What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I just started writing and came up with this incoherent babble:

I have come to the conclusion that without the broken tag damage and Bruce to pick up Kazuya's slack, I suck ass with solo Kazuya. It requires too much mental effort, neutral and patience to win players of equal skill level in short sets or single matches. The fast paced, compact poking style of Tekken is just vastly superior over the lame bait'n'wait style or at least it's way easier to execute. People will naturally play in a more cautious and safe way when facing Kazuya so they leave less openings to counter or punish and get any offence going. Kazuya must score knockdowns to set anything up. Like seriously, his neutral is about abusing electrics and optionally looking to ss and mist step at around range 1,5-2 in case the opponent likes to random duck so you can space f3 properly and use it from a sidestep as to not have it whiff and make sure the opponent isn't just looking to duck. Then if your opponent isn't too button happy you can go in and have that ws4 make contact, maybe go in with 1,1 or FC df3+4 from wave dash (to crush), maybe use ws3 to check sloppy sidewalkers. But that's pretty much it. The character is just way too stripped of options for compact offensive play. Any mids besides ws4, f4 or running 3 get blocked and your momentum is terminated.

All you need to do with poke heavy characters is to look at the opposing character's upper back to see and recognize strings as fast as possible, there is a lesser chance of you picking the wrong punish or counterpoke and failing to punish properly or whiffing your counterpoke to a sidestep or backdash setup. You can see their posture drop if they go for sweeping lows and maybe even block the slower ones, you can also see the hands come out and give yourself a chance to break throws. You see them move forward after both letting the game go back to neutral, just ss-block and you won't get hit by random shit and you won't block + on block mids. You don't even need to look at your character when you know where you are on the screen based on your inputs, like obviously you will see your character with your peripheral vision, but I have come to the conclusion that the reason I haven't learned to break throws is because I don't focus on that exact point on my opponents character all the time, I try to play too much neutral and let my eyes wander. I have been inputting the correct breaks but too late and it's just easier to break throws when they come from setups and you are anticipating buttons from hit- or blockstun and your opponent isn't moving around for extended periods of time.

Heihachi allows me to play the game exactly the way I want to play it. He is strong at all ranges and allows me to force the opponent to play the compact up close style of Tekken. But sometimes when facing players who like to backdash incessantly instead of fighting me back or for some other reason I'll pick Bryan. I just think for a more neutral focused game, he is superior to Kazuya and pretty much everyone else. Instead of being limited to just punishment, Oki and 50/50's you can do whatever you want to do except frame abuse on offence. Just let the +3 from blocked b1 go, same as the +4's from df21, 14 and qcb3 on hit. The db4 attempts from +4 are not really worth it anymore with low parries being a lot stronger, unless you face someone who will not duck no matter what you do or someone who doesn't attempt to fuzzy into low parry then stand back up. Df2,1 and 1,4 actually allow a backdash whiff setup on hit as well for the usual "sidestep cancelled into launcher" attempts that people who know the Bryan match-up like to throw out.They'll whiff that hop kick right in front of you. Bryan flows so seamlessly between neutral and poking as long as you know your ranges, with Kazuya you have crap ton of "blind spots" that you can't really fill with anything besides EWGF or fF2 and you are forced to take risks regularly to get anything going.

As for Josie I am undecided, the character plays in a completely different way to Bruce and I don't like what I've seen. I'll probably try her out and play Kazuya as well just because, but Heihachi and Bryan are my definite favourites. Chances are I'll mess around with Dragunov, Jin and Devil Jin as I have in the past but fail to clutch out matches miserably against players of equal skill once more lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is everyone sticking to their classic mains or is anyone thinking of doing a switch?

I feel like I've played Bryan for so long that this time I'm going to switch it up and main a different character to spice things up a bit. I'll still use him because it'll still be there, but I'm strongly considering going all Josie or Asuka this time around.
Although i will definitely main jin, i have a good set of different character to learn over the years now over mishimas which are my secondaries.
Claudio, master raven, gigas, akuma

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Is everyone sticking to their classic mains or is anyone thinking of doing a switch?

I feel like I've played Bryan for so long that this time I'm going to switch it up and main a different character to spice things up a bit. I'll still use him because it'll still be there, but I'm strongly considering going all Josie or Asuka this time around.
gotta stick with kaz. to me he is the most bad ass fighting game character ever and is hella fun to play

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
gotta stick with kaz. to me he is the most bad ass fighting game character ever and is hella fun to play
He is bad ass tho.

Lee is like a girly man, compared to Kazuya.

Tbh, I want to play Lee cause he doesn't have a grandmaster in Tekken 7. If Kazuya was easier to poke with and get a handle on, it'd be him for sure.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.

Def sticking with Kaz and DJ and a Heihachi, put in way to much work with them and my stick is basically jello now due to them lol. My for fun characters Roger and Wang not looking to be in the game as I have not followed it closely at all and still am kinda bummed. Kaz ch df2 pewgf is so rewarding and I hope they didnt loosen the timing for it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its seems we have a lot of Mishima players in here, who would have though lol, no wonder we like Mortal Kombat.
Well, if Anyone is having trouble with Kaz lemme know, he is definitely dificult but once your defense is on point he becomes very rewarding
I might ask a bunch of stuff to Smoke related to Heihachi tho, he is the one i'm less used to play with since @DarkSlayerSmith always picks him up most of the time, so i play more Kazuya and Dvj besides Jin.

Will try violet as well, london qualifier had me hype for those combos.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If Anyone wants to know the top 15 moves of your characters check this link the community has built, the only one missing are the console versions characters and Kazumi which no one seems to play or look at in the community, but she seems pretty solid and i like her a lot, definitely a character to try out at launch.
And of course, you will see my name in the Jin section though the description weren't made by me, there is a lot of my feedback in many of those moves.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14QszwNxYv5VpTq2BY9jAN972SeZRbbw-oqj2dONWINI/edit

So final version of the game what's better than TTT2?
No Tag (thank fucking god) No Tag Shenanigans like tag crash, or tag out slide, its all gone
No constant rage activation and character tagging with full rage and doing stupid damage.
K system makes combos better appealing than bound which brings some good things to the table such as:
Low parry is now stronger since it gives full combo now that everyone has a homing that will connect after and may even extend the damage with the help of a wall, making using lows somewhat scarier to reactive players.
Wall Carry characters now do just as much damage as a regular character does, since there is no corner bound for adicional damage, so overall the damage is the same.
Jin
Every character has at least a area in the game which they dominate or are better in the game or among the best, spreading the balance of usefulness of each char to a technical level.
Beginner movement has been buffed, walking back and back dash now have universal speeds.
Sidestep has been buffed in distance, and sidestep block has been removed so homing are deadlier.
Stage gimmicks like floor break and balcony break are much better since they consume the bound you would use to extend combos in TTT2.
Power Crush will force some rushdown happy players to be kept in check
Rage still buffs damage but only for 10% or 8% more, nothing too fucking hilarious like T6 or TTT2 which was stupid as fuck, but still stupid tho.
Rage Art will now keep rush happy players in check.
Jin again just because lol
No sign of fucking Lei, though bears, eddy and bob made it, but they all seemed to be nerfed.
Throw nerfs at least to me are a welcoming had, i was bad at reacting to throws anyway lol.
Some Oki has been nerfed, which is good for me too, i was terrible at those anyway lol.
Jukebox is back and finally its bundled in the game for free and you won't have to pay for it, while i think some tracks of T7 are amazing, i hated some of the console versions as well a very few ones in some stages from arcade, so i'm going to have some fun.
Jin has all my favorite costumes from his previous games, t4, t6 mishima zaibatsu leader, classic, and t7 is also awesome, i'm not forced to use the classic costume like in TTT2.
If one thing Harada did that i enjoy a lot is that he bridged a gap between veteran and ppl coming from other fighting games, i like this a lot he even added akuma with a i10 reversal to punish tekken players, removed some stuffs that were only accessible if you were old school or korean to bring everyone to a sort of level play field, this game is going to be so interesting.
Superior training mode over many other fighting games.
Frame data rules with stapples and such which makes it easier to engage in how the game works
Configure controllers in the select screen as well as button check them before going to pick your character.

What's bad just as TTT2?
The load times
Customize mode is still lack luster, lots of recycled items from TTT2, hope the DLC brings more options.

What is bad than TTT2
1 button Rage Art (Accessibility)

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Has anyone noticed that Tekken'Tekken's music seems to sync really well with the onscreen action?

Definitely got to stick with Law, I love my knee grab combo starter. But I got to learn LC and Eddy just so I can switch from one salt generator to the next. Then cap it off with some Law shenanigans.

Actually just looked at the roster and I'm interested in Law, LC, Eddy (I heard he's weaker now. Anyone know if anyone been doing any damage with him?), Hwowrang, Miguel, Jack-7. Then there's characters I'm interested in that I have no clue about like Lili, Asuka, Steve. 9 charcaters I know I'll have fun with for a year.

Tekken needs one of those Facebook polls so I can know which character I should play.

Last edited:

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Im sad to say I might be late to the T7 party:(

My current CPU does not play nice with new games and my new build will probably not be ready for a month minimum.

Also I have to replace my damn joystick which reminds me does anyone have any experience with a 4lb spring? I would love the idea of resetting back to neutral quicker as a mishima player.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Im sad to say I might be late to the T7 party:(

My current CPU does not play nice with new games and my new build will probably not be ready for a month minimum.

Also I have to replace my damn joystick which reminds me does anyone have any experience with a 4lb spring? I would love the idea of resetting back to neutral quicker as a mishima player.
Just a guess...
https://goo.gl/images/7V8pAx
...but it doesn't sound to me like your current setup will support T7.

Xbox1?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Just a guess...
https://goo.gl/images/7V8pAx
...but it doesn't sound to me like your current setup will support T7.

Xbox1?
Close its a i5-2500 non k version. I refuse to buy another console unless super dirt cheap and even then I am not paying to buy a fancy new stick or mess with a converter because MS\Sony is greedy. My roomate does have a xbox1 and PS4 so I can play all the console exclusives.

For the record I have nothing against consoles they are just not for me anymore.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Oh my goodness, I just went back and found a online match of my kaz from t6. I went from deathfisting fools in t2 at Tilt in the mall to never playing another fighting game until t7.

This is prob 2-3 weeks after I got the game I couldn't even kbd or wd and if anyone played t6 they know how bad the netcode was lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Oh my goodness, I just went back and found a online match of my kaz from t6. I went from deathfisting fools in t2 at Tilt in the mall to never playing another fighting game until t7.

This is prob 2-3 weeks after I got the game I couldn't even kbd or wd and if anyone played t6 they know how bad the netcode was lol.

And on this day, no replays were skipped.

GAV

For me, in every Tekken, damage is just muscle memory. I think its like this for alot of veteran players. I can't even teach anyone combos because I don't actually know any of the notations for description. I just do them. What takes time with every installment is movement until my spacing gets good, followed by reactions to keep it good consistently against good players. Tekken doesn't really change in terms of damage by tweaking timings or notations. It feels a little different every installment in neutral only.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
For me, in every Tekken, damage is just muscle memory. I think its like this for alot of veteran players. I can't even teach anyone combos because I don't actually know any of the notations for description. I just do them. What takes time with every installment is movement until my spacing gets good, followed by reactions to keep it good consistently against good players. Tekken doesn't really change in terms of damage by tweaking timings or notations. It feels a little different every installment in neutral.
Yeah I know what you mean I do not remember many notations myself but I know I could pick up Roger Jr do all his goofy RS combos.

For me I am just gonna try to figure out what moves changed which is gonna be hard because I think I have partially smoked myself stupid lol. Next figure out what all the new cast does because I have not been following this game at all and have only in the last 2 days have caught the hype bug.

GAV

Yeah I know what you mean I do not remember many notations myself but I know I could pick up Roger Jr do all his goofy RS combos.

For me I am just gonna try to figure out what moves changed which is gonna be hard because I think I have partially smoked myself stupid lol. Next figure out what all the new cast does because I have not been following this game at all and have only in the last 2 days have caught the hype bug.
You can get that focus back with one jog. You just need to get your heart rate up.

Its never what anyone wants to hear, but its the truth.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
6:20 - 6:40 = Party time starts.
15:20 = Nice double jump sequence on the knockdown
18:09 = I know this move was safe in TTT2 but I dont know if it still is with the power crush properties. It was funny though.
There was lots of other moments but these stood out most to me.
I actually tagged you because of 6:20 to 6:40 lol