What's new

The House of El : (1.06) Superman General Discussion Thread

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
So does every one pretty much think that rush down superman is dead? I sort of feels like it. I try to work in more f2 xxtraitxx1,1 for frame advantage.
Not completely but we got to it strategically. We just can't Superman our way through MUs so it has changed how we rush down. I still do it but not nearly at the pace of pre patch. IMO we have to be more read heavy and counter them and stay in by baiting wakeups and making good reads. I find myself AA for combos a lot because I play patient and then read a jump in and full combo off The AA. Just 1 example.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
watch Theo's videos among others. air to air j1 is under utilized. and the combos dont scale like they did in MK9. I don't do this enough.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
watch Theo's videos among others. air to air j1 is under utilized. and the combos dont scale like they did in MK9. I don't do this enough.
Exactly. That's what I am referring too. It's not safe to do on a grounded opponent so it is an AA tool not a jump in tool. And even has a good amount of recovery if whiffed.

Something I dont see a lot of people do is sacrificing damage for corner position. If my back is to the corner and I land a f23, i will gladly stop my combo short, leaving it at f23, f2 xx rising grab x air laser to place them in the corner and bull dog. With corner combos still doing 50%+, it takes two mixups and its game

Also corner IGS resets still seem really powerful

xQUANTUMx

Who is a lot of people? Honest question as not very many people play him anymore. And yes you are correct. Theo has showcased some corner reversal stuff (Many ways to skin a cat ) in order to get positional advantage. Containment is key. This however, becomes tricky against teleporters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk pro

Well frankly, its something I havent seen anyone do really ever. KDZ, fran, theo, no one online.
Also can you wake up against iGS in the corner?

If the opp doesnt tech roll, after a f2 scoop mid screen, you can 3 trait dash up and iGS as well

xQUANTUMx

Well frankly, its something I havent seen anyone do really ever. KDZ, fran, theo, no one online.
Check the forums for theo's corner reversal stuff. And since patch many people have dropped superman. There are fewer dedicated superman mains now.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Sorry to mess in some1 elses biz! I think it's better this way. Superman can be now developed correctly and with the right people behind him.

Keep up the good work!

Oh! Isn't MF Slayer a great source of Superman intel?

DK85

Noob
Just listened to Theo on the KTP podcast and he talked a little bit about Superman´s zoning.
I´m trying to play a more zoning type of Superman now that we can´t mindless use F+2,3.
Theo talked about the classic Heat Zap, Heat Zap setup. Do you guys know any other setups
to succesfully zone with the man of steel?

xQUANTUMx

The recovery is longer so you can't just throw shit out willy nilly. If you can anticipate forward movement or jump ins heat zap and heat vision can be pretty good.

Edit: online his zoning is better than it really is depending on connection.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
i seem to be zoning fine, but i guess more so because i am doing it smarter now. be more creative like on any type of air dash or reg jump, play with when you throw out the lasers. definitely use them lower more often . also use the heat zap and ground lasers to open them up.. sometimes if i hit them with a heat zap i will immediately do a MB FP to blow up a wakeup, more damage and space to continue zoning or push them towards the corner.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
The MMH MU is hard for me at this point. He just has so much to watch out for. MB B3 on OH tele and trying to use my mobility to avoid his, which his is better. His main string is + on block and he just gets to keep coming and with his trait it's almost impossible to escape. It tough and this is a MU I am trying to figure out currently.

xQUANTUMx

The MMH MU is hard for me at this point. He just has so much to watch out for. MB B3 on OH tele and trying to use my mobility to avoid his, which his is better. His main string is + on block and he just gets to keep coming and with his trait it's almost impossible to escape. It tough and this is a MU I am trying to figure out currently.
Move this char specific stuff to the match up discussion. Espio's in there so tag him and gunshow too

supermans mb heat vision is +11 on block and does 5% / 7% chip. This makes it a really good pressure option. You can pressure with 22HVmb and get a true guaranteed f2 string. so you can do stuff like 22trait 22mbhv f23breath for 10% chip!
Only down side is there is a small gap between 22 & heat vision, but its armor only like 2 frames or something. Cancel advantage would be nice to know for these sort of things .-.
also theres a large gap between the first and second hit of mbHV when its blocked up close =(

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
That's some good laser tech. I am going to use this sometimes. It seems like its something to use when least expected not a on going pressure tool right?

It's NRF or Nuthin!

xQUANTUMx

no. You need to utilize his air and ground mobility a lot. Spamming laser online works. Offline/online on a good connection you'll get destroyed. If you're in the corner, especially against characters like the flash or batgirl, you need to get the hell out. They can kill you there.

heymanjack

Injustice modder
no. You need to utilize his air and ground mobility a lot. Spamming laser online works. Offline/online on a good connection you'll get destroyed. If you're in the corner, especially against characters like the flash or batgirl, you need to get the hell out. They can kill you there.
Alright. Thanks. I'm watching a few a videos of superman in action on youtube and I noticed that most videos I see and study (evo 2013) are considered "pre-patch" the question is how do I know what version of superman I am watching? I'm playing on the PC version and it is the latest version by default.

I notice some videos are old because the damage superman does there are quite high compared to the pc version, even when using the same combo.

xQUANTUMx

If you dont see f23 whiff when they are approx 2-3 char lengths away while they back up, it is pre patch. F23 is no longer a great distanced offensive tool. You need to get in there. And yes, the corner combos have changed somewhat. Superman players are more reliant on the corner reset to get damage but there are other ways midscreen to get decent damage as well.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
Alright. Thanks. I'm watching a few a videos of superman in action on youtube and I noticed that most videos I see and study (evo 2013) are considered "pre-patch" the question is how do I know what version of superman I am watching? I'm playing on the PC version and it is the latest version by default.

I notice some videos are old because the damage superman does there are quite high compared to the pc version, even when using the same combo.
Quantum is right. if you are going to spam lasers you have to do it at all different times while in the air after an air dash or any direction of reg jump. also a good mixup between Heat Zap and ground lasers goes a long way.
but most of all be patient and use Superman's great mobility to help open up opponents. Superman is still a great whiff punisher with the F2 nerf.

wayward

just neutral jump
Guys I feel that ferris aircraft may be one of supermans best stages. At the begining of the round you can nj2 and if you hit or miss you can still grab the missle which is always better than having it used on you later.

Also in the corner with the rockets you can do the same setup slayer does on themyiscira with the tree. Only when you otg with the missle it sends them right back into the corner

Last edited:

xQUANTUMx

I think it's a matter of preference tbh. Ferris is good, but it depends who you're fighting. My favs are NPO: Fortress, Wayne Manor courtyard (day/night), Themyiscira temple. basically, I like a stage where there's a bounce interactable on the screen AND a massive object I can hit you with in the corner, if need be.

wayward

just neutral jump
I see what your saying. Stages like ferris, atlantis and Stryker s island all have interactables in the corner that if you put them in a dive punch reset and you them thats 100% of their life bar and you only need 1 bar, trait and land the reset once

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
So I'm thinking about possibly playing with superman any tips for a noob? i use black adam and doomsday so i think superman also has that mobilty i like and i figured why not learn another.