What's new

The Great Experiment!

I'm starting a Character Ranking system for I:GAU. I always hated how tier list are mostly opinions from palyer to player, so I will be taking the top 8(or 10) from Tournaments to compile a ranks. Hate it or love it, this is just an experiment to see if a mathematical list will coincide w/ the opinion based ones the pros will eventually put together.

The tournaments I will be following are NLBC, WNF, BnB, ECT,NCR, SCR, CW, Vindication, UFGT, TTT, Evo, and VxG. If there are any I am missing please post a link w/ the top 8(or 10) standings, so that I can update the tier list. Thank you!

How is it done? 1st place gets 7 points and continues to descend until everything after 1 point(7th place) is worth .5 points. If a person uses more than 1 character and they get 2nd place both Characters would get 6 points. I've found every I:GAU tournament that's been held since its release and here is the current list...

The Rankings will be updated after each tournament.

Upcoming Tournaments:

EVO

Season 1 Rankings Update 7/4/ 2013
  1. Black Adam - 303.5 points
  2. Superman - 259.5 points
  3. Aquaman -118.5 points
  4. Green Lantern - 104 points
  5. Batman - 102 points
  6. Deathstroke - 91.5 points
  7. Green Arrow - 76 points
  8. Doomsday - 75 points
  9. Catwoman - 65 points
  10. Solomon Grundy - 55 points
  11. Sinestro - 54 points
  12. Killer Frost - 47 points
  13. Nightwing - 44.5 points
  14. Joker - 32 points
  15. Scorpion - 32 points
  16. Ares - 30.5 points
  17. Cyborg - 29 points
  18. Batgirl - 25.5 points :u2
  19. Wonder Woman - 24 points :d1
  20. Flash - 23 points :d1
  21. Raven - 18 points
  22. Hawkgirl - 15 points
  23. Lex - 10 points
  24. Harley Quinn - 8.5 points :u1
  25. Bane - 8 points :d1
  26. Shazam - 4 points
  27. Lobo - N/A
  28. Zod - N/A

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Great stuff. Though, adding some weighted scores for some tournaments would help. Not all tourneys are equal.

Great stuff. Though, adding some weighted scores for some tournaments would help. Not all tourneys are equal.
If I was doing this for the actual players I would do something like this, but since it's just for the characters I don't think it really needs a weighted system.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Good idea, only trouble I could possibly see with this like other lists is the game is very new, most people barely know the match ups as it is. That aside to me injustice seems very paper rock scissors like, some characters can totally dominate some but have a lot of trouble with others. If you may only face certain characters in tournaments it may skew the ratings. But regardless a neat idea.

Vagrant

Noob
You haven't argued at all. You just simply gave up when someone had a different opinion other than your own.

A tier list is supposed to dictate character strength. A person decides oh Kung Lao, Kabal, and Kenshi are S-Tier so they place them there because they win most of their match ups. Then they go down the line w/ the cast until they feel every character has been properly placed. I'm just using a point system instead of opinion. I guess it could be called a Ranking System more than a tier list if that'd make you happy. Since you're held up over a word.
You're basing your results strictly on tourney performance. Which has WAAAY to many variables... What if REO took sheeva to NCR and won? Well according to your chart sheeva would recieve points to up her viability. Even though we all know she's a terrible character. You can't base tier lists off of tourney performance you have to look at each chars matchups and tools.

You're basing your results strictly on tourney performance. Which has WAAAY to many variables... What if REO took sheeva to NCR and won? Well according to your chart sheeva would recieve points to up her viability. Even though we all know she's a terrible character. You can't base tier lists off of tourney performance you have to look at each chars matchups and tools.
If that was the only tournament Sheeva ever placed in then she'd have 7 measly points while Kung Lao would still have like 250. If Sheeva didn't consistently place high it wouldn't effect the rankings much if at all.

Vagrant

Noob
If that was the only tournament Sheeva ever placed in then she'd have 7 measly points while Kung Lao would still have like 250. If Sheeva didn't consistently place high it wouldn't effect the rankings much if at all.
I was merely giving an example. My point is, there are too many variables and inconsistencies in tournaments to use this method for tier lists. But have at it man. who am I to stop you.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
add ECT5 to that list.....oh and prepare to add the flash the some points afterwards :D

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I was merely giving an example. My point is, there are too many variables and inconsistencies in tournaments to use this method for tier lists. But have at it man. who am I to stop you.
why don't we just clone REO 56 times and have him play all the characters twice(including DLC) then have them play a tournaments out and take the points from there? :REO

Interesting idea. Maybe the points could be spaced out though. Because if a character is popular or w/e but they place 3rd and 5th they'd outweigh another character placing 1st.

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
This thread is dumb. You take away what the players are doing with the characters. Its the players that win the tournaments not he character.
As of now 8 characters arent even usable are not even rated. And the best zoner in the game is ranked last. Its too early to even make lists.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
One final thing.

I'd drop scores after certain dates. A win yesterday is a better indicator than a win a year ago. At some point, you should 'delete' certain scores. For all we know, Black Adam wins all this and dominates the first year but then someone finds some amazing anti-black adam tech and hes bottom tier for the rest and never wins anything but is still represented.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
This is not a tier list.

This is the how many tournament wins a character has.

How many times did Sonya win in tournaments? How many times did Kenshi win in tournaments?

This is not based in MUs (as it should be), it's based on what characters skilled players use.

It's not bad, but I wouldn't call it a tier list.

One final thing.

I'd drop scores after certain dates. A win yesterday is a better indicator than a win a year ago. At some point, you should 'delete' certain scores. For all we know, Black Adam wins all this and dominates the first year but then someone finds some amazing anti-black adam tech and hes bottom tier for the rest and never wins anything but is still represented.
I planned on resetting the numbers after Evo,

This thread is dumb. You take away what the players are doing with the characters. Its the players that win the tournaments not he character.
As of now 8 characters arent even usable are not even rated. And the best zoner in the game is ranked last. Its too early to even make lists.
Thats why it's a living ranking system. If the best zoner turns out to be one of the best characters in the game it will start to show eventually in the list.

cyke_out

Noob
This sort of list is interesting, but is not an accurate account of a character's ability amongst the rest of the cast. You also need to take into account how many player used each character. A character with a higher rate of usage will have a higher chance of placing higher. For example, if 15 people all rock green lantern, and only one guy uses hawkgirl, it doesn't matter if hawkgirl is better than green lantern, the chance of one of those lantern players getting top 8 is better than one lonely hawkgirl.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
It's sad that everything has to turn into a pissing match.

Because of certain people's e-penis ego this interesting thread will be closed due to bitching.

Instead of saying "Good idea, this is interesting and fun to see what we are getting from tourneys" we get "THIS ISN'T A TIER LIST, YOU SUCK, THIS THREAD SUCKS, THIS ISN'T A TIER LIST."

Grow the hell up and have a little fun. Video games are just that, games and people keep forgetting that.

volkmair

Noob
It would be interesting to keep a record of how the values change per tournament to see how character popularity/performance changes over time.