What's new

The Aquaman Nerf

Was the Tentacle strike Nerf unnecessary?

• Hell No!

Votes: 87 40.8%
  • He needed it.

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • Yes it was!

Votes: 79 37.1%

• Total voters

JDM

Noob
you guys are so clueless lol.

FTD change makes scoop his extender, and relegates FTD to strict counter zoning/zoning. He does less damage all around but he still plays the same and will continue to be good. He def dropped in the tiers I'm sure but that's because he's beyond easy and dumb right now.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Well, whatever you say is just a way to hide your pain from the nerfhammer. Now its time to get mopped by your old enemies you rekted. B-)

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
IMO nerfing Aquaman will open up the meta a lot. While he wasn't the best character, he probably did have the most lopsided (7-3) matchups. The prevalence of pocket Aquaman singlehandedly destroyed the competitive viability of tons of characters. Without him showing up everywhere, I predict character diversity will improve significantly.

I think AM will still be at least mid tier, but even if not - it was a worthy and sensible sacrifice.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Aqua prob won't get much of d2 now since low scoop won't combo connect in the air.

B123 can't be hit confirmed into a full combo anymore.

Last edited:

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Aqua prob won't get much of d2 now since low scoop won't combo connect in the air.

B123 can't be hit confirmed into a full combo anymore.
I feel like b123 trident toss does pretty decent meterless damage anyway?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
IMO nerfing Aquaman will open up the meta a lot. While he wasn't the best character, he probably did have the most lopsided (7-3) matchups. The prevalence of pocket Aquaman singlehandedly destroyed the competitive viability of tons of characters. Without him showing up everywhere, I predict character diversity will improve significantly.

I think AM will still be at least mid tier, but even if not - it was a worthy and sensible sacrifice.
*cough cough* Canary *cough*

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I wasn't really as good of an Aquaman player as I could've been because I mostly used him for D2, trait, B1, B2, FTD, and F2, and I didn't take near as much advantage of B123 and even not quite enough Trident Rush as I could've. Now I'll actually be able to take full advantage of the character without even changing my strategy. Which makes perfect sense, his amazing defensive tools are all more than usable, his braindead offense just got neutered, so what they said on stream made a lot of sense to me. It is pretty bizarre how hard Aquaman(and Catwoman to a certain extent) got smacked compared to Black Adam, Batman, Superman, Deadshot, Atrocitus(he got changed a little more than the 4 I just mentioned), but like I said he's still good and he still fits into the defensive archetype he was meant for.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I wasn't really as good of an Aquaman player as I could've been because I mostly used him for D2, trait, B1, B2, FTD, and F2, and I didn't take near as much advantage of B123 and even not quite enough Trident Rush as I could've. Now I'll actually be able to take full advantage of the character without even changing my strategy. Which makes perfect sense, his amazing defensive tools are all more than usable, his braindead offense just got neutered, so what they said on stream made a lot of sense to me. It is pretty bizarre how hard Aquaman(and Catwoman to a certain extent) got smacked compared to Black Adam, Batman, Superman, Deadshot, Atrocitus(he got changed a little more than the 4 I just mentioned), but like I said he's still good and he still fits into the defensive archetype he was meant for.
I've said it elsewhere, I feel like they did a good job designing a large portion of the cast: characters had clear strengths and weaknesses. It's just that Adam, Aquaman and Catwoman had no weaknesses. Like, the other top tiers are good, but have holes in their gameplan (like Batman's poor wake-up game) that stopped them from being busted

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I've said it elsewhere, I feel like they did a good job designing a large portion of the cast: characters had clear strengths and weaknesses. It's just that Adam, Aquaman and Catwoman had no weaknesses. Like, the other top tiers are good, but have holes in their gameplan (like Batman's poor wake-up game) that stopped them from being busted
how can you say that Adam had no weaknesses, but then in the next sentence say Batman isn't a character like him because Batman has poor wake ups? You realise Adam's wake up is a LOT weaker than Batman's which is actually useable?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
how can you say that Adam had no weaknesses, but then in the next sentence say Batman isn't a character like him because Batman has poor wake ups? You realise Adam's wake up is a LOT weaker than Batman's which is actually useable?
I guess I poorly spoke there, and I won't act like I'm an expert on characters that aren't my own. I guess in the case of Adam, I would argue that his damage far exceeded any weaknesses he did have. Now, he'd be closer to Batman's level if literally all he got was the damage scaling

you're just contradicting yourself, black adam can't wake up, how can you say adam has no weaknesses and then say batman has a poor wake up game.

I guess I poorly spoke there, and I won't act like I'm an expert on characters that aren't my own. I guess in the case of Adam, I would argue that his damage far exceeded any weaknesses he did have. Now, he'd be closer to Batman's level if literally all he got was the damage scaling
not like he has 50/50s to open you up... He has a poor wake up game, his damage didn't exceed his weaknesses.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Have people forgotten about footsies? This man will still excel at them, he just can't hit confirm into 45% anymore for one false move.

Strong footsies, respectable full screen presence with FTD, trait insurance coverage, can still hit confirm into scoop, likely still has +3 S3 as well as +7 and +8 strings, top 3 D2, trident rush chip still exists, and bonus, 50/50's slightly more viable.

Aquadaddy lives.

Have people forgotten about footsies? This man will still excel at them, he just can't hit confirm into 45% anymore for one false move.

Strong footsies, respectable full screen presence with FTD, trait insurance coverage, can still hit confirm into scoop, likely still has +3 S3 as well as +7 and +8 strings, top 3 D2, trident rush chip still exists, and bonus, 50/50's slightly more viable.

Aquadaddy lives.
top 3 d2? more like top 1 d2. And yeah I agree he's gonna be viable still, people are writing him off too quickly.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I wonder about his air conversions now. I think a damage nerf or gravity change would've been enough with his other changes. IMO they over nerfed him to save face from evo feedback.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
not like he has 50/50s to open you up... He has a poor wake up game, his damage didn't exceed his weaknesses.
That being the case, then what characters would you say were better than current (that is, not considering the new patch) Adam? I'm arguing that his damage made him an unbalanced character, putting him above the rest of the cast when combined with his tools. If he was only a good character because he could kill you in two combos, then he was a poorly designed character in the first place

That being the case, then what characters would you say were better than current (that is, not considering the new patch) Adam? I'm arguing that his damage made him an unbalanced character, putting him above the rest of the cast when combined with his tools. If he was only a good character because he could kill you in two combos, then he was a poorly designed character in the first place
In this current patch I think Catwoman and Aquaman are better than adam but that's just my opinion you might think differently, I feel like NRS doesn't think his damage exceeded his weaknesses just like me too, cause look at how they nerfed him, they only nerfed his damage and they did universal nerfs to damage, they did it to flash superman catwoman aquaman atrocitus. So by lowering adam's damage they're pretty much keeping him the same but just a little bit more normalised, they see it like i see it. The character is fine, especially at high competitive levels.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
yeah, but just like Batman's ridiculous pressure and excellent zoning exceeds any weaknesses he has. I don't believe for a second that BA is on another level from Batman, they are up there together.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I wonder what his BNB will be now and if he can even fit a B3 in there...

B12, scoop, D2, B3, J3, F21+3?

His combos were super bland and easy before...this shit is worse.