What's new

General/Other - Mournful The Essence of Jade- Mournful Variation Breakdown

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.

What we know from the stream as of 02/12/15:

-Glaive projectile: Can be thrown straight, high, or low (player has control of direction).
(MB) Glaive- Enables glaive to retract. Either allows for a combo or free pressure.

-Air Glaive projectile- Diagonal traveling projectile from the air. (Jade did not have this in MK9)
(MB) Air Glaive- Retracts. (More damage, I can't remember if it allows for anything else.)

-Staff Throw- Exact same move from MK9.
(MB) Staff Throw- Props the opponent up on the staff and then performs a stiff looking flip kick (lol). (More damage)

-Shadow Kick- Looks to be the same from MK9, unsure if it's safe/neutral.
(MB) Shadow Kick- Adds a staff like jab at the end of the move (much like Jades 122 string in MK9).

What we are still wondering in regards to Mournful:
-Flash? Glow? Please?
-U3? (if so, it better hit mid)
-B2? Any normals that incorporate the staff?

@Arkane Slim
@Eldriken
@EarlyReflections
@Spinky
@xWildx
@TakeAChance
@Goldy
@Any other fellow Jade players

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
I was surprised there was no overhead staff slam move demonstrated...

A small part of me is hoping for a Jade/green alt costume

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Did they say that the air Glaive special is overhead? I know they showed a low hitting variant.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I love that you used that gif lol, I'm still looking forward to seeing what normals she has in that variation though.

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
Bummed Jade is gone. Like seriously. But the fact she has her iconic moves in this variation, is a plus.

Her win pose in this variation should pay tribute to Jade, by doing her sexy win pose in MK9.

With the laugh and all! HA HA

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
*Gasp* can't believe I wasn't tagged....

Anyways, this seems more like a "just for fun" variation for anyone that feels nostalgic for Jade. Her other variations handle the keep away and rushdown game extremely well (so it appears), that this one kinda seems pointless. She's sacrificing her horizontal projectiles which lbsh, are significantly better in 2D fighters than diagonal projectiles. She doesn't gain anything fancy like her Assassin parry for up close and that MB staff grab seems impractical judging by the small ass damage boost it gave

Jade was based upon a counter zoner archetype:
Projectile immunity and shadow glow --> midrange attacks and punish opportunities---> weak offense.

Kitana probably won't have immunities,b2 or u3, so gameplay changes. The air boomerang seems cool! I think see is designed to be more of a zoner or offensive.

I suppose in 2 months we'll know the truth :D

The mournful variation seems like a gimmick and this arsenal doesn't fit Kitana at all IMO.
Also I can't believe you people who want a green alt for Kitana. A staff and a costume are enough to make you happy?:mad::mad::mad:

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I actually preferred the concept art outfits better.

Jade was based upon a counter zoner archetype:
Projectile immunity and shadow glow --> midrange attacks and punish opportunities---> weak offense.

Kitana probably won't have immunities,b2 or u3, so gameplay changes. The air boomerang seems cool! I think see is designed to be more of a zoner or offensive.

I suppose in 2 months we'll know the truth :D

The mournful variation seems like a gimmick and this arsenal doesn't fit Kitana at all IMO.
Also I can't believe you people who want a green alt for Kitana. A staff and a costume are enough to make you happy?:mad::mad::mad:
I know, I feel your pain brother/sister. The variation may be "gimicky" in nature, but I found it to look quite solid. Is it as good as Assassin or Royal Storm? Probably not. But I'm starting to feel more appreciative that we have an homage to Jade and the variation is strong. Idk...we will have to see.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I hope she has atleast one string that has staff in it, just makes that 1 staff move looks redundant (from a visual perspective)

I actually preferred the concept art outfits better.

I know, I feel your pain brother/sister. The variation may be "gimicky" in nature, but I found it to look quite solid. Is it as good as Assassin or Royal Storm? Probably not. But I'm starting to feel more appreciative that we have an homage to Jade and the variation is strong. Idk...we will have to see.
You are right… I'll just have a denial against Kitana in the beginning I'm sure.:D brother btw