What's new

The 3D MK games from a competitive standpoint

Doctrine Dark

Ready for MK11
With all of the recent hype surrounding MK11, I decided to go back and brush up on my MK history out of curiosity. As I watched Tom Brady stream Deadly Alliance earlier, a question quickly came to mind: did Armageddon, Deadly Alliance, or Deception ever have a tournament scene like UMK3 or any of the older 2D games prior to MK9? I tend to read negative feedback about those games amongst many MK players and fans, but I figured this would be the best place to gauge the reception of those games from back then.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Unfortunately those games were only good for their single player story modes and the fun minigames. Other than that they are 1/2 the reason even the new, superior MK games are all but disregarded by the Capcom Fanboys. The other 1/2 reason is that well they're Capcom Fanboys and shit on anything that doesn't play exactly like Capcom made it.

no tournament scene. those trash games were played online only by players who were in online clans (lul)
This was true for MKD and MKA. I certainly wouldn't "lul" though as those scenes helped pave the way for what we have now.

As for MKDA, that was the last tournament game for MK until MK9. MKDA was adopted by many players from the 3D community mainly those that played SC2 and Tekken 4. MKDA had tournaments that were sizeable for that era. It was certainly nothing like we have today, but it did ok for that era.

Gerchap

Noob
no tournament scene. those trash games were played online only by players who were in online clans (lul)
Very wrong. Like @Tom Brady explained those games and that era helped the scene and what we have now it’s because of those online games. Good or bad those were our games and that era was great

I do not recall your tag so you can not have an accurate opinion on this matter

Very wrong. Like @Tom Brady explained those games and that era helped the scene and what we have now it’s because of those online games. Good or bad those were our games and that era was great
^^ This...

Many of the players who started the MK9 tournament scene came from those online era's. If not for those games and the sites that helped them grow we dont have what we have today.

This was true for MKD and MKA. I certainly wouldn't "lul" though as those scenes helped pave the way for what we have now.
i am not so sure about it to be honest. the TYM board made by people from that era was indeed helpful when mk9 came out. lul cos i never took those games serious, they were broken and the the netcode back then was bad. also those mk boards, clans and such, i disliked it. although i think that it could be fun if you knew the right people, right opponents.

As for MKDA, that was the last tournament game for MK until MK9. MKDA was adopted by many players from the 3D community mainly those that played SC2 and Tekken 4. MKDA had tournaments that were sizeable for that era. It was certainly nothing like we have today, but it did ok for that era.
i agree that mkda was the last tournament game, i played one myself but i am/was not very familiar with the competitive mkda tournament playerbase. its because i dropped mk for games like sfa3 and cvs2. better games, better competition and a good tournament scene, you know

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
3D MK's were fun, broken but then so are some other fighters out there that were popular like MVC 2 for example. Deception was the first legit online MK so that'll always have memories, MK A didn't like as much but the KAK, side modes and story were awesome.

Deadly Alliance is very underrated imo, though to be fair so is MK 4 from a competitive point of view. I would love to see NRS redo/update these two with netplay.

how exactly did that era help for what we have now? i mean the TYM forum made by people from that era was indeed very helpful when mk9 was released.
i ask you because in my opinion, it was the opposite. that era was in the first place the main reason why so many people dropped playing mk, it became a joke in the fgc "lol mk" no one took it serious anymore even mk players like myself. it took a long time for mk and its players to be taken seriously again within the fgc and the tournament scene. with mk11 that "lol mk" myth will belong to the past once for all i hope.

I do not recall your tag so you can not have an accurate opinion on this matter
yeah i was not part of that era. me from chile and was an highlevel mk arcade player from 92-97. the playerbase was huge and the skill level extremely high and still is today regarding classic mk (umk3 for the most part)
amigo you are right though that my opinion is not super accurate, thats because back then i realized pretty fast how bad those mk games were and also the fact that they were played online for the most part and the netcode was bad. however i had an eye on the mk scene i read in those old mk boards...

3D MK's were fun, broken but then so are some other fighters out there that were popular like MVC 2 for example. Deception was the first legit online MK so that'll always have memories, MK A didn't like as much but the KAK, side modes and story were awesome.

Deadly Alliance is very underrated imo, though to be fair so is MK 4 from a competitive point of view. I would love to see NRS redo/update these two with netplay.
MKDA is a VERY good game. prob the best game that most here will never get to play. Its super fun though getting to play it online w/the GC emulator.

MKF30

MKDA is a VERY good game. prob the best game that most here will never get to play. Its super fun though getting to play it online w/the GC emulator.
So there's a way to play MK DA online with GC emulator? hmmm this on Mame or something? Nice.

With all of the recent hype surrounding MK11, I decided to go back and brush up on my MK history out of curiosity. As I watched Tom Brady stream Deadly Alliance earlier, a question quickly came to mind: did Armageddon, Deadly Alliance, or Deception ever have a tournament scene like UMK3 or any of the older 2D games prior to MK9? I tend to read negative feedback about those games amongst many MK players and fans, but I figured this would be the best place to gauge the reception of those games from back then.
from what i understand, basically the only person playing these in public was tom brady. thats quite hilarious, but we can also thank him as it might have played a role in keeping mk alive at all and leading to the resurrection that was mk9.

MKF30

mkda should be released as an psn game.
also mk1-mk4 lol
lol if they do ever re-rease them, they should be released for multi console lol. MK DA was originally on GC, a true classic. Good memories. And MK 4 played the best on N64, that game was hot trash on PS lol.

lol if they do ever re-rease them, they should be released for multi console lol. MK DA was originally on GC, a true classic. Good memories. And MK 4 played the best on N64, that game was hot trash on PS lol.
i played mkda on ps2 never on cg. was it different or what?
lol what? there is only one platform for mk 4 and that is the arcade version. everything else is trash in my humble opinion ;D
a shame that mk4 somehow doesnt work on mame

Gerchap

Noob
how exactly did that era help for what we have now? i mean the TYM forum made by people from that era was indeed very helpful when mk9 was released.
i ask you because in my opinion, it was the opposite. that era was in the first place the main reason why so many people dropped playing mk, it became a joke in the fgc "lol mk" no one took it serious anymore even mk players like myself. it took a long time for mk and its players to be taken seriously again within the fgc and the tournament scene. with mk11 that "lol mk" myth will belong to the past once for all i hope.

yeah i was not part of that era. me from chile and was an highlevel mk arcade player from 92-97. the playerbase was huge and the skill level extremely high and still is today regarding classic mk (umk3 for the most part)
amigo you are right though that my opinion is not super accurate, thats because back then i realized pretty fast how bad those mk games were and also the fact that they were played online for the most part and the netcode was bad. however i had an eye on the mk scene i read in those old mk boards...
Helped in terms of creating a community, MKD was the first game to be playable online and because of that it brought a good amount of players to the MK scene, 14 years ago we didn’t have all the sources we have now such as social media, GPS systems etc 13 years ago a groups of members met in NYC for offline games and it was just a long process to get us together because of lack of knowledge with transportation lol. Nowadays everything is so much easier and that’s why the offline scene is what it is. 10 years ago the whole region matchmaking system started and all because of the first group of MKD players who wanted to make this happen.

I wish MK would be as big as SF or any other big tournament games but it’s not the communities fault, not all of it at least. Sos de Chile? Arturo Vidal y Sanchez son unos monstros

MKF30

i played mkda on ps2 never on cg. was it different or what?
lol what? there is only one platform for mk 4 and that is the arcade version. everything else is trash in my humble opinion ;D
a shame that mk4 somehow doesnt work on mame
It was the same more or less, just the controls were different. It was on the GC first then I believe Ps2 and Xbox later, I still remember if you preordered you got an exclusive, rare MK Deadly Alliance Gamestop Coin. I have several.

MK 4 played on PC, PS and N64. Out of all those ports the N64 played the best. PC had issues but forget what they were, and the PS would literally freeze, load times were horrible. Of course no doubt the Arcade port is the best, I just know for the home ports the N64 played the smoothest. Would love for a redone arcade port of MK 4.

from what i understand, basically the only person playing these in public was tom brady. thats quite hilarious, but we can also thank him as it might have played a role in keeping mk alive at all and leading to the resurrection that was mk9.
hm i wouldn't say so. tom is a known person but he was not the only one. from what i can tell is that mkda was not considered a true mk game, by a lot of oldschool mk players like myself. i guess i dont need to explain to you in detail that mkda was different to mk games before ;)
neither in chile nor in germany was mkda played competitive. in the us for sure but not that much too from what i remember.

regarding "keeping mk alive" there were a lot of dedicated groups of mk players (classic highlevel mk players specially from south america, central america and also from europe like "ded mk" for instance) who deserve some credit too ;)
i provided mk setups for casuals on local tournaments for years for instance. it was never announced though because mk was banned in germany.
if you ask me about the main reason for the resurrection of mk (mk9) i say it had a lot to do with sf4 for the most part.

Helped in terms of creating a community, MKD was the first game to be playable online and because of that it brought a good amount of players to the MK scene, 14 years ago we didn’t have all the sources we have now such as social media, GPS systems etc 13 years ago a groups of members met in NYC for offline games and it was just a long process to get us together because of lack of knowledge with transportation lol. Nowadays everything is so much easier and that’s why the offline scene is what it is. 10 years ago the whole region matchmaking system started and all because of the first group of MKD players who wanted to make this happen.

I wish MK would be as big as SF or any other big tournament games but it’s not the communities fault, not all of it at least. Sos de Chile? Arturo Vidal y Sanchez son unos monstros
yeah it helped to create a community for sure. lets just give some credit to classic mk players too in this regard, then its all good haha ;)
hell yeah man, this kids nowadays are so privileged. at least your mk generation back then had such things like internet and affordable electronic devices lol.
1994 we had no internet just some game magazines from usa with some tech but we had to find out most stuff by ourselves. also it wasnt easy to record tournament matches since cams were expensive and we could just afford the money for the mk credits lmfaoo. in chile MK was expensive, like one credit sf2 or kof was like 50 cent but mk 2 dollars!

si soy de chile amigo y tu? hoy vivo en alemania. tienes un ps4?
me cuesta mucho el ingles, uso google translate mucho :/

Gerchap

Noob
yeah it helped to create a community for sure. lets just give some credit to classic mk players too in this regard, then its all good haha ;)
hell yeah man, this kids nowadays are so privileged. at least your mk generation back then had such things like internet and affordable electronic devices lol.
1994 we had no internet just some game magazines from usa with some tech but we had to find out most stuff by ourselves. also it wasnt easy to record tournament matches since cams were expensive and we could just afford the money for the mk credits lmfaoo. in chile MK was expensive, like one credit sf2 or kof was like 50 cent but mk 2 dollars!

si soy de chile amigo y tu? hoy vivo en alemania. tienes un ps4?
me cuesta mucho el ingles, uso google translate mucho :/
Todo el crédito va para MK1 y mi favorito el 2 y trilogy ya que fue el inicio de todo esto. La ERA antes del MK 3D estaba prácticamente muerta acá en Estados Unidos antes había un sitio de internet de MK clásico pero no era muy visitado incluso el lugar de internet que visitábamos en el 05 -07 no era popular hasta que la era 3D empezó. Los inicios de matchmaking fue de ahí. Mira el video de REO que alguien puso acá, ahí REO habla de la historia de esto y el podcast que subió STORMS la semana pasada habla un poco también de la historia anoche grabamos otro podcast siguiendo al de la semana pasada pero aún no lo sube storms. Yo soy de Guatemala pero no juego en PS soy Xbox pero creo que para este MK voy s comprar un PS

Todo el crédito va para MK1 y mi favorito el 2 y trilogy ya que fue el inicio de todo esto. La ERA antes del MK 3D estaba prácticamente muerta acá en Estados Unidos antes había un sitio de internet de MK clásico pero no era muy visitado incluso el lugar de internet que visitábamos en el 05 -07 no era popular hasta que la era 3D empezó. Los inicios de matchmaking fue de ahí. Mira el video de REO que alguien puso acá, ahí REO habla de la historia de esto y el podcast que subió STORMS la semana pasada habla un poco también de la historia anoche grabamos otro podcast siguiendo al de la semana pasada pero aún no lo sube storms. Yo soy de Guatemala pero no juego en PS soy Xbox pero creo que para este MK voy s comprar un PS
si claro conozco esos videos amigo. mi argumento es que eso fue mas que nada online. y como sabes que el internet y online play no era tan bueno en ese entonces, ese es el detalle.
aparte de eso los 3d mk games no fueron parte de el fgc como hoy. ese es el mayor argumento, no sucedio porque los juegos eran muy malos (broken) y la mayoria de los jugadores no tenia mucho interes de viajar a torneos. por estos motivos yo no le doy demasiado credito a esa era, sin ninguna intencion de faltarte el respeto obviamente. en fin, pasado es pasado amigo ;)
guetemala? exellente! hay muchos jugadores de mk clasico en tu pais que yo se. que tal hoy en dia?
se juega todavia mk clasico?