What's new

That one game you never beat!

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
I actually managed to beat Castlevania 3 for the NES, but that second quest is nothing short of sadistic.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
FF8 the entire game I coasted by spamming summons on every enemy it was great. Then out of nowhere disc 4 happens and that one boss appears who you can't just use summons on because it'll cause a game over I ended up beating that boss after several hours of hoping the AI does stupid shit but after it was done I got to the final dungeon and I was just exhausted I honestly did not want to play anymore I knew the final boss was gonna be a bitch so I said fuck it and looked up the ending on Youtube.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
If we are going old school, Shining Force II, because it's a fucking SRPG with random encounters. Not like Fire Emblem, I mean legit random encounters, and ain't nobody got time for that (played up to the world map then quit when I realized this)

Little closer, Beyond the Beyond on the PSX. Fucking bullshit RPG, have gotten to the last dungeon. Here's the worst part of the game, invisible holes that drop you back to the previous floor and the encounter breaks and it's like 1 fight every 3-5 steps.

Now? Any fucking game I pick up cause I ain't got time #firstworldproblems

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I don't understand all the love for it. It has the wonkiest platforming I've ever played and the worst cameras. I'll never like the 3D Marios.
Great level design, a really open-ended game for its time, and because it has Mario in the title. Controls took some time to get used to, but the platforming was really rewarding when you got the hang of it.

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
Castlevania 1 gets a special mention (PSX remake) for the bullshit level design\early game limitations. Stairs are death sentences
Castlevania 1 was a tough game, but it was somewhat nerfed once you realized how overpowered holy water was. You could just spam it on pretty much any of the bosses (except Dracula) and win. The levels themself were still rage inducing though. I actually found the stairs in Castlvania 3 to be harder. The stairs in Castlevania 3 had those snake heads that shot fireballs pointing at them all the time and you had to time your ascent perfectly if you wanted to get past them. Then there would be these gargoyles that would fly in a wonky pattern and harass you WHILE you were being shot at. Then in some levels, you'd have the snake heads shooting at you, while the gargoyles bounced around, AND the screen scrolled up (which was instant death if you were too slow), AND enemies popping out of no where due to slow loading times. I think if they donated all the hair that those levels caused gamers to pull out, Locks for Love would never have to make another wig.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Have you not played with the Mario face???
Pretty fun, yes.

Great level design, a really open-ended game for its time, and because it has Mario in the title. Controls took some time to get used to, but the platforming was really rewarding when you got the hang of it.
I liked the 'multiple objectives in one area' thing, but I wouldn't call the level design great. It didn't match with the platforming. And the controls are easy, but that doesn't make it any less wonkier.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
The original Castlevania comes to mind...

Still stuck on Death...cannot for the life of me beat him.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Anyone remember Kid Chameleon for the Genesis? The whole putting on masks for new powers was tight, but the game was hard as fuck.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Deus ex human revolution. I took the chip and could never beat that damn boss because my abilities were turned off. It stopped being fun so I stopped playing.

Cody

Noob
Mortal Kombat's challenge tower. Not because I couldn't beat it either. I literally couldn't beat it. After I beat the 300th challenge, it froze. I beat it 4 times and then gave up on trying to beat it. So instead I tried getting coins. I paid to skip it twice and it froze twice. I literally still have not beat MK's challenge tower, sadly.

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
The original Castlevania comes to mind...

Still stuck on Death...cannot for the life of me beat him.
He's the toughest boss in the game, but just like dark link in Zelda 2, there's an easy way to beat him if you don't feel like doing the extremely hard way.

Hardcore/True Gamer Way: Get the cross from behind the staircase in the room below with the two red skeletons. When you get into the room, just throw crosses and do your best to dodge those scythes. Continue throwing crosses and praying you don't get hit until he's dead. It took me 23 tries to beat him the first time I tried this way, but by then I had already beaten the game a few times using....
The Bitch Way: Begin jumping and spamming holy water on the far right platform right before he comes down. Continue to do so once he comes down. He'll be trapped in a stun lock and unable to attack. Using this method, he becomes the easiest boss in the game.

DarkFire*

Your halo is mine.
I never recall beating Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES. That one game where you throw vegetables and magic potions with doors and stuff lol it was hard af back in the day so I don't ever remember beating it.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
FF8 the entire game I coasted by spamming summons on every enemy it was great. Then out of nowhere disc 4 happens and that one boss appears who you can't just use summons on because it'll cause a game over I ended up beating that boss after several hours of hoping the AI does stupid shit but after it was done I got to the final dungeon and I was just exhausted I honestly did not want to play anymore I knew the final boss was gonna be a bitch so I said fuck it and looked up the ending on Youtube.

Cast Aura on Selphie then flip through her limit break and cast her unique spell The End. Ultimicia was the easier FF final boss to beat. I played the game the exact opposite way I spent 188 hours on the game then beat the final boss in around 5 turns. I didn't think it would work but thought I'd give it a shot for the giggles. Never been more dissapointed in my life.

Castlevania was the game I never beat. That was hard!

Star Ocean International is a game I can't imagine anyone ever completing 100%. Some of the individual character achievement requirements were a joke, the post play dungeons were at least three times as difficult as anything in game and you'd have had to play the story through at least twice.

TeamFail

Noob
2 games plus 1 honorable mention.

Super Ghouls & Ghosts is the hardest game I've ever played. I get bodied consistently. I finally beat the final boss once and learned that you technically have to beat the entire game twice to actually clear the game. Nope!

The lion king game for genesis, unbeatable.

Honorable mention: Sonic 3's carnival level. I couldn't beat it as a 7 year old and actually bought the mega collection as a late teen so that I could finally figure it out.