What's new

Strategy The Boy Wonder! -- Nightwing General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTim

Don't Hate
Lol you guys are some grim people. If she flys can't we dash under nj.3 or try to punish her dive down with mb b.3 or at full screen mb db2 grayson?
Don't yell at me I've only played one HG so far and that was my strat

Saitsu

Noob
Lol you guys are some grim people. If she flys can't we dash under nj.3 or try to punish her dive down with mb b.3 or at full screen mb db2 grayson?
Her flight normals beat our jump 3. Can't punish the dive down with that unless she mistimes it as the mace and followup is two hits.

And Ground Blast doesn't punish anything.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
Don't yell at me I've only played one HG so far and that was my strat
Your best bet to win this match up is to not play this matchup... counter pick all day

DuskAlloy

I play three of those characters. I wanted to main GA but he's ass offline.
I would say that a good secondary needs to do atleast ok with Hawkgirl and the other top tiers, so obviously characters like batman and aquaman would be good too

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
The Hawkgirl matchup is not so bad offline. She has only one low hitting string. Block high and you'll never be caught by any of her garbage so long as you respect her d1 (6 frame mid). Block and double dash in. Flip kick her out of the air, and 112 her as often as possible. She'll be blocking. You'll be at advantage. Keep the pressure up and don't let her jump back. Or if you prefer staff, block - Flying Grayson - ji2 when you're below her.

I played a very solid Hawkgirl for about 3-4 hours on Friday. I never truly felt as though I couldn't win. I got frustrated, yes. There were a few time out losses that I had to take, but overall I left feeling that the matchup was not nearly as stupid as Cyborg.

And thankfully, Green Lantern does very well vs. Cyborg and Hawkgirl. Trade fireball for ex fireball with Cyborg. Lantern's Might and Air Turbine to grab and slam Hawkgirl from the skies. Matchups covered with the easiest character to learn in the game.

NightwingDayZero

Also, this is NRS on blast. Injustice. Is just a re-skin of the game "Justice League Task Force."

Some of those moves, they uhhh...they look familiar?

ferncaz95

Vicariously living through Dick
Alright, guys. Someone online pointed out that I turtle a lot with Dick. I never realized this until now. I used to rushdown a lot, but I guess after watching some videos I decided to turtle. Fights used to go a lot better when I rushed down, but it's almost as if I forgot how to. Now I always wait until I can blow my opponent up with a b2xxEscrima Fury, ji3, Wing Dings. I feel like I spam this too often. I find myself more rushdown with staff, but I want to change my playstyle so I turtle/rushdown with both. Any advice?

AssassiN

Noob
Alright, guys. Someone online pointed out that I turtle a lot with Dick. I never realized this until now. I used to rushdown a lot, but I guess after watching some videos I decided to turtle. Fights used to go a lot better when I rushed down, but it's almost as if I forgot how to. Now I always wait until I can blow my opponent up with a b2xxEscrima Fury, ji3, Wing Dings. I feel like I spam this too often. I find myself more rushdown with staff, but I want to change my playstyle so I turtle/rushdown with both. Any advice?
Against most of the cast he can simply turtle, they have to come to him and you are better off in your Staff Stance then.
You can constantly change between stances and utilize Ground Sparks, Wing Dings and Ground Blast.
Only through experience you'll find what works against who, if you feel like you're losing way too much try changing stances and see how the matches work out then. I was getting my ass handed to me by a Grundy player because I was in Escrima stance, I thought I would be better off in this stance. Once I changed to Staff, I was the one doing the pounding.

The biggest issue you'll have with NW is to decide against what MU you're better off in what stance in certain situations, if you find yourself in the other stance you'll probably have a hard time switching. For example against Aquaman you only need to be in Staff Stance, however the match starts in his Escrima stance. Aquaman now has better spacing, better zoning, ... You cannot just change stance because he can punish that from anywhere on the screen and he'll get that first hit bonus.
Try to figure out when you safely change stance.

If you only depend on B2 you need to mix it up more by canceling that into Flipkick or Ground Spark. Start using his 33 more as well, allows him to safely change into Staff Spin.
Basically, once you are close to your opponent you need to find ways to change to Staff. Whether it's through blockstrings or combos.

NightwingDayZero

Go to the frame trap thread. Pick a block string you like and practice it. Practice some staff corner combos, learn when to use which strings. Your ability to successfully rush your opponent down will come from correct reads and ample execution. You need to be able put what you're thinking on screen. Put the practice AI on "Block Random" and when you're feeling confident in your block strings an pressure, implement an AI wake up or AI reversal.

I had a very sloppy rush down my first week. I only used Escrima because I didn't know shit about staff, and my execution was atrocious. I lost. A lot. I've spent at LEAST one hour every day in training mode just practicing combos and block strings. I learned the power of staff d1 in my second week and abandoned Escrima. I placed third at a local monthly with horrible execution and terrible decision making. Last Friday I played offline again, with stronger execution and no latency garbage. I was going HAM with Escrima.

There's so much more to rush down than just pressing buttons. Put the time into practice mode. I find it incredibly rewarding.

Edit: be aware of your combo enders. If you're ending with j3 wingdings at mid screen, you're working entirely too hard to get in again. Look for the hard knockdown, sacrifice 3-5% if you must. Keep the pressure up and you'll earn it all back and then some when they're cornered up.

GroovyMango

Bullseye
I'm so sad I lost to that Raven player at ECT. He wasn't very good, and I beat him in casuals the next day 9-4. That's what I get for not knowing the match up and playing wicked impatient. I hope I did other NW's proud at least winning 1 match on stream. I seriously enjoy this game, and I can't wait until the next tournament. I need more match up experience though!!

DuskAlloy

I don't mean to be a dick (yes the rude kind) but regular flipkick isn't safe. I'm not sure about MB flipkick since it's 2 hits.
I hit the training mode to test how safe it was, and Flash's uppercut couldn't punish regular flip kick so im not so sure

Status
Not open for further replies.