What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
What do you guys all think of the Yoshimitsu player KaneandTrench who is killing it in Europe right now?
Is he just not versing strong competition, or is he actually a force to be reckoned with and could do some damage internationally?

@Eddy Wang @SaltShaker @Azarashi Elder @Smoke_Of_Finland
KaneAndTrench looks solid. It's difficult to gauge his exact level because Yoshi is a lot more about "playing the player" rather than assessing match-up specific situations and choosing your options based on that.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
What do you guys all think of the Yoshimitsu player KaneandTrench who is killing it in Europe right now?
Is he just not versing strong competition, or is he actually a force to be reckoned with and could do some damage internationally?
I think there's a bit of both going on.

Please keep in mind that I'll be speaking as a spectator, and a very recently made Tekken enthusiast.

With that said, I've devoured hours of tournament footage, and from what I saw at the UK qualifiers specifically, there weren't as many veterans there. A lot of them were young guys that were new to the game and/or the series in general and as such, they're going to be playing at a disadvantage. Tekken is, as explained to me, a legacy game. And the skills you learn in the previous games can largely be transferred over. This is very different from Mortal Kombat, where each iteration is really its own animal. Mk9 is not MK vs DC or MKX or UMK3, and you can't carry your skills over because the combos and commands are different from game to game. If I play MK9 and I'm used to a small sequence of inputs for Scorpion's spear, I have to unlearn that familiarity and start over again, with the sequel.

Another thing to keep in mind is the "Korean backdash", right? You must imagine that the technique originated, or was at the very least mastered, in that area of the world. In the qualifiers, some of the players could do it and some of them could not. Of course, if you're better at moving and controlling your character than your opponent, you're going to have a significant advantage. Now, that doesn't guarantee you the victory, but I would take those odds any day. Kaneandtrench showed both superior movement and, what appeared to be an in depth knowledge of Yoshimitsu, which I can only imagine comes from previous games.

That brings me to my last point, and that's access to Tekken 7. We've been awaiting the official console release for some time, but the game has been in arcade form since 2015. Arcades or "Game Stations" are much more prevalent in Japan (and apparently Korea) than other parts of the world. I can't find any machines here in the States, and from what was said in the qualifiers, they really don't have access to the game over there in the UK, either.

So, you have to imagine that Kaneandtrench would have a tough hill to climb against foreign competition. Especially those that are just as knowledgeable as him, just as experienced as him, who've had access to this version of Tekken for a much longer period, and who regularly play (presumably) tougher competition.

I wouldn't rule out a Top 8 showing against those sharks, but I wouldn't expect it either.

Last edited:

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Here's an interesting thing that I'll just note here:

Naturally, I'm following Tekken 7 on twitch.

Additionally, I'm following Green Tekken, Royal Arcade Tekken, Tekken_7_Malaysia and another arcade stream channel that I don't know the name of (because I don't read Japanese). Anyway, whenever one of these channels starts broadcasting, I can watch them just fine, but when they're not... ''Tekken 7 Fated Retribution'' disappears from my ''Followed Games'' list, and the game won't show up in the search engine.

I'm bout to hit up the streams Smoke listed, because sometimes I want to watch some live matches while I'm eating, and apparently, Tekken 7 doesn't exist in the United States...until Asia says it does.

So yeah, I can't wait for this game to come out. Not only so I can play it, but also so I can just watch it, whenever I want.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I found some interesting tech with Bryan. Basically if you make a read on someone going to stick out a 2-hit df1-series poke with no tracking to that character's right, you can CH them with fF4 between the hits because fF4 has a built in sidestep left. You just need to input the fF4 perfectly, which honestly isn't too hard and even if you lose 1 frame it's still going to do the same thing. In TTT2 I didn't think much of the built-in sidestep left property of fF4, but now with it being a CH launcher it's going to be absolute death if you catch someone with it on CH. Assuming the damage is still 43 pts, it's going to CH for 51 points of damage into ws3,4 - 3,3,4 combo or some other wall carry variant.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
The Tekken 7 UK Championship treks onward to London!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day in the United States. but in England, it's a day to qualify or die in a pool of Sharks!

@EXP Leisure on 60 Dace Road, the Tekken 7 Killers will devour the kittens in this competitive tournament. Sign up starts at the door, 10:00 am London time, and the carnage begins at high noon! (11:00 am UTC).

All of those unable, or unwilling to attend, can watch the blood shed on the bandainamcoeurope twitch channel!

Source: http://www.ngievents.co.uk/

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
^And apparently the most seasoned samurai stands undefeated!

It was all spinning and tricks and unblockables.

Who can stop this machine?

Who will dethrone the champion?

Maybe there is an answer & maybe... just maybe, there are no worthy challengers left!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
^And apparently the most seasoned samurai stands undefeated!

It was all spinning and tricks and unblockables.

Who can stop this machine?

Who will dethrone the champion?

Maybe there is an answer & maybe... just maybe, there are no worthy challengers left!
Pretty sure Fergus has a chance, the final tournament will be very interesting indeed.

Only 3 weeks left, 3 weeks left before i start to show off, i'm going to dedicate myself heavily in this game until MK11 is out.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
So I just snap bought this Seimitsu LS-32 joystick from ebay

This will be speaking Greek to you pad players (unless you speak Greek) but the Seimitsu brand is a Sanwa competitor. This stick in particular, is supposed to have a shorter throw, with a more stiff and firmer feel (that's what she said) than the loose Hyabusa sticks I've used in Hori products. In short, it'll give me more resistance, which is something I'm eager to try. The LS-40 is supposed to have the shortest throw available, but since I have no experience with it, I have no clue if I'd prefer it over the LS-32.

Unfortunately, I didn't do any shopping around, and since the stick is in China, it could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to arrive. So far, I'm resisting buying an LS-40, just to see how that performs until the LS-32 gets here. If I do jump the gun and buy a 40, the resulting problem is just one of experience. If I had both sticks at the same time, I could make an easy preference choice, but if I get used to the LS-40 before hand, I might reject the 32, even if it's the better stick for me in the long run. I figure it's best to try the 32 and buy the LS-40 if I'm not satisfied.

...So what does this have to do with Tekken? Actually, a lot.

I stated previously that I had been using Tag 2 to practice movement, until T7 comes out. I had just been taking 15-20 minutes a day, attempting the Korean back dash, forward dash and a little wave dashing. Well, I decided that the stick I have suffers from normal wear and tear, and since I was getting unwanted inputs, I felt it was best to stop practicing entirely, until I settled on a new stick.

So the game is quite a bit different for me than for you all, on a PS4 pad. Sure, you could buy a new pad at retail price, but the feel of the pad is going to be stock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but t's not like you can special order a controller with a "loose" D-Pad or analog sticks.

Maybe it's akin to console vs PC. There are a lot more customizable options (and therefore, a sea of headaches) to consider when buying, modding, and or adjusting an arcade stick. So in a way, the simplicity of pad is a benefit, depending on the type of player you are.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I rewinded that clip multiple times and it would seem that Jin's f4 was out first but the Cali roll indeed went under it. This is total bullshit as f4 is one of the lowest hitting mids in the game. Seriously, if that happens to Heihachi's f3 I am going to create a Twitter account just to spam Harada about this bitch all day 'erry day lol.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
sick to death of sfv and its unbalanced cast of scrub friendly button mashing brain dead game play.
season 2 is as bad as early mkx with its bullshit offence and unreactable 50 50 trash.
for the last 12 months i have been playing a game where wake up jap is a legit strat.

not only that but i can be wining 3/4 of a round only for my top teir opponent to get v trigger and i die.........

come on june 2 and i hope all these sfv and nrs scrubs try out tekken and see what a real fighting game is all about.

get bodied

mishima 4 life

Last edited:

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
In TTT2 I set the dummy as Xiaoyu and to fF3 into mashing f3+4. Instant f4 retaliation from Jin after blocking fF3 hits Xiaoyu on normal aerial hit and sends her flying across the screen. Slightly delayed f4 does the same thing with the added counter hit damage. I managed to get the 2 moves to trade as well.

Having mids that hit people siderolling whiff on Cali roll is total bullshit and needs to be fixed. We'll see once the game drops but defining the actual evasiveness of Xiaoyu's different stances definitely goes onto the "first things to lab" list.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So many things to try, to optimize, can't wait, 13 more days, can't believe i've been waiting for this game ever since 2015, thank you MKX lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Is everyone sticking to their classic mains or is anyone thinking of doing a switch?

I feel like I've played Bryan for so long that this time I'm going to switch it up and main a different character to spice things up a bit. I'll still use him because it'll still be there, but I'm strongly considering going all Josie or Asuka this time around.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I never played Tekken seriously, so I don't have any attachments really.

Lee Chaolan is the character I have the most interest on, followed closely by Kazuya and Leo Kliesen. Honestly, it's probably Lee or Leo to start, as I'd prefer to learn the game pretty well (and after a long period of time) before I start messing around with"The Main Man", and practicing PEWGF n' shit.