What's new

The 3D MK games from a competitive standpoint

It pretty much is the main reason. You know why? The arcade scene was dead. The only real place to play MK competitively was online. UMK3 was not online at the time and the only thing you could play at most arcades was DDR or some type of shooting gallery game. The only arcade that had a competitive scene for the budding FGC was Family Funtime Arcade in Granada Hills, CA. They certainly did not have a big UMK3 crowd. Maybe one or two guys played it. They were mostly all about street fighter and Tekken.

Online was the only place to play MK competitively. That is why MKD is so special to this community. We bonded around MKD as it was the first ever MK game to be made specifically to play both on and offline. We made a lot of friends that we otherwise would never have met. We formed clans and battled other clans for bragging rights. What a great time it was!

So yes, I we an impact on the current state of the NRS scene all thanks to MKD online. Some of the online players went on to play competitively at offline tournaments when MK9 was released.

A few things...

1. Shoryuken took me to that FFA in Granada Hills and we played MK vs DC on their set up. That place was awesome.

2. While MKDA will always be my choice out of the 3D MK games, MKD was fun. In MKDA you had to play offline only. There were several players on the forums back then that I could never play unless they traveled out to tournaments. In MKD I got to play so many of them and it was awesome. I remember when I finally got to play Konqrr in MKD. Met him in MKDA on the forums, and while we never played in MKDA, he knew his stuff and I highly respected him. To finally be able to play these guys was great.

3. If MKDA were online back then with the current netcode, this community would have exploded. MK11 is about 2 months away.. If anyone is looking to pick up something just to pass the time, I HIGHLY recommend MKDA. The GC emulator netcode is flawless.

Last edited:

Gerchap

Noob
A few things...

1. Shoryuken took me to that FFA in Granada Hills and we played MK vs DC on their set up. That place was awesome.

2. While MKDA will always be my choice out of the 3D MK games, MKD was fun. In MKDA you had to play offline only. There were several players on the forums back then that I could never play unless they traveled out to tournaments. In MKD I got to play so many of them and it was awesome. I remember when I finally got to play Konqrr in MKD. Met him in MKDA on the forums, and while we never played in MKDA, he knew his stuff and I highly respected him. To finally be able to play these guys was great.

3. If MKDA were online back then with the current netcode, this community would have exploded. MK11 is about 2 months away.. If anyone is looking to pick up something just to pass the time, I HIGHLY recommend MKDA. The GC emulator netcode is flawless.
Hey Brady, how do you get that emulator? I’d love to play some MKDA

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm definitely down for MKDA. I'm on Discord (THTB614#0614 is my tag), so if anyone's up for it, that's the best way to reach me.

Also, as said before, a lot of the community that came from 3D MK were the players seen during MK9's heyday, and from personal experience, a lot of us were inspirations for people to get into the MK series competitively. REO, Shujinkydink, Pig of the Hut, Krayzie, m2dave, Check, etc. A number of those players are still around, too. No, we weren't going offline like the 2D guys, but we all came together with themthem helped contribute to the growth of the scene, whether it was through being TOs and streamers, making tutorials, or just being very notable members of the community. Everyone, even the 3D players, were big in helping keep the MK spirit alive. :)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
A few things...

For those who have no clue how this emulator works... how does it work? What system do you need for it, etc? Sure, I could Google it, but you guys clearly know already... :)

If I could get it to work I would definitely be up for MKDA and MKD.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I'm just going to fan boy for minute and say....

I miss all the old games. My snes is still plugged into my TV and I run mk3 and umk3 every once in a while.

I never really played MKD online much since at the time us Canadians had 3rd world internet and it was hell getting a good connection. Sets were run at the boys n girls club and a few others around Toronto. Madd nice. Sully smack talks. And true salty runbacks. I could shead a tear about the memories.

Back then when the arcades we're steadily dying out a few spots still kept it real.

Looking back now 3D mk games were lit. There was a new way to get bragging rights till the next month instead of the arcades we're umk3 still rained supreme.

Kinda sucks as I don't have my old ps2 or Xbox anymore. Used to play MKD like it was going out of style. Not much of a MKDA fan sometimes. Too many scrubby memories of the power up and impale & bleed out mechanics

It pretty much is the main reason. You know why? The arcade scene was dead. The only real place to play MK competitively was online. UMK3 was not online at the time and the only thing you could play at most arcades was DDR or some type of shooting gallery game. The only arcade that had a competitive scene for the budding FGC was Family Funtime Arcade in Granada Hills, CA. They certainly did not have a big UMK3 crowd. Maybe one or two guys played it. They were mostly all about street fighter and Tekken.

Online was the only place to play MK competitively. That is why MKD is so special to this community. We bonded around MKD as it was the first ever MK game to be made specifically to play both on and offline. We made a lot of friends that we otherwise would never have met. We formed clans and battled other clans for bragging rights. What a great time it was!

So yes, I we an impact on the current state of the NRS scene all thanks to MKD online. Some of the online players went on to play competitively at offline tournaments when MK9 was released.
well, if you truly believe that the current state of the NRS scene and MK now being an competitive fighter
is all thanks to MKD online, thats totally ok even though it makes absolutely no sense.
i agree with @THTB what he said, there is nothing more to say about it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If the Dolphin isn't complicated to set up, can walk us through it or instructions I'm down.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
@Tom Brady @THTB @REO @Konqrr and anyone else: I would be interested in playing some MKDA online, I've got Dolphin emulator.
My pc couldn't handle emulating that.

Also, the Gamecube version of MKD is "balanced" lol ... it actually fixed the free combo after throw for Bo' Rai Cho and I think Darrius (but left it in for Noob and Tanya, wtf). It also added reduced damage combos for Shujinko, but Check and I broke that on day one by using change stance enders haha

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Yeah if there's a way of course I'd try it out.

@Konqrr also didn't the GC version of Deception add Shao Kahn and Goro as playable?
Yeah the added them, then on the PSP version called Unchained, they added Kitana, Frost, Jax and Blaze.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah the added them, then on the PSP version called Unchained, they added Kitana, Frost, Jax and Blaze.
Right, right forgot about unchained. I never had a PSP, borrowed one from my friend way back damn thing kept giving issues with the disc holder but I digress. I loved the Vita version of MK 9.

SINGH E

Noob
MKDA was my favorite 3D MK game, good memories. I need to get a PC and get this MKDA GC online emulator thing set up. I'm from the UK and would to play you guys. I mained Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Kenshi.

I also used to go on the MKO forums back in the day but never used to post, just read what everyone else wrote lol! They were good memories too!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'd be interested in MKDA netplay too, though I'm unsure how well my system runs Dolphin.
It's actually not too difficult nowadays. You can put a GT710 and 3rd gen i5 or newer in your system and it's gonna be able to run Dolphin pretty well. The emulator is extremely optimized.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Tom Brady tried to push the 3D MKs, all of 4 of them but there was no budge at all from the community to come out except for MKDA, which admittedly had a natural draw for interest since it was so different but after that it just fell off. We just kept running UMK3 and then MKII started to gain some steam as well where a small group of dedicated MKII players started coming out to tournaments pretty regularly. So from 2001, through 2010 there was a massive dry spell for new competitive MK games in the developing FGC, and this is because really, most TOs didn't want MK games at their events. Capcom, Namco, SNK, etc all the way, but NO Midway unless you were at a Big E, or LI Joe/Sweet Johnny Cage event, and I use those names because they are recognized. If you can point me to other major events running classic MK, I'd love to see it, but other than MWC in the mid 2000s, there was nothing.

It was very interesting in 2010 because the 2D games were getting pretty decent numbers, and then MK9 was announced and we had sort of a last hurrah for them and they gradually tapered down to nothing after Injustice came out. I've run UMK3, or at least, brought a dedicated setup for it to about 60 tournaments, sixty, since MK9 was released, and there were a handful of UMK3 events outside the east coast, mainly in Ohio, between MK9 and Injustice 2, where then @tehdrewsus started running his event, dedicated to classic MK.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
well, if you truly believe that the current state of the NRS scene and MK now being an competitive fighter
is all thanks to MKD online, thats totally ok even though it makes absolutely no sense.
i agree with @THTB what he said, there is nothing more to say about it.
It's all good, man. My job is not to convince anyone of anything. I'm only here to pass on my experiences to those interested in them.

Gerchap

Noob
yes sure man i obviously play with u. ft10 in a classic mk game of your choice.
the loser must drink half bottle of polish vodka and sniff an extraordinary long line of co***ne !

who knows? do you have any kind of proof for this claim? i know that people were involved in the development of modern nrs games, like tom brady. your claim sounds grossly exaggerated to me, no offense.

ok now i see what you are trying to say. without the 3d-mk playerbase mk would still be an non competitive fighter? i mean its awesome that you guys provided feedback to nrs, really. it helped in some way for sure.
today mortal kombat is an competitive fighter and that is the result of different factors. what you said might be one of them but with all due respect, it is no way the main reason.
those factors were for instance the timing when mk 9 was released. i would even say that was crucial.
when sf4 came out 2008 it was an revival not only for street fighter but for the fgc as a whole.
it was an huge success and its clear that midway/nrs wanted to jump on that "revival" hype.
the timing was perfect for an mk reboot. it worked out!
another factor is the evolution of the fgc. look at the fgc today and compare it to lets say 2004. this shit is crazy, all the possibilities the people have nowadays, i dont need to tell you about it.
my point is that nowadays an non competitive mortal kombat, is not possible!
so the revival of classic fighting games such as sf and mk, the evolution of the fgc and the effort from the 3d community should be the main reasons for mk now being an competitive fighter, in my humble opinion.

i already answered but i still would like to ask you something.
why there was no offline scene established back then and also why 3d mk games were not featured on fgc tournaments at all? because if it had been so, i would agree to your claim 100%. ;)

yeah its fun indeed if u play it today lol. when it was released it was not that funny because it was so extremely different, it did not feel like a real mk. however its not ez to run that game today if you dont own an ps2.
game needs to be released on current platforms ;)
Hey Takuma, @mastermalone isn't exaggerating. Listen to the podcast episode 6 that
@General M2Dave Myself and @STORMS recorded, in the first 5-10 minutes I mentioned Malone he probably hasn’t listened to it yet. We gave him credit and shoutouts for being the voice of the community in the 2006 Entertainment Electronic Expo “E3” he shared our feedback and requests to the “at that time Midway Team. He provided info from the expo to the community and shared tons of photos of the upcoming game “MKA”

Malone is the real deal
No exagera compadre el hombre hizo su trabajo y lo compartió con nosotros y nosotros mandamos nuestra petición y lo que deseábamos en un futuro, si lo tomaron en cuenta o no pero hicimos nuestra parte.

Hey Takuma, @mastermalone isn't exaggerating. Listen to the podcast episode 6 that
@General M2Dave Myself and @STORMS recorded, in the first 5-10 minutes I mentioned Malone he probably hasn’t listened to it yet. We gave him credit and shoutouts for being the voice of the community in the 2006 Entertainment Electronic Expo “E3” he shared our feedback and requests to the “at that time Midway Team. He provided info from the expo to the community and shared tons of photos of the upcoming game “MKA”

Malone is the real deal
No exagera compadre el hombre hizo su trabajo y lo compartió con nosotros y nosotros mandamos nuestra petición y lo que deseábamos en un futuro, si lo tomaron en cuenta o no pero hicimos nuestra parte.
amigo gerchap, did you even read the quote jaja
check this out:
so the revival of classic fighting games such as sf and mk, the evolution of the fgc and the effort from the 3d community should be the main reasons for mk now being an competitive fighter, in my humble opinion.
as you can see i already agreed. mk is now an competitive fighter thanks to several different factors and not just one man, lol