What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Drag's Hop kick its not a real hop kick but still gets the job done, he still gets a combo followup regardless. even if its not a full wall carry into screw into wall splats
In all honestly every character can look good if you know how well you can use them.

The same as ppl say Drag has no real weakness, Leo has no real weakness, Xiao has no real weakness, Asuka has no real weakness, i've been saying the same, Jin has no real weakness, that's because i know my character very well, from low to high end, from a basic to advanced perspective i know what he is capable of. But ppl still see weakness on each regardless.

Truth is, every character will mostly feel like that in a long run if you main them. Knee wrecked some shit with Kazumi on some league recently, a character many ppl trade over everything else.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Drag's Hop kick its not a real hop kick but still gets the job done, he still gets a combo followup regardless. even if its not a full wall carry into screw into wall splats
It's a mini combo which deals 41 points of damage. So it doesn't wall carry no screw into wall splat and the damage of that mini combo is way lower when compared to pretty much any character combo out of hop kick. It's also way slower then most hop kicks in the game.

I agree with the rest of you post about him and overall.

Althou i think Xiao is completely bonkers with the buffs she got in T7 and need some (slight) adjustment.

I think that clearly some characters are deficient in some areas.

Like bruce in previous tekkens had obvious weaknesses.

Not great defensive options.

Bad tracking.

Bad lows.

Some characters don't get great standing punishes(eddy). Some characters are very unsafe(raven). Some characters don't have good strings(kazuya).

But yeah characters like dragonunov and jin are very well rounded and don't really have a weakness per se.

They can do everything well.

That's if you look at things based on categories.

Like for tekken the categories would be...

- Punishing

- Pressure

- Mixup

- Defense

Of course if you ignore categories you can find problems with every character.

I would say dragunov has good defense because he has a really good backswing blow, safe low crush, and a counter. But if you look for individual tools you might say his weakness is he doesn't have a hop kick. Despite that he has other defensive options to make up for that.

Immortal

Blind justice....
You can't go by categories in Tekken. If you go by categories in Tekken you will end up with conclusion that nearly 70% of the cast is well rounded / balanced. Coz Tekken is pretty balanced game. So there is no point in doing so.

Differences are in small things, that's why you go by individual tools and that's pretty much what everybody is doing.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You people should stop talking about things you dont understand. Build in latency is heavily tied to how netcode in Tekken 7 is done. Bringing it down to 2 frames would coz input delays (like for example in MK9) between people who have latency higher than 32 ms between them. Which would be for most. PC version has about 5 frames latency (~80ms) and its the lowest they can go probable + you can disable VSYNC on PC which further mitigate input latency (its always on, on consoles).

And you can see even on PC that playing anything below 4 bars it totally unplayable, stuttering is abysmal. It's way worse than 3 bars on consoles coz lower built in latency on PC. So while overall PC version is better in every aspect of the game you have to play people to which you have low latency otherwise its can be worse (3 bars and lower) than on consoles.

There is no magic trick here, Tekken 7 does not use GGPO for technical reasons (it's very hard to do in 3D fighting game), so adding built in latency was the only way to go (not 2f of latency coz thats laughable, 5+).
I don't know much of anything about netcode other than what plays good and what doesn't, but if 3D is an issue then why would a game like Soul Calibur which was also made by Namco have had a really solid netcode and Tekken has all the lag?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Every Jin Biggest weakness he had previous T7 he doesn't have them which was damage, a safe launcher, good tracking moves.
Now he has a safe launcher which is one the best moves in the game and heavily rewards his spacing, a bunch of safe CH launchers, a bunch of homing moves that launches on CH and i still find it dumb that ppl say his damage is average, when he gets like 93 damage off a launcher into a wall carry plus wall damage which more than 50% of health. Add all this to his already good poking game.

Pure math, tekken health 170 points, 85 damage is half, anything above this is way beyond above average, even mishimas can't get 70 wall less without a good launcher and a good filler.

CKT Fergus guys its just to get a general feel of a character, while in fact it doesn't go too much in detail, they said Devil Jin has no weakness.

Everything Steve does works on his favor, Dragunov can do everything.
The only character i think its really this dumb is Xiaoyu indeed, no character should ever be able to ignore most of the cast moveset

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I decided to have a go at it and I was finally able to land taunt - b4 with Bryan, ended up spending hours practicing it lol. It's completely different than doing f2,1,4 which can be hit after the knee makes contact and you can hit the attack a frame after you hit forward. I started off with practicing hitting back and 4 on the exact same frame, then getting a feel for the timing by doing taunt into 3. I started getting it semi consistently on 1p but 2p is problematic.

I watched Mr Naps do iWS3,4 - qcb2,4 after ws1. Turns out you can do the same filler after jet uppercut as well but it's hard. Works on-axis even on Xiayou. 72 damage without wall and 96 with wall if you go for b3f - qcf2,1 (W!) - b3f - WS3,4.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I decided to have a go at it and I was finally able to land taunt - b4 with Bryan, ended up spending hours practicing it lol. It's completely different than doing f2,1,4 which can be hit after the knee makes contact and you can hit the attack a frame after you hit forward. I started off with practicing hitting back and 4 on the exact same frame, then getting a feel for the timing by doing taunt into 3. I started getting it semi consistently on 1p but 2p is problematic.

I watched Mr Naps do iWS3,4 - qcb2,4 after ws1. Turns out you can do the same filler after jet uppercut as well but it's hard. Works on-axis even on Xiayou. 72 damage without wall and 96 with wall if you go for b3f - qcf2,1 (W!) - b3f - WS3,4.
Taunt B4 is so hard, i luckily tried once, and got it on the first try and that was it, for the next 10 minutes or so, wasn't able to get even another one, something to look up on future.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Taunt B4 is so hard, i luckily tried once, and got it on the first try and that was it, for the next 10 minutes or so, wasn't able to get even another one, something to look up on future.
I always thought not being able to hit it had something to do with HDTV display lag, turns out I just needed to git gud lol. Honestly, hitting a directional input and a face button on the exact same frame is harder than doing electrics. I just always hit the 2 after hitting d as I am sliding from d to df so the input having multiple parts makes it easier to time properly.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Now, all I need to do is make a pact with Satan to be able to hit Taunt - Jet uppercut.

Edit: In all seriousness, how does one begin breaking down that input? You need to hit forward at the exact moment the knee connects, you need to have only 1 frame of neutral after it and after that you need to hit 2 and b on the exact same frame... Not worth practicing really, considering midscreen taunt is a gimmick and at the wall b4 leads to more damage.

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
I don't know much of anything about netcode other than what plays good and what doesn't, but if 3D is an issue then why would a game like Soul Calibur which was also made by Namco have had a really solid netcode and Tekken has all the lag?
Which Soul Calibur would that be? Coz most of them had trash to mediocre netcode nothing really better than Tekken 7. Soul Calibur V was maybe a bit better but the answer to why is quite obvious. With consoles you have very limited (hardware) resources. More of those were used in SCV on online (to account for latency and some simple rollback) than in Tekken 7, where consoles barely can handle gutted visuals (compared to PC).

Can't have it both ways, unless you're on PC.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Everybody who hasn't played Tekken since 3 says they were unbeatable with Eddy Gordo :D
I was unbeatable with Eddy Gordo. I didn't even needed directionals, and recently my wife picked Eddy, so i taught her the same technique lmao.
:DOGE

Which Soul Calibur would that be? Coz most of them had trash to mediocre netcode nothing really better than Tekken 7. Soul Calibur V was maybe a bit better but the answer to why is quite obvious. With consoles you have very limited (hardware) resources. More of those were used in SCV on online (to account for latency and some simple rollback) than in Tekken 7, where consoles barely can handle gutted visuals (compared to PC).

PC Master Race

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

I didn't play it (thought it was trash and they removed all the good characters), but I remember a bunch of people saying SCV had a great online. That sucks though. Hopefully the next wave of gen consoles will be more focused for online play, but it seems doubtful.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Low launchers in tekken might not even do as much damage so ppl see 41 to 53 as something smaller or insignificant, so they tend to take the hit from these things often.

However, those same low launchers that do "insignificant" damage tend to stack, a combo that does 42 damage twice in a row is 82 which is like 2 points away of being 50% health, add this to the fact that there is also a possibility of said character hits you with a real launcher into a wall carry into a wall splat and wall hits, the full package which does like 88 to 90 damage easily with no rage.

These are reasons why Devil Jin's Hellsweep Electric or 1+4 for 46 or 52, Jin's Hellsweep combos for 42 or 47, Drag hop kick combo for 41, these moves should never be taken lightly, because on a long run they're slowly killing you with a move you don't seem to be too much worried blocking or predicting.

And when you do, you're already a:

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
Pure math, tekken health 170 points, 85 damage is half, anything above this is way beyond above average, even mishimas can't get 70 wall less without a good launcher and a good filler.
The lifebar's been changed to 170? Is this a console change or just a T7 change?
I thought they were always 180.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
4f on PC because vsync can be turned off. X1 has 7f because it's on lower graphical settings.

Is this universal? 170 is a weird choice of 100%
yes it is.
And its not 170% its just 170 points of health, any damage you do is based on that rather than counting your damage as % like MK does.
So 70 points damage is close to 45%

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
yes it is.
And its not 170% its just 170 points of health, any damage you do is based on that rather than counting your damage as % like MK does.
So 70 points damage is close to 45%
no I know it's not 100% I meant that it's weird that having 170 points of health is your full 100% health.

'cause in SF for example it's 1000 which makes sense or MK at 100 again makes sense. I just wonder as to what the basis was as to choosing 170. I'd get it if it wasn't universal and base characters would have 150 or something but 170 is just so odd.

Israel

Noob
The only character i think its really this dumb is Xiaoyu indeed, no character should ever be able to ignore most of the cast moveset
Ima save you some stress mate and say keep this to yourself. No one in America will admit this about ling. Ive tried for 4 years.

no I know it's not 100% I meant that it's weird that having 170 points of health is your full 100% health.

'cause in SF for example it's 1000 which makes sense or MK at 100 again makes sense. I just wonder as to what the basis was as to choosing 170. I'd get it if it wasn't universal and base characters would have 150 or something but 170 is just so odd.
Yeah it's a pretty weird number to choose like in KI where each character has 360 health