What's new

The lack of interest in UMK3' - rant

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So do people that play UMK3 seriously not like Tournament Edition? I think that's what the re-balance hack was called.

What's wrong with it?

I know nothing about high level UMK3 play except that glitch jabs are a meta that everyone deals with. Maybe @Juggs could explain?
Myself and reo love TE, so does shock and even people like trepound and Sonicfox I believe were getting into it. Once mkx dropped everyone stopped playing. Regular umk3 is kinda boring to me now, but I'd still play it if someone wanted to at a tournament. I believe shock is running a umk3 side tournament at TCW this weekend, and I'll def enter it and play.

@tehdrewsus

Besides Nick (McLovin) there is a group of UMK3 players (probably 10 total) that started replaying the game a couple of years ago on a MAME cabinet in the office. In the last year or so everyone moved on to different jobs but still occasionally get together and will likely start doing it more with the opening of
http://16-bitbar.com/cincy and Arcade Legacy northside

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Most of the people I've played with and talked to dislike TE. I personally don't care for it. It's like you're throwing away history when you play it.
Is it just nostalgia?

I'm asking because it's my understanding that the hack rebalanced the game and made more characters viable and removed the glitch jabs.

Gameplay wise, what do you dislike?

@tehdrewsus

Besides Nick (McLovin) there is a group of UMK3 players (probably 10 total) that started replaying the game a couple of years ago on a MAME cabinet in the office. In the last year or so everyone moved on to different jobs but still occasionally get together and will likely start doing it more with the opening of
http://16-bitbar.com/cincy and Arcade Legacy northside
I would love to get in on that

I'm a pad player, I hope that's okay

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Is it just nostalgia?

I'm asking because it's my understanding that the hack rebalanced the game and made more characters viable and removed the glitch jabs.

No, it's not nostalgia. It's like throwing away everything that you know about a game or that was accomplished in the past 15-20 years. The tiers are different, characters can play differently. Glitch jabs are broke, but the game is meant to be that way. No one wants to play Mvc2 without it being broke, so what is the point?

No, it's not nostalgia. It's like throwing away everything that you know about a game or that was accomplished in the past 15-20 years. The tiers are different, characters can play differently. Glitch jabs are broke, but the game is meant to be that way. No one wants to play Mvc2 without it being broke, so what is the point?
Let's not forget the heavily implied reason glitch jabs were removed…

Has to do with some guy that might have played Kabal...
I wouldn't be surprised if they took babalities out of TE for the same reason ...

I would love to get in on that

I'm a pad player, I hope that's okay
Sure - I'll let you know if something pops up. Generally we do play on cabinets if possible (and have sticks for setups) but not sure how AL and 16bit are being set up. I generally prefer pad for MK9/X but I grew up in the arcade so I personally need the weird button layout for run - UMK3 is the only game where I prefer stick

Sure - I'll let you know if something pops up. Generally we do play on cabinets if possible (and have sticks for setups) but not sure how AL and 16bit are being set up. I generally prefer pad for MK9/X but I grew up in the arcade so I personally need the weird button layout for run - UMK3 is the only game where I prefer stick
Cool. I got good on pad so it's all I can play :-/

Is it just nostalgia?

I was following the UMK3 rebalance version and I'm sure others here would want to try it. The biggest barrier is just a straightforward way to install it that wasn't available the last time I looked

MikeDigs

Twerk
UKM3 holds a special place in my heart. I would drop loads of quarters on it in the arcade at the mall (was 13 then). Until I got good, then I could play for an hour off $1.00 lol. I miss robo smoke tele-uppercut combos and that air throw. Almost got beat up cuz of it lol.

The games pretty damn old, and while I enjoy it like most MK games, there are newer, more improved MK games out with better mechanics that I would rather play :p

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
But you don't throw away everything you know about UMK3. TE made the game more competitive; it removed GJ's, infinites, corner jab infinite, and balanced the game so that Kabal and HSmoke aren't the only top tier characters. It basically did what NRS probably would have done if UMK3 came out in todays time. TE is a lot easier for newer players to get into as well, it's just no one really wants to "get into" a game that is 20 years old, takes a long time to get good at, and when you get good you get to play like 5 players... it's just not appealing.

@tehdrewsus

I actually just signed up to testyourmight just to respond, haha. So... First time, long time....

I'm part of the 10 person crew that @dotunderscore mentioned. He's part of it as well. Over a year ago we used to play every day in the office for 1-2 hours and got pretty competitive with the game. We all left the company last year but we still get together to play on occasion. I've kind of been the proactive one in the group to organize stuff and get us together.

We went to a UMK3 tournament at Arcade Legacy over a year ago. Nick Mathews took the number one spot but we placed second on down the line. I just reached out to him about this post too.

I was able to talk the owner of Amerasia in Covington to get a UMK3 machine. We had a little reunion party there two weeks ago and had a random select tournament. That was painful, haha.

16-Bit opens downtown this Friday and it's confirmed that they will have a UMK3 machine. They also have console stations and I have the Arcade Kollection on my laptop. If your pad is usb/windows friendly, I'm sure we can hook it up there. Honestly, we'd much rather play on those xbox arcade sticks. Those arcade cabinets get a little tight for elbow room. Plus, we're all centrally located in the downtown Cincinnati area. So at least expect us to be at 16-Bit every Friday for happy hour, haha.

Shoot me a pm. I'm sure we're all about to become pretty active again now that there's a lot of opportunities to publicly meet and play around town. Who knows, maybe Cincinnati will become a little UMK3 hub to keep the scene alive? You may say I'm a dreamer...

But you don't throw away everything you know about UMK3. TE made the game more competitive; it removed GJ's, infinites, corner jab infinite, and balanced the game so that Kabal and HSmoke aren't the only top tier characters. It basically did what NRS probably would have done if UMK3 came out in todays time. TE is a lot easier for newer players to get into as well, it's just no one really wants to "get into" a game that is 20 years old, takes a long time to get good at, and when you get good you get to play like 5 players... it's just not appealing.
Fortunately it unintentionally did something else as well… It proved that bass isn't a one dimensional player.

@tehdrewsus

I actually just signed up to testyourmight just to respond, haha. So... First time, long time....

I'm part of the 10 person crew that @dotunderscore mentioned. He's part of it as well. Over a year ago we used to play every day in the office for 1-2 hours and got pretty competitive with the game. We all left the company last year but we still get together to play on occasion. I've kind of been the proactive one in the group to organize stuff and get us together.

We went to a UMK3 tournament at Arcade Legacy over a year ago. Nick Mathews took the number one spot but we placed second on down the line. I just reached out to him about this post too.

I was able to talk the owner of Amerasia in Covington to get a UMK3 machine. We had a little reunion party there two weeks ago and had a random select tournament. That was painful, haha.

16-Bit opens downtown this Friday and it's confirmed that they will have a UMK3 machine. They also have console stations and I have the Arcade Kollection on my laptop. If your pad is usb/windows friendly, I'm sure we can hook it up there. Honestly, we'd much rather play on those xbox arcade sticks. Those arcade cabinets get a little tight for elbow room. Plus, we're all centrally located in the downtown Cincinnati area. So at least expect us to be at 16-Bit every Friday for happy hour, haha.

Shoot me a pm. I'm sure we're all about to become pretty active again now that there's a lot of opportunities to publicly meet and play around town. Who knows, maybe Cincinnati will become a little UMK3 hub to keep the scene alive? You may say I'm a dreamer...
Wow… That is all awesome. I will do my best to get better at stick, but I can also bring my PC, which has mame on it. Mame is a much more faithful versiom as compared to arcade collection. This could be something great

Wow… That is all awesome. I will do my best to get better at stick, but I can also bring my PC, which has mame on it. Mame is a much more faithful versiom as compared to arcade collection. This could be something great
Just when you thought there wasn't any hope, haha.