What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I'm off Tuesday, maybe this evening or tomorrow in the early afternoon just shoot me a message on PSN. I'll most likely respond
BTW, i did get your message last night and was watching my shows lol sorry mane. I already got some games in with @buyacushun and hes pretty good with Ms "Lick Your Lips If Ya Nasty" aka Katarina ;)

And OH MY SWEET GURKENS! I DID NOT KNOW TEKKEN HAD AN ONLINE TOURNAMENT MODE!! WOOOOOOO OOOOOOO that shit is fun!

If you guys have not tried that mode yet, PLEASE DO! It also has a win/loss score card for your character just like rank mode does. Its ran almost exactly like the pro tournaments, except the incentive is MAJOR fight money and very rare customization items for your character. The FM is split up between the placement you get. I did my 2nd one last night and got me 1st place! HEEEEEEEY! My Son Of Prince Eddy doin' big thangs! Y'all should try it out! If you're stressing over rank, this mode is the PERFECT stress reliever!

I fortunately finiahed my grind back to green ranks on ps4, I'm very pleased with my progress as a player. I did have trouble with two character in particular I had a Raven player give me the biggest headache. How unsafe is she? Any particular habits or block strings I should be aware of against her?

Secondly, Hworang seems to difficult to punish. I was able to adapt against the guy, but it was still a strong. The over head kick and low in the launcher kept catching me off guard. I know you can also d1 during his flamingo stance. From his stance can he only do low, mids?

Any help would be appreciated, any more Tekken fiends feel free to add me \m/

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I fortunately finiahed my grind back to green ranks on ps4, I'm very pleased with my progress as a player. I did have trouble with two character in particular I had a Raven player give me the biggest headache. How unsafe is she? Any particular habits or block strings I should be aware of against her?

Secondly, Hworang seems to difficult to punish. I was able to adapt against the guy, but it was still a strong. The over head kick and low in the launcher kept catching me off guard. I know you can also d1 during his flamingo stance. From his stance can he only do low, mids?

Any help would be appreciated, any more Tekken fiends feel free to add me \m/
Maaaan ive been so close to reach the gold ranks but stuck in limbo between the green, but I gotta take into account that ppl say it takes ALONG time to get really good in this game. So i shouldnt be frustrated with only 149 wins, in Maurader rank when ive come across ppl in their 1000 wins only in Brawler rank. In that regard, im doing juuuuuust fine ;)

To answer your question, i have not come across many Raven players now that i think about it. I do remember beating their ass, but how....hmmmm....dont remember exactly hahah. Its all SPACING because she does all the invisible shit with the counters she mostly catches with opponents who throw lots of jabs. But Eddy is a space punisher with that deadly DF3+4 launcher. I think that move will be your best friend when it comes to Raven, because she has the most damaging combos besides Akuma.

Hworang....same story. He got mad mix up game UP CLOSE, but with fast backdashing (Korean backdash) you can make him whiff and you can punish that ass. What i do is, once i knock em down, i go for a throw, and if they break, launcher. 7/10 times they're gonna push a button right after the throw because they're frantic. Even if they block the DF3+4, you still got time to block/recover and think about your next move.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Apparently, they said he will be released during the Spring. And im super hyped for him as well

Oh my broha...you pay waaaaay too much attention to Frame data instead of the character. You gotta FEEL the character, you gotta feel out his movements in different matchups to figure out what works and what doesnt work. Even Frame data has mistakes too and you're gonna rack your brain over number when you havent even played the character as much. LAME! STOP THAT SHIT! Learn through trial and error, TRUST even if you lose its more fun than doing algebra with them damn frame data numbers ;)

I agree and disagree.. I think you're right, but there's a point where if you don't have the technical understanding a knowledgeable player is going to utterly destroy you. Playing off feel is Eddy's specialty to be sure, but there are a lot of situations where it's not your turn and if you try to do anything a knowledgeable player is going to CH check you into 60+ damage.

I get ahead of myself with characters, all my notes and research are just to understand how they function at the upper levels of play, and vs a player who has at least a basic understanding of the MU. Even though I'm no-where near that level myself. But the fact is, at lower ranks, especially Greens, you can do dman near anything you want. The game is messy and crazy. It's the wild west out there with players spamming launch punishable strings into i16 launch punishable launchers into a -9 poke into.. etc. Just hammered offense, point blank, string after string regardless of frame data or the sense of it. Mashing reactable, -20+ lows and all.manner of crap. And it works vs other people doing to same, and it works vs me because I just don't have the time invested yet to know a lot of what I'm seeing,or build up the general comfort from.having played a lot of matches.

But the thing is, I can't learn the feel of a character without playing them quite a bit, but I CAN learn the frame data. And while feel is enormously important - you gotta know the underlying systems and numbers involved, or all the feel in the world won't help you. Because sometimes it's just not.your turn and a savvy player who knows this isn't going to let you do anything but holding his offense.

Now to be totally fair, Eddy breaks the rules and is probably the strongest character in the game for playing by feel. His stances and evasion make the frame data less relevant, and he has more effective health than any other character in the game as well (I'll explain this in a moment) so it's hard to measure his gambles in the same way you would some other characters... But I still want a food fundamental understanding of when im + and when I'm not and when I can risk certain things. The downside here is when I play in the soupy mess of green ranks (which I clearly still belong in), I spend more time thinking about the technical side of things when playing vs opponents who's entire strategy is to mash harder than you and hope they land more random launchers... But the idea is to persevere, and when I get comfortable and a good handle on what's going on and DO make.it out and a little closer to the "real" game, I'll have a decent foundation to work with and not be totally blind-sided.

I'm not sure what to do with Eddy just yet, I like far too many characters and don't know where to fit him in. So I plan to just mess about with him in training mode from time to time and if I get to the point I feel comfortable on him, I might try some.games.

Ok, so the Eddy health comment. Because of Eddy's stances and general movement a lot of times when you hit him he'll float out, or turn a weird way or spin strangely, so punishes or interrupts or CHs don't get full damage. Some of his stuff seems to count ad airborne as well so when you tag him you get that neutered damage scaling thing. This all amounts to having to put your hands on him more often than other characters, effectively giving him more health.

EntropicByDesign

Also, I may relearn the game on stick. Not because it'll make me a better.player but because stick is more fun. (There's a joke in there somewhere)

EntropicByDesign

@Eddy Wang @Anyone who knows Jin

What are *all* the primary combos you use in online matches, and what launchers are his primary?

I'm continuing my little research, and Jin is up next. I'm kinda thinking of picking up a Mishima or Mishima-ish character, just as a little side project for fun and because, honestly, landing electrics is the most satisfying thing *ever*.. but I'd like some opinions from players on the combos you find yourself using regularly.

Obviously there are a ton of resources out there for JIn, and I'll be parsing them and compiling combos for my notes and such, but practical, actually done in matches by real people combos are worth more than all the frame perfect, perfect situation, half impossible optimal stuff you see around a lot.. Or the opposite, and super basic fluff combos that are certainly easy, but do shit damage with shit wall carry.

Thanks much!

I just finished a brutal run of rank, I was doing just fine until I came across a couple gatekeepers. I can't believe how some people are stuck with over 800+wins in the green and blues. Needless to say I got demoted but regained my rank. I believe this is the hard part of the game especially when you are learning it as a new player to the series. Familiarizing yourself with MU and trying to expose the gimmicks and utilizing the proper punishes.

What I did learn was to stick with my fundamentals, be cool and play it slow. You will be surprised how much damage you can do by poking people to death. Let alone the options it opens up when they start trying to block low. I started using my throws alot more too, and using some of Drag's movement and faint options, too.

I'm now calling my PlayStation 4 the gatekeeper 4 LOL.

EntropicByDesign

I just finished a brutal run of rank, I was doing just fine until I came across a couple gatekeepers. I can't believe how some people are stuck with over 800+wins in the green and blues. Needless to say I got demoted but regained my rank. I believe this is the hard part of the game especially when you are learning it as a new player to the series. Familiarizing yourself with MU and trying to expose the gimmicks and utilizing the proper punishes.

What I did learn was to stick with my fundamentals, be cool and play it slow. You will be surprised how much damage you can do by poking people to death. Let alone the options it opens up when they start trying to block low. I started using my throws alot more too, and using some of Drag's movement and faint options, too.

Agreed. I have a bad habit of trying to force things as well. I'll decide I want to do something, or try something and it wont work for one reason or another, but rather than continue to flow with the match I get stuck in the "I want to do this" mentality and realize - too late usually - Im trying to force a launch, or a specific sequence or move. I tunnel in on that idea and lose because I stopped reacting to the match in front of me and started trying to just 'do' some random thing.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous

MAN! Them throws are KEY! I love how 98% of the cast have at least 1 command throw. It makes the mind game more challenging on making the opponent guess on how to break. Hell, im still learning to react to those (fuck King players lol)

Im stuck in the green ranks as well brotha, so we're in the same boat. Currently, I'm at Fighter....i think....But maaan we do need to play when i get back into the game probably this weekend. Trying to get my Enchantress fix first ;)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang @Anyone who knows Jin

What are *all* the primary combos you use in online matches, and what launchers are his primary?

I'm continuing my little research, and Jin is up next. I'm kinda thinking of picking up a Mishima or Mishima-ish character, just as a little side project for fun and because, honestly, landing electrics is the most satisfying thing *ever*.. but I'd like some opinions from players on the combos you find yourself using regularly.

Obviously there are a ton of resources out there for JIn, and I'll be parsing them and compiling combos for my notes and such, but practical, actually done in matches by real people combos are worth more than all the frame perfect, perfect situation, half impossible optimal stuff you see around a lot.. Or the opposite, and super basic fluff combos that are certainly easy, but do shit damage with shit wall carry.

Thanks much!
We compiled all of what you need in this link
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_7/Jin

EntropicByDesign

Fought a smurf Eddy on my Leo. I say smurf because he had a KBD as crispy as anything I've seen watching high level footage, and his punishment was exact and perfect and he didn't fail to tech a single throw in 5 matches.. You dont get teched throws, perfect punishment and crispy KBDs in light blue ranks. First time I had taken my Leo into ranked.

So..

Fucking.

Hell.

Other than the fact it was actually kind of awesome just to watch Eddy bounce around.. Jesus. I couldnt get a round. i could barely not get fucking perfected.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Fought a smurf Eddy on my Leo. I say smurf because he had a KBD as crispy as anything I've seen watching high level footage, and his punishment was exact and perfect and he didn't fail to tech a single throw in 5 matches.. You dont get teched throws, perfect punishment and crispy KBDs in light blue ranks. First time I had taken my Leo into ranked.

So..

Fucking.

Hell.

Other than the fact it was actually kind of awesome just to watch Eddy bounce around.. Jesus. I couldnt get a round. i could barely not get fucking perfected.
KBD ?Question mark?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind

So..

Fucking.

Hell.

Sounds like a pro you played from your side. Who was it? Did you see his nick?

EntropicByDesign

Sounds like a pro you played from your side. Who was it? Did you see his nick?
It was semi-gibberish, this wasn't it, bit it was along the lines of like ghowlike736394 or someshit. Just some random half words and five or six numbers. Blue ranked and had two gold medals and the rest were unplayed, so I was his third match.

EntropicByDesign

That was one of those fights where winning a around has nothing to do with it, and all you're trying to do is land a jab, for the moral victory of not getting perfected. Not salty at all though, seeing high level play fiest hand is amazing. Just so long as it doesn't happen all that often.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
FINALLY made it back to Fighter rank last night. MAAAAN that KBD makes opponents running attacks whiff like a muthafucka! Last night ive learned PATIENCE! Ive lost rounds just running into attack even tho i had the lead, then ultimately lose. But i bested a Bryan Fury 2 out of 3 sets causing my rank to go up! Every match, every set, i try to take a lil bit of something out of it to improve my Eddy. Im gonna start applying being patient for now on and let them come to me ESPECIALLY when im in the lead. I mean, they have no choice! And once i get the knock down, its mix up city bitch! And Uncle JBeezY WILL make you mad cuz NOW i know how to shut you da fuck DOWN!

WOOOO OOOOO! I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!

I love how we are using this thread to document our journey through the ranks. Good to see getting rapped online is part of the process. Now for my tale of getting bodied.

I was watching CharCup and was fortunate enough to make friends with a few people on his stream. Needless to say I was invited to a FT10 against one of my new friends and to my surprise, he was a red rank King player. Boy did he show me the holes in my offense and my ignorance in breaking his grabs. Needless to say, I was perfected, rounds stolen and my Dragunov was left in a body bag at the end of the set. He was very helpful in helping me address my issues, and tell me what to level up and learn to become a better player. My goal is to play against him again within a week or two and actually try to win a few games.

NHDR

Noob
Picked this up on launch, but only got into it really as of late. I'm excited because I finally got Kazuya's EWGF on pad into my muscle memory, now just grinding the PEWGF and doing the move out of all neutral positions (ex. dash, step, etc...).

Going to give Jin a try, too.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I love how we are using this thread to document our journey through the ranks. Good to see getting rapped online is part of the process. Now for my tale of getting bodied.

I was watching CharCup and was fortunate enough to make friends with a few people on his stream. Needless to say I was invited to a FT10 against one of my new friends and to my surprise, he was a red rank King player. Boy did he show me the holes in my offense and my ignorance in breaking his grabs. Needless to say, I was perfected, rounds stolen and my Dragunov was left in a body bag at the end of the set. He was very helpful in helping me address my issues, and tell me what to level up and learn to become a better player. My goal is to play against him again within a week or two and actually try to win a few games.
Every match is a learning process. Even though you lose, anybody is viable to win in this game! And Dragonov is one of my worst MUs against Eddy....FUCK I HATE HIM haha. BUT ive been learning how he plays, even watching JDCR, and i see MANY if not ALL Dragonov players play the same damn gameplay. I mean, who wouldn't want to exploit one of the best moves of the game aka ff2. That shit is hella PLUS. But i think i got me a gameplan against him now. So whenever I am ready, I shall summon you for some matches. Perhaps today after work around 5pm PST ;)

EntropicByDesign

I'll find some way to upload my notes in a bit.

Leo does literally everything. She has moves, and good moves, for every range and every situation. She's evasive as well. She's not poke, combo, wall or CH based, or more to the point, she is. All those. Her BnB combo damage off her hopkick or df2 is lower (59-61-ish) but her wall damage is dumb and most of her other launchers lead to respectable mid 60s to low 70s. Add a wall and she hits 80 easily off a ton of her very common and practical stuff. Powerful CH tools.. b1 is the cornerstone of your offense and, guess what? Counter hit launcher. Lots of good shit. Great Oki. Command throws that splat and lead to 60~ damage at the wall. Everything.

The beginning core of her offense is b1,4, this transfers into KNK stance and allows her to mix out of it, and you can also hold forward to enter her qcf dash and access that moveset. It's extremely + ob, +8 I believe, but you only really have your know or roll dash stuff accessible. A ton of that is safe though, and some launch. So mix 'em and reap the rewards, or just do nothing and deal with follow ups.. but if you can get a b1,4 out in neutral you can kill opponent momentum. It can lead to long, frustrating sequences where they have to hold quite a lot of offense before venturing a poke or step to.escape... especially since b1,4 into.knk stanxe can lead back into another f4 (manual entry for knk stance) and thus repeat the loop. Not for is against mashers but when they respect your offense it's powerful.

Main bnb is roughly:

(Launcher that knocks them into the air) f2 b1,4~f~3 b1,4~2 s! Dash up f3~f~1+2

There are variations on this, the f2 can be replaced with different moves based on what move you used to launch, upping the damage and you can do different things with the ender, but it's a start. Just remember the first b1,4~f in the combo will convert into her roll dash, you have have to let the dash almost finish before hitting 3, otherwise she's too far for the combo to keep going. You'll see what I mean.

Most launchers that start with a crumple state lead to roughly the same combo with the exception of the f2 being a move designed to pick them yo.off the ground, or just going straight into the b1,4.

She has too many good moves to list, so I'll take some pics of my notes as soon as I get out of the shower. Even my notes don't do it all justice. Like qcf3+4. Just found that move recently, and db1+2,2.