What's new

Question The Big Balancing Patch is Coming. What buffs does Bane still need?

I've never wanted a charge cancel to get in. I've always wanted it so charge actually poses a threat instead of being easily punished by anyone at any distance greater than about point blank.

"misuse of charge" is debateable as it clearly has mutliple uses. With one of them being, "let's run over a predictable projectile/one-hit special".

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
"misuse of charge" is debateable as it clearly has mutliple uses. With one of them being, "let's run over a predictable projectile/one-hit special".
Theres a very very select few characters with only single-hit projectiles whom don't recover in time to block charge. In that case, there would be no need for a charge cancel since you wouldn't be able to do anything anyways.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Like the concept is nice, but as it is everything we have would whiff on block and wouldn't do much of anything on hit. We'd get all the benefit from its projectile immunity just using the f.2 dashing, and outside of them making command grab link out of the stagger state I can't see a practical use for it.

Poor Bane, so hard to buff :(

I'm not gonna lie here DB. I'm nowhere near as good with Bane as you (Duh, right?)

I've tried F2 cancel dashing, and I just get plastered. I tried training it the most vs GL's air rocket and Superman's air heat vision. I either can't time it right, or I fuck up the motion, or I dont even get the armor. I've pretty gotten to the point where I said "fuck that shit" only use the F2 and screw the dash cancel. And I'm gonna charge a read projectile if I can't duck and dash.

Is the F2 dash different from his regular dash? Is it different from the B3/F3 dash? Is the same? Are they all the same? Should I be F2 dashing air projectiles in the first place?

I'm not gonna lie here DB. I'm nowhere near as good with Bane as you (Duh, right?)

I've tried F2 cancel dashing, and I just get plastered. I tried training it the most vs GL's air rocket and Superman's air heat vision. I either can't time it right, or I fuck up the motion, or I dont even get the armor. I've pretty gotten to the point where I said "fuck that shit" only use the F2 and screw the dash cancel. And I'm gonna charge a read projectile if I can't duck and dash.

Is the F2 dash different from his regular dash? Is it different from the B3/F3 dash? Is the same? Are they all the same? Should I be F2 dashing air projectiles in the first place?
There is no reason to F2 Dash anything really. Well, very limited reasons. If you're close enough that you could punish the projectile, you could f2 dash. Other than that, might as well just block.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

Dont be so sure, a lot of people are better Banes than me. I just talk the most.

f.2 dash is the same dash, but at level 3 it gets the projetile immunity and whatnot. Its main use is just to get around certain projectiles like batarangs and the whatnot, things that travel a bit slower. Heat zap I've never had trouble with but air rocket isn't the easiest to time.

Its main use is just getting in when you think the opponent will zone you in level 3 venom and you can't charge through.

I played some keep-away and jump-spam players over the weekend. Never been so frustrated in my life. Especially the Bane mirror match against the terrible Bane that literally jumped around and did body press starter combos off of level 3 Venom and, I'm ashamed to say, beat me. If someone is going to jump around like a spazz, Bane needs solid answers because I missed with Venom Uppercut and got hit out of Ring Toss a couple of times. That and a YOLO super ended me. Dumb.

For an illustration of the problem, go watch Chief's matches against a keep-away Black Adam who, again, jumps around and gets missed by his setups. Made me frustrated just watching it.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
his AIR GRAB! dear God his grab is horrible! it needs to have a hitbox like grundy and i think it should also have armor on it.
You don't see a problem with giving his air throw armor? There would be NO point ever jumping at Bane if he had armor. The only character with a multi-hit jump in attack I can think of is Flash. Bane doesn't need armor on that, unless you're considering giving him a MB version of that move that has armor, in which case, I don't think that would be too bad.

I have been fighting a couple of spastic jumpers and I found Venom Uppercut to miss quite a lot in my experience. Maybe increasing it's hitbox a bit would help, I dunno. Bane has trouble with keep away and my feeling is that if he knows you're about to jump away he should be able to do something about that. Oftentimes I just couldn't connect with my moves.

I'm definitely not a world-class Bane but I can generally do ok for myself in most matchups, except for great zoners (online I really have trouble with my dash/block timing).

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
If you read them jumping away, you can follow with a j.2 most times and punish with a full combo. If they're jumping at you, then armored Venom Uppercut should work every time unless the character can air dash (or divekick in BA's case).

Ok, I'll try to remember that it's not always jd3. I see you use j2 a lot and it's very effective so I'll remember to work that into my gameplan.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I personally only use j.d3 for crossups on a knockdown or very rarely in a frame trap. For AA and air-to-air I tend to get way more mileage out of j.2 and j.3 (which has a stupid large hitbox and can be linked into a hard-to-escape body press)

Yeah I was really having trouble with keep-away jumpers, but it's also such an obvious and stupid tactic that I figured it was something on my end and not a buff that Bane needed.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
All of your wants pertain to misuse of charge as a means of getting in on someone. Block and dash will get you further faster, and from d.2 range charge becomes almost impossible to jump over or away from.

Buffs Bane "needs":

Double Punch needs more damage
Parries and Projectiles need to count as such (GL mini-gun, BL lightning, Flash dodge, etc)
Armor on Ring Toss

Thats about it.
Don't forget a nice reduction to the recovery frames on block to f.2, Bawks!

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Well, it's true that with his slow ass normals, jump-back is a problem for Bane. But that's the case with every grappler ever. In fact, if you're playing a smart opponent and they're jumping a lot, it means you're playing correctly and you've made them scared of command grab. So wear that badge with pride.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
I wish they'd get rid of it so it didn't happen when you don't want it to happen. And like you said, I can't think of a time I've ever wanted and f2.
Exactly, because it's garbage. I would just prefer some use out of it, because f.2 is a prerequisite to using f.2d. It would be nice if it had any use whatsoever, as I can think of multiple times when it would be nice to have it as like -7, -10, or whatever on block, especially in level 3 venom when I'm desperate to get in on a Batman with trait up, or Black Adam, or GL, or whoever. Coupled with all projectiles actually being treated as projectiles so that level 3 venom went through them, I would definitely find use for it.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I wish they'd get rid of it so it didn't happen when you don't want it to happen. And like you said, I can't think of a time I've ever wanted and f2.
The only time i've used it in memory is when I was at level 3 and someone was trying bait me so they could drown me on Atlantis with armor. Spoiler, I won that contest. Other than that I never use it. Guess if you read zoning in it's range, but totally not worth it to fail with it's aweful recovery.