What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Ok. So, shitty shit.

DBFz is eating my fighting game time lol.

Ive been sorta poking around, trying to decide if I want to keep Shaheen or pick up someone else.. and I am genuinely considering Paul. Not because of Knee's recent rampage or anything.. I just kinda like Paul's short, to the point combos, I like his semi-realistic and straight forward looking moveset.. I def like the whole mix up thing he's got going.. and he has some really nice frame data sprinkled around on a lot of his stuff.

I like a ton of characters in tekken, but i want to focus on DBFz and need characters that dont take huge execution. I know Paul does have some tricks with crouch cancels and all that, but by and large he seems pretty straight forward execution and gameplan wise. I wish he wasnt so heavily played, my stupid desire to be a special snowflake make's me want to play the more rare characters but honestly, its all rare to me since my time is limited in the first place.

Meh. I dunno. Leo and Paul are an interesting pair lol.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Ok. So, shitty shit.

DBFz is eating my fighting game time lol.

Ive been sorta poking around, trying to decide if I want to keep Shaheen or pick up someone else.. and I am genuinely considering Paul. Not because of Knee's recent rampage or anything.. I just kinda like Paul's short, to the point combos, I like his semi-realistic and straight forward looking moveset.. I def like the whole mix up thing he's got going.. and he has some really nice frame data sprinkled around on a lot of his stuff.

I like a ton of characters in tekken, but i want to focus on DBFz and need characters that dont take huge execution. I know Paul does have some tricks with crouch cancels and all that, but by and large he seems pretty straight forward execution and gameplan wise. I wish he wasnt so heavily played, my stupid desire to be a special snowflake make's me want to play the more rare characters but honestly, its all rare to me since my time is limited in the first place.

Meh. I dunno. Leo and Paul are an interesting pair lol.
Paul is a backsway character so his backdash cancels are a bit different to normal ones. Apart from that he is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

EntropicByDesign

Paul is a backsway character so his backdash cancels are a bit different to normal ones. Apart from that he is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I already do the back back DB back DB back DB back etc.. method, I never did the quarter circle back motion. However if I'm sloppy on my inputs I get backsways here and there so I really need to tighten up my cancels if I were to play Paul on the regular.

EntropicByDesign

Paul must be hella popular in USA or something because I swear I have only seen 2 Pauls in all my fights.
That's interesting.. there were some ranked stats I saw in a video by Framewhisperer I think, updated ones, not the old old ones from ATP and showed Paul as the absolute highest pick in the cross section they took, by a significant margin. Dragunov was 2nd I think but they were practically in a league by themselves in terms of pick rates.

Granted though, the data was only a specific ranked spread, I think it was yellow/gold ranks.. so maybe he's more rare above and below. I could see that.. his 50/50 stuff would carry a decent player pretty far by itself. It's not a gimmick, it's a legit danger.. but I can also see the strength of that ultimately holding players back in the end because they focus too much on it and don't grow other aspects of their game accordingly.

I'm giving Paul some thought. I don't have the time and energy to really grind difficult characters and Paul is a nice basic character on the surface with more happening under the hood than it might seem - meaning I can grow how I play him if I want to. Leo isnt going anywhere though.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

EntropicByDesign

I see his strength really as the ability to get decent damage off of everything due to being able to handle pretty much the whole cast as well as being able to deal with stupid stuff like Eddy's RLX and Ling's AoP stances.
Fair enough. I didnt know he dealt particularly well with Rlx and aop..that's a nice piece of knowledge. I'm giving some thought to trying him out

EntropicByDesign

I think you should try him out, I think you will enjoy using Paul.
Awesome, I think next time I get time to sit down I'll try Paul out then..I have some notes and combos written down in my notebooks I'll dig out. But if you have any advice on solid moves or combos or strategy or anything, I'm always willing to learn.

Does Paul have a 1+2 break throw?

I look forward to trying him out.

Awesome, I think next time I get time to sit down I'll try Paul out then..I have some notes and combos written down in my notebooks I'll dig out. But if you have any advice on solid moves or combos or strategy or anything, I'm always willing to learn.

Does Paul have a 1+2 break throw?

I look forward to trying him out.

More or less everything is covered in these 2 threads.
Combos and Oki: http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=132623
Punishes (All types) Best pokes etc: http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=132519
Paul has 2 throws that are 1+2 break, one leaves the opponent close to you and the other pushes away but it can wall splat if near a wall.
If you have any other questions, I can try and help.

EntropicByDesign

Played Steve this morning a little bit.. I doubt anyone has been paying attention to my ramblings, but originally he was who I wanted to main, but felt he was too difficulty to play/understand/implement for me, and I said Id revisit him eventually..

Played a guy I met a while ago (not a member here) on PC. Genbu Bob and Josie, gold something or other DJin and Kaz. Good player. We played for a bit this morning and I was getting mopped of course.. and not the mopped where you're still enjoying yourself, but the mopped that's just frustrating and annoying. I was already tired, so I was gonna call it done, but decided to play Steve, purely on a whim, for a match or two just for the hell of it.

Sadly, this isnt a story about how I magically powered through to victory! or someshit, cause he still mercilessly beat my ass. My movement is crappy at the best of times, but it was triply awful this morning.. but still. Got Steve out - havent had a chance to practice Paul enough to be comfortable with him - and started to mess around.. Steve's movements just clicked nicely for me.. I felt a fluid and fast and tricky, and I was able to set up, but fail miserably to capitalize on, some great whiffs and missteps on his part with my BDCs and Steve's weave stances, backsway and general SS. It was just...fun. I realized after that I can actually play Steve now, lol. I didnt feel just gridlocked with possibility or confusion but I could make better sense of my own offense and how I could flow into and out of stances, and like I mentioned before, I was able to set up some nice scenarios that once I grind out some combo stuff and am less rusty on Steve, would have turned in to very nice damage won me a couple rounds, and at one point, would have one me the only match I almost took, lol. I managed to hold on after losing two rounds and bring it back.. his back was to the wall and we were both around 15% health, maybe a tad more. I was poking a little and back up, trying to fake a low attempt but he wasnt biting, so i came in and staggered a couple flicker jabs, using fear of the mid extension to keep him standing (as low as we both were he couldnt afford to risk that mid), then backdashed, whiffed into flicker into backsway. He came out swinging to catch the whiff, but he whiffed due to the backsway, then I botched the followup and he won the round - but I was so proud of that sequence I went away smiling.

Shrug. TL:DR - Ima play Steve and Paul when I find myself Tekkening, along with leo of course. Going to need to spend some time with Steve though getting some of my routes down, cause currently im missing TONS of opportunities.

EntropicByDesign

Anyone want to play some Tekken in about an hour? Maybe hour and a half? DBFZ is consuming my time but I gotta keep working at Tekken when I have the time.

Kinda wanna debut my Paul, but might play some Steve too.

Israel

Noob
Question:
I was always curious, does playing online wired make a difference for you vs wireless? Wondering if its even possible to achieve 5 bar connection with certain players wired. Do YOU get 5bar connections with players? Or at best you just get the usual 4 bar?

I could easily get an Ethernet cord however, with the complaints about the online mode since the launch, i found it unnecessary to bother. Because i assumed the same ones complaining were also wired players saying the online was not good?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Question:
I was always curious, does playing online wired make a difference for you vs wireless? Wondering if its even possible to achieve 5 bar connection with certain players wired. Do YOU get 5bar connections with players? Or at best you just get the usual 4 bar?

I could easily get an Ethernet cord however, with the complaints about the online mode since the launch, i found it unnecessary to bother. Because i assumed the same ones complaining were also wired players saying the online was not good?
Wifi will always fluctuate. I get steady 5 bars to Scandinavia on wired-wired. One dude was fluctuating between 4 and 5 and I asked him if he is wired and he said yes, but that was because his girlfriend was watching Netflix or something like that.

EntropicByDesign

Question:

TL;DR: Wireless is BAD for online gaming and its doubly bad for games where fractions of a second matter - like fighting games and competitive shooters. Use it ONLY if you simply have no other choice.. and even then keep in mind that you arent just screwing up your own experience, but the experience of the people you match against as well.

Ok, I'll try to keep this short and not do what I tend to do and write a novel.

Wireless internet is fast. It's just as fast as wired internet as far as games are concerned and in many cases, as far as anything is concerned. It also has the bulk transfer ability of wired.. ie, you can achieve the same ping times to a server with wireless as you can with wired and you can download the same amount of data at a time as well. HOWEVER - its not quite that cut and dry.

It's about response time and consistency, not pure data transfer speed. Usually when people say speed they are referring to download speeds. Most people have between 10-50mb/s connections. I myself have 450mb/s. For online gaming, that kind of bandwidth is irrelevant. These games move very small amounts of data back and forth.. a stable 10mb/s connection will perform exactly as well as my monster 450mb/s will in this department. It boils down to response times, or pings.. So please keep this in mind when someone spouts a bunch of horseshit about wireless being just as fast as wired. It is just as fast for all intents and purposes.. but that DOESNT MATTER.

Wireless, in a perfect scenario is totally fine.. but the real world isnt a perfect scenario and we are often not in control of some of the factors that screw wireless connections up. What happens, in a very simplified way, is while the data is being transferred wireless, the signal can be interrupted and/or corrupted by a large number of outside influences.. Cell phone signals and other wireless signals overlapping, interference from the numerous electronics around us all the time, all manner of shit like that can cause the packets of data being sent back and forth to arrive as gibberish, or not at all. Then the packets have to be re-requested and re-sent. This happens extremely quickly, and when listening to music or watching a movie or something its never noticed at all.. but in a fighting game, we are dealing with partitions of time as small as 1/60th of a second.. So when the wireless data gets screwed up, it's significantly more noticeable.. It results in hitches and catches and lagg spikes, then everything works fine, then it spikes and falls on its face.

I dont mean to go in to a ton ofdetail, but just saying "Wireless is shitty and you should NEVER use it unless you absolutely cannot help it" doesn't work. People dont understand WHY its worse and shouldn't be used, and just yell mindless things like "ITS JUST AS FAST HURR DURR" or start trying to rationalize because they dont want to accept that they are probably the source of lagg in all their own matches.. or at least just as guilty as anyone else. Additionally, this is not just my random opinion but has been backed up by numerous tests and experiments from third parties like gaming and networking websites and the data and relevant info is posted all over the internet. PC Gamer has a nice study they posted for instance.

Israel

Noob
Thanks for the information guys lol.

Yes i know the benefits of wired vs wireless. Its just, in fighters i've never had an issue playing wireless. In tekken tag 2 & MKX..all my shooters, etc. In this game, the best i got was a 4bar. All the complaints that were going on made me assume it was just the game (with ppl running to pc for better expierence). but..ill go ahead and get a cord. If it doesnt work then its just xbox..or the other players

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I used Plays.TV for another session. I had 30gb free space setting and 720p quality. I think this app adds a shit ton of either display lag or input lag, I wasn't able to fkn dash block or whiff punish shit against my buddy, this happened the last time I used the app as well. I think I am gonna stop using it altogether instead of attempting to use it at a lower quality, maybe turn VSync off as well... and most of all.. get a monitor instead of using a TV.

Israel

Noob
Got the cord yesterday..

Definitely made a difference. Consistent 4 bar at least, however only a temporary fix to play..unless that CEO guy gives me something to play for. Speaking of which hes got to make a move soon.
Since the release of DBZ, it buried M-Infinite (YES!), and the next tekken major isnt till final round probably and SolCal so... he gots to release something good.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Got the cord yesterday..

Definitely made a difference. Consistent 4 bar at least, however only a temporary fix to play..unless that CEO guy gives me something to play for. Speaking of which hes got to make a move soon.
Since the release of DBZ, it buried M-Infinite (YES!), and the next tekken major isnt till final round probably and SolCal so... he gots to release something good.
RIGHT!? Thats where all my time has gone to, so sadly i havent been playing Tekken at all. I hope we get a release date of Noctis and hopefully some more customization items for each character, something!

I just bought my Hitbox, today. I'm very excited to use it for this game. I'm still having a blast having the game, Akuma has just taken over my time in this game. I don't know why but his inputs and playstyle just keep entertained for hours. I guess it helps that he's one of my favorite fighting game characters of all-time, possibly my favorite.

What do you guys think about a possible T7:AE? A waste of time or a worthwhile installment? Overhauling the games online wasn't a frugal endeavor for Harada and the crew and this game is pretty healthy. But it does need some type of news either a new character/items or mechanic.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I just bought my Hitbox, today. I'm very excited to use it for this game. I'm still having a blast having the game, Akuma has just taken over my time in this game. I don't know why but his inputs and playstyle just keep entertained for hours. I guess it helps that he's one of my favorite fighting game characters of all-time, possibly my favorite.

What do you guys think about a possible T7:AE? A waste of time or a worthwhile installment? Overhauling the games online wasn't a frugal endeavor for Harada and the crew and this game is pretty healthy. But it does need some type of news either a new character/items or mechanic.
AE for T7!? Da fuck for ?Question mark? Its waaaaaay more fun to play than SFV so it does not need an overhaul, it just needs new content.

EntropicByDesign

I'd like to see them get Noctis out before hell freezes over and we all die. New customization items are always nice.. but I dont think any real overhaul is needed. Tekken doesnt seem to work that way, its so invested in its legacy play that an overhaul would likely piss people off more than anything.

In a perfect world, online improvements are always welcome. More customization items would be nice. Noctis. And if we're talking genuine wishlist? I'd like to see a couple MINOR balance tweaks - and I'm not saying that for my own success rate, but because its healthy for the tournament scene. There have been some nice new additions to various top 8's but solidifying the trend by making some characters a little less "better" would be nice.