What's new

The Conclusion of MKXL at CEO 2016

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Truth is though that most of the people talking about "Just learn to beat REO's Kabal" couldn't actually beat REOs Kabal even after labbing. And half the others just picked up a pocket Kabal/Kenshi themselves.

After all the people beating their chests about training to beat Kabal and Cyrax, aside from maybe 1-2 people, those 2 characters cleaned out almost every Top 8 we had.

Because at the end of the day, it was still a massive advantage.
REO showed everyone how to beat Kabal in his YouTube videos. A year later, when f0xy was comboing his dash cancels, people were like "wait, you can do that?"

Truth is though that most of the people talking about "Just learn to beat REO's Kabal" couldn't actually beat REOs Kabal even after labbing. And half the others just picked up a pocket Kabal/Kenshi themselves.

After all the people beating their chests about training to beat Kabal and Cyrax, aside from maybe 1-2 people, those 2 characters cleaned out almost every Top 8 we had.

REO showed everyone how to beat Kabal in his YouTube videos. A year later, when f0xy was comboing his dash cancels, people were like "wait, you can do that?"

I didn t play MK9 or follow it but I m gonna have to old baby you

shura30

Shura
Many years ago, yeah. I got better by getting involved and traveling a lot. Not whinning for nerfs or complaining about characters being too dominant in tournaments on TYM.
so what?
there's 2 separate moments as player:
1 - playing
2 - being involved in the community

you don't know how many hours people puts into playing rather than posting here
for what you could possibly know I am typing this while taking a dump
still your point doesn't stand because all you do is shutting opinions based on the fact that you don't see all tym members on tournament stream

A) You would be right, except most of the character forums are dead and most online people contributions are shit threads and whinning about anything. The new trend is revisionist history by people who didn't even play the games competitively.
sub-forums are dead because no matter the tech there's characters that can shut down completely some others without even trying
also, the game is fairly simple, combo system is simple, inputs are simple too
after more than a year its highly unlikely groundbreaking stuff will be found
unless, you know, a patch drops which is what people is trying to ask

other than that I believe everyone's dream is to be able to pick any character against everyone because patching exists

whining tho is symptomatic of an unhappy playerbase
given the possibility of current year I'd rather not deal with crap that takes few megs of download to be fixed and quality of life improved

B) Good tech is good tech no matter who posts it. People like SimSim are fondly remembered because their stuff was legit, despite living in Norway and not traveling. Same for every tech monster that actually understood the games.
and why can't this apply to tier or matchup discussion?
beside shitposters that exists and not me or you can do something about it
there's walls of text in threads with legit stuff that, according to your opening statement, are worth shit because coming from no names

does shitposting exist on tym?yes
does fantastic contribution from no-names exist on tym?yes

faces and medals, simple as that

C) If you can't travel or play against decent players, then I'm gonna take your opinion with a grain of salt. If people have played you online and you clearly don't know what you're doing, I'm gonna consider you even less. If you duck, I literally stop even seeing what you write as language. There's plenty of legit online people that are busy becoming good instead of being here arguing about top 8s.
told you above, one can play the game 8 hours and spend same amount posting opinions here
or before the next post you want a ft10 to see whose opinion is better?

D) I've been here for many years. I've seen people come and go. There's a right way of becoming a respected community member. Whinning on TYM is not one of them.
again,
split community into separate sets
it's the internet, beside moderation everyone is entitled to an opinion
read the post without looking at the name, you'd be surprised by how many contributions you're missing on

but at last if you want a clear perspective on the situation just look at the numbers
and I'd like to see how the competition will go once and if NRS stops pushing this ridiculous kind of money into online tournaments

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
so what?
there's 2 separate moments as player:
1 - playing
2 - being involved in the community

you don't know how many hours people puts into playing rather than posting here
for what you could possibly know I am typing this while taking a dump
still your point doesn't stand because all you do is shutting opinions based on the fact that you don't see all tym members on tournament stream
You can clearly see when someone knows their shit or not. You're arguing something completely different than the topic at hand. And yeah doesn't matter if you spend 10 or 1000 hours digging a hole, you're still not gonna find gold if you don't know where to dig.
sub-forums are dead because no matter the tech there's characters that can shut down completely some others without even trying
also, the game is fairly simple, combo system is simple, inputs are simple too
after more than a year its highly unlikely groundbreaking stuff will be found
unless, you know, a patch drops which is what people is trying to ask

other than that I believe everyone's dream is to be able to pick any character against everyone because patching exists

whining tho is symptomatic of an unhappy playerbase
given the possibility of current year I'd rather not deal with crap that takes few megs of download to be fixed and quality of life improved
Literally 2hrs ago NoBrows posted the optimized meterless combo with alien with 2 Acid Bloods. In MK9 we found the Toasty inputs more than 2 years after the game came out. Even with Injustice, a lot of character forums were thriving a year after the game came out, and the character communities were pretty close. We were finding stuff with Green Arrow April of 2014. Problem is, most of the tech monster left a while ago, and most tournament players won't post anymore because, surprise surprise, no one wants to deal with the usual shitposters.

You cannot pick any character against every character. Anyone who thinks that doesn't understand fighting games. There's characters meant to be good in specific situations vs specific character archetypes.

I would agree if the competitive playerbase was whinning, but most of the whinning comes from people who don't play competitively. No, playing on ranked online doesn't count as competitive. You know what the competitive players are doing? Winning money at ESL, traveling and having lots of fun. Combo Breaker was probably one of the best tournaments I've ever been to and I heard CEO was a blast as well. Right now tournaments are amazing.

And let it be clear, it doesn't matter if they patch the top 5 (which I don't oppose), but the usual suspects will whine either way. Didn't we have Stamatis posting that Goro's punchwalk and Reptile's Elbow dash were broken? HA
and why can't this apply to tier or matchup discussion?
beside shitposters that exists and not me or you can do something about it
there's walls of text in threads with legit stuff that, according to your opening statement, are worth shit because coming from no names

does shitposting exist on tym?yes
does fantastic contribution from no-names exist on tym?yes

faces and medals, simple as that
No one has learned anything from Tier lists. They're just dumb arguments from people who obviously haven't had top level experience with every character. VERY few people can say they do, not even I have, especially considering this game has more than 90 different playstyles.

Shitposters do exist but it's a shame that the community went to praising good contributions to entertaining people who just post their opinion for the sake of doing it, no matter how clueless they are about the subject.
told you above, one can play the game 8 hours and spend same amount posting opinions here
or before the next post you want a ft10 to see whose opinion is better?
As I said, you usually can tell when somebody knows what they're talking about. I'd love to FT10 you but you're in Italy apparently.
again,
split community into separate sets
it's the internet, beside moderation everyone is entitled to an opinion
read the post without looking at the name, you'd be surprised by how many contributions you're missing on

but at last if you want a clear perspective on the situation just look at the numbers
and I'd like to see how the competition will go once and if NRS stops pushing this ridiculous kind of money into online tournaments
If you had been here as long as your account says, you'd know that we never had that kind of money, yet the tournament scene still thrived. It;s pretty obvious most of us don't travel for money (and LBSH 200k in prizes and the Capcom heads didn't care, so I'm pretty sure the money is not it).

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
@RM Cossner it's not the community's responsibility to defend and support a game that isn't enjoyable. If NRS makes a game that doesn't suck ass, I'll spend my money to go out and play it. Just like I did with MK9 (and even Injustice, ugh).

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
@RM Cossner it's not the community's responsibility to defend and support a game that isn't enjoyable. If NRS makes a game that doesn't suck ass, I'll spend my money to go out and play it. Just like I did with MK9 (and even Injustice, ugh).
The community supports the game. Otherwise CB and CEO would've been ghost towns. They weren't. Matter of fact most of the tournaments this year were great except like 1. You haven't supported the games. You went to 1 tournament and didn't even do well. All you have done since is crap on the games non-stop while being completely unremarkable in them. How about you learn the games first?

trufenix

bye felicia
hypocrisy; trashing mkx/inj for having the same 5-6 chars in top 8 while celebrating mk9 which only had 5-6 viable characters.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
There will always be top tiers and the best players will use them. The longer the life of the game goes the more people will just use the best characters because why not. When there is a lot of money on the line you would be dumb not to.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
The community supports the game. Otherwise CB and CEO would've been ghost towns. They weren't. Matter of fact most of the tournaments this year were great except like 1. You haven't supported the games. You went to 1 tournament and didn't even do well. All you have done since is crap on the games non-stop while being completely unremarkable in them. How about you learn the games first?
So is your goal here to be such a toxic person that you prevent people from going to offline tournaments? Because lol I go offline and you're still shitting on me. Sounds like you're just upset that your argument doesn't hold water.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
There will always be top tiers and the best players will use them. The longer the life of the game goes the more people will just use the best characters because why not. When there is a lot of money on the line you would be dumb not to.
You're correct but you're not arguing to the correct issue. The pot monster is the one who's funding the top players. Without a game that they find fun/competitive enough to enter, then there's no money on the line.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
So is your goal here to be such a toxic person that you prevent people from going to offline tournaments? Because lol I go offline and you're still shitting on me. Sounds like you're just upset that your argument doesn't hold water.
Last and only tournament you went to happened almost 4 years ago, and you didn't even do well lol, from there the only thing you've done is whine about Injustice and MKX. It's not gonna change for Injustice 2. We don't need that attitude.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Last and only tournament you went to happened almost 4 years ago, and you didn't even do well lol, from there the only thing you've done is whine about Injustice and MKX. It's not gonna change for Injustice 2. We don't need that attitude.
MLG Anaheim was in 2014. You can talk all the shit you want, but attending your backyard locals and hanging out at people's houses isn't doing jack for the community.

shura30

Shura
And yeah doesn't matter if you spend 10 or 1000 hours digging a hole, you're still not gonna find gold if you don't know where to dig.
your statement is still superficial
you're basically shitting on people claiming they're not worth to dig the hole, no matter the location

Problem is, most of the tech monster left a while ago, and most tournament players won't post anymore because, surprise surprise, no one wants to deal with the usual shitposters.
yep, because after a year we still need topics on GM's corner setups or anti-wakeup tech
or each sub-forum doesn't have in-depth stickies
alient tech is to be expected since the character came way after the original roster, obviously

You cannot pick any character against every character. Anyone who thinks that doesn't understand fighting games. There's characters meant to be good in specific situations vs specific character archetypes.
you're mixing up topics again
while I'm in game, I'd never pick say kotal against GM
but here on the boards?I'll try and convince anyone that is a shitty matchup that could be improved via patching

Didn't we have Stamatis posting that Goro's punchwalk and Reptile's Elbow dash were broken? HA
so what?we had the whole abysmall thing going for days

If you had been here as long as your account says, you'd know that we never had that kind of money, yet the tournament scene still thrived.
you're just seeing the tip of the iceberg
I get it, you finally managed to compete around the world and you believe everything revolves around this accomplishment
but the game's lifespan is not fueled only by majors

I'll try and find a us copy of the game tho
so after I win the ft10 I will come here and say pigs fly for you to acknowledge

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
It's kind of gross when people say "oh man Scar saved the top 8 with that Sonya".

It could have easily been 3 Alien's and 3 Sonya's or whatever. She's on that level. Would Foxy have saved the top 8 if Semiij happened to play Demolition instead of Piercing?

Semiij is a god btw. I've lost to this guy like 14 times in online tournaments with only 2 wins. Him finally getting a top 8 helps my ego recover from the beatings lol. Good shit.

WarlordRenegade

Founder of Team Renegade
Nope. People thought the same with KP2 and it made the game worse. KP3 will probably have the same effect if they added one. Which IMO they wont since they made a complete edition of the game.
It never said anywhere on MKXL complete edition, and even if it did that means complete edition at that current time. That doesn't mean they are forbidden to add another dlc pack lol. Besides that Ed boon has been leading up to it the last few weeks so don't be surprised

WarlordRenegade

Founder of Team Renegade
Aliens and Mileenas everywhere at CEO. Well. KP3 we know who's dead first.
Something needs to happen to those characters, they don't need to be killed off but they need some type of minor overall nerf, it's just way too much of an uphill battle for 90% of the cast to beat them

The first paragraph I agree with wholeheartedly. But honestly, they are the model community at this point in time for the FGC.

The Mk community would be hype if we didn't see the exact same things in the top 8. We would love to see some player diversity more than anything alongside character diversity. There should be literally no reason why we see some of the very best players in the community only use one character as if that was the "norm". I understand the idea of "playing to win" but there are more characters out there just outside the top tiers that do just as good as Alien or Piercing Mileena! Hell, if you do use those characters, use the other variations instead! There's really no excuse for top players using the same old strategies in order to win.

Granted I get the community is the one who's in charge but it's the top players responsibility to maintain that excitement. It's almost like wrestling in a way: The wrestlers job are to put on a good show and entertain us, the paying, viewing crowd (only the MKX fans aren't paying and are watching for free so that factors into them not enjoying something rather quickly).

The last one is "i know, i know".
This game has not been fleshed out yet. To see this diversity you are seeking takes time. It is a rarity to see non-top tiers in the finals of a tournament. That is the rare treat not the norm. I don't know what everyone saw on stream, but in person CEO top 8 was hella hype. Watching Dragon fall apart to Semijj was immensely gratifying. If you want diversity, then its up to you to get yourself to the top, and use who ever you want to.

I am a no one yet every single competitor at CEO was chill, kind, and open to play games. But as a no one in a room full of "killers" I hold respect for these players that are superior to me. That have worked harder and been around. Possibly this attitude exists online, but in person the idea of "elitism" does not exist. Our community is really cool, and welcoming in person.

and this is exactly why your logic is wrong
there's tons of work on this very board of people posting tech and glitches that stays completely obscure because there's no big name associated to it

also the 'you don't travel to tournaments and win' argument is weak and shitpost borderline
not everyone is a tournament player or has the chance to be a professional player or simply don't care

facts stays, we have a small community that fails to gather up new faces and so tournament players because this 'you're no one' attitude

what did you win tho?why are you even posting if your name isn't in the ceo top8?