What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I know that EWGF is pro shit i just wanted to see if i could do one. Some of the moves that also have :r STAR :d:qtr were hard to pull off. Dragon uppercut i could barely get half the time and when i did i didn't do anything different. Jumping Mid & Low kick i could do easily. Spinning Demon & SD uppercut i did most of the time. I just find it weird that all these moves have the same inputs except for the last button but they have varying degrees of difficulty.

How do i return to neutral on pad anyway? Its a button press not a stick shouldn't it return to neutral immediately after i press forward? So shouldn't :rSTAR :d:qtr just be a DP motion?
Are you on pad or stick, i used to use a lot of muscles to do this move, now that JDCR has shown how to do it, i don't even finch, and i'm starting to less and less using too much effort to get the move out, and this has helped me figured one thing, even the slightest tap forward will count.

The trick its not how fast you do, its how you time the :qtrRP thing, its said that the game gives you 2 frames to execute it, but you should try as much to press both at the same time.

Just keep yourself relaxed and try to hit it normaly, its just tap forward, do d then df as you press 2 at the same time.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So, through some reading it seems like Claudio has access to some very strong stuff , powerful tools that don't require crazt ability and game knowledge to get mileage out of.. ie, a great newb character.. but Claudio himself isn't considered particularly strong. Tier lists* putting him in the average/middle cstagory fairly often. Why is he considered so average? Everything I read about him is full of compliments and info on everything he can do, and very little on things he can't, so I'm not seeing the weakness(s) that keep him from being thought much stronger.

And Leo.. Leo seems to be thought of as borderline OP in some lists.. showing up as SS rank and things like that. What about him warrants this super lofty placement? When I read character info and primers I see a lot about wall damage/game and such but there isn't a clear "this is why he's one of the absolute strongest characters in the game" kinda stuff.

*A note on tier lists.. I'm using the lists to kind of order my thoughts and rank ideas and tools because I have no real game knowledge to base my own decisions on yet. I understand that in Tekken tier lists are largely arbitrary because the nature of the game is such that anyone can win, even at extremely high levels of play because in T7, far more than any other FG I have ever come across, you're playing the player more than the character. Just trying to clarify my thoughts some.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
So, through some reading it seems like Claudio has access to some very strong stuff , powerful tools that don't require crazt ability and game knowledge to get mileage out of.. ie, a great newb character.. but Claudio himself isn't considered particularly strong. Tier lists* putting him in the average/middle cstagory fairly often. Why is he considered so average? Everything I read about him is full of compliments and info on everything he can do, and very little on things he can't, so I'm not seeing the weakness(s) that keep him from being thought much stronger.

And Leo.. Leo seems to be thought of as borderline OP in some lists.. showing up as SS rank and things like that. What about him warrants this super lofty placement? When I read character info and primers I see a lot about wall damage/game and such but there isn't a clear "this is why he's one of the absolute strongest characters in the game" kinda stuff.

*A note on tier lists.. I'm using the lists to kind of order my thoughts and rank ideas and tools because I have no real game knowledge to base my own decisions on yet. I understand that in Tekken tier lists are largely arbitrary because the nature of the game is such that anyone can win, even at extremely high levels of play because in T7, far more than any other FG I have ever come across, you're playing the player more than the character. Just trying to clarify my thoughts some.
The easiest way to kompete early on is to build your arsenal around frame data. This will give you survivability. (I know its not a real word. Bear with me.) It will allow you to operate freely without eating big damage combos unless your opponent reads you like a book - and this will take time, even for seasoned veterans. This way will buy time in matches with better players because they won't dismiss you as a noob or scrub right off the bat.

From there, if you really want to get good, learn how to play the neutral and build your repetoire slowly - through reps...

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!

I'm gonna tell you what every good Tekken player has told me: Don't base your decisions on or spend time thinking about tier lists, because of all fighting game franchises, they matter the LEAST in Tekken. It is much more important to actually play Leo and Claudio and determine which one works best for you.

FYI, I have yet to see Leo win a big tournament. Bronson took a tourney using Claudio in the finals and Saint, one of the best Korean Tekken masters today, mains and has won Evo using Jack-7 who is apparently also "mid-tier", but lookit, tiers are a lot closer than what you would think, coming from other games, and they are so close that it's pointless to consider them until you reach the absolute, tippy top master level class. Ignore them.

I picked Leo because of play style and comfort in training mode. That's it. I didn't go looking for anyone high on some arbitrary ranking system and if I did. I'd probably get blown up worse, forcing myself to pick a character that doesn't fit me.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Add me on psn guys: chakkdizzle

I play king. I'm learning but my movement has a long way to go. Have my punishes down though at least.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Patch dates for Tekken 7 on PC, PS4 & XB1

The TEKKEN team is actively working on improving the Tekken 7 game experience for everybody. This is currently our top priority and we appreciate your patience. We will be releasing a number of patches in the coming days:

June 7th: We’re releasing a patch for the PC version to improve security and update Denuvo. It’s important for us to note that this patch was developed concurrently and did not push back the patches addressing online issues (see below).

End of the week: a PlayStation 4 patch to address online stability including matchmaking issues, and bug fixes, will be released. We’ll have more detailed info to share soon about this patch.

Next week: a similar patch to the PS4 version will be released on PC and Xbox One to address online stability and bug fixes.

Stay tuned to our official channels for more info shortly, and as always, we’ll keep monitoring the situation and collecting your feedback about Tekken 7. Thank you for playing!

Source: http://eu.tekken.com/#!/en/news/patch-dates-for-tekken-7-on-pc-ps4-xb1

Harada must not be a fan of his game being cracked in 4 days lol.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Well at least we know the timetable, thanks @Sutter Pain .

It's not like I'd notice connectivity issues now, since I'm spending all my time in practice mode. I've got my eyes on this weekend to finally take my baby Leo online and get her sheet pushed in and back.

If I do have problems with ranked, well, Arcade mode, here we come!

I started there as a casual player of many different fighting games, many moons ago, and I'm not ashamed to return in my Tekken infancy... Gotta start somewhere.

Patch dates for Tekken 7 on PC, PS4 & XB1

The TEKKEN team is actively working on improving the Tekken 7 game experience for everybody. This is currently our top priority and we appreciate your patience. We will be releasing a number of patches in the coming days:

June 7th: We’re releasing a patch for the PC version to improve security and update Denuvo. It’s important for us to note that this patch was developed concurrently and did not push back the patches addressing online issues (see below).

End of the week: a PlayStation 4 patch to address online stability including matchmaking issues, and bug fixes, will be released. We’ll have more detailed info to share soon about this patch.

Next week: a similar patch to the PS4 version will be released on PC and Xbox One to address online stability and bug fixes.

Stay tuned to our official channels for more info shortly, and as always, we’ll keep monitoring the situation and collecting your feedback about Tekken 7. Thank you for playing!

Source: http://eu.tekken.com/#!/en/news/patch-dates-for-tekken-7-on-pc-ps4-xb1

Harada must not be a fan of his game being cracked in 4 days lol.
It has been known for a long time that Harada is not a fan of PC for these reasons even though he is a big pc gamer, It sucks that these things happen but at least the Tekken team has addressed these issues and the patches are coming fast.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Now that the honeymoon period is over, it's time for some real talk. As epic as the gameplay is, if this wasn't Tekken itself I would probably be incredibly furious over a lot of things.

-Less offline modes than previous Tekkens. No Survival mode, no team battle (personal favorite), ridiculous arcade battle. Story mode quality reduced overall, less scenes, less actor dialogue, less a lot.
-Move lists not containing frame data. It's 2017.
-Vast reduction in customization from T6 and TTT2. Inexcusable. Customs went from godlike and unique, to almost all the outfits being generic full roster outfits. Downsized items (no more unique gloves, boots, etc). Hair custom used to be epic, now it's trash. Good pieces of cloths that characters had in TTT2 and even T6 are now gone, and replaced by nothing. But they found a way to add even more stupid pieces like extra fish.
-Online launched broken. No wonder Harada was so quiet about online pre-release.
-Over 7 frames of offline input lag, more online by default.
-Fail online modes. Only 3, and 2 function stupidly. In Tournament mode if the host leaves the entire tourney ends instead of host migration. Same thing in player match lobbies. Private matches cannot revenge match so you have to go all the way out each match and reselect, but random player quick match can. Fail.
-2 years of arcade testing and play, yet there's still infinites, silly glitches and such on release.
-The pollution of footsie play with armored focus attacks and armored supers.
-Tailspin is a remade bound advertised as an innovative change.
-Dubious omissions of heavy fan base characters like Lei and Julia.

For a game that took an infinity to launch I can't pretend like this is ok. All and all, if I'm being completely honest, this launch has made me appreciate what the NRS team has done with Inj2, and how they have progressed each game. I believe Tekken has regressed as a whole, and only survives that regression because the gameplay at it's core is so amazing that it has longevity if you can simply play people, and there is a loyal fan base behind the game. It may be time for Harada to go and get some fresh blood in there. The Vince McMahon of the scene.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I'm gonna tell you what every good Tekken player has told me: Don't base your decisions on or spend time thinking about tier lists, because of all fighting game franchises, they matter the LEAST in Tekken. It is much more important to actually play Leo and Claudio and determine which one works best for you.

FYI, I have yet to see Leo win a big tournament. Bronson took a tourney using Claudio in the finals and Saint, one of the best Korean Tekken masters today, mains and has won Evo using Jack-7 who is apparently also "mid-tier", but lookit, tiers are a lot closer than what you would think, coming from other games, and they are so close that it's pointless to consider them until you reach the absolute, tippy top master level class. Ignore them.

I picked Leo because of play style and comfort in training mode. That's it. I didn't go looking for anyone high on some arbitrary ranking system and if I did. I'd probably get blown up worse, forcing myself to pick a character that doesn't fit me.

I know, I stated the same general thing in my post, but understanding what makes a character strong as to do with how that character will play later as I learn then and learn to capitalize on third strengths. I'm not using the lists to find a main, I'm not really using the lists at all beyond understanding how characters interplay.

For example, Leo is considered super strong but I don't understand why. When I read her description it tells me some, but it doesn't explain the strength shes credited with having. That's all im trying to understand, like I said the lists are arbitrary , and I'm not trying to use them to pick a character. I found two I really like, I'm just curious what Claudio has that makes him "weaker" than Leo. My post was meant for the sake of conversation than anything else.

I still have to spend a little time with a couple of the female characters (Leo doesn't count. Even on his/her wiki page she's called he more than once) and see if anyone usurps Leo and Claudio. AoP sounds super fun and makes me kinda wanna try what's her doodle..

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I know, I stated the same general thing in my post, but understanding what makes a character strong as to do with how that character will play later as I learn then and learn to capitalize on third strengths. I'm not using the lists to find a main, I'm not really using the lists at all beyond understanding how characters interplay.

For example, Leo is considered super strong but I don't understand why. When I read her description it tells me some, but it doesn't explain the strength shes credited with having. That's all im trying to understand, like I said the lists are arbitrary , and I'm not trying to use them to pick a character. I found two I really like, I'm just curious what Claudio has that makes him "weaker" than Leo. My post was meant for the sake of conversation than anything else.

I still have to spend a little time with a couple of the female characters (Leo doesn't count. Even on his/her wiki page she's called he more than once) and see if anyone usurps Leo and Claudio. AoP sounds super fun and makes me kinda wanna try what's her doodle..
Xiaoyu... Ling Xiaoyu.

Anyway, I'm not getting your thought process here. If we agree that Tekken 7 tier lists are arbitrary and not to be taken seriously, why are we seriously analysing them? If I'm you, and I see a list on the internet that puts character's in tiers, but they give no reasoning for them, I'd question the validity of that list. Who made it? How long have they been playing and how do they perform as a player? Should I take them seriously at all and if not, the list is useless. I'd look sideways at any Tekken tier list with any "SS" tier, regardless of who wrote it.

I'm sure that the best way to understand character interplay is to play those matchups. Even studying video is inherently flawed, because each player may play the matchup incorrectly. Personally I think the best teachers are lab time and frame data.

The FGC as a whole, uses tier lists like a Cliff notes cheat sheet, so they don't have to get down and dirty with the actual frame data and actual lab time. But anyways, that's my two cents. Strictly my opinion as always.

Is there anyone here that doesn't play lilli, asuka, Chloe or Elise and happens to be on US steam? I literally have not played over half the cast more then once and it's getting annoying. Everyone from the TZ discord and online seems to only play one of those 4.

We need more steam users from here on our trym discord.

@buyacushun can you post the discord link again for new players?
Im a King main and i play on PC steam USA East. Also im on the TYM T7 Discord.

First as everyone has stated tier lists are basically nothing in tekken. Now that thats out of the way we can move on to talk about how placements on the list are decided.

To my understanding, Japanese and Korean players base their tier lists around which character has the best(and possibly most) tools for any given situation. Tekken is a game of situations more than a game of matchups which is one of the things that seperates it from other fighters. You need to know what options your character has in each situation that he/she is put in. Top tier characters usually have multiple great options for tons of situations, were as low tier characters has less than stellar options for a few situations or maybe dont have any option at all for certain situations. Leo (and Dragunov) is considered top tier on tier lists because the best possible options for almost any given situation.

So leo ( and Drag) are very well rounded characters. Although this doesn't really make them broken like it would in a normal fighter (*Cough*ALIEN*COUGH*). So basically you want your character to be able to have an answer for everything and a strong one at that. Some characters just lack the ability to handle certain situations or they have poor options to deal with it. This makes them fall lower on a Tekken tier list.

Hope that sums it up well for you.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

@Azarashi Elder nailed it on the head. The new school "5 characters are S Tier" bs is garbage. S tier is MMH, Kabal, Tekken 4 Jin, vanilla Bob, etc. There's nothing like that in this game. The most overused term. A+ tier would be people like Ling, Drag, and Leo, 3 of the clear best characters in the game. As far as the specific characters you're asking about.

Leo is top tier due to, well, having like no weaknesses, and being good or great at everything. Great mixups, great staggers, high damage, some of the best wall carry in the game, wall of death game, strong lows, great CHs, great panic tools, great... If you wanted to nitpick, you could classify something as a "weakness", but it wuold be hard. Very few characters are that good at everything in the game.

Claudio does not pass mid tier because he isn't as strong as upper or high tiers. He is possibly the easiest to use in the game, which adds to the perception that he is better than he is sometimes. Bad unsafe lows without starburst active, playstyle has to be more high risk/high reward against defensive play space characters (BuffAsuka), can struggle breaking off of heavy poke pressure characters like Nina and Steve, are a few of his known weaknesses. Can't compare Claudio to the likes of the Ling's and Devil Jin's of the world.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
TYM Discord: https://discord.gg/fEGwQbD

@SaltShaker I agree with some of your post and I think changes like customization (supposedly getting hundreds in 2 burts as DLC) are a result of higher ups changing things. I don't know when the video game industry (especially Japan) will get out of this weird "make crazy decisions trying to change with the times thing". Not that DLC cosmetics is crazy but it feels like Harada is changing a bit from his public opinion. Which includes no frame data so who knows when we'll get that.

I feel like some of this is just the natural direction for Tekken to go in.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Best competitive Tekken 7 sites similar to TYM? I need a place where I can read-up on framedata and stuff like that.

I don't have the game yet but I'm thinking about getting into it. I want to read more about it first, though.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
How is alisa? She's the only character I'm interested in and I've never touched a tekken in my life