What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Paul is definitely better in T7 than TTT2, can't say anything about the individual changes though. If you play online only then playing with people you know and using headsets will dramatically speed up the learning process as you can ask right away and get instant feedback without having to lab everything yourself, as for how long it takes to "git gud" that's impossible to say, everyone learns the game differently and focuses on different things at different times. The speed of picking up the game depends on your choice of mains as well. As Paul you'll have access to high dmg punishers with easy inputs. The ultimate punishment multithrow is not really mandatory to learn for playing him, but that one requires a lot of practice to pull off consistently. Just frame Demo man is easier but that one is very important to practice. qcf1 loop combos are also not really mandatory because you can get a shitload of dmg even without being able to do them and you barely even see anyone trying them in tournaments, they are more of a swaggy combo video type of stuff and in a real match it's likely that you'll just drop them.

At advanced levels, Paul is hard to win with due to lack of safe options and a lackluster poking game. Against online randoms however you can just go ham and plow them over in a few hits.

There are really no bad match-ups and any character can beat any other, but personally I feel like Lee is really fkn hard to beat as Paul. Sure I've only sandbagged as and labbed Paul and I am not that great with him but playing against my usual sparring partner who mains Lee feels just absolutely suffocating. Generic d4 (db4 with Paul) is your only saving grace to not get poked to death, everything else carries an inherent risk of being stepped and launched or simply interrupted with a meaty 2,2,3 or 4,4 on CH. You really have to take big risks to make a Lee player respect anything you do. dash up deathfist can also be blown up by Lee simply reacting to you moving forward and sticking out b4 or b4-Hitman stance. Only way to stop him from abusing b4 and 4,4 at neutral is to dash forward, block and wait for him to do it then death fist to punish and you really have to be close to do it so dashing forward until close enough then backdashing again really doesn't cut it, doing this allows him to just come in with his 1,2-mist step, df1 or b1,1-HMS if he doesn't commit to the b4 because you are just standing there and Lee gets to apply his Poke-a-thon gameplan once again where his tools give him a gigantic advantage over Paul, at least on paper this is how I see it.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
I remember when I was a kid I used to try and learn characters 10-hit combos, cause I felt so cool doing them lol.
However I never see anyone do them online, are they not practical and just for swag?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Bryan is such a fundamental character, its going to be really tough to beat him if he stays in this state at the final version, the new kick they gave him makes him so relevant now.
This is why I'm a Bryan main lol. If your spacing and fundamentals are on point Bryan rewards you so heavy. An all "what you put in is what you get" type of character. He's so good I hope he stays exactly like this for release. If only QCB3 had stayed the safe version haha.

I remember when I was a kid I used to try and learn characters 10-hit combos, cause I felt so cool doing them lol.
However I never see anyone do them online, are they not practical and just for swag?
Nah they aren't too good for competitive play. Once I see it coming I can just parry your first low for combo for example. Counters are too easy so you don't see them at higher levels. I remember back in Tekken 1 and 2 as a kid thinking I was the master because I could do 10-hit combos lol. That Baek oxoxxxxxox that launched was the King of the Noob combo LOL.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
This is why I'm a Bryan main lol. If your spacing and fundamentals are on point Bryan rewards you so heavy. An all "what you put in is what you get" type of character. He's so good I hope he stays exactly like this for release. If only QCB3 had stayed the safe version haha.

Nah they aren't too good for competitive play. Once I see it coming I can just parry your first low for combo for example. Counters are too easy so you don't see them at higher levels. I remember back in Tekken 1 and 2 as a kid thinking I was the master because I could do 10-hit combos lol. That Baek oxoxxxxxox that launched was the King of the Noob combo LOL.
Lol I still remember Yoshimitsu's, easy as fuck and the last 4 hits are unblockable cause they're sword attacks #broken

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Surely you mean "not launch punishable"? As a fellow Bryan main, I don't recall qcb3 ever being safe.

Grr people talking about Paul and leaving me out of the conversation...
B+1,2 is still 12F but it is now high,high.
The deathfist damage doesnt really matter since you are only using it for punishment and will likely get the massive counter hit damage.

Surely you mean "not launch punishable"? As a fellow Bryan main, I don't recall qcb3 ever being safe.
Im sure it was in the vanilla version.

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Yea that's what I meant lol. But before in the pre-Akuma version it was actually safe.
That's weird... According to TekkenZaibatsu, it went from -14 to -13 (ttt2->t7 vanilla). And according to rbnorway t7fr frame data, it's still -13. However I remember Mr. Naps saying that it got nerfed to -15 in FR. Confusion city.:confused:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That's weird... According to TekkenZaibatsu, it went from -14 to -13 (ttt2->t7 vanilla). And according to rbnorway t7fr frame data, it's still -13. However I remember Mr. Naps saying that it got nerfed to -15 in FR. Confusion city.:confused:
Lolol! I can't remember specifically, but I remember when playing during the site tests I couldn't be launched on block, or even poked. Think it was -9 at some point during that time.

I think it was like brought it poke punishable, buffed to safe, and nerfed to launch punishable. I'm like 95% sure it was safe during the the site tests but can't fully remember. Move would be hella broken as safe though lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Before the last patch, Paul was the stupidiest character in the game, now i think the stupid one is Xiaoyu, her stance is good that avoid mids, half of the cast can't even hit her once she enters her ducking stance.

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Lolol! I can't remember specifically, but I remember when playing during the site tests I couldn't be launched on block, or even poked. Think it was -9 at some point during that time.

I think it was like brought it poke punishable, buffed to safe, and nerfed to launch punishable. I'm like 95% sure it was safe during the the site tests but can't fully remember. Move would be hella broken as safe though lol.
Yeah, no question about it. Safe, high damage unreactable low that launches on CH? Get outta here.
is there a PC tekken game worth playing that would give me some actual, useful practice for t7?
Tekken 6 on ppsspp emulator is your best bet on PC. Sad!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Before the last patch, Paul was the stupidiest character in the game, now i think the stupid one is Xiaoyu, her stance is good that avoid mids, half of the cast can't even hit her once she enters her ducking stance.
I was literally watching some Xiaoyu 5 minutes ago in smh more lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I was literally watching some Xiaoyu 5 minutes ago in smh more lol.
Yeah, i was watching her matches a few days back, its like her room of comfort now, whatever danger she is facing, when in doubt, just butterfly stance, and then launch.

I'm not too concerned because every top character now will get hit by the nerf hammer, tekken follows the virtua fighter philosophy that a certain archtype of character needs to be top tier, for example, in VF Akira is the toppest character, in Tekken are the mishimas, the only things in between this achievement and you playing it is the execution barrier and character knowledge.

So Xiaoyu, Bry, Steve are going to get hit for sure, the Mishimas won't be touched anymore because it feels like the last nerf they received is pretty steady, you can now whiff punish eletrics, and side step either way, so it becomes a tool much harder to abuse now, the whole purpose of Eletrics now is just for whiff punish at the most part, so Mishimas got a new challenge to stablish their neutral now, which is why characters like Heihachi and Kazuya are being played the very least and poking characters are basically dominating tekken right now like bry, katarina, steve, Raven, except for Xiao, she doesn't fit the equation.

CaptainCM

Certified trash
So Xiaoyu, Bry, Steve are going to get hit for sure, the Mishimas won't be touched anymore because it feels like the last nerf they received is pretty steady, you can now whiff punish eletrics, and side step either way, so it becomes a tool much harder to abuse now, the whole purpose of Eletrics now is just for whiff punish at the most part, so Mishimas got a new challenge to stablish their neutral now, which is why characters like Heihachi and Kazuya are being played the very least and poking characters are basically dominating tekken right now like bry, katarina, steve, Raven, except for Xiao, she doesn't fit the equation.
Dragunov will most likely get nerfed as well.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Dragunov will most likely get nerfed as well.
Most characters became so different now that if you don't main them or don't play in constant basis its kinda hard to keep track.

A already forgot that Law is also flying under the radar right now. And he is actually on the nerf wishlist of most ppl

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Most characters became so different now that if you don't main them or don't play in constant basis its kinda hard to keep track.

A already forgot that Law is also flying under the radar right now. And he is actually on the nerf wishlist of most ppl
Yeah, it was never an issue with Tekken before. It'd usually just get one big revision, so you'd simply go through the changelog and you are golden. It's very hard to keep up with such frequent changes without an access to the game.