What's new

The Herd of Console Sheep

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Ok, so my reading of the thread:
  • This is obvious a half-troll post, but tounge-in-cheek posts can still be fun or lead to some interesting discussion
  • Half the people in this convo are still trolling and just having fun, another few are trying to have a serious conversation about the merits of building a low cost PC vs. a console
  • Both the sides are sniping at each other instead of realizing that we're all in this together, for diff. reasons.
:)

And some things I wanted to say on a general level:
  1. If you build a $400 PC, you can't then claim PC Master race ;) You need to be in that $1000-2k range to experience the true masterhood and post stuff about your 1.4k and 4k graphics
  2. If you're building a PC because you want something that runs better than a console, you better make it significantly better. There's no reason to source parts to build something that's just barely better than a PS4 and has the trolly securityware, strange bugs and hardware inconsistencies that can happen on a PC.
  3. PC gaming at it's best (not $400) is truly glorious, and if you have the money and haven't experienced it you're missing out. But if you don't care, I respect that, more power to you, and do your thing.
  4. You know you're playing Super Meat Boy or Fortnite anyway and don't care about the graphics ;)
5) Everyone breathe and remember to hug each other and have fun now and then

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
pcmr shit is all satire but we should still be clear that we aren't posting misinformation imo

If you're building a PC because you want something that runs better than a console, you better make it significantly better. There's no reason to source parts to build something that's just barely better than a PS4 and has the trolly securityware, strange bugs and hardware inconsistencies that can happen on a PC.
PC that is only slightly more powerful than a console:

- Free online
- Mods
- Better sound quality
- Better controls, controller options, and control binding options
- full backwards compatability
- upgradeable hardware
- emulators
- cheaper games, tons more quality, free games
- more exclusives than every console combined
- slightly better performance on the games that they do share, for cheaper
- higher resolutions
- full refund on video games you bought, played, and didn't like

and that's just gaming wise, and not including the subjective stuff like the fact that there is a FUCKLOAD less 12 year olds. Not to mention all the other uses and advantages that you get from you know, having a PC, like video editing (a big one for this community), graphic design, downloading, setting up song librarys, word processing, whatever.

"no reason"

Last edited:

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Ok, so my reading of the thread:
  • This is obvious a half-troll post, but tounge-in-cheek posts can still be fun or lead to some interesting discussion
  • Half the people in this convo are still trolling and just having fun, another few are trying to have a serious conversation about the merits of building a low cost PC vs. a console
  • Both the sides are sniping at each other instead of realizing that we're all in this together, for diff. reasons.
:)

And some things I wanted to say on a general level:
  1. If you build a $400 PC, you can't then claim PC Master race ;) You need to be in that $1000-2k range to experience the true masterhood and post stuff about your 1.4k and 4k graphics
  2. If you're building a PC because you want something that runs better than a console, you better make it significantly better. There's no reason to source parts to build something that's just barely better than a PS4 and has the trolly securityware, strange bugs and hardware inconsistencies that can happen on a PC.
  3. PC gaming at it's best (not $400) is truly glorious, and if you have the money and haven't experienced it you're missing out. But if you don't care, I respect that, more power to you, and do your thing.
  4. You know you're playing Super Meat Boy or Fortnite anyway and don't care about the graphics ;)
5) Everyone breathe and remember to hug each other and have fun now and then
Uh oh! Be careful, sir! Don't rile them up with this sort of "crazy talk" lol!

You are stating what I said. They did not appreciate it. Just saying. You're correct, though.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
its all satire but we should still be clear that we aren't posting misinformation imo

PC that is only slightly more powerful than a console:

- Free online
- Mods
- Better sound quality
- Better controls, controller options, and control binding options
- full backwards compatability
- upgradeable hardware
- emulators
- cheaper games, tons more quality, free games
- more exclusives than every console combined
- slightly better performance on the games that they do share, for cheaper
- higher resolutions
- full refund on video games you bought, played, and didn't like

and that's just gaming wise, and not including the subjective stuff like the fact that there is a FUCKLOAD less 12 year olds. Not to mention all the other uses and advantages that you get from you know, having a PC, like video editing (a big one for this community), graphic design, downloading, setting up song librarys, word processing, whatever.

"no reason"
These are all very good reasons to build and run a PC over a gaming console. The only problem is that a budget build will bottleneck during some video editing. I remember using Adobe after effects for some editing. The PC that I was using was not the best. The render queue killed that machine like nobody's business.

Other graphic design programs like Adobe Animate might be ok, but rendering again may be an issue.

God Confirm

These are all very good reasons to build and run a PC over a gaming console. The only problem is that a budget build will bottleneck during some video editing. I remember using Adobe after effects for some editing. The PC that I was using was not the best. The render queue killed that machine like nobody's business.

Other graphic design programs like Adobe Animate might be ok, but rendering again may be an issue.
no doubt, good point

God Confirm

I've quite enjoyed the StarCraft franchise's story as a whole, it's a really fun game story.
it has the best animated cinematics I've ever seen

ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgatL2LQKLI

For "Legacy of the Void" Versus, there's constant hate arguments going on between Protoss and Terran players right now as to who has it harder. It's sad and funny to watch all the people whine about "balance" instead of looking for ways to make up their own shortcomings.
It is one game I've never given a shit about balance. It's NEVER what is holding you back as a player, especially when there's almost always an equal split of races in tournament finals, and with how often its patched you always know bad balance is going to swing back around sooner or later anyway.

Yet as you say, it's basically all people talk and complain about. But honestly you see the same mentality in most competitive communities, people are too used to developers holding their hands through things that are tricky to deal with. This one certainly isn't any better.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
The army of trolls have struck again, denying the fact that they the true cause of the derails and the roasts, all for the sake of entertainment at the expanse of mature and logical people.

You can have the thread if you want, I will go on and keep being the one who is really righteous around here. No disrespect to other good and logical people outside of the army of course ;)

Last edited:
@God Confirm Just to comment on your list to @CrimsonShadow , most of what you list is true, but there are a few points that aren't. For fairness and discussion's sake:

- Better sound quality would depend on speaker set up, especially since most people use onboard sound now instead of sound cards (remember the good ol' Sound Blaster 16!)
- Full backwards compatibility actually isn't true. It depends how far back you're calling full. This is further complicated by the lack of a unified platform on PC. i.e. My father has the retail version of Fallout 3, which was Games for Windows Live. That obviously went bust, and he ended up having to get the Steam version. But that version isn't optimized for anything beyond Windows Vista, and now that he's on Windows 10, should he want to play it again, he might have to buy the GoG version if I can't help him figure out the workarounds.
- Slightly better performance on shared games is generally true, but not always. There have been some shitty console to PC ports.
- Full refund on games also is dependent on the service being used. Steam offers this (within a very strict time window), but Battle.net does not, for example. So it's not a unified and definitive point.

For StarCraft II, oh yeah! Honestly, I find all of Blizzard Entertainments cinematics are fantastic. The one you linked to is absolutely great! Even their in-engine cinematics are spectacular. My favourite is in "Heart of the Swarm" when Kerrigan learns about Raynor's execution, and she just screams, and then looking at that Zergling decides to go back to the swarm. So much is said with no words in that one cinematic.

Agreed. Honestly, unless you're playing at an extremely high level, balance will rarely enter play because we're simply not skilled enough to properly experience it. Most people freaking out about balance should instead be saying: I'm having a hard time dealing with "X," what are some options for me to try? But of course, logic.

God Confirm

Hmmm doesn't that sound quality point go both ways? Anything you plug the console into is going to sound better with the PC plugged in if the sound has been compressed for console release.

Keep in mind all my points are COMMON benefits. There is an exception to every point, and you pointed out most of the ones to mine, but they are still great benefits of PC 99% of the time. Look at the backwards compatibility of the PS for example as your comparison.

Steam offers the service which is where like 99% of games are offered, but almost any game you are worried about getting scammed on can be pirated on PC safely and easily to check if you like it before buying it. Not an option for some games, like Overwatch, but not an option at all on console. Or just pirating in general. Not something everyone will want to do, but it's definitely a reason a lot of people buy PC. You gave Blizzard as an example, but as a StarCraft player you should know there's exceptions to even that, the entire Wings of Liberty is free now is not? You can definitely try that before buying and I think even Overwatch has similar trial offers at some points.

For every game that runs poorer on a PC with slightly better specs than on console, theres 100 that run better on it, and you know that's true.

The post said there was no reason to buy a similarly spec'd PC to a console, and at the end of the day every point I listed is a reason that someone would, even if there are rare exceptions to each of them.

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
So I lurked though some of this thread. The rest was white noise and I ain't got time for that but let me ask the PC plebs a question.

If I were to go to PC where would I start? And what I would I need for a budget of around $1500 Cnd? Most of my friends already got rigs that they say would not fit my lifestyle so I should be starting of with Ailenware or Cyberpower then buy a better keyboard, mouse graphics card and whatnot.

Ligit question here. Also consoles do suck and I play unfortunately on console.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So I lurked though some of this thread. The rest was white noise and I ain't got time for that but let me ask the PC plebs a question.

If I were to go to PC where would I start? And what I would I need for a budget of around $1500 Cnd? Most of my friends already got rigs that they say would not fit my lifestyle so I should be starting of with Ailenware or Cyberpower then buy a better keyboard, mouse graphics card and whatnot.

Best value is going to either be to learn how to build or have somebody build one for you. Then you can source all the parts for deals and get the best value for your money. If you can't do that, then yeah, you could go with Cyberpower. But you'll still make better choices if you customize on Cyberpower w/ someone who knows what to pick.

The main things you're looking for:
Most games now are GPU-bound, rather than CPU-bound. This means that your choice of GPU ends up mattering more than having the absolute fastest CPU with the most cores. You don't need an absolutely highest-end GPU unless you wanna run Ultra at 4k, but something at least high mid like a 1070 or lower high end like a 1080.

Get an SSD. And get one with enough space on it (like a 512 GB rather than a 128 GB). You'll thank yourself for this later.

16 GB of RAM is pretty standard. You can get by with 8 but it's no longer recommended.

Last edited:

God Confirm

do NOT buy Alienware. I don't know shit about Cyberpower but if it's anything like Alienware then stay away from them too. Overpriced shit designed to sell to the naive market.

Find someone you know who can assemble PC's if you can't do it yourself and buy them a couple of beers. If not, a computer shop should do it for like, $20.

Research at your price point and ask for help on places like the pcmr discord, you've got a decent budget and you can definitely get something quality for even cheaper than that too. Do you need to get peripherals for it too or just the pc itself?

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
Console – buy ps4/xbox, tv, and headphone or surround system. Play be happy.

Pc – buy pc, get monitor, headphone, good k/m. Be happy for a bit.

New game comes out and gpu just not give 60 fps on high settings so buy a new one.

Now pc is giving 100 + frames so buy a 120-240 hz g-sync or 4k hdr monitor. Now realize you have 2 gpu with one just laying around. That's fine guess to get a new motherboard so you can use that extra card for phyx on the 4 game that use it. Once again happy for a bit.

Headphones gives out need to get new one. Getting wise now will do a bit of research online before buying. Turns out almost all gaming headset are $30 headset with rgb and 7.1 gaming addition slapped on. For good headsets you need a sound card or external dac and amp to power them nicely. Also need to get separate mic. Buy whole set up. Now feeling really happy and proud with set up.

Few month go by and start thinking about all the money you spent over the years. Start wondering if it is really worth it.

Console has a new exclusive you want to play out. Power on ps4 and $100+ wireless turtle beach headphone for the first time in two year for gaming. With in the first 10 seconds you are completely blown away by how bad the sound is. Well this just will not do. No problem pc sound card has a toslink in on the back. To the store to buy a longer toslink cable and extension cable for the headset. Sounds great now time to actual start to play the game. Start playing and notice you can deal with low resolution or 30 fps not both. Back to the store to get a ps4 pro just to enjoy the game. Still not completely happy but it is good enough and the game is great.

Fully realize that you have now officially joined the pc master race and will constantly be throwing large sums of money in keep your gaming needs satisfied.

Should have just stuck with the consoles.

Last edited:
I have been playing PC games exclusively for 10 years (most recently: Dota2 and many other great Steam games), while only started to play fighting games on PS4 for 2 years, this is my humble opinion.
PS4 overall are good options for people who want a varied gaming experience. But I still feel like PC is WAY better because PC is capable of doing everything consoles can (the other way around is not possible).
Due to the fact that some games are intended to be optimized (or exclusive) for PS4, experience those games on PS4 is much better.
But honestly, the way Sony treats there customers is so unacceptable. I really hate Sony but since nothing can really compete with PSN at the moment, I will have to stick with fighting games on PS4 for a long time.

God Confirm

Console – buy ps4/xbox, tv, and headphone or surround system. Play be happy.

Pc – buy pc, get monitor, headphone, good k/m. Be happy for a bit.

New game comes out and gpu just not give 60 fps on high settings so buy a new one.

Now pc is giving 100 + frames so buy a 120-240 hz g-sync or 4k hdr monitor. Now realize you have 2 gpu with one just laying around. That's fine guess to get a new motherboard so you can use that extra card for phyx on the 4 game that use it. Once again happy for a bit.

Headphones gives out need to get new one. Getting wise now will do a bit of research online before buying. Turns out almost all gaming headset are $30 headset with rgb and 7.1 gaming addition slapped on. For good headsets you need a sound card or external dac and amp to power them nicely. Also need to get separate mic. Buy whole set up. Now feeling really happy and proud with set up.

Few month go by and start thinking about all the money you spent over the years. Start wondering if it is really worth it.

Console has a new exclusive you want to play out. Power on ps4 and $100+ wireless turtle beach headphone for the first time in two year for gaming. With in the first 10 seconds you are completely blown away by how bad the sound is. Well this just will not do. No problem pc sound card has a toslink in on the back. To the store to buy a longer toslink cable and extension cable for the headset. Sounds great now time to actual start to play the game. Start playing and notice you can deal with low resolution or 30 fps not both. Back to the store to get a ps4 pro just to enjoy the game. Still not completely happy but it is good enough and the game is great.

Fully realize that you have now officially joined the pc master race and will constantly be throwing large sums of money in keep your gaming needs satisfied.

Should have just stuck with the consoles.
do you live in a world where having the option to get better performance makes you unhappy and you would prefer not to have it? I don't get it

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
I'm happy with it for now. Just when them big format gaming displays monitor come out the whole cyclical is going to start again.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
do you live in a world where having the option to get better performance makes you unhappy and you would prefer not to have it? I don't get it
I don’t think it’s that people don’t like having an option to have better performance. I think that it’s being required to up your performance if you want to even play the new game or whatever it is. People are both lazy and poor generally speaking. Consoles are cheaper, and require infinitely less effort to enjoy. To me, it’s just that simple on why some people prefer console over PC.

God Confirm

I don’t think it’s that people don’t like having an option to have better performance. I think that it’s being required to up your performance if you want to even play the new game or whatever it is. People are both lazy and poor generally speaking. Consoles are cheaper, and require infinitely less effort to enjoy. To me, it’s just that simple on why some people prefer console over PC.
That's... not just lazy or poor, but stupid. Not sure why people think because you can upgrade that you're forced to. You're no more required to up your performance to play a new game then you are forced to buy a new console. If you bought a PC with specs as good as PS4 for the same price point, you're just as capable as playing anything it can without needing to upgrade? I don't understand this logic. If anything, PC is less affected by this, as you can turn down the settings on most next gen games to run them even on older hardware where consoles don't get that option. You have an OPTION to upgrade for even more quality that the console isn't capable of, this is a benefit of the PC not a disadvantage. It also makes buying into the next gen much cheaper usually as you probably don't need to upgrade much more than the card most the time. People can play on what they prefer but the logic that you are required to upgrade PC's doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
That's... not just lazy or poor, but stupid. Not sure why people think because you can upgrade that you're forced to. You're no more required to up your performance to play a new game then you are forced to buy a new console. If you bought a PC with specs as good as PS4 for the same price point, you're just as capable as playing anything it can without needing to upgrade? I don't understand this logic. If anything, PC is less affected by this, as you can turn down the settings on most next gen games to run them even on older hardware where consoles don't get that option. You have an OPTION to upgrade for even more quality that the console isn't capable of, this is a benefit of the PC not a disadvantage. It also makes buying into the next gen much cheaper usually as you probably don't need to upgrade much more than the card most the time. People can play on what they prefer but the logic that you are required to upgrade PC's doesn't make sense.
That’s not what I meant. A lot of new games up the requirements of your hardware (and software) in order for the game to perform how it was intended. This is a natural progression of technology. With a console, the only thing you will need to worry about is maybe buying the upgraded console version, but it’s not a necessity. Or eventually buying the next gen of console(s).

No one is suggesting it’s a disadvantage for PC. Not sure why that was even mentioned honestly. To reiterate my point, it’s very simple, people are both poor and lazy. With a console, you don’t have to worry about anything aside from the initial purchase. If something with the console goes wrong, you can most of the time get it replaced either free or for very cheap. Most people who prefer consoles over PC wouldn’t know what to do if almost anything started to “fail” on their PC. You don’t need much knowledge at all to play on console, while you do need at least some knowledge to maintain a PC for gaming.

My argument has zero to do with which is “better”. Obviously it’s common sense that PC is superior in just about every way. My argument is explaining why despite that, some people still prefer consoles.

God Confirm

That’s not what I meant. A lot of new games up the requirements of your hardware (and software) in order for the game to perform how it was intended. This is a natural progression of technology. With a console, the only thing you will need to worry about is maybe buying the upgraded console version, but it’s not a necessity. Or eventually buying the next gen of console(s).

No one is suggesting it’s a disadvantage for PC. Not sure why that was even mentioned honestly. To reiterate my point, it’s very simple, people are both poor and lazy. With a console, you don’t have to worry about anything aside from the initial purchase. If something with the console goes wrong, you can most of the time get it replaced either free or for very cheap. Most people who prefer consoles over PC wouldn’t know what to do if almost anything started to “fail” on their PC. You don’t need much knowledge at all to play on console, while you do need at least some knowledge to maintain a PC for gaming.

My argument has zero to do with which is “better”. Obviously it’s common sense that PC is superior in just about every way. My argument is explaining why despite that, some people still prefer consoles.
My post had nothing to do with which is better either, I literally said play on what you want. My point is acting like you have to upgrade PC doesn't make sense, when you can just tone down the settings on those games and still beat how it plays on console - almost all games do it automatically nowadays. Simplicity of console is a valid reason, being scared of some unnecessary need to upgrade is an illogical one, let's not conflate the two.

Hmmm doesn't that sound quality point go both ways? Anything you plug the console into is going to sound better with the PC plugged in if the sound has been compressed for console release.

Keep in mind all my points are COMMON benefits. There is an exception to every point, and you pointed out most of the ones to mine, but they are still great benefits of PC 99% of the time. Look at the backwards compatibility of the PS for example as your comparison.

Steam offers the service which is where like 99% of games are offered, but almost any game you are worried about getting scammed on can be pirated on PC safely and easily to check if you like it before buying it. Not an option for some games, like Overwatch, but not an option at all on console. Or just pirating in general. Not something everyone will want to do, but it's definitely a reason a lot of people buy PC. You gave Blizzard as an example, but as a StarCraft player you should know there's exceptions to even that, the entire Wings of Liberty is free now is not? You can definitely try that before buying and I think even Overwatch has similar trial offers at some points.

For every game that runs poorer on a PC with slightly better specs than on console, theres 100 that run better on it, and you know that's true.

The post said there was no reason to buy a similarly spec'd PC to a console, and at the end of the day every point I listed is a reason that someone would, even if there are rare exceptions to each of them.
@God Confirm For sound quality, absolutely it could, and compressed or not, also depends on one's speaker set ups for the PC or console.

Yes indeed, and that's simply what I wanted to point out, as the way you listed them looked definitive to me when that's not the case. And as I've mentioned in other parts of this thread, I agree 100% that a PC is a more robust, upgradable, versatile, and overall powerful gaming machine over a console.

There's no question Steam is the big PC service, but there are others for certain titles. Windows Store, UPlay, Origin, just to name a few. Battle.net is obviously another big one, and is now hosting non-Blizzard games (Activision) which I believe are not available on Steam. So my point does stand that the platform as a whole does not have a unified distribution system or networking system like consoles does.

While yes, you can pirate games easier on PC (I know you could as well on the last generation of consoles, not sure about this one), being an illegal practice I don't recommend it and would not bring it into a discussion of platform pros and cons.

I can't comment on Overwatch as I don't play it (not my style of game), but StarCraft II was made free-to-play almost a year ago, and that's a very different product model than a simple demo or return policy, and a dramatic shift in the model Blizzard Entertainment has previously used for their RTS games.

In terms of PCs and upgrading, @God Confirm is correct. One thing I see console-only players get confused on regularly is the perceived "need" to upgrade your hardware every five minutes, which is simply not the case.

If you bought a bottom of the barrel PC, then you'll need to upgrade sooner rather than later, but if you're spending about $1000.00 Canadian, give or take, you'll be good for anywhere between three to five years these days!

PC games don't have a single set of system requirements, they have a minimum and recommended. The minimum requirements are what your system needs to meet to play the game in it's most basic and stable form, with all settings on low and likely at a lower resolution. The game will likely run on something lesser, but problems and performance issues will likely occur and the publisher will not support you. Recommended settings are what you'd need to meet to have everything maxed with high resolution and all the bells and whistles going at a silky smooth performance.

The gap between the minimum and recommended requirements are usually large, meaning a whole variety of systems can play the games wonderfully!

As I mentioned in another post, my PC is now 4.5 years old, and the only thing holding me back from playing newer, more modern titles is my video card. A GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB. If I bothered to upgrade that, I could play any game on the PC market today just fine. The newer ones wouldn't be all at max settings, but they'd still look and play great.

@villainous monk Where abouts in Canada do you live? If you're in the GTA, I can recommend a good PC place for you that builds systems. They've been quite fair to me over the years.