What's new

The King Of Fighters XIV

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I wonder if the the choice to use 3D models wasn't just because of development cost, but market share as well. 3D models are present in all of the big 2D games right now: MKX, KI, SFIV/V, MvC, etc. This may be an attempt (I'm not saying a particularly great one) at trying to bring KoF to a larger audience instead of being considered an anime fighter. Regardless of how it plays, in my experience anime fighters are the hardest to get going in a fighting group. (except for P4A, that game is awesome!)
Anime fighters are definitely the hardest, so making 3D models to appeal to a wider audience isn't gonna help. It is most likely a financial thing, sprites cost money man.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
When have transitions from 2d fighter to 3d fighter ever been good? Aside from mk I guess since deception was pretty awesome. But that is one of so many that failed. Unless it is still a 2d fighter with models but it looks like 3d environments.

ErMac333

Noob
At last! Not gonna lie, I think it's a little ugly and they could do better with an improved shading keeping the same models.

But the hype is bigger than that, sadly Ash is not coming back, but at least that means the return of the Yata Mirror to its rightful owner, and hopefully this title brings her back on her feet.

Can't wait for more info!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Watched the trailer and it looks like simple teaser trailer stuff. Game can't look amazing while they also figure out how to even make characters appear, let alone make them do stuff. Wait until we're 6 characters in to what I'm hoping is a 20 character roster. We'll probably be hearing about how pretty everything looks by then and people will have forgotten how pre-alpha footage looked.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Fuck you SNK, you killed World Heroes, Ninja Masters, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Savage Reign, Last Blade, to dedicate your entire life making KOFs, from 94 to 98 it was cool, but then SNK idiots decided that KOF is the only source of income, you lost me there, considered you abandoned games that were incredible more fun to play than KOF. The popularity of KOF has been degrading ever since, and every game is way more shittier than the old version launched, to the point ppl not even gave a single fuck about KOF14.

Fuck you SNK, FUCK YOU!

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
Watched the trailer and it looks like simple teaser trailer stuff. Game can't look amazing while they also figure out how to even make characters appear, let alone make them do stuff. Wait until we're 6 characters in to what I'm hoping is a 20 character roster. We'll probably be hearing about how pretty everything looks by then and people will have forgotten how pre-alpha footage looked.
The real problem is actually why did they even bothered showing XIV in such a state ?

A) they are dumb and didn't think it through > massive amount of people disappointed in the game, will be hard to undo such a fiasco now, even if the game turns out to be better than that.
B) it was the best they could do, so they decided to show the world the extent of their ability to craft a KoF in 2015 ...

In both cases, that really smells awful ... and I played all KoF (94 in arcades, then 95 on NeoGeo CD, 96 in arcades, 97 on Saturn, 98 in Arcades, 99-2000 on NeoGeo, 2001-2003 on PC, rest on consoles or PC, still playing 98-2002 UM and XIII).

It smells like Maximum Impact, but way worse ...

I'd be very very surprised if that game turns out to be anything but a disappointment and a laughing stock.

d3v

SRK
Fuck you SNK, you killed World Heroes, Ninja Masters, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Savage Reign, Last Blade, to dedicate your entire life making KOFs, from 94 to 98 it was cool, but then SNK idiots decided that KOF is the only source of income, you lost me there, considered you abandoned games that were incredible more fun to play than KOF. The popularity of KOF has been degrading ever since, and every game is way more shittier than the old version launched, to the point ppl not even gave a single fuck about KOF14.

Fuck you SNK, FUCK YOU!
Well, considering that players were playing '98 and 2k2 over all these other games that SNK made, it's understandable why they stuck to KoF. The series just became a huge juggernaut for the company. There are places in the world where 2k2 cabinets make more money than newer games.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well, considering that players were playing '98 and 2k2 over all these other games that SNK made, it's understandable why they stuck to KoF. The series just became a huge juggernaut for the company. There are places in the world where 2k2 cabinets make more money than newer games.
Of course they did, SNK turned their attention off other games and focused on doing KOF only. Of course it would be their best game, they've been repeating the formula since 94.

Their best Samurai Shodown is the second one, everything beyond that is shit, and SS II is from 94.
Ninja Master's is pretty fun game, great competitive design, the only think that probably killed the game were the infinities which could easely be tweaked with a sequel and more so.

Basically, when SNK is to release a new title and they announce it, is more like "Oh, look, a new KOF, so impressive SNK" for a company famous for many great titles at the time, new kof.

Spend a few time off, new kof, same bullshit everytime, game mechanics are hardly redesigned, the roster isin't as half impressive, rarely new aditions, characters with no background, i've been seeing the same damn roster since 2k2 to 13, the plot from KOF sucks, their best plot was the Orochi Saga which ruled from 94 to 98, post that, pure bullshit, they came up with the NETS saga, that sucked, came back to Orochi again in 13. Really?

I have no doubts KOF13 is a good game, the redesign and new additions to mechanic was a smart move, but those dream cancel loops are fucking boring after a while, i fail to see the hype in it.

d3v

SRK
Of course they did, SNK turned their attention off other games and focused on doing KOF only. Of course it would be their best game, they've been repeating the formula since 94.

Their best Samurai Shodown is the second one, everything beyond that is shit, and SS II is from 94.
Ninja Master's is pretty fun game, great competitive design, the only think that probably killed the game were the infinities which could easely be tweaked with a sequel and more so.

Basically, when SNK is to release a new title and they announce it, is more like "Oh, look, a new KOF, so impressive SNK" for a company famous for many great titles at the time, new kof.

Spend a few time off, new kof, same bullshit everytime, game mechanics are hardly redesigned, the roster isin't as half impressive, rarely new aditions, characters with no background, i've been seeing the same damn roster since 2k2 to 13, the plot from KOF sucks, their best plot was the Orochi Saga which ruled from 94 to 98, post that, pure bullshit, they came up with the NETS saga, that sucked, came back to Orochi again in 13. Really?

I have no doubts KOF13 is a good game, the redesign and new additions to mechanic was a smart move, but those dream cancel loops are fucking boring after a while, i fail to see the hype in it.
You think these players actually care about the plot of KoF?

More importantly, you think these players will actually want SNK to make anything other than KoF? At most, they'll touch the game once and then grumble that SNK is wasting time doing something else and not trying to make a new KoF that is basically 2k2 with better graphics.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You think these players actually care about the plot of KoF?

More importantly, you think these players will actually want SNK to make anything other than KoF? At most, they'll touch the game once and then grumble that SNK is wasting time doing something else and not trying to make a new KoF that is basically 2k2 with better graphics.
They will if they focus on doing anything other than KOF.

ppl is bored at SNK cause they only do KOF, its just like you said, is 2k2 with better graphics, everyone is freaking tired of it every game. Anything about KOF is boring.

d3v

SRK
They will if they focus on doing anything other than KOF.

ppl is bored at SNK cause they only do KOF, its just like you said, is 2k2 with better graphics, everyone is freaking tired of it every game. Anything about KOF is boring.
Except nobody plays anything else that SNK makes because it's not 2k2. That's literally what happens when you try to run tournaments for KoF (speaking from experience here). At first, people come to play the new game, but eventually the numbers die out and everybody just returns to 2k2.

You can have an entire arcade with all of SNK's greatest games, let the community in, and 90% will just play 2k2.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Except nobody plays anything else that SNK makes because it's not 2k2. That's literally what happens when you try to run tournaments for KoF (speaking from experience here). At first, people come to play the new game, but eventually the numbers die out and everybody just returns to 2k2.

You can have an entire arcade with all of SNK's greatest games, let the community in, and 90% will just play 2k2.
NRS had this problem here with Trilogy and UMK3, it didn't stop them to keep reinventing the wheel.

d3v

SRK
NRS had this problem here with Trilogy and UMK3, it didn't stop them to keep reinventing the wheel.
MK also had the problem in that most games after IV were basically meh. Even when SNK-P releases a solid game like KoFXIII, people will still go back to 2k2.

shura30

Shura
Fuck you SNK, you killed World Heroes, Ninja Masters, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Savage Reign, Last Blade
so, snk killed herself doing 200 shit-tier different fighting games instead of going capcom like (which also did some crap spinoffs but it's clear that the main focus has always been sf)
in time, they nailed character design, lore and some mechanics, fucked the rest in each game
but hell, there could be a butthurt weeaboo somewhere because MUH garou densetsu special

omake:

you abandoned games that were incredible more fun to play than KOF
once 1995 was over, beside small local scenes (motw ftw) kof was too popular to go unnoticed/unmilked - china, jap, kor
98, 2002, xi all of them are sf tier game which only had to improve in minor quirks so yeah, they fucked up pretty badly even in the patch era where 13 kept dlc characters and Chin above the rest even tho choi was a serious issue in 2k2

those dream cancel loops are fucking boring after a while, i fail to see the hype in it.
I believe kof made runcancel combos pretty popular with 2k2, can't remember if someone else did it first
after that a lot of games picked up on that mechanic, mk included

I believe they were fine in 2k2, the right amount of skills required over flashyness
after that doing cancels was dumbed down (auto dash/run in 13) so everyone is edgy with 10 quartercircles in one combo

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
Gotta admit though, dream cancel is a pretty hype term. ~~~~OHHHH! DREAM CANCEL!~~~~ I can hear the commentators yelling the stream monsters taping #dreamboiz.