What's new

Tech The Corner of Death Vortex

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I hope you guys find the name clever. Corner of Death cuz Deathstroke, and the opponent is probably going to die here. Abbreviates to CoD because Coddfish helped me come up with this dirt. Plus, I’ve been told many times to go play CoD from my hatemail :p

Coddfish noted that if at any time you wish to redirect your combo more towards the corner, you can dash under the opponent and do 1, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip after an F3 or B1U2 starter. If you are close to the corner already and you want a simpler combo you can simply dash forwards and Sword Flip after B1U2 or F3.

I should have done this more in the video, but in practice, you may want to charge F3 when doing this vortex. This will allow you to vary the timing on your F3 easily and your opponent will be forced to guess at when you will release it.

Something important that I couldn’t really fit into the video worth knowing: hard knockdowns SCALE. The longevity of a hard knockdown can be varied, so it might throw off the timing of your desired F3 follow up. I can’t describe the timing myself honestly, you’ll just have to get a feel for the visual cues to know when to F3. Pay attention to how quickly the opponent raises and drops their feet after being knocked down. This may give you an eyeball timing of when to attack.

Another thing Coddfish mentioned is a comfort method. After crossing up with F3 and switching sides, if walking backwards and using 1, 323 doesn’t feel quite right, you can also forward dash and do 323 for 1% less damage. Be careful however, because if you get the odd crossup in which you DON’T switch sides, you will back dash, and not be able to 323 in time.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Glad you like it guys.

Just to make it clear also, you can make this corner trap a 1 frame unreactable vortex if you do it perfectly. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but let's say the opponent's getting up animation is 15 frames. Hitting F3 on frames 1-10 give you a crossup, hitting F3 on frames 11-15 gives you a non-crossup.

So if you F3 on either frame 10 or 11, your opponent has ONE frame to react (inhumane). I know I might not have nailed the absolute PERFECT timing in the video, but you can see that they are going to HAVE to guess if you practice this enough.

Even when imperfect, the corner pressure will probably get to the opponent and open them up.

And suck it all you nerf huggers who say we don't know our character outside of guns.
SUCK IT.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Good stuff, you should point out against Green lantern (and maybe more, I only discovered it on him) that if he wakes up with Lantern's might, he can turn around and grab you. So GL has a different timing compared to everyone else.

Also, if you feel really uncomfortable hit confirming after a cross up f3, walk forward and hit 1 twice. You can still confirm and it gives you the maximum damage for the cross up. Good work strokers. ;D

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Another thing Coddfish mentioned is a comfort method. After crossing up with F3 and switching sides, if walking backwards and using 1, 323 doesn’t feel quite right, you can also forward dash and do 323 for 1% less damage. Be careful however, because if you get the odd crossup in which you DON’T switch sides, you will back dash, and not be able to 323 in time.

Been using the cross up from day 1, its good tech!

Best combos Ive found that are reliable no matter which side they bounce too after the f3 cross up is...

f3, u2, 323, f23~df3... 33% <-----use this if they bounce towards the center

f3, u2, 1, 323, f23~df3.... 34% <-----use this if they bounce back into the corner

If you jump straight up with a up 2, you can always catch them with the 323.

If they do bounce back to the center of the screen and you do the u2, it looks as though they get pushed to far away from the u2, but the 323 still connects very easily. Both combos are very reliable and most likely his highest meterless damage from the f3 launcher without interactables.

If you want to burn 1 bar of meter, you can increase the damage like so...

f3, u2, 323, 12~df1 MB.... 37% <-----use this if they bounce towards the center of the screen..

f3, u2, 3~db3 MB, 323, f23~df3.... 40% <-----use this if they bounce back into the corner (very easy)

These are the two most reliable 1 bar combos after the cross up imo. All combos, both meterless and 1 bar, use the up 2 tech. Its a safe tech that will catch your opponent no matter which side they bounce after the f3.

The most ive found after a f3 in the corner that uses 1 bar is this..

f3, ub2, 32~db3 MB, 323, f23~df3..... 41%

and

f3, u2, 12~db3 MB, 323, f23~df3..... 41%

The first combo isn't reliable after a cross up f3, because you have to use a ub2 instead of an u2. The ub2 will sometimes miss after the cross up depending on wich side they bounce too.

The 2nd combo is quite hard on normal characters, but easier on bigs..

D

Deleted member 9158

BUT MUH LOW GUNZ!!!!

Nice stuff here, character is still good don't worry guys.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Good stuff, you should point out against Green lantern (and maybe more, I only discovered it on him) that if he wakes up with Lantern's might, he can turn around and grab you. So GL has a different timing compared to everyone else.

Also, if you feel really uncomfortable hit confirming after a cross up f3, walk forward and hit 1 twice. You can still confirm and it gives you the maximum damage for the cross up. Good work strokers. ;D
The thing is, in humane reaction time, it'll be hard for the GL player to even get that move out. DS switches side as they wake up, so if they were inputting DB2 (idk what the actual command is off the top of my head), it'll turn into DF2 as they do it.

Kibaris

Noob
Nice tech dude, credits to coddfish as well. Deathstroke's f+3 is awesome, new tech is revealed with it every day! Btw sick song at the end of the video! It is from Sonic 1 - Marble Zone, sick remix... Can you pm me a download link for it plz? :)

ryublaze

Noob
Hey Mikman360 great stuff. I'm messing with this in the lab and you don't have to walk back if they launch to the other side. You can just wait a bit and do standing 1 and they'll be put back into the corner. Though walking back might help, it just looks kinda weird how DS turns around lol.

TONY-T I'm trying the first 2 combos and they're doing 30% and 28%. Did the patch nerf his combo damage? The f3, 1, 323, f23, sword flip combo is giving me 31%.

EDIT: Nevermind I was doing d2 instead of u2 lol

Kibaris

Noob
Hey Mikman360 great stuff. I'm messing with this in the lab and you don't have to walk back if they launch to the other side. You can just wait a bit and do standing 1 and they'll be put back into the corner. Though walking back might help, it just looks kinda weird how DS turns around lol.

TONY-T I'm trying the first 2 combos and they're doing 30% and 28%. Did the patch nerf his combo damage? The f3, 1, 323, f23, sword flip combo is giving me 31%.
Hey dude, u need to do an u2 after the f3 in order to get the 34%. f3, u2, 1, 323, f23, sword flip.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Glad you like it. And yeah I noticed that you can actually just do 1 and randomly get them to stay in the corner (it's WEIRD), but the timing is a bit more strict from what I noticed, and a bit less consistent overall. I'd rather walk back a tiny bit to be sure :p

TONY-T

Mad scientist

Here are some new f3 cross over corner combos. These combos focus on keeping your opponent in the corner after the cross over.

The combos use a dash under tech. Their are 4 sample combos.

1. meterless

2. 1 bar

3. stage transition setup

4. stage interaction setup

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
This is what the community needs to do instead of crying all the time. Great find, mix yo game up all you DS mainers!

And suck it all you nerf huggers who say we don't know our character outside of guns.
SUCK IT.

lol, What did you know before some of these discoveries?

trolling aside,

wouldn't that be something is if NRS nerfed him to force people to learn his upclose game? then they plan on adding it back in?

Blizzard did a similar tactic where one thing was really strong early game, but it wasn't breaking the game. Well they patched it out aka nerfed it. Pissed off a ton of terrans, forced them to find ways around the problem than simply using that tactic, and they evolved the game outside of that. They RE-introduced said nerf and gave them back their tool. But it grew the game quicker by temporarily nerfing something.

I'm not saying this is what NRS is aiming for. I doubt it is. But it's something to think about.

Perhaps they felt his upclose game wasn't being explored enough because of how good his zoning tools were. And they want to balance that aspect and give him back his zoning after we explore it.

Just food for thought.

I don't agree with the nerf, but if their GOAL is this. and they plan to give you your lowgunshot back AFTER a while? then I'm fine with it.

regardless, Nice find :D

Coddfish

Noob
Here are some new f3 cross over corner combos. These combos focus on keeping your opponent in the corner after the cross over.

The combos use a dash under tech. Their are 4 sample combos.

1. meterless

2. 1 bar

3. stage transition setup

4. stage interaction setup

Sweet video Tony. I have a couple of questions though.
1. How are you getting DBMB to connect after 12 on the transition setup? Is it big character only? I was trying against Batgirl, and could never get it to hit, the B3's just too slow.

2. In the interaction setup, is there a way to reliably make the 323 go under? It seems to be pretty random for me, making testing this setup hard. Also, do you know if it would work for other bomb interactables that don't have that freeze? That's what I was trying to test

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Sweet video Tony. I have a couple of questions though.
1. How are you getting DMB to connect after 12 on the transition setup? Is it big character only? I was trying against Batgirl, and could never get it to hit, the B3's just too slow.

2. In the interaction setup, is there a way to reliably make the 323 go under? It seems to be pretty random for me, making testing this setup hard. Also, do you know if it would work for other bomb interactables that don't have that freeze? That's what I was trying to test

I've yet to test that first question, but it DOES work with normal satchel bombs. You have to use 323 such that the opponent is as high as possible when they get hit by it. This allows DS to travel under them.

Coddfish

Noob
Well that's good to know! I've been trying to find ways to force people into bomb combo setups, but nothing I've tried so far has worked.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
What I want to know is what causes different types of hitstun for stage interactables.

Have you seen the pipe in Arkham Asylum not freeze people and knock them down instead? Or the turbine in Ferris not knock the opponent up and instead just hard knock down them?
I know I have.

Coddfish

Noob
What I want to know is what causes different types of hitstun for stage interactables.

Have you seen the pipe in Arkham Asylum not freeze people and knock them down instead? Or the turbine in Ferris not knock the opponent up and instead just hard knock down them?
I know I have.

I haven't seen those, but I have seen bombs just knock people on the ground right away instead of popping them up. Seems to happen if you get a HKD and then plant a bomb to catch them on wakeup; this makes me wonder if there's some sort of mechanic to prevent interactables from being used as combo starters when they can't be escaped.