What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
@Azarashi Elder nailed it on the head. The new school "5 characters are S Tier" bs is garbage. S tier is MMH, Kabal, Tek Iken 4 Jin, vanilla Bob, etc. There's nothing like that in this game. The most overused term. A+ tier would be people like Ling, Drag, and Leo, 3 of the clear best characters in the game. As far as the specific characters you're asking about.

Leo is top tier due to, well, having like no weaknesses, and being good or great at everything. Great mixups, great staggers, high damage, some of the best wall carry in the game, wall of death game, strong lows, great CHs, great panic tools, great... If you wanted to nitpick, you could classify something as a "weakness", but it wuold be hard. Very few characters are that good at everything in the game.

Claudio does not pass mid tier because he isn't as strong as upper or high tiers. He is possibly the easiest to use in the game, which adds to the perception that he is better than he is sometimes. Bad unsafe lows without starburst active, playstyle has to be more high risk/high reward against defensive play space characters (BuffAsuka), can struggle breaking off of heavy poke pressure characters like Nina and Steve, are a few of his known weaknesses. Can't compare Claudio to the likes of the Ling's and Devil Jin's of the world.

This is what I was trying to get at, but apparently worded it poorly since people think Im using a list as some means of decision making or deciding who good and bad.

What I meant by this whole thing was:

A) I see Leo and Claudio talked about almost exclusively in positive terms. I don't see much by way of weakness ever mentioned or listed for either of them. Especially Claudio, with some bits and bobs suggesting he's overly strong. Yet when I see pro players rank him (I'm not basing this on one tier list, but several, all from as far as I know, long time and knowledgeable community members , Psyren posted a link to the lists in referencing) he's consistently ranked in the middle somewhere. I was just looking for some clarification on this for no other reason than cause I wanted to know.

B) the lists don't explain why Leo is considered bonkers. So I was curious.

Believe me, I appreciate that just letting s list make decisions for you, at least in Tekken, is stupid. I was just curious as the "why" of some of it. I decided on Leo after playing him/her for s bit in training mode and realizing he/she was just fun and agile and felt good to use. I decided on Claudio after reading he was considered extremely easy to pick up and make decent use of, and after trying him in training mode, he fit well. Neither character was my intended pick before I got my hands on the game.. I was planning on Bryan and Jin primarily. In all honesty I still really like Bryan, but he seems to be really heavily played ,(stupid reason, but a reason none the less) and this is even dumber, but a rl friend of mine is named bryan and for some reason it just bugs me.

Who knows. Might drop Claudio for Bryan.. two is too many already. Leo I think I'm keeping though, she's too fluid and cool looking in motion to not play imo.

Tekken is the same as other FGs, I like too many characters.

Best competitive Tekken 7 sites similar to TYM? I need a place where I can read-up on framedata and stuff like that.

I don't have the game yet but I'm thinking about getting into it. I want to read more about it first, though.
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/

How is alisa? She's the only character I'm interested in and I've never touched a tekken in my life
Alisa is awesome.

"

Pros

• Decent poking game

• Safe launchers

• Strong jab punishes

• One of the best stepping in the game.

• One of the best homing moves

• Strong homing move
Cons:
  • Poor whiff punishment

• Poke game is low damage, she struggles on a life deficit.

• Has to play very risky to make a comeback.

Recommended to players who like

• Simple poking game

• Low execution

• Defensive gameplay
    "
This is what I was trying to get at, but apparently worded it poorly since people think Im using a list as some means of decision making or deciding who good and bad.

What I meant by this whole thing was:

A) I see Leo and Claudio talked about almost exclusively in positive terms. I don't see much by way of weakness ever mentioned or listed for either of them. Especially Claudio, with some bits and bobs suggesting he's overly strong. Yet when I see pro players rank him (I'm not basing this on one tier list, but several, all from as far as I know, long time and knowledgeable community members , Psyren posted a link to the lists in referencing) he's consistently ranked in the middle somewhere. I was just looking for some clarification on this for no other reason than cause I wanted to know.

B) the lists don't explain why Leo is considered bonkers. So I was curious.

Believe me, I appreciate that just letting s list make decisions for you, at least in Tekken, is stupid. I was just curious as the "why" of some of it. I decided on Leo after playing him/her for s bit in training mode and realizing he/she was just fun and agile and felt good to use. I decided on Claudio after reading he was considered extremely easy to pick up and make decent use of, and after trying him in training mode, he fit well. Neither character was my intended pick before I got my hands on the game.. I was planning on Bryan and Jin primarily. In all honesty I still really like Bryan, but he seems to be really heavily played ,(stupid reason, but a reason none the less) and this is even dumber, but a rl friend of mine is named bryan and for some reason it just bugs me.

Who knows. Might drop Claudio for Bryan.. two is too many already. Leo I think I'm keeping though, she's too fluid and cool looking in motion to not play imo.

Tekken is the same as other FGs, I like too many characters.
Bryan looks so sick

Last edited:

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/

Alisa is awesome.

"

Pros

• Decent poking game

• Safe launchers

• Strong jab punishes

• One of the best stepping in the game.

• One of the best homing moves

• Strong homing moves

Cons

• Poor whiff punishment

• Poke game is low damage, she struggles on a life deficit.

• Has to play very risky to make a comeback.

Recommended to players who like

• Simple poking game

• Low execution

• Defensive gameplay
    "

Bryan looks so sick
Me likey

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
How is alisa? She's the only character I'm interested in and I've never touched a tekken in my life
Of all the characters you could have named, she would probably be an ideal fit for you and your playstyle.

Very strong poke game, good frames all around for the most part, can play defensive but can also turn on the offense in burst, easy character to start with for someone new to the series, S4 is one of the best SS crush moves in the game for CH combos so you won't get abused with the veteran movement as bad. She has a couple of weaker areas so to say but nothing so glaring that you would call it a heavy disadvantage. Solid all around character.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I know that EWGF is pro shit i just wanted to see if i could do one. Some of the moves that also have :r STAR :d:qtr were hard to pull off. Dragon uppercut i could barely get half the time and when i did i didn't do anything different. Jumping Mid & Low kick i could do easily. Spinning Demon & SD uppercut i did most of the time. I just find it weird that all these moves have the same inputs except for the last button but they have varying degrees of difficulty.

How do i return to neutral on pad anyway? Its a button press not a stick shouldn't it return to neutral immediately after i press forward? So shouldn't :rSTAR :d:qtr just be a DP motion?
Yes it's a DP

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
It'd be great if you could upload and browse Customs. Something that never existed in Soul Calibur nor Tekken but I think would be a fine addition.

That way you can just get a custom that you think is cool looking but don't want to go through the trouble of recreating every tidbit.

tbh not really an important feature but it's still nice.

I spend too much time in customization when I'm not in training mode. Even for characters I don't even play smh

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yea I second Chanel's play being one of the best sources to watch Alisa. Shamelessly I played her tons back in T6 when she was toppity top tier so I have some insight I can share if you pick it up too.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It'd be great if you could upload and browse Customs. Something that never existed in Soul Calibur nor Tekken but I think would be a fine addition.

That way you can just get a custom that you think is cool looking but don't want to go through the trouble of recreating every tidbit.

tbh not really an important feature but it's still nice.

I spend too much time in customization when I'm not in training mode. Even for characters I don't even play smh
Could've sworn you can look up at least a select list of customizations. Hold on.

Edit: nope. Could've sworn there was some list. Maybe what the top players were using. I don't know what I'm remembering then.

Last edited:

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
You know you have scarred someone for life when you hit them with a counter hit deathfist for the win and they send you a msg.
Deathfist is one of the most iconic moves in Tekken and fighting games period. Also, it's one of the scariest. Add CH and Rage into the equation and, well...

If you could almost psychology feel what your character is experiencing, hit by that move, you'd crumple onto the ground, curl into the fetal position and pee on yourself.

Deathfist is one of the most iconic moves in Tekken and fighting games period. Also, it's one of the scariest. Add CH and Rage into the equation and, well...

If you could almost psychology feel what your character is experiencing, hit by that move, you'd crumple onto the ground, curl into the fetal position and pee on yourself.
When I got the message, I almost felt bad for the guy. Almost.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I haven't played since Sunday. Way too busy but I got time tonight to hit the lab with Kazumi.

Her f34 I believe. I think it's her float move looks really interesting but is it worse then master Raven' s which I thinks hers is super quick and looks like it can be cancelled.

As anyone messed with her enough to draw a good conclusion with MR before I got it up with Kazumi?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I haven't played since Sunday. Way too busy but I got time tonight to hit the lab with Kazumi.

Her f34 I believe. I think it's her float move looks really interesting but is it worse then master Raven' s which I thinks hers is super quick and looks like it can be cancelled.

As anyone messed with her enough to draw a good conclusion with MR before I got it up with Kazumi?
Kazumi's command dash/float stance is garbage, on paper at least. You can sidestep/sidewalk into crouch and launch everything she does out of it. from f3 into the stance, the 2 aka wind god fist high extension is safe on block (but obviously duckable) and you'll get launched if you press buttons but everything else can be interrupted or traded with a standing 4 or faster moves, all the mids can be stepped and only the hellsweep type low has any tracking, but that can be solved by sidestepping into crouch. Her only + on block mid comes from that stance is well. The running 2 is actually negative on block, around -3 to -4. her df2 Shoryuken high crushes and is around i17 but negative a million on block and the 2nd hit whiffs off axis (the tiger). Her df1-series, despite what you may have thought is nowhere near as good as Heihachi's. It can be stepped right (her left), and the first hit is -3 on block, which makes a significant difference in how much less time you can delay the 2nd hit and have it be uninterruptible. Unlike Heihachi's the delayed 2 can also be stepped. If df1 hits off-axis the 2nd hit will also whiff and you can get launched for that whiff. Her fF4 axekick launcher is like -7 on block. All her jab strings jail and she has no extensions that could be delayed or used as a lockdown tool. Her "pressure" in my opinion is totally bootlegged and there is no real reason to respect her options, just step into moves every now and then after blocking her pokes and there is very little she can do to discourage that.

I am not saying she is unviable, I bet a lot of people who played Jinpachi looked to her to be the "No execution Mishima", but she has no dumb shit. Stiff punishment, generic hop kick, half decent poking aaaaand... that's it. Jinpachi had a skimmed movelist as well, but at least he had a few moves that were borderline broken OP. Kazumi is just way too honest IMO to be worth consideration.

Reactions: GAV