What's new

The DLC Skins Rant

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
I'm one of the people who LOVE Klassic skins. The UMK3 versions of the ninjas is my favorite look for those characters. So it's not the idea I have issue with, it's the execution. They look horrendous.
well you got what you wanted, the "classic" skins are just that- a classic look at those outfits. If you wanted a updated look of those outfits, you got that too with the vanilla outfits. so.........
they look like crap now because they looked like crap back then.

jharris

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers
cant stop laughin at the scorpion infared skin, awful idea imo i do not want to have that on my screen.

i think the sub and reptile klassic skins look bad too, along with all the brazil skins. although i dont like ermacs new design i think the pharoah skin looks pretty cool and mk1 kano looks good too

StormGoddess

And just to add, i just can't get with a Scorpion player complaining about 1 of the 8 outfits that he has. I play Jacqui who only has 1 semi interesting outfit. Anyway some of your points are valid tho....

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yeah, the skins are iffy for the most part. Yeah you still bought them, so no I don't really see a reason why they would think people didn't like the design choices.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I still lol at Cassies long neck from time to time. Even though when i play brawler i always pick it. Fits the variation ya know.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
well you got what you wanted, the "classic" skins are just that- a classic look at those outfits. If you wanted a updated look of those outfits, you got that too with the vanilla outfits. so.........
they look like crap now because they looked like crap back then.
Then why did the Klassic skins look so good in MK9? Your logic is flawed and you're missing the point. From what you're saying, they might as well just port in the sprites from the old games and call them skins. They're supposed to be updated versions of the old skins made to fit in with the current game.....like they did with MK9.

Example:

Absolutely badass.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
My bad. Had no idea there was a specific DLC section of the forum.
I also changed the title of the thread to something more fitting...

All of the ranting needs to stay in this thread (unless there's another rant thread that I'm not aware of)

John Grizzly

Yeah, the skins are iffy for the most part. Yeah you still bought them, so no I don't really see a reason why they would think people didn't like the design choices.
Well, I bought the Kombat Pack prior to seeing these steaming turds they call skins. So yeah...I suppose I did buy them and that's on me for trusting them to put some effort into them, I guess. I won't be buying any of the additional skin packs, though.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Themes I don't have a problem with, it's a really cool idea, but the execution and the character choices could be way better.

Don't introduce new characters just to bury them in terms appeal.

D'vorah is one the best character designs in the game, you even have her killing fan favorites, yet she gets no love.

Cassie is the new protagonist FFS, where is her dLC ?

jharris

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers
Then why did the Klassic skins look so good in MK9? Your logic is flawed and you're missing the point. From what you're saying, they might as well just port in the sprites from the old games and call them skins. They're supposed to be updated versions of the old skins made to fit in with the current game.....like they did with MK9.

Example:

Absolutely badass.
that ermac skin is so fucking good, why couldnt the klassic skings be like that again. the textured coloured bits and the triangular shoulders look sick. also that style skin will look so bad on ermac now that he is permantly floating

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Boring costumes and the inability to apply different colors is really getting annoying. KOFXIII (2013) practically allows you to redesign your characters. MKX has been a huge disappointment on all fronts. I was so excited for this game...

StormGoddess

Example:

Absolutely badass.
John i get what you are saying and i told you I agreed. My point is you guys wanted classic, NRS gave "classic" you guys wanted ninja, they gave you ninja. As far as NRS is concerned, they are doing exactly what they fans are asking. LOL.
My second point is if you are complaining about Kotal not getting more skins, i feel ya. You complaining about a ninja skin ............:rolleyes:.
bottom line is if people didn't buy them NRS wont make them right?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
John i get what you are saying and i told you I agreed. My point is you guys wanted classic, NRS gave "classic" you guys wanted ninja, they gave you ninja. As far as NRS is concerned, they are doing exactly what they fans are asking. LOL.
My second point is if you are complaining about Kotal not getting more skins, i feel ya. You complaining about a ninja skin ............:rolleyes:.
Sure they did... they gave us classic skins that look terrible.

Whereas, in previous games... they weren't terrible. It's ok to complain about quality.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Sure they did... they gave us classic skins that look terrible.

Whereas, in previous games... they weren't terrible. It's ok to complain about quality.
Quality. That's exactly the right word. All of these skin ideas were fine. The quality was lacking. Someone looked at Carl Weathers and thought, fuck it, just put his head on Tournament Jax. Nevermind the cyber arms. Someone in Quality Control must have been drunk to allow that through along with play doh ninjas.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Boring costumes and the inability to apply different colors is really getting annoying. KOFXIII (2013) practically allows you to redesign your characters. MKX has been a huge disappointment on all fronts. I was so excited for this game...
Exactly, I'd much rather prefer color options. At least my character would have some type of costume difference.

John Grizzly

I'd love to Kotal to have another skin, as his alt is complete trash, but I know that's not going to happen.

NRS should JUST ONCE try releasing a skin pack they took time on that includes the NEW CHARACTERS. I'd happily drop $10 or so on a pack that included good alt skins for Kotal, Takeda, Cassie, Erron or any of the new characters, even though I only play Kotal from that group.

Again....my point wasn't that NRS didn't listen to us in regards to the Klassic ninja skins, it's that they made them poorly. If you order a burger and it tastes like shit, you have a right to complain. You don't have to sit there and just eat the shitty burger and be happy because "Hey, it's a burger! That's what I ordered! Can't complain!"

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, in the design interviews with illustrators and concept teams, they have said the skins are designed and made by the artists that have finished their other tasks, that when a project gets closer to the end some artists become free from their previous tasks and can then start making skins. These are the people that are otherwise done with the game and have nothing left to do, so they fill their time coming up with ideas and making the skins. I don't think they set out to make a certain number, and they don't intend to give every character an equal number. NRS sees any skin that you get as a bonus, not a requirement, so they aren't dedicating a ton of studio resources to it.

What does this mean for this thread and the opinion that they aren't great? Probably nothing, but this is their process. I'm not even gonna tell you to be happy with what you've got, cause you don't have to be, but this is how they handle skins, and this is why you have varied quality and varied numbers for characters.