What's new

The Herd of Console Sheep

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Best value is going to either be to learn how to build or have somebody build one for you. Then you can source all the parts for deals and get the best value for your money. If you can't do that, then yeah, you could go with Cyberpower. But you'll still make better choices if you customize on Cyberpower w/ someone who knows what to pick.

The main things you're looking for:
Most games now are GPU-bound, rather than CPU-bound. This means that your choice of GPU ends up mattering more than having the absolute fastest CPU with the most cores. You don't need an absolutely highest-end GPU unless you wanna run Ultra at 4k, but something at least high mid like a 1070 or lower high end like a 1080.

Get an SSD. And get one with enough space on it (like a 512 GB rather than a 128 GB). You'll thank yourself for this later.

16 GB of RAM is pretty standard. You can get by with 8 but it's no longer recommended.
Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely thinking of thinking ahead about the GPU for 1080 and up tho since I just bought a "60" LG smart TV and loving some 4k. I had a older tv that have me 1080i at best. 4k quality really does make a difference in the quality and visuals both on TV's and monitors from what I've seen when watching my friends and neighbor with their setup. There so expensive. Too Damn expensive.

Getting a SSD is a must. Believe me I've been schooled. Also I was thinking of 16G's of ram at first but we just getting fiber in our area and has a installer I think it's a good start that I go with 8 instead since fiber seems to perform good enough from most of the repairs I've been on. I could always upgrade later.

So yeah I was thinking of building my own actually but I have so little time to do so and little ones around me at home. Wanted to try during my layoff.

villainous monk

do NOT buy Alienware. I don't know shit about Cyberpower but if it's anything like Alienware then stay away from them too. Overpriced shit designed to sell to the naive market.

Find someone you know who can assemble PC's if you can't do it yourself and buy them a couple of beers. If not, a computer shop should do it for like, $20.

Research at your price point and ask for help on places like the pcmr discord, you've got a decent budget and you can definitely get something quality for even cheaper than that too. Do you need to get peripherals for it too or just the pc itself?
Man... I'm conflicted. Was going to go off of Ailenware due to familiaraity with some of my peoples having a few things by Ailenware. One of their gaming laptops looks good.

But yeah I'm definitely getting my hands held and bottle feed from many people right now since in their words I'm finally being a grown up and respectable member of society in getting a PC for gaming.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Man... I'm conflicted. Was going to go off of Ailenware due to familiaraity with some of my peoples having a few things by Ailenware. One of their gaming laptops looks good.

But yeah I'm definitely getting my hands held and bottle feed from many people right now since in their words I'm finally being a grown up and respectable member of society in getting a PC for gaming.
Wouldn't really go for alienware if I were you, it's just an overpriced Dell.

villainous monk

In terms of PCs and upgrading, @God Confirm is correct. One thing I see console-only players get confused on regularly is the perceived "need" to upgrade your hardware every five minutes, which is simply not the case.

If you bought a bottom of the barrel PC, then you'll need to upgrade sooner rather than later, but if you're spending about $1000.00 Canadian, give or take, you'll be good for anywhere between three to five years these days!

PC games don't have a single set of system requirements, they have a minimum and recommended. The minimum requirements are what your system needs to meet to play the game in it's most basic and stable form, with all settings on low and likely at a lower resolution. The game will likely run on something lesser, but problems and performance issues will likely occur and the publisher will not support you. Recommended settings are what you'd need to meet to have everything maxed with high resolution and all the bells and whistles going at a silky smooth performance.

The gap between the minimum and recommended requirements are usually large, meaning a whole variety of systems can play the games wonderfully!

As I mentioned in another post, my PC is now 4.5 years old, and the only thing holding me back from playing newer, more modern titles is my video card. A GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB. If I bothered to upgrade that, I could play any game on the PC market today just fine. The newer ones wouldn't be all at max settings, but they'd still look and play great.

@villainous monk Where abouts in Canada do you live? If you're in the GTA, I can recommend a good PC place for you that builds systems. They've been quite fair to me over the years.
I live in Waterloo.

I miss Scarborough.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Pirating is not illegal in every country and either way, a shitload of people do it anyway without repercussion. Over half my country pirate's digital goods. For every 1 video game sale on PC there is 9 pirated downloads. I buy all my games, and have a massive Steam collection, but I also pirate things that both won't provide a refund, and that I'm unsure of first, to verify it's not just some marketing bs trying to scam ME. Whether or not you want to use it yourself, it's still definitely a valid benefit of the PC having the option, and I'm sure it's fueled a lot of sales. But I can understand not wanting to do it

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely thinking of thinking ahead about the GPU for 1080 and up tho since I just bought a "60" LG smart TV and loving some 4k. I had a older tv that have me 1080i at best. 4k quality really does make a difference in the quality and visuals both on TV's and monitors from what I've seen when watching my friends and neighbor with their setup. There so expensive. Too Damn expensive.

Getting a SSD is a must. Believe me I've been schooled. Also I was thinking of 16G's of ram at first but we just getting fiber in our area and has a installer I think it's a good start that I go with 8 instead since fiber seems to perform good enough from most of the repairs I've been on. I could always upgrade later.

So yeah I was thinking of building my own actually but I have so little time to do so and little ones around me at home. Wanted to try during my layoff.
You want the RAM for high res textures, sounds, and animations in memory (not related to your internet speed). Because there's no point in running 4k if you can't actually fit the high-resolution 4k textures for your game into your tiny 8g of RAM :)

Deep33

Noob
If you don't possess the knowledge required to build your own gaming pc, go with the configurators on cyberpowerpc.com. Its a good start and they can be the same price as you buying individual parts by yourself at times. They will also include a 3 yr warranty! So it could be worth it. Now, if ya don't know what the heck to pick on their configurator, get on tomshardware or similar websites and start readin. Quit pushing buttons like a rabid rabbit for a minute and start reading! (educate yourself my dear sheep critters). In a world where AI's getting more dangerous than a nuclear weapon, learn to build a pc at the least.

I live in Waterloo.

I miss Scarborough.
I have family in Waterloo, actually, and visit there every so often. The place I've bought my last few systems from is in Scarborough. It's called Zero-PC, and they've been very good in terms of their pricing and support when needed.

Typically what I do is look at the systems they have on their site, and go visit (or call) to confirm as what's one their website is not always their latest promotions/pricing, and then I swap out/adjust various hardware to my liking.

They build the system of course (something I've never been comfortable with myself) and install the OS and other such base software, though the first thing I've always done when bringing a system home is format it and clean install everything myself. Of course you don't need to do so if you're not comfortable with that either.

If you're not keen on the drive back to Scarborough (usually takes them about two-ish days to build your system), there must be similar kinds of places in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I'm a PC user mainly. Though as I do 3D animation for a living I have a pretty hardcore rig that is constantly replaced as part of my operating budget for work. So maybe I am out of touch but I can not really understand the hate on consoles.

A pc video card, not even the top one will cost more than a entire Ps4.. and that is just the card. I can not seriously think anyone can realistically say that a PC Gaming Rig is a cheaper option than a console and I think it is fair to say that they have a shorter longevity as well. PC Gamers tend to want ot run everything at max and then freak out after 6 months when that is no longer possible. Plus they need knowledge and a level of skill to choose the parts and then put together. A console you just pay the money and your done, also as it is a closed hardware system you are 100% guaranteed that every game will run well to extremely well on it with zero effort. Time is a commodity and has its own value. Screwing around building, going to forums to find out why there is a crash or how to do something on PC is in a way its own cost as well.

II do not think anyone thinks a console is "better" when talking speed and gfx in comparison to a PC... but for cost vs result and time and effort as well as the assured life span and game compatibility consoles have their own very attractive points as well. As I said I have always been a PC gamer, but once the 4K consoles start to come out I realy can not see why I would bother with a PC gaming rig anymore.

God Confirm

its beyond me why anyone thinks that if you have the knowledge for both, PC is more expensive than console, I guess the one argument you can make is M+KB costs a little more? Though they also outlast most controllers

once the 4K consoles start to come out I realy can not see why I would bother with a PC gaming rig anymore.
we on to 8k now

this has been discussed countless of times since forever.
i played on consoles when i was young because pc,s or computers were so much more expensive back then and also more complicated to use. today everyone can use a pc properly.
today i play on console (ps4) because of being the standard for the fighting games i play and the bigger playerbase. thats it.

lets also not forget that consoles were always the standard in the fgc after the end of the arcades.

Last edited:

villainous monk

this has been discussed countless of times and also has been is a topic since forever..
i played on consoles when i was young because pc,s or computers were so much more expensive back then and also more complicated to use. today everyone can use a pc properly.
today i play on console (ps4) because of being the standard for the fighting games i play and the bigger playerbase. thats it.

lets also not forget that consoles were always the standard in the fgc after the end of the arcades.
You know what. Untill a few years ago I used to think this very same way. Now I don't have a PS4. I could if I really wanted to but then again I asked myself.

Why? For fighting games? Nah. Because I don't want to waste close to $400 bucks on it when I am a grown up with a wife and kids and career and I already got an Xbox which has the same games why have both and eventually a PC once I have the chance. Nah.

I've been waiting to go PC for a while now. Besides it always seems that PC is better for most games anyways and in the future I hope most tournaments go by PC as well.

God Confirm

the vast majority of the FGC, are not really big gamers. Play 1 or 2 non-fighting games a year. Consoles get static performance with most fighting games, and is an easy purchase so they do that. Many fighters run better on PC. But people don't understand that doesn't mean a decade old machine running a PS4 era game on max graphics, so they can't wrap their head around this.

villainous monk

the vast majority of the FGC, are not really big gamers. Play 1 or 2 non-fighting games a year. Consoles get static performance with most fighting games, and is an easy purchase so they do that. Many fighters run better on PC. But people don't understand that doesn't mean a decade old machine running a PS4 era game on max graphics, so they can't wrap their head around this.
Yes! I agree 100%!

Look at their streams. It's boring as fuck. Even I agree. Don't care about the arguments it's a tiring to watch the lab as a wondering casual.

If my wife has to go and get up to text, talk or fall asleep to the same thing I do with the game. She sees others do it on twitch or other sites and says all there doing is the same shit and not even interacting with people. Which she says is absolutely boring because they can't try another game but hey.

Then you look at a casual stremer or some next dude and their trying to letan or having fun and it SHOWS on the stream. Take Aris for example.

Before his podcasts he would argue and debate the very same things in this thread. PC v console. Developers not supporting PC compatibility and how trash it always turned out and how this generally would be another example of why ps4 is the way to go. Then his streams would be full of facts. Fun, entertainment, education and really good gaming. But he told the tale that Tekken would be better on PC and lo & behold... There it is. Just shy of cross platform compatibility on all consoles but superior than them.

I don't know. I just had to vent a lottli because PC does seem like the better way to go on just about all your gaming needs.

I'm just glad I got shown the way because consoles are... Gross.

You know what. Untill a few years ago I used to think this very same way. Now I don't have a PS4. I could if I really wanted to but then again I asked myself.

Why? For fighting games? Nah. Because I don't want to waste close to $400 bucks on it when I am a grown up with a wife and kids and career and I already got an Xbox which has the same games why have both and eventually a PC once I have the chance. Nah.

I've been waiting to go PC for a while now. Besides it always seems that PC is better for most games anyways and in the future I hope most tournaments go by PC as well.
well, a ps4 does not make sense for you then. thats ok, play on whatever you want dude. i would never suggest you to buy a ps4 or whatever.
in my case i usually buy a console depending on games and playerbase. i also support my local scene and tournaments providing hardware. ive been doing this for decades now by the way.