What's new

General/Other - Mournful The Essence of Jade- Mournful Variation Breakdown

*Gasp* can't believe I wasn't tagged....

Anyways, this seems more like a "just for fun" variation for anyone that feels nostalgic for Jade. Her other variations handle the keep away and rushdown game extremely well (so it appears), that this one kinda seems pointless. She's sacrificing her horizontal projectiles which lbsh, are significantly better in 2D fighters than diagonal projectiles. She doesn't gain anything fancy like her Assassin parry for up close and that MB staff grab seems impractical judging by the small ass damage boost it gave
they said kitana will have fans in every Variation, i suppose she has both in mournful. they just didnt show it.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
anyhow, mixing some Kitana's own moves plus some classic Jade moves, I think make this variation kinda deadly .... I think mournful variation it's being overlooked and underestimated, but in practice, gonna be a hell of interesting variation :D

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I think this variation brings absolutely nothing. The other variation, assassin I think, has 1) better projectiles in fans, 2) better air projectile in air fans, and 3) better forward moving special in the dash vs shadow kick. I really can not see why one would use mournful instead. Oh yeah, and there's the parry too.
And @tylerlansdown where the hell is Jade's glow? This is her most distinctive ability.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I think this variation brings absolutely nothing. The other variation, assassin I think, has 1) better projectiles in fans, 2) better air projectile in air fans, and 3) better forward moving special in the dash vs shadow kick. I really can not see why one would use mournful instead. Oh yeah, and there's the parry too.
And @tylerlansdown where the hell is Jade's glow? This is her most distinctive ability.
Like I told others, glow is an ability Jade learned, so there is no way Kitana can have it. She uses her friend's WEAPONS to honor her memory. That's it, that's all.

Tbh looks the worst, the zoning looks good though, the staff hmm well it seemed pretty limited and shadow kick as fast but ex version you should be able to combo off the staff prop up

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Like I told others, glow is an ability Jade learned, so there is no way Kitana can have it. She uses her friend's WEAPONS to honor her memory. That's it, that's all.
Again, this variation is USELESS because there's another one that does the same but better + some more good options. Who cares what she uses if it's useless.

Again, this variation is USELESS because there's another one that does the same but better + some more good options. Who cares what she uses if it's useless.
It's far too early to be making assumptions like that. For all we know, Mournful could be ridiculously good for zoning, or safer than her other variations, or.... etc.

trufenix

bye felicia
If most of the other weapon carrying variations are any indication, she'll have at least a couple changed normals. It does look kinda weird seeing her doing those fan strings with a big extendable staff on her hip.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
anyhow, mixing some Kitana's own moves plus some classic Jade moves, I think make this variation kinda deadly .... I think mournful variation it's being overlooked and underestimated, but in practice, gonna be a hell of interesting variation :D
I agree, the game hasn't even been released and people are already overlooking Mournful. The second I saw the air glaive's I determined the variation looks solid. LBSH, the only reason people think mournful is "gimmicky" or a "terrible variation", is because people on here hate Jade and just don't understand. For all we know, depending on your playstyle, Mournful could be just as good as Royal Storm and Assassin. We don't know yet.

It's far too early to be making assumptions like that. For all we know, Mournful could be ridiculously good for zoning, or safer than her other variations, or.... etc.
Exactly. Well said.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Again, the issue here is that we really haven't seen enough of Mournful to assess what this variation does better than the other two.

My thoughts are that maybe this variation could be good against players who like to turtle. I'm going to assume Kitana's fans whiff on neutral crouching opponents again, so having a projectile that forces them to move (lest they eat all the chip) may work wonders for some MU's.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Looks like I will be primarily using this stance. I get to play Kitana and Jade at the same damn time, woo!
Exactly how I feel.

Again, the issue here is that we really haven't seen enough of Mournful to assess what this variation does better than the other two.

My thoughts are that maybe this variation could be good against players who like to turtle. I'm going to assume Kitana's fans whiff on neutral crouching opponents again, so having a projectile that forces them to move (lest they eat all the chip) may work wonders for some MU's.
I'm in love with the air Glaives. This variation doesn't look "useless" to me.

PizzaMasta

Hellblazer
Jade was pretty much the only female in MK9 whose playstyle fit me, so I'll probably be using Mournful if I have to use Kitana.