What's new

The lack of interest in UMK3' - rant

Personally. I think the community should get together to make youtube videos showcasing classic games like third strike, umk3, darkstalkers, etc. A lot of people didn't grow up with access to classic games, so it's hard to expect them to care, but If they knew why people enjoyed it (showcase some mechanics or hype moments), then they may be more inclined to try and learn and compete in it. That's how I picked up third strike.

The most important thing is to have a video where people can quickly learn the mechanics of the game. I played umk3 when I was in a single digit age and just button mashed, so I never learned how to play, so I can't just watch a match confidence because I don't what the players options are. To see I just see a bunch of hitting and dying; not that I have problem with that, but my joy of spectating comes from knowing what can happen as I watch the match unfold.

Imagine an Evo where damn near every fighting game is available. We would take over e-sports easy. Watch one call of duty or league of legends match or... Watch 9000 high level fighting games! Of course you would probably have to watch the footage on your time because they would be a ton of footage.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Personally. I think the community should get together to make youtube videos showcasing classic games like third strike, umk3, darkstalkers, etc. A lot of people didn't grow up with access to classic games, so it's hard to expect them to care, but If they knew why people enjoyed it (showcase some mechanics or hype moments), then they may be more inclined to try and learn and compete in it. That's how I picked up third strike.

The most important thing is to have a video where people can quickly learn the mechanics of the game. I played umk3 when I was in a single digit age and just button mashed, so I never learned how to play, so I can't just watch a match confidence because I don't what the players options are. To see I just see a bunch of hitting and dying; not that I have problem with that, but my joy of spectating comes from knowing what can happen as I watch the match unfold.

Imagine an Evo where damn near every fighting game is available. We would take over e-sports easy. Watch one call of duty or league of legends match or... Watch 9000 high level fighting games! Of course you would probably have to watch the footage on your time because they would be a ton of footage.
As for detailed videos explaining how to play games like say, UMK3, many projects started, but were poorly presented and provided or emphasized more or less subjective situations rather than just straight up, "This is how this works" and I would say the vast amount of knowledge juggling for 2D MK happened on ultimatemk.com between 2006 and 2009, reaching a pique interest in 2010 when we were seeing 32 to 36 player UMK3 tournaments, and 24 player MKII tournaments more often.

http://www.youtube.com/ewashock - has numerous videos for UMK3, MKII, MKT, MK1, etc, showcase vids and combo examples from eons ago, which were part of the revitalization of the entire MK community at large, leading to what it is today.

http://ultimatemk.com/cguide.php - written guides for MK1 through MK4

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheUltimateMK/videos - contains tons of classic UMK3 and MKII match videos from tournaments, with some MK9 in the mix

as for 3S, much video footage exists from tournaments, and combo/strategy videos as well already, this game is highly documented along with games like Super Turbo and Vs games. Darkstalkers, probably not so much but maybe some more recently after the re-release.

@tehdrewsus - he brings up some valid points I agree with. There are many things added just to see if they would work or not, or how they would work if applied, and there hasn't been a chance to take them out. People don't understand that sometimes so they take what they see released as being a final product, no matter how many times you say it's not. This is a factor that makes public beta releases a nuisance to developers.

The purpose of letting people test determines whether or not things are worth keeping. Believe me, the game is far from finished and will have numerous buggy changes reverted, but things like damage scaling, infinites being gone, no more holding block while jabbing, and corner block string infinites will remain changed. When this project will resume, I know not the answer.

Last edited:

MRIGOTBASS

They said on the KN stream chat that @YOMI REO is going back to umk3 because he turned out to suck at MK10. Thank god he is going to be playing ultimate mk again. Message me on PSN for some games, I want him to show me some skills.