What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
8 frames of input lag needs to go away, SFV had a bad experience with this, how come they still do it anyway?
We need to bring it down to 6 at least.
So my 100$ combos become super consistent than they already are, and my electric punishes start to be a damn threat.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
8 frames of input lag needs to go away, SFV had a bad experience with this, how come they still do it anyway?
So my 100$ combos become super consistent than they already are, and my electric punishes start to be a damn threat.
what is the input lag for PC I know its lower without vsync but I don't know what it is now.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
what is the input lag for PC I know its lower without vsync but I don't know what it is now.
I dunno either but i've heard is a lot better.

Also @16 Bit you might want to bring this up to lord Paulo and John Edwards attention, having this feature in training mode for future NRS games its a huge step forward and a quality of life change, currently we're the leading fighting game with less input lag and better netcode, who would have though right? After being one of the worse in past years :D

Just hope you guys can refine the input system and we're gold.
#truebeliever

Last edited:

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I dunno either but i've heard is a lot better.

Also @16bit you might want to bring this down to lord Paulo and John Edwards attention, having this feature in training mode for future NRS games its a huge step forward
I wonder if it is something they can easily change for ps4 and xbox maybe just like disabling vsync or something if its forced on.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
man i finally played a good drag, shit is so scary. Seems like everything he does is safe and his pressure is insane with running punch, his fast low and his overhead smash. His SS seems really fucking good also, I need to play this dude.

Is his df2 safe and launch crouch?

Immortal

Blind justice....
You people should stop talking about things you dont understand. Build in latency is heavily tied to how netcode in Tekken 7 is done. Bringing it down to 2 frames would coz input delays (like for example in MK9) between people who have latency higher than 32 ms between them. Which would be for most. PC version has about 5 frames latency (~80ms) and its the lowest they can go probable + you can disable VSYNC on PC which further mitigate input latency (its always on, on consoles).

And you can see even on PC that playing anything below 4 bars it totally unplayable, stuttering is abysmal. It's way worse than 3 bars on consoles coz lower built in latency on PC. So while overall PC version is better in every aspect of the game you have to play people to which you have low latency otherwise its can be worse (3 bars and lower) than on consoles.

There is no magic trick here, Tekken 7 does not use GGPO for technical reasons (it's very hard to do in 3D fighting game), so adding built in latency was the only way to go (not 2f of latency coz thats laughable, 5+).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You people should stop talking about things you dont understand. Build in latency is heavily tied to how netcode in Tekken 7 is done. Bringing it down to 2 frames would coz input delays (like for example in MK9) between people who have latency higher than 32 ms between them. Which would be for most. PC version has about 5 frames latency (~80ms) and its the lowest they can go probable + you can disable VSYNC on PC which further mitigate input latency (its always on, on consoles).

And you can see even on PC that playing anything below 4 bars it totally unplayable, stuttering is abysmal. It's way worse than 3 bars on consoles coz lower built in latency on PC. So while overall PC version is better in every aspect of the game you have to play people to which you have low latency otherwise its can be worse (3 bars and lower) than on consoles.

There is no magic trick here, Tekken 7 does not use GGPO for technical reasons (it's very hard to do in 3D fighting game), so adding built in latency was the only way to go (not 2f of latency coz thats laughable, 5+).
Honestly even on consoles anything behind 4 bars is hilarious, its either you get 4 or 5, and there has been reports that 4 bars on T7 is way worse than 4 bars in TTT2 lol.

ppl aren't really asking for much, but 8f is still insane, most fighting games have it at 6f at best, if they could even by a change bring close to this magic number it will be great, specially for offline scene, there is really no reason for a 2 vs 2 on the same console offline to be this heavy because online built in latency (which we always know it exists since its seems to be the working formula for now.)

Now this not talking things we don't understand was a bit too far lol, we know tekken build their online netcode around input lag, they've been doing it since ttt2 or so since t6 was bad.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I've been thinking of putting in some time with another character. Probably Jack. I'll still play Katarina. Hi @Sutter Pain.

I understand this post but it's still kind of shitty to see top players switch to PC.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
man i finally played a good drag, shit is so scary. Seems like everything he does is safe and his pressure is insane with running punch, his fast low and his overhead smash. His SS seems really fucking good also, I need to play this dude.

Is his df2 safe and launch crouch?
Drag's d2 is -13, Kazuya can launch punish it and a few so characters.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've been thinking of putting in some time with another character. Probably Jack. I'll still play Katarina. Hi @Sutter Pain.

I understand this post but it's still kind of shitty to see top players switch to PC.
Chikurin switched to PC, knee switched to PC, Aris switched to PC, every possible top player out there except for nobi is playing on PC, Nobi himself said he will change to PC after EVO.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Honestly even on consoles anything behind 4 bars is hilarious, its either you get 4 or 5, and there has been reports that 4 bars on T7 is way worse than 4 bars in TTT2 lol.

ppl aren't really asking for much, but 8f is still insane, most fighting games have it at 6f at best, if they could even by a change bring close to this magic number it will be great, specially for offline scene, there is really no reason for a 2 vs 2 on the same console offline to be this heavy because online built in latency (which we always know it exists since its seems to be the working formula for now.)

Now this not talking things we don't understand was a bit too far lol, we know tekken build their online netcode around input lag, they've been doing it since ttt2 or so since t6 was bad.
Its not 8 frames, it's 7,2 on PS4 and 6,3 on X1. Im pretty sure they can go down to 6f on consoles but for safety reasons they didn't. T7 4 bars is only slightly worse than 4 bars in TTT2, that one had around 6,5 frames of delay built in.

Tekken 6 netcode was trash, TTT2 was the same way till they finally patched it. T7 is pretty much the same as TTT2 after the patch. The only version way better is the PC one.

Every Tekken (top) player switched already or gonna switch soon enough to PC. There is no reason to play a subpar version of the game if you can play the best one. Difference in Tekken 7 between consoles and PC version is just too big to not switch. And its not only the build in latency (and ability to disable VSYNC on PC) but also loading times not to mention graphics coz thats not really the most important thing (althou nice).

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Pretty easy to balance a game when its the 9th iteration of a series where not much has changed besides a new combo mechanics, old character getting a few new moves, and a few new characters, half of which are based on old characters.

Plus having a 2 year beta test in Japanese arcades doesn't hurt.
I would take that any day over a game that is only decently balanced in the last 4 months of its life before its dead.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
No. Play him and see for yourself. Unless you're JDCR; he has shortcomings like pretty much any character in Tekken.
I am gonna pick him up for sure, he seems overall really solid overall and execution isn't much of a factor and he looks pretty cool.

I would take that any day over a game that is only decently balanced in the last 4 months of its life before its dead.
Oh for sure. I'm just saying that you can't compare the balance of tekken to the balance of a game like Injustice. The tekken devs have had a lot more time to fine tune the balance of this game.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Oh for sure. I'm just saying that you can't compare the balance of tekken to the balance of a game like Injustice. The tekken devs have had a lot more time to fine tune the balance of this game.
Oh i def agree and I think its how all devs should do it. T7 I think took a bit to long to make on console PC though.

No. Play him and see for yourself. Unless you're JDCR; he has shortcomings like pretty much any character in Tekken.
What shortcomings?

He has...
- Good standing punishes, great ws punishes
- Great pressure with wr2
- Safe low crush
- Backswing blow that's a launcher on normal hit
- Great lows
- Fast tracking move
- Stagger strings

I mean he has everything.

His main weakness in previous tekkens was he couldn't get a full combo off his low sweep but in tekken 7 he can.

So what are his weaknesses exactly?

Immortal

Blind justice....
What shortcomings?

He has...
- Good standing punishes, great ws punishes
- Great pressure with wr2
- Safe low crush
- Backswing blow that's a launcher on normal hit
- Great lows
- Fast tracking move
- Stagger strings

I mean he has everything.

His main weakness in previous tekkens was he couldn't get a full combo off his low sweep but in tekken 7 he can.

So what are his weaknesses exactly?
Thats such BS it's mind blowing.

- meh 1,1 into whatever string, while some characters have basic strings which are +on block and even end with a mid or have extensions to 4 or even 5 hits

- wr2 is great but unless youre Korean, there is no way you will get it all the time point blank in a real match and sure you can mash 4 as an extension of fucked up wr2 but thats the end of your pressure and if you get ff2 instead youre fucked.

- great lows? :D d2 is -13 on block and can be launch punished by some characters; it's pretty good but not the greatest, d4 sucks ballz and is -9 ON HIT

- slow ass CH launchers

- no hopkick, the one he has hardly counts as one

- weird hitbox issues where some of his mid actually acts like a high and so can be ducked by some characters

Dragunov is a solid character no doubt about it.

He just isn't as great as people think he is. JDCR and few other top players make him look great but then again they could make any character look great.

I am gonna pick him up for sure, he seems overall really solid overall and execution isn't much of a factor and he looks pretty cool.
He is solid. Most of his stuff is pretty easy to do, a side from point blank wr2 which is really hard to get 10/10 and sadly it's his best pressure tool.

Last edited: