What's new

The House of El : (1.06) Superman General Discussion Thread

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I see what your saying. Stages like ferris, atlantis and Stryker s island all have interactables in the corner that if you put them in a dive punch reset and you them thats 100% of their life bar and you only need 1 bar, trait and land the reset once
pretty much. The game plan for a large portion of the cast is to get them to the corner and contain them. The meta there changes based on who you're fighting. You can't braindead f23 there either because the opponent can still push block and/or MB B3/F3 you or jump back 2 etc. You have to use the threat of F23 and the dive punch reset to make them commit errors that you then punish with big damage

wayward

just neutral jump
pretty much. The game plan for a large portion of the cast is to get them to the corner and contain them. The meta there changes based on who you're fighting. You can't braindead f23 there either because the opponent can still push block and/or MB B3/F3 you or jump back 2 etc. You have to use the threat of F23 and the dive punch reset to make them commit errors that you then punish with big damage
What set ups are you using in the corner? After enough games against my brother I can't land a reset for shit.

xQUANTUMx

So I'm thinking about possibly playing with superman any tips for a noob? i use black adam and doomsday so i think superman also has that mobilty i like and i figured why not learn another.
if you play Bladam then you already know how to play lame to a certain extent. Superman doesn't have much anymore in terms of rushdown, there are way better characters, like flash or batgirl. What he does have is the ability to whiff punish or punish on block with relatively big damage (depends on what you want to do). Check the combo thread (I will revamp it soon, but its a good primer on where to start). Spacing is also of utmost importance with superman. You live and die by the sword. If superman whiffs, he will eat a full combo that could cost him a lot.

xQUANTUMx

What set ups are you using in the corner? After enough games against my brother I can't land a reset for shit.
you need to threaten him with being able to do it off of a lot of strings. Some cross up, some don't. Turn the reset into a 50/50. They have to guess how to block. Which ones are you using? and are you predictable with them? sometimes not dive punching is better than doing it. In certain circumstances the guaranteed damage and advantageous positioning is better than the risk of getting dive punch blocked and being punished for it.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Is it possible after f23 breath that standing 3 into trait or d1 might be a better option instead of going for another f23?

DarksydeDash

What have you guys been doing after a blocked f23 breath string? I've tried neutral jumping, forward dashing, another f23, heat zap, f3, and air dash cross ups. There are probably more but none of these have been helping me much. I usually just back dash (unless in the corner).

xQUANTUMx

What have you guys been doing after a blocked f23 breath string? I've tried neutral jumping, forward dashing, another f23, heat zap, f3, and air dash cross ups. There are probably more but none of these have been helping me much. I usually just back dash (unless in the corner).
it becomes very read dependent here because you are at neutral. Superman is not very rushdown oriented anymore IMO without taking HUGE risks. I wouldn't use heat zap often (unless its a new player) the startup is too slow and you can get poked or special moved out of it (not worth the +19 on block). F3 is very slow but at least you are relatively plus so you can go for a setup or try to continue pressure (block strings build meter so they are not necessarily completely worthless). TLDR: it depends on the char you are playing. Backdashing is a no-no for example against Killer Frost because her slide will beat you and you're in the vortex. I wish there was a simple answer. Maybe someone more articulate or experienced than me can answer.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
it becomes very read dependent here because you are at neutral. Superman is not very rushdown oriented anymore IMO without taking HUGE risks. I wouldn't use heat zap often (unless its a new player) the startup is too slow and you can get poked or special moved out of it (not worth the +19 on block). F3 is very slow but at least you are relatively plus so you can go for a setup or try to continue pressure (block strings build meter so they are not necessarily completely worthless). TLDR: it depends on the char you are playing. Backdashing is a no-no for example against Killer Frost because her slide will beat you and you're in the vortex. I wish there was a simple answer. Maybe someone more articulate or experienced than me can answer.
I'm not anymore experienced but this ^^^ is the way it is for me. I just switch it up to see the reaction from my opponent. I will do f23, d1, f23xxbreath(can be poked) if the poke next time f23xxbreath and just see the reaction. F23, d1xxbreath ect..... There is a lot of options but you won't know really what to do until your in front of you opponent and trying to get a read on them.

heymanjack

Injustice modder

I don't usually use f23 breath because I learned that I get punished more often than not for using it. I usually do 1,1 after though.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST

I don't usually use f23 breath because I learned that I get punished more often than not for using it. I usually do 1,1 after though.
If you use f23xxbreath on block u are ok if you don't maintain pressure. 11 has no range and the 1st hit is a high so you can be punish for that. F23 IMO is still your best in terms of pressure, its just not continuous pressure anymore. Patients!

Btw I saw that death battles and thought the same thing when I saw that pic. Lol.

xQUANTUMx

be careful though, naked F23 is minus on block. a 6f jab like batman's will full combo you for 40+%.

xQUANTUMx

So can you be counter poked by going into f23, d1?
You are minus on block. The main reason you can get away with it is bc people usually expect the breath follow up.

They are also usually blocking low. Which means if you try to d1, they are automatically blocking. Your d1 on block is -1. see where this is kinda going? it's not terrible because you're building meter, but you're not getting anywhere offensively either because you won't catch someone who's being patient or who is no longer intimidated by superman's run of the mill offense

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
Hmm...and then you can do a f23 frame trap check?
It actually sounds like you know all of your options. What i would recommend is to play patiently. What i do a lot is i try to punish with F23 ect.... off there dash in or a whiffed attack but if it is blocked i will just do a block confirm f23~breath which is safe and then go back to playing footsies and just go try to out playing my opponent. Being patient is key.

DarksydeDash

It actually sounds like you know all of your options. What i would recommend is to play patiently. What i do a lot is i try to punish with F23 ect.... off there dash in or a whiffed attack but if it is blocked i will just do a block confirm f23~breath which is safe and then go back to playing footsies and just go try to out playing my opponent. Being patient is key.
So you pretty much just wait for an empty jump or a whiff? You don't do any lasers? :O

xQUANTUMx

So does f2 into trait. Although you can be poked out of it but its very strict.
I knew I forgot one. It's effective bc it's unexpected. Unless you get in a pattern. They will still be blocking so f2~trait into throw is good. Once they wanna tech you're in business to open them up