discovered, "the game is only 3 months old," or similar things are honestly inexperienced at picking up fighting games, then. i had to quit the game after around 1-2 weeks of playing it (and trying hard to like it,) because i had already figured out what the entirety of the gameplay rotated about and the (very limited) extent of tech that existed. my day1 sonya and geras combos are still the optimal ones people use which is disgusting to me.

they tried to make mk play more "fundamental" but it's still just as fraudulent as nrs games have ever been. coinflips are constantly forced. your opponent blocked your poke and you're minus? time to guess if you neutral duck to avoid a throw mixup or stand block to avoid the mid. and that embodies pretty much every "mixup" gameplay for all characters in the game. you get a knockdown? too bad, there are no safejumps in this game - enjoy another coinflip. blocked a scorpion teleport? guess what, even your punish is a coinflip (as if the teleport itself wasn't enough of a neutral coinflip anyways.)

the only thing beyond that people could practice (outside of playing MUs, but the gameplans are fairly bland so MUs aren't really that diverse anyways and the game is too limited to offer any really specific options) are perfect blocks and their 1f links in order to properly jail into highs. but having to practice 1f links in order to not be scrubbed out by d1s on your turn is also disgusting - people have been complaining about the 5-10% of characters in sf4 that required 1f links for their OPTIMAL bnbs (and even had lower damage alternatives.) now imagine if they had to do that in order to not just get mashed out, the criticisms would've been immense.

if someone suddenly forced everyone in basketball to flip a coin every 3rd seconds to see if the ball changes hands, you don't gotta do that coinflip 300 times to accurately assess that it's stupid. nrs in general do not understand fighting games well and their games generally suffer from this kind of fraudulent design - but they usually at least have crazy decisions so chars can do some funny stuff and training mode in mkx was fun as a result. while not serious, at least it was a very fun game. so when they try to make a "legit" fighter with their level of understanding this is what we actually get and it honestly just confirms those suspicions i've had all along (i've touted their incompetence when it comes to understanding 'legitimate' fg gameplay ever since mkx.)