What's new

Tekken 7 first gameplay

MILE_HIGH_CLUB

FREEDOM'S LABORATORY
Tekken just go 2d lol with the same character design and models this change is so drastic I might not make it out my door.. still 2d Tekken would be hype

trufenix

bye felicia
Never played revolution, but those supers are janky as hell. Why they're turning it into a goofy Soul Calibur / Dead or Alive cinematic over the top type thing is beyond me.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Imo Tekken has become stale. T7 looks like a rehashed T6 with no bounds and crappy supers. Isn't it suppose to run on unreal engine 4? Am not impressed so far by the graphics.

Tekken needs a major overhaul. Its the same shit every iteration with slightly different mechanics and a couple new characters.

MKX looks way better and a hell of a lot more interesting.

Still will get T7 though just to try it out.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
As much as I love TTT2 and believe that it's a fantastically crafted game, I have to begrudgingly agree that a drastic change is necessary if Tekken is to regain popularity.

Other successful fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat etc. are relatively simple to get into, even if they're very hard to learn at a high level. In Street Fighter it's easy to do basic combos, basic footsies, basic pressure etc. on a fundamental level. Whereas in Tekken, learning any of the fundamentals takes a good deal of effort, and potentially a lot of outside research.

Tekken Revolution seems to be an attempt to simplify things a bit, and all things considered it's probably a step in the right direction. And as we've seen here, some of that will be translated into Tekken 7.

The only other alternative would be for the series to become one of those 'more of the same' franchises like CoD... and quickly die out when current fans get bored of paying for the same product, whilst not bringing in any new ones.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited about them changing up the Tekken engine a bit more. :)
I agree with this but at the same time 3D fighting games will never be simple. Even stripping away advanced mechanics wouldn't help that much. 8 way movement and command attacks will always be complex at high level.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Looks like of slower than TTT2. Supers are not as climactic as I would like considering its activation requirements.

Would still probably play though.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Putting supers in the game really reminds me of Soul Calibur V, and makes me very nervous.

That being said, I'm very excited, and as a Tekken fan I'm going to stay positive. I like the new hit sparks and shiny stuff, new characters are beginner-friendly which is something the games needed, the end of the round slow-mo looks awesome though it could screw up players, no bounds is a good thing, and it seems to be much easier to get up off of the ground. I personally like the soul-crushing difficulty Tekken can have on beginner-intermediate players, but I understand that things need to be done. I still don't like those moves that high/mid crush, but I'll withhold judgement for now. Oh, and finally Leo is in! So I'm officially on the hype train.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Seems like a lot of placeholders are in the game just to show off some new mechanics so I'll wait to pass judgement.

But all in all, Tekken really needs a revolution and not an evolution to the series, in order to get back the popularity it once had.

JLG

Noob
This is going to be a pre-order for me, even though the videos are not exactly filling me with hype. I know, I know, it's just a test build. I do hope that a lot changes because right now it looks like more of the same with just slight changes from T6 and TTT2.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
I havent played Tekken since T2, and have only kept up with the series from the sidelines. But this right hurr? Ah'mma git it.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
Whats wrong with what we've seen so far seriously.
First off, there are in fact some positives that I have observed. Mainly what you stated in this post
They already have with the lessening of punishment on waking up, reducing reliance on KBD, & making movement easier. T5-TTT2 sold extremely well also so it's not like Namco is hurting.
Yes, easier wake ups is a tremendously good thing. I do not know why you say they have reduced the need of KBD(a skill that, BTW, I am physically incapable of doing) but if they did in fact movement easier that is also a great plus.
However, unto the things I dont like( and know that this is JUST based on a current in-production build):
-The sparks effects are too much. I know Marvel gets flack for being seizure inducing but this takes it to a whole other level. Law is a Bruce Lee inspired Chef, not a fucking cyborg that shoots energy.
-I dont know how they did it but they managed to make Asuka even uglier. I dont need(or want) her to be fap worthy but Christ Almighty!
-Which leads me to my next point, Lars still has an ugly as sin face model.
-Claudio, plain and simple, looks like a Final Fantasy reject. While I do admit that I am quite interested in what his flame hand stance does, he took the trend of bad character designs to a whole new level.
How? How is T7 not fresh? How is Tekken stale? How would you make it not stale? Can you even notice the changes in engine, movement, and okizeme in these vids?
You just made another interesting point. Yes, there are clear changes to movement and okizeme but only someone with KNOWLEDGE of the game can tell. I only learned about the okizeme changes because Aris and the gang pointed it out(I believe it was specifically Rickstah that first noticed it).
The fact is that only people with considerable knowledge of Tekken will noticed the subtle changes in the system. Casual viewers and even people who follow the game but arent necessarily well-versed in it like me will just see same old, same old with new mechanics thrown in to further complicated the already daunting metagame.

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
Looks great can't wait to see how the game turns out competitively, Gonna pick this up on release day.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
More comeback mechanics? I guess that's their idea of making a game more accessable...

It looks more like a remix than a complete overhaul which the series desperately needs.

haketh

Noob
Why does the series need a complete overhaul and how the hell would you do it but still live it recognizable as Tekken.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Why does the series need a complete overhaul and how the hell would you do it but still live it recognizable as Tekken.
It needs an overhaul because it's stale. It doesn't attract anybody but Tekken fans. Look at MKX and Xrd for examples on how to overhaul a game and still be recognizable as part of the series.

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
As much as I love TTT2 and believe that it's a fantastically crafted game, I have to begrudgingly agree that a drastic change is necessary if Tekken is to regain popularity.

Other successful fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat etc. are relatively simple to get into, even if they're very hard to learn at a high level. In Street Fighter it's easy to do basic combos, basic footsies, basic pressure etc. on a fundamental level. Whereas in Tekken, learning any of the fundamentals takes a good deal of effort, and potentially a lot of outside research.

Tekken Revolution seems to be an attempt to simplify things a bit, and all things considered it's probably a step in the right direction. And as we've seen here, some of that will be translated into Tekken 7.

The only other alternative would be for the series to become one of those 'more of the same' franchises like CoD... and quickly die out when current fans get bored of paying for the same product, whilst not bringing in any new ones.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited about them changing up the Tekken engine a bit more. :)
I totally agree with you. I see nothing but positives for games that are easier to get into but difficult master. In most cases it probably means bigger community, more players.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What innovations has Namco implemented that truly alter or add depth to gameplay?

Walls, bind moves, and rage, which was available and called "netsu" in the first tournament game, either extend juggles or make them more damaging.