What's new

General/Other The Deathstroke Problem

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
As most of you are aware, at low standards of play Deathstroke is S+++++++, new players are completely free to use of a single special move, over and over for the entire match.

Now, they all want him nerfed through the ground. We don't want balance decisions even slightly coloured by low level concerns. But we do want new players to enjoy the game enough to put the time in required to become proficient. As it stands they won't, they'll lose over and over to one move and give up.

There is a solution; put information in the online lobbies about how to deal with basic zoning. Have a scroll bar along the bottom or put it in the loading screens.

"To overcome purely projectile based gameplay hold down to block, then dash forward immediately after blocking, repeat until you've closed the distance."

"Black Adam can be used to beat simple keep-away tactics, it's as easy as jumping and divekicking."

Crucially we don't just tell them how to beat DS by working twice as hard as the "spammer" but how to do it using just as little effort and thought.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I think it would be easier to recommend strong picks against him.

Black Adam, Aquaman, Raven, etc
You can recommend all you want lol.... that is not going to help..... you can tell a new player to use Kenshi against my Johnny Cage and I'm still going to rape them.

It is all about practice.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
That is all I got out of this post lol. You can tell someone how to get around zoning all you want however application of it is much harder.
That's why we need to tell them the absolute simplest ways. As much as it now angers me that new players go online before learning even basic strings, I did the same with MK9, and it really is in the community's interest to help them.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I remember when I first went online on MK9. I was so free to Noob Saibot I felt like punching a hole through my TV because I couldn't dash or jump without being sent back to the other side of the screen. Seriously. New players might get discouraged to play because of it, but if you like the game enough (like I did) you will learn how to overcome that. If they don't want to learn, we don't need them in this community. That's just my opinion, though.

But, also, the way they could advertise pointers in lobbies, matchmaking, etc. would be very nice. Tekken does it. I would like to think that it's very useful for new players. But I wouldn't recommend teaching newbies how to counter-pick. They will not learn any real MUs that way.

Use Cyborg and trade with Deathstroke, mix in some ex air blasts. Eventually the Deathstroke player will realize that he can't trade with Cyborg

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
You can recommend all you want lol.... that is not going to help..... you can tell a new player to use Kenshi against my Johnny Cage and I'm still going to rape them.

It is all about practice.
We're not talking about telling them to pick Kenshi versus your Cage, but to pick Kenshi versus a cage who just presses F3,3 over and over.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Use Cyborg and trade with Deathstroke, mix in some ex air blasts. Eventually the Deathstroke player will realize that he can't trade with Cyborg
Beginners aren't thinking about that when they play. lbsh... They are going to want to play with their favorite. It's not like they strive to get good like us and look up frame data and how to play an MU so that it's in your favor or better than what it is. They just want to play to play and of course they want to win without having any knowledge whatsoever.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I remember when I first went online on MK9. I was so free to Noob Saibot I felt like punching a hole through my TV because I couldn't dash or jump without being sent back to the other side of the screen. Seriously. New players might get discouraged to play because of it, but if you like the game enough (like I did) you will learn how to overcome that. If they don't want to learn, we don't need them in this community. That's just my opinion, though.

But, also, the way they could advertise pointers in lobbies, matchmaking, etc. would be very nice. Tekken does it. I would like to think that it's very useful for new players. But I wouldn't recommend teaching newbies how to counter-pick. They will not learn any real MUs that way.
great post , lots of us had to adapt and improve with mk 9 , it was my first competitive fighter .. i fought and fought and eventually i was feeling myself and playing competently , if they dont wanna improve nothins gonna help that

Fractured_Shadow

Beginners aren't thinking about that when they play. lbsh... They are going to want to play with their favorite. It's not like they strive to get good like us and look up frame data and how to play an MU so that it's in your favor or better than what it is. They just want to play to play and of course they want to win without having any knowledge whatsoever.
Don't forget the part where they message you about how you need to (this is my personal favorite) "Stop spamming combos MAAAAN!!!"

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for the day, teach the man to counter pick and he'll scrub for a lifetime.

In all seriousness this is the right approach. Teaching will hopefully lead to understanding, understanding will lead to people having more fun, which will lead to better players leveling up together. The trouble is trying to teach someone that doesn't want to learn, and unfortunately in the online realm kids aren't going to want to learn, they usually just want to know the way to beat that one thing, which is why they don't level up.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Don't forget the part where they message you about how you need to (this is my personal favorite) "Stop spamming combos MAAAAN!!!"
I could compose a life story on that. Don't get me started... Like I have to switch combos to be fancy for you when I'm trying to do the most effective ones to win... plz...

Fractured_Shadow

PL was playing yesterday and having some trouble getting through the zoning with certain characters. PL helped test the game.

Mildly retarded? :)
The only character he had trouble getting around the zoning with was Lex.... did you see what happened when he picked Doomsday? My dick is still hard from that.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The only character he had trouble getting around the zoning with was Lex.... did you see what happened when he picked Doomsday? My dick is still hard from that.
That's not true. He was zoned out with a few chars, until he went to Superman and Doomsday.

Deathstroke's zoning is a bit different than 'typical zoning' for 2 reasons:
1) The multiple hits break almost all armor, meaning that trying to armor through has problems
2) The fact that he can add the launcher on to the end of the machinegun as an AA, punishes you for jumping the projectile in certain cases.

He also has regular strings that put you back at fullscreen for free.

Doesn't mean it's impossible, but people shouldn't talk like everyone who has trouble staying in on a good deathstroke is an idiot or can't play the game.

Fractured_Shadow

That's not true. It was a few chars, until he went to Superman and Doomsday.
Nah man... he was doing alright with NW against that zoning... granted it wasn't a bloodbath like it was with Doomsday, but it was far from a blowout.... Though the only characters I saw him use was NW, Lex, Superman, and Doomsday.

This is where you learn how to use training mode to beat this type of play instead of just beating up a dummy. If someone is a bad zoner they will spam ranged abilities all crazy and not know how to escape when you close the gap.